Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1296 1297 [1298] 1299 1300 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058260 times)

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #19455 on: September 23, 2014, 03:37:01 pm »

There is no mecha though; just capital ships and frigates exchanging blankets of fire in space, and brutal hand to hand combat with axes.
Sounds good to me, I never liked giant robots,
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19456 on: September 23, 2014, 03:57:49 pm »

So, other than Genocyber what do you all think the goriest animes ever are?

Fist of the North Star is up there. Its like the anime version of those B movies like Robocop and The Toxic Avenger.

It is at once both hilarious and depressing.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19457 on: September 23, 2014, 04:33:16 pm »

Robocop doesn't really count in the B-movie category. Schlocky doesn't mean "B". B movies by definition don't have heavily promoted cinema releases and large budgets. Robocop was actually budgeted MORE money than the first Star Wars movie ($13 million vs $11 million).

Compare that to the budget for Toxic Avenger, $500,000. $13 million might seem like a tiny budget today, but it was pretty sizable back in the 1980's. For comparison, Raiders of the Lost Ark had $18 million in budget, although it was much more successful at the box office than Robocop.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 04:41:00 pm by Reelya »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19458 on: September 23, 2014, 06:29:20 pm »

I happened to watch it in the right (wrong?) mood and it hammered those feels buttons way too hard for the state of mind I was in. T'was probably the first thing to make me cry for a solid six or seven years at the time. :|

yeah

I'm not crying these are beards sprouting from my eyes

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19459 on: September 24, 2014, 06:06:14 am »

Watched the first 3 episodes of Horizon on[sic] the Middle of Nowhere and it's the most inchoherent mess I've ever witnessed. I'm sure there is a story somewhere in between all the groping(meticulously whited out to prevent any display of hands in contact with fully clothed chest areas), overflow boobs, genderbending girls, sexy gynoids and omnipotent student councils (no stereotype or trope left behind), but it's so fragmented and convoluted it's impossible to piece together. And at the same time there are dozens of characters to keep track of. And they talk non-stop about things you're apparently supposed to know but are completely meaningless when you lack any context. Gaah.

I might actually drop this one, it just hurts my head too much.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19460 on: September 24, 2014, 08:23:01 am »

Yeah I watched about half of that and it's goddamn horrible. It doesn't really get better in the next few episodes, I think I got to episode 5 or 6. I couldn't even tell who the main character is supposed to be halfway through the season. The guy they focused on at the start seems to fade into the background because there are so many factions, events, side characters and confusing plots going on.

Apparently later on it gets better. But I've heard that promise a few too many times.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:26:21 am by Reelya »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19461 on: September 24, 2014, 08:31:23 am »

I think that "it gets better" thing is that anybody who's finished anything is too invested in it to even consider it bad. Because nobody's dumb enough to waste their time on watching something bad, so it has to be good, right?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19462 on: September 24, 2014, 10:38:52 am »

I think that "it gets better" thing is that anybody who's finished anything is too invested in it to even consider it bad. Because nobody's dumb enough to waste their time on watching something bad, so it has to be good, right?

I dunno I can certainly think of a few animes with terrible opening episodes, specials, and even arcs... or where there is a huge bad filler arc between good parts of the story...

OR where a series is on the slowest boil EVER.

Then again I have seen the exact opposite where a series starts off good with its very first arc and then just becomes tedious and boring (Witch Hunter Robin).

As far as "its gets better" I think people who say that LIKELY already sort of liked it, and liked it more later.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19463 on: September 24, 2014, 11:40:30 am »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:08:46 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19464 on: September 24, 2014, 11:43:25 am »

Hm, interesting. Personally I feel original Gundam series is still superior to every other UC series (bar War in a pocket and 08th MS team OVAs; and yeah, I'm one of those few who thinks Zeta was a stinker), but this is still enough to get me interested. Might check it out after all.
All UC is pretty excellent, but War in the Pocket, 08th MS Team and MS IGLOO overshadow them all.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19465 on: September 24, 2014, 12:09:24 pm »

Yeah, this is my version of a show that I declared "good" out of sheer mental pain.

But how can you go wrong with a show where the antagonist is named Childman Powderfield.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19466 on: September 24, 2014, 12:35:11 pm »

Hm, interesting. Personally I feel original Gundam series is still superior to every other UC series (bar War in a pocket and 08th MS team OVAs; and yeah, I'm one of those few who thinks Zeta was a stinker), but this is still enough to get me interested. Might check it out after all.
All UC is pretty excellent, but War in the Pocket, 08th MS Team and MS IGLOO overshadow them all.
I can't say that about IGLOO. It has fantastic action and interesting designs, but as a story I have to say it's kinda sucks. It's pretty much the exact same thing happening every episode over and over again. It's really hard to keep caring about the characters after 3 or 4 episodes of it. And said characters don't come off as very deep either.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:45:40 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19467 on: September 24, 2014, 12:48:24 pm »

I can't say that about IGLOO. It has fantastic action and interesting designs, but as a story I have to say it's kinda terrible. It's pretty much the exact same thing happening every episode over and over again.
Get prototype > get test pilot > test prototype > stuff goes wrong > main char engineer guy files a report

At least in the first OVA.

Yeah but it makes sense, since the first show is about these engineers testing prototypes, so naturally they have a certain workflow. It didn't feel repetitive at all to me because the action is so varied and awesome and the protos so interesting, it's not at all predictable either and the show never pretends to be anything more than an excuse for sick action (except for the second series OVA's theme with death gods, that was idiotic and didn't make any sense).

There's only like 5 eps per one hour OVA, and the second series, "Gravity War" I believe it was called, doesn't even follow the engineer guys. I thought the different pilots and their motivations were pretty interesting and the characters were all very consistent and unique.

My two favorites were the guy who used to be a sailor who piloted the Diver and he talked about his gramps, and the lady inmate whose guncannon squad were all death row prisoners. That was p awesome IMO. :D

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19468 on: September 24, 2014, 01:04:28 pm »

I'll admit that I didn't watch the second series cause it didn't feel worth it after slogging through the first. But I really didn't feel anything from the characters when I watched. The MC's only had the smallest amount of development, and the one off characters could all be described in like a single sentence. They were basically generic cookie cutter badasses (and not in a good way) that come off more like caricatures from propaganda videos (appropriately enough I suppose since that's basically what the entire show feels like). There's also that nothing that occurs in the series really matters at all, which adds yet another block to getting any sort of investment. The only two contributions the series made that actually seem noteworthy are showing how Char shot down 5 battleships at Loum, and introducing the Zudah which as far as I can tell was the only design in the show that was deemed significant enough to actually appear in any other UC stories.

Basically, my point is that, it can be a nice popcorn series if you're really into the action in it, but as far as Gundam series go it really isn't all that special. It certainly isn't deserving of standing alongside War in the Pocket at the very least.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:38:00 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19469 on: September 24, 2014, 01:14:43 pm »

I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 ... 1296 1297 [1298] 1299 1300 ... 2193