Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1378 1379 [1380] 1381 1382 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061338 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #20685 on: January 09, 2015, 01:10:03 pm »

In short, Masamune Shirow works have confusing and vague timelines.

I'm not familiar with original manga, so thank you for saving me time I could spend trying to pull irrelevant things together  :D.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20686 on: January 09, 2015, 02:16:37 pm »

Have you ever had the problem of just feeling too bogged down by the fanbase of a show to the point that it's impacting your enjoyment? I've been having a problem with G-Reco in that I really like the show and use to look forward to every episode so much, but everywhere I go there's just constant back and forth arguments or reminders of the the arguing between the people who like it/have no trouble following it and the people who don't, and it's starting to impact my ability to enjoy watching it and ruining my enthusiasm and making me feel a little depressed because I just want the fandom war to eeeeennnnd.
The "fandom" ruined Attack on Titan for me, as well as Steins;Gate.
I don't know, personally if it ever gets to that point in a show I just lower the crap filters and ignore the fandom totally for a while. I mean nobody is forcing you to look at the fandom of a show if you don't want to, which means you can just ignore the arguments for a while and only look at the things that you want to. I've even had times before where there have been shows in this thread where the instant I see someone talking about them my eyes just automatically skim the next couple of posts.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20687 on: January 09, 2015, 02:32:46 pm »

Have you ever had the problem of just feeling too bogged down by the fanbase of a show to the point that it's impacting your enjoyment? I've been having a problem with G-Reco in that I really like the show and use to look forward to every episode so much, but everywhere I go there's just constant back and forth arguments or reminders of the the arguing between the people who like it/have no trouble following it and the people who don't, and it's starting to impact my ability to enjoy watching it and ruining my enthusiasm and making me feel a little depressed because I just want the fandom war to eeeeennnnd.
I don't know, personally if it ever gets to that point in a show I just lower the crap filters and ignore the fandom totally for a while. I mean nobody is forcing you to look at the fandom of a show if you don't want to, which means you can just ignore the arguments for a while and only look at the things that you want to. I've even had times before where there have been shows in this thread where the instant I see someone talking about them my eyes just automatically skim the next couple of posts.
Yea, I know the feeling of liking something enough to go and seek out other people who like/talk about it.
It tends to be a poor choice when you do go to a place that holds a lot of people with differing opinions of what is good or not... especially when some of those folks are actively/aggressively vocal about it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20688 on: January 09, 2015, 05:39:54 pm »

Huh, the new Jojo ending is an interesting choice.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 07:57:55 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20689 on: January 09, 2015, 07:20:39 pm »

The problem was that even in normal life I could not escape the AoT fans.

I still have a certain fondness for both, but now it's combined with a lurking bitterness that I will just have to wait to fade before I can tolerate going back to either.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20690 on: January 09, 2015, 07:54:41 pm »

I love the fistpump dance in Assassination Classroom's opening. Song is pretty catchy too.

\o, \o, \o, \o, \o, \o, \o,
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20691 on: January 09, 2015, 10:04:33 pm »

I'm (in my own opinion,) kind of new to anime, so can anyone here tell me if anything on this list is any good or worth watching? I can edit in a list of what anime I've already seen if needed.

Spoiler: List (click to show/hide)
fixed

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20692 on: January 09, 2015, 10:52:36 pm »

I'm (in my own opinion,) kind of new to anime, so can anyone here tell me if anything on this list is any good or worth watching? I can edit in a list of what anime I've already seen if needed.

fixed

I disagree, sir, I thought Ergo Proxy was flawed but still decent enough.

Knights of Sidonia, Hellsing Ultimate, Darker Than Black, Black Lagoon, Baccano!, those are all good. Hellsing Ultimate is likely one of the most offensible animes I've ever seen, so keep that in mind.

Aldnoah.Zero is probably good for most people, but I personally did not like the writing (or the ending, or the protagonist).
Blood+ is... maybe average, maybe less. I don't recall much about it now, except a few scenes. It was long and not all that well constructed.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20693 on: January 09, 2015, 10:58:13 pm »

I haven't officially seen Hellsing Ultimate, but I've seen the original anime and read the manga, which Ultimate supposedly follows more closely, so I'm probably qualified to give opinions on it.

