Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1275 1276 [1277] 1278 1279 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3057696 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #19140 on: September 07, 2014, 10:26:34 am »

Are you watching the original series or Brotherhood?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #19141 on: September 07, 2014, 10:47:33 am »

Exactly what do you mean by "legally"? I mean, once again you can probably watch on youtube right this second, and lets be honest, you're more likely to have your fun ruined by Youtube itself taking shit down then the FBI storming your house for seeing it.
If you mean when can you buy it/stream it/ something that would presumably factor into Trigger's profit margins? Fuck if I know. Probably around when the rest of the English Dubs roll around.
I mean a licensed release of the sub or something. I know the risk of having problems is negligible, but there's the principle to consider, and I expect to have a background check done one of these days, and I'd rather not lie about whether or not I've committed any crimes in the past X years or whatever.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19142 on: September 07, 2014, 10:58:48 am »

Original. I mean it all but opens on child experimentation/murder and only goes downhill from there.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19143 on: September 07, 2014, 12:53:34 pm »

Original. I mean it all but opens on child experimentation/murder and only goes downhill from there.
Uh. I never actually bothered watching it through, but even I can tell you that that wasn't what happened in that basement, either in terms of motivation or result.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19144 on: September 07, 2014, 01:06:10 pm »

Uh. I never actually bothered watching it through, but even I can tell you that that wasn't what happened in that basement, either in terms of motivation or result.
No not the LITERAL opening. I mean in like the 4th episode the dude who's house they were staying at mixes his own daughter with his dog. To prove he could.

Indeed, I do this.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19145 on: September 07, 2014, 01:41:07 pm »

Villains doing evil things occasionally doesn't make something grimdark.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19146 on: September 07, 2014, 05:23:05 pm »

FMA is pretty dark regardless, though. Or at least the original was.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19147 on: September 07, 2014, 05:24:32 pm »

GCAT is watching Rebellion.

Spoiler: Her reaction so far (click to show/hide)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #19148 on: September 07, 2014, 06:56:17 pm »

I eagerly await further reports from the front lines.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19149 on: September 07, 2014, 09:58:40 pm »

DANG IT! the Tie Breaker of the Sailor moons ended in a tie...

While the old one I feel highlighted Lita's personality more and made her a LOT more awesome (Honestly I WISH she soloed Neflite out of costume)...

The new one was a bit more emotionally driven.

The odd thing about this is while it is a lot more honest the REALLY should have smoothed out all the "odd" early installment stuff in it. But I understand it wants to be a perfectly faithful adaptation. The problem is that all the early problems with the manga were created because the creator didn't know what she was doing yet (Tuxedo mask... being disguised as... tuxedo mask... being one of them).

I can't think of a single anime where one problem you can pose against it is that it is TOO faithful.

Honestly is there ANY anime out there that is too faithful to its source material?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19150 on: September 07, 2014, 10:12:29 pm »

I still think it's far too early to be comparing where both series were at this point. This would be episode 20 of the old show, and it's episode 5 of the new show. A much fairer comparison will come at the end - how does the full 26 episodes compare to the ~43 or whatever episodes of old Sailor Moon S1

Arguably another fairer comparison that could occur now would be on a per-episode basis: how much happened in the first 5 episodes of the old show vs the quality of the first 5 episodes of the new show? Bang for your buck vs time spent watching.

It could turn out that getting all the key characters into play quicker actually ends up giving more percentage of available screen time for character development later on, rather than less. At this point in the old show we were still spinning our wheels with nobody but Serena, a talking cat, and all the monsters of the week.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:19:22 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19151 on: September 07, 2014, 10:21:05 pