Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1353 1354 [1355] 1356 1357 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059268 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #20310 on: November 26, 2014, 08:23:14 pm »

Monster isn't gory action, it's a tense psychological thriller.

BTW Dog Days is back in January with season 3. Neonivek rejoice!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:26:23 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20311 on: November 26, 2014, 08:48:46 pm »

How the heck could they lay on the wish fulfillment fantasy even more heavy in Season 3?

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20312 on: November 26, 2014, 09:47:57 pm »

Hey guys I'm running low on shorter mangas, I'm looking for suggestions for shorter, completed series to break up my longer ones. Here's what I enjoyed reading recently - horror comedy like Franken Fran, slice of life stuff like Yokohama Shopping Trip or Aria, action comedy like Angel Densetsu, and piles of cheesy, short shoujo mangas. So something in those lines would be cool.

If you've read Franken Fran I assume you've also read Junji Ito's works like Uzumaki or Tomie? He did some shorter series like Hellstar Remina as well.
In terms of combining all of those genres, I sortof want to say Gakkou Gurashi, but it's still ongoing. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

In other respects, does anybody know of any more dead serious anime that I am unaware of?
Like Ghost in the Shell, Gungrave, Ergo Proxy, Legend of The Galactic Heroes, or Darker Than Black when it's not being uguu~ dumb.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20313 on: November 26, 2014, 09:51:36 pm »

Actually I haven't read many mangas at all yet, I recently got a tablet for reading them on the train; I can't stand reading any on a website, but now I can fit in reading some on public transport to make better use of the time. Yeah, so anything you suggest is probably going to be helpful.

===

>> dead serious anime

of recent anime the only ones that trigger that same general feeling of some you listed were:

Psycho-Pass
Shinsekai Yori

other ones all tend to temper the serious themes with moe or other BS. e.g. Black Bullet is sort of similar to Darker Than Black, except the hero has a super-powered loli harem to help him / fight over him.

Older ones, trippy or philosophical:

Serial Experiments Lain
Dennou Coil
Paranoia Agent
Kino's Journey

Some movies with a serious vibe:

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade movie: get on this ASAP if you haven't seen it
Sword of the Stranger movie: straight up manly blood and guts slaughter
Eve no Jikan movie: about humans coexisting with androids
Tokyo Godfathers: drama / comedy, modern realistic setting

troll suggestions:
Dominion Tank Police. It's a parody of police mecha anime. gung-ho police who solve every possible problem with their tanks. The original anime was pretty fun, but there's a 2000's CGI sequel that was pretty terrible and didn't capture any of what made the old one fun.

Shounen_Kenya - seriously, this movie is a non-stop WTF rollercoaster. I was scared to watch this because of low ratings, but I'm glad I did. It was bad, but in the eye-popping "did I just see that?!? did they seriously just ..." way.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:41:07 pm by Reelya »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #20314 on: November 26, 2014, 10:43:15 pm »

Actually I haven't read many mangas at all yet, I recently got a tablet for reading them on the train; I can't stand reading any on a website, but now I can fit in reading some on public transport to make better use of the time. Yeah, so anything you suggest is probably going to be helpful.
Check out Yotsuba (manga). it's hilarious and the titular character is adorable and you'll be smiling the whole time you read it. :3

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20315 on: November 26, 2014, 10:46:01 pm »

If there was one trend in anime/manga that you could completely remove, what would it be?

Mine would be the ridiculously normal second year high school protagonist. BECAUSE HAVE SO MANY OF THOSE
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20316 on: November 26, 2014, 10:47:31 pm »

If there was one trend in anime/manga that you could completely remove, what would it be?

Mine would be the ridiculously normal second year high school protagonist. BECAUSE HAVE SO MANY OF THOSE
Always seated next to the windows in the (second-to-)last row.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20317 on: November 26, 2014, 10:57:17 pm »

School harems in general. Nuke that tendency and the range of anime left over would jump up a lot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20318 on: November 26, 2014, 10:58:21 pm »

How about just eliminate harems.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20319 on: November 26, 2014, 11:12:11 pm »

Let's say no.

I wouldn't mind a few more with less dancing and mucking about, though. Polyamory amuses me terribly, often enough. Maybe more focused stuff, threesomes and whatnot. Kinda' like with the harrington material...

Though yeah, the standard harem anime pattern gets a bit dull. Not entirely, exactly. But a bit. Enough y'gotta' space it out or it burns. Still, it brings in the money for some reason, so it must be doing something right...

E: Though if I had to say a trend I wouldn't mind seeing lessened, I think it would be planetary cohesion. One broken world per series, no exceptions. Nice little slice of life 4koma and suddenly the planet cracks, that's what I'm talking about, heee.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:17:48 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20320 on: November 26, 2014, 11:18:32 pm »

I just feel like without the harem set up those animes would probably be better because they could focus on character development.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20321 on: November 27, 2014, 12:29:24 am »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:40:36 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20322 on: November 27, 2014, 12:35:36 am »

Well Vector the issue is simple... Anime is mass entertainment.

The reason why most anime is bad, and I retain that most of it is bad, is because most anime is bottom barrel pandering garbage.

The same goes with American Movies... Just having a GOOD line up in theatres is almost astounding now adays... You are lucky if 3 movies are good in any month out of the 12 that usually come out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20323 on: November 27, 2014, 12:36:30 am »

Probably some of column A, some of column B. Things are always going to seem terrible if you view them in the context of the vast seas of contemporary rubbish and series that are popular with the lowest common denominator, but by the same token there are incredible quantities of terrible shows. It's Sturgeon's Revelation in action, and it's what feeds into nostalgia -- the past seems to have a greater proportion of "good" works because that's what people remember. Twenty years from now nobody will remember all the shitty harem/high school/wish fulfillment/non-superstar shonen/shojo series, just like nobody now remembers all the trash from the early '90s.

It's usually something like one or two decent shows per season... and honestly there's nothing wrong with not liking anime as a whole. It's probably a healthier view, TBH; I certainly can't think of anything where I like even a flat majority of the examples of it. The otakubait has always been there and likely always will be, but when you run out of backlog to watch it becomes more visible because you're actually considering watching it because you "like anime" and want to watch anime.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20324 on: November 27, 2014, 12:42:35 am »

Honestly if Western Animation has a strong focus on continuity as standard or at least didn't make shows with continuity incredibly rare... I'd probably watch a LOT less anime.

So I am more then willing to wade through the garbage because at least there are nuggets in there.

Unlike Western which seems like they are trying as hard as they can to kill any shows with plot or a story that lasts more then a single episode... and of them 2/3rds are comedies and most of them the continuity doesn't even matter because they are made in such a way that you don't need to know what is going on.

That is just what it always boils down to in the end for me. Bad or good I just want to experience a story.

I've seen my fair share of episodic shows.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 12:46:56 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1353 1354 [1355] 1356 1357 ... 2193