Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1276 1277 [1278] 1279 1280 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3057308 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #19155 on: September 08, 2014, 11:16:31 pm »

Ok I got a bit of whiplash...

I finished Hajime No Ippo apparently... Though I feel like I really haven't.

Probably because of its undeserved "The adventure continues" ending.

Hey Reelya what was that TERRIBLE anime you wanted me to watch to put things in perspective?

I probably should write a full review of Hajime no Ippo...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19156 on: September 08, 2014, 11:28:49 pm »

I finished Hajime No Ippo.
Nice!

What were your favorite bits about the show? Only the most positive feelings you had about it.
* GUNINANRUNIN requires positivity. u_u

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19157 on: September 09, 2014, 12:02:57 am »

Hey Reelya what was that TERRIBLE anime you wanted me to watch to put things in perspective?

Oh that was this season's Momo Kyun Sword. I wasn't really serious. It's really dumb, but I'd still highly recommend it compared to sitting through Mahouka. I linked the Momo Kyun Sword ending theme recently. it will give you the basic idea.

How about stupid show concepts?

Akikan is still up there. The show about soda cans that turn into magical girls when you drink them. Naturally, they materialize in a "kissing" pose, then call you a pervert for kissing them and blast you with their magic.

Midori no Hibi is a good one. Delinquent who gets into a lot of fights wakes up to find his right hand has turned into a cute naked girl. It makes getting in fights complicated because he doesn't want to get her all mashed up.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19158 on: September 09, 2014, 12:04:43 am »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19159 on: September 09, 2014, 12:07:10 am »

his right hand has turned into a cute naked girl.
Now how many could ever claim to start a relationship with their own hand?

Actually a fuckton probably.

Something something masturbation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19160 on: September 09, 2014, 12:10:50 am »

I've only watched about six episodes or so, so I can't be completely certain yet, but SAO doesn't seem too bad to me. The pacing's pretty wonky (floor one to floor forty-nine[/s] in an episode??) but it's overall okay.
You'll see. Oh, you'll see.

I went into it expecting a mediocre action series, a role which it filled admirably. For a time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19161 on: September 09, 2014, 12:29:36 am »

Yeah, some good points from FlyingDice there, a few I never really thought of, especially point 8. That one really makes no sense and is only there to make Kirito extra, extra special. It's handled much better in Log Horizon and makes a lot more sense.

Actually Neonivek, if you want other sports animes these are the ones I've enjoyed the most in recent times:
Kuroko's Basketball (~50 eps, 2 seasons so far, manga finished recently,will prob get a season 3)
Yowamushi Pedal (38 eps, new season starts in October)
Baby Steps (Tennis) (25 eps, about to finish)

Baby Steps takes the quick learner thing to new, preposterous extremes.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:31:41 am by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19162 on: September 09, 2014, 12:32:38 am »

You might wanna try out Angelic Layer Neo. It's an oldish CLAMP show that's kinda like a genderswapped Build Fighters. I've only seen the first few episodes but they seemed pretty decent from what I saw.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19163 on: September 09, 2014, 12:42:15 am »

I probably wouldn't mind the quick learner syndrome in some anime if they weren't so damn modest.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19164 on: September 09, 2014, 01:05:06 am »

Yeah, some good points from FlyingDice there, a few I never really thought of, especially point 8. That one really makes no sense and is only there to make Kirito extra, extra special. It's handled much better in Log Horizon and makes a lot more sense.
Except for the part where all those people sitting at their computers are physically transported into a world which closely resembles a real version of the game world, if the artificial limitations were removed and game-y mechanics were explained in-universe.

Granted, Log Horizon is actually good, so I give it the benefit of the doubt, especially because the plot has hinted at 'splainin' how it happened. But yes, drawing from a relatively random cross-section of a mature playerbase is both more realistic and more interesting.

I probably wouldn't mind the quick learner syndrome in some anime if they weren't so damn modest.
Hah, with you on this one. Let's be honest, how many of us, if we turned out to be prodigies in something -- anything! -- wouldn't be hyped to the moon about it? Not even arrogant or anything, just really excited. Unless our field of natural talent was in something like "Cooking with pickled beets and nothing else."

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19165 on: September 09, 2014, 01:21:17 am »

Nice!

What were your favorite bits about the show? Only the most positive feelings you had about it.

I guess it would be those fights where you are so on edge for the whole thing you end up watching episode after episode in quick succession. It keeps the pace up and maintains the pace from the previous episode pretty well without too much of a repeat. Blows exist and if something looks like it hurts, it actually hurts. Heck even though injuries always heal correctly (because otherwise the show would be quite... dark), if someone is injured they still have to recover. Thanks to the stretched timescale where periods between fights can be months, Ippo has spent months recovering from his injuries before. Though while I say this there are exactly two instances where the implication was permanent career ending injuries. In total there were two instances maybe three where I couldn't stop watching until the end of the arc.

That and the show is also rather informative, which is something I consider to be a plus (it is rare in Western TV outside educational shows.) where it will even reference the fighters known for certain styles and moves. I like it when I feel like I know MORE about a subject just by watching the show. It achieved this by making Ippo a genius newbie to Boxing, so he could learn things quickly while at the same time needing to learn. After Ippo became too knowledgeable they got other characters for this role.

As well it has a strong focus between both the opponents and minor characters. Later on lightening the focus on Ippo and giving everyone else a bit more time to shine including ALMOST giving characters who normally would be sent FAR into the background some serious spotlight, heck even Ippo's mother gets somewhat of her own highlight episode, albeit indirectly. Of the four main gym boxers (until they introduced a new permanent member), only one has remained static but Aiko (dang I forgot his name) has managed quite a bit of character development. I have the sense that the other guy was MEANT to have some development but that it was dropped for time.

I like Ippo as a character mostly because he is a bright cheery guy who wants to do the right thing most of the time and unlike a LOT of characters in these kinds of setting even after learning martial arts he doesn't believe in violence as a solution, in fact he remains incredibly non-violent. What I liked is that after you learn how much talent he actually had for boxing, you realize was something Ippo let others bully him because he felt bad and was somewhat of a coward. Ippo's ultimate goal is to learn what strength is, but you get the idea that he isn't looking for physical strength but cannot see his own strength. His journey isn't really of getting strong but that he was strong the entire time and didn't realize it but had to go through these trials to get there. Another bonus is the anime never downplays the advantages that Ippo has and never negates them, his punches are absolutely devastating the first time you see him, and they remain devastating the very last episode.

The show's pacing is probably its best trait. If it takes time off it generally is using it for great effect. If it is deep in the action every episode of that fight is important. As well it doesn't intentionally try to drag you along with constant cliff hangers, it will end fights before the halfway point.

The show has few villains, but that makes sense it isn't a show ABOUT villains it is a show about people and the vast majority of them in the show are people who just went a bit down the wrong path, even the "Evil American General" is just a victim of the war and learns to be a better person through boxing. The exception to this is Bryan Hawk who is an unapologetic villain with no redeeming qualities and frankly the stark contrast between him and the rest of the series was delicious! He was like a Captain Planet Villain in an episode of Law and Order. He also backed it up by a truly memorable fighting style that is SO GREAT that Eagle, the boxer who came after him, is completely overshadowed. Bryan Hawk is an amalgamation of everything wrong with Americans told at the Japanese viewpoint so his sheer contempt towards Japan is delicious. He has style, he has flare, and he is a big deal. If he didn't wimp out near the end to show how great Takamura was, I'd probably say Bryan Hawk was the perfect villain for the series.

There a completely positive "what I liked about Hajime no Ippo"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19166 on: September 09, 2014, 01:22:54 am »

We all know there are different "types" of making sense. Log Horizon is a fantasy series, so unexplained magic to kick things off is "allowable" fiction. But there's a type of truth you have to have in all good fiction - it's the truth of how people think and act.

So we don't tend to complain "magic couldn't really work" or "dragons don't exist" but we do complain "nobody would ever react like that if this was real".
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:53:08 am by Reelya »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19167 on: September 09, 2014, 01:37:03 am »

Nice!

-snip-
That was beautiful Neon. No one could've said it better. I knew you could use your powers for good.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19168 on: September 09, 2014, 01:42:09 am »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:13:59 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19169 on: September 09, 2014, 02:22:32 am »

Hah, with you on this one. Let's be honest, how many of us, if we turned out to be prodigies in something -- anything! -- wouldn't be hyped to the moon about it? Not even arrogant or anything, just really excited. Unless our field of natural talent was in something like "Cooking with pickled beets and nothing else."
Maybe it's Artist Syndrome.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 1276 1277 [1278] 1279 1280 ... 2193