Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1295 1296 [1297] 1298 1299 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058391 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #19440 on: September 22, 2014, 11:53:47 pm »

I happened to watch it in the right (wrong?) mood and it hammered those feels buttons way too hard for the state of mind I was in. T'was probably the first thing to make me cry for a solid six or seven years at the time. :|
I can't hear you guys over the sound of token Americano TK and his groov-ay smooth English voice, babeh.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19441 on: September 23, 2014, 03:44:29 am »

T'was probably the first thing to make me cry for a solid six or seven years at the time. :|
Boy, I can barely cry for a handful of minutes before wearing myself out, and you are saying that you managed to cry for 6-7 years?!?
*applauds* ;D

That said the last episode kinda hit me, and the early episodes were definitely fun, but I felt like it kinda lost some of it's energy in the second half.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #19442 on: September 23, 2014, 04:34:37 am »

I don't like anime. My friend reads manga and she calls me a "Yandere" or a "Tsundere" or other strange words and screams KYAAAAA when she is happy.
The only anime I liked was Corpse Party because I love parties involving corpses. And gore.

Oh...oh dear.

I would implore you not to base your feelings towards anime just from how your friend is acting. It's an annoying stage a lot of teenagers went through when they first encounter anime. From my experience in fact, it's either it pushes their weaboo button to the max or they are repulsed by it (like you, for example) because "cartoons are for kids". When people grow older it usually becomes less of a fad for kids and more just enjoyable waste of time. True that there's a lot, a LOT of commercial shit being fed to the plebs these days. I mean, anime/manga is an industry, these days more than ever, and like any other you have 100 new series each year just for a precious few among them to actually offer something new. Still, there are good stuff out there. It's not all just "b-baka!", "kawai!" and "moe". You have movies and series that easily match the quality of non-animated movies and more. You just have to sift through the garbage sometimes.

Speaking of - I have a question for all you here that are following this scene more closely. In past 10 years, has there been any Mecha anime for Manly MenTM? I'm thinking something of a cold, realistic military fashion. Not interested in eye candy. Something that's badass but not "awesome" aka "posing to be something just for the sake of being something". From what I've heard TTGL falls somehow in this category and that's the main reason I've yet to watch it. I'm thinking something like Votoms, ok? Or even, dear me, MSGundam.
I've heard Code Geass is decent, at least 1st season, but dunno... Gundam Unicorn, maybe? Does it lean more towards Gundam Seed or original Gundam?

Alternatively - what about a decent one-man-army-battle-suit type of anime series, no matter how old? Think Tekkaman Blade, Detonator Orgun or Guyver. Tekkaman was pretty decent, despite it's shortcomings, Orgun didn't really deliver (I'm blaming it's short format...but was fun in a way) and Guyver is still just a manga, last time I checked.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #19443 on: September 23, 2014, 04:44:12 am »

I just watched Tokyo Ghoul's last episode from this season. Damn that shit is bloody as fuck but awesome.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19444 on: September 23, 2014, 05:17:51 am »

Speaking of - I have a question for all you here that are following this scene more closely. In past 10 years, has there been any Mecha anime for Manly MenTM? I'm thinking something of a cold, realistic military fashion. Not interested in eye candy. Something that's badass but not "awesome" aka "posing to be something just for the sake of being something".

I haven't seen it myself, but I have Knights of Sidonia (unfortunately does not feature a Muse soundtrack) on my to-watch list that might be to your tastes. Depends on what you mean by "anime for Manly MenTM". It's on US Netflix.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19445 on: September 23, 2014, 05:23:53 am »

"Oh, that's cool! Might watch it just because of it's name..."

*checks wiki*

The manga is written and illustrated by Tsutomu Nihei

written and illustrated by Tsutomu Nihei

Tsutomu Nihei

GIMME

GIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMME

Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19446 on: September 23, 2014, 05:35:05 am »

I've heard Code Geass is decent, at least 1st season, but dunno... Gundam Unicorn, maybe? Does it lean more towards Gundam Seed or original Gundam?

Unicorn's a sequel series to the movie Char's Counterattack (which takes place after ZZ Gundam, which is after Zeta Gundam, which is after Mobile Suit Gundam. From what I've seen of it, it is very much a UC series.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19447 on: September 23, 2014, 05:49:31 am »

Hm, interesting. Personally I feel original Gundam series is still superior to every other UC series (bar War in a pocket and 08th MS team OVAs; and yeah, I'm one of those few who thinks Zeta was a stinker), but this is still enough to get me interested. Might check it out after all.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19448 on: September 23, 2014, 05:55:19 am »

snip - mecha - snip
You could try Argevollen and Aldnoah from this season. I was kinda iffy on the main mecha in Argevollen after episode 1, but mostly the plot is military action and not too shoneny. Argevollen definitely takes cues from Gundam. Aldnoah is over the top war + drama, but nowhere near Gurren Lagann levels of silly. A nice touch in Aldnoah is that the heroes "make do" with the tech at their disposal without any unexplained powerups or getting a "special" mecha: the bad guys have all the good tech.

Knights of Sidonia from last season had some pretty epic space mecha action sequences, and it's hard sci-fi in the sense that there's no "warp" technology so the characters can only interact with what is directly in their vicinity, so it's got that survival sense in that the characters know there might be other humans out there somewhere, but it's not possible to communicate with them.

Overall I'm iffy on modern mecha shows too, but those 3 from this year fit the bill the closest. I'll see if I can think of a few more.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 06:00:22 am by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19449 on: September 23, 2014, 06:32:43 am »

I'm one of those few who thinks Zeta was a stinker)

Really? I can understand finding ZZ to be bad, but what's your issue with Zeta? (Honestly curious, I can only think of a few soft spots in the series, and am wondering if they're the problem.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19450 on: September 23, 2014, 09:30:08 am »

I'm taking a look at the first Corpse Party OVA. Pretty heavy censoring makes this pretty much unwatchable. So this is a fail @ gore anime. No exploding entrails or peoples brains smooshing out of their skulls or anything.

So, other than Genocyber what do you all think the goriest animes ever are?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:32:22 am by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19451 on: September 23, 2014, 10:25:45 am »

One of the Berserk movies?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19452 on: September 23, 2014, 10:41:44 am »

Elfen Lied, Gantz, Akira, Hellsing, Monster-

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19453 on: September 23, 2014, 11:37:23 am »

Baoh? Maybe? I've only seen like one clip of it, but my cousin has seen it and mentioned it being pretty gory
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:39:30 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19454 on: September 23, 2014, 03:24:50 pm »

Speaking of - I have a question for all you here that are following this scene more closely. In past 10 years, has there been any Mecha anime for Manly MenTM? I'm thinking something of a cold, realistic military fashion. Not interested in eye candy. Something that's badass but not "awesome" aka "posing to be something just for the sake of being something". From what I've heard TTGL falls somehow in this category and that's the main reason I've yet to watch it. I'm thinking something like Votoms, ok? Or even, dear me, MSGundam.

Knights of Sidonia is hard sci-fi with some Macross Frontier style awkward "comedy", but the rest of the show is good enough (in my opinion) to overlook those scenes. It's quite commonly a right bummer, and is relatively serious about keeping it's mood of despair and consequences. Also, the world building is great.

---
Code Geass is fantastic, but prepare to have to push through some retarded school bullshit. The mecha are awesome, most of the characters are pretty good, and it actually has a plot that means something.

If you want a legit serious, cold military sci-fi show like you say, Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the best one for that. There is no mecha though; just capital ships and frigates exchanging blankets of fire in space, and brutal hand to hand combat with axes.
Pages: 1 ... 1295 1296 [1297] 1298 1299 ... 2193