It's mostly a fairly standard see freaks, watch freaks occasionally murder humans, watch freaks get murdered kind of deal. I thought it was entertaining, but I find it hard to call it exceptional. Some neat concepts as well. Also yes, fairly dark and excessively violent.

Assassination Classroom
wut
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20694 on: January 09, 2015, 11:00:51 pm »

throwing in my thumbs up at Unicorn as to the discussion currently occurring

Assassination Classroom
wut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMYhMnRxj-0

Just started airing today

It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20695 on: January 09, 2015, 11:36:01 pm »

Assassination Classroom
wut
Having read part of the manga a ways back and just watched the first episode... it's got an alright premise, I guess? Yellow thing blows up the moon, now highschoolers(?) have to murder it. Said yellow thing can hit mach 20 from a standing start, so... yeah.

Also moonbreaker the tentacley teaches them. It's a thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20696 on: January 09, 2015, 11:47:39 pm »

I remember seeing Assassination Classroom on a trollish 'next season' anime post a while back.

Then again, said trollish post had JJBA Stardust Crusaders on it as well
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20697 on: January 10, 2015, 01:01:08 am »

fixed

I disagree, sir, I thought Ergo Proxy was flawed but still decent enough.

Knights of Sidonia, Hellsing Ultimate, Darker Than Black, Black Lagoon, Baccano!, those are all good. Hellsing Ultimate is likely one of the most offensible animes I've ever seen, so keep that in mind.

Aldnoah.Zero is probably good for most people, but I personally did not like the writing (or the ending, or the protagonist).
Blood+ is... maybe average, maybe less. I don't recall much about it now, except a few scenes. It was long and not all that well constructed.
Ergo Proxy got disappointing once they left the city. It went random really fast. Psycho-pass is alot better alternative for the future cop stuff.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20698 on: January 10, 2015, 01:36:17 am »

It's mostly a fairly standard see freaks, watch freaks frequently and excessively murder humans, watch freaks get murdered kind of deal. I thought it was entertaining, but I find it hard to call it exceptional. Some neat concepts as well. Also yes, fairly dark and excessively violent.
This is a bit closer to how Hellsing Ultimate works. I mean...
Episode 1: An entire village is murdered (offscreen) along with a squad of cops.
Episode 2: Every single security guard at the Hellsing manor is murdered.
Episode 3: Brazilian special forces and random bystanders are murdered.
Episode 4: The entire crew of an aricraft carrier is murdered.

...and so on. It's only near the end of the series that the number of human casualties taper off, and that's only because the entire setting is basically running out of humans to kill :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20699 on: January 10, 2015, 07:57:31 am »

Ergo Proxy got disappointing once they left the city. It went random really fast. Psycho-pass is alot better alternative for the future cop stuff.

I would really hazard to call Ergo Proxy a future cop show, it's more just weird (sometimes) hallucinatory sci-fi in a desolate world that confuses you until the end.
I completely understand why some people would dislike it, even a lot, but I felt that certain episodes made up for the failings.

Just skip the gameshow episode. Because why the fuck.

It's mostly a fairly standard see freaks, watch freaks occasionally murder humans, watch freaks get murdered kind of deal. I thought it was entertaining, but I find it hard to call it exceptional. Some neat concepts as well. Also yes, fairly dark and excessively violent.

No, I would go with;

People die
More people die
Alucard acts like a coolguy
Alucard and Alexander Anderson have cool-offs
Even more people die
Nazis commit atrocities
Giant vampire battles
Alucard acts like the coolest guy
Level-0 Release

It's not a show with a super deep story, it's just one with a acceptable and serviceable plot that then hinges on it's large cast of awesome characters doing cool things and having hammy speeches.
EDIT TL;DR: Hellsing Ultimate is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for violent people.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:59:16 am by Hawkfrost »
Pages: 1 ... 1378 1379 [1380] 1381 1382 ... 2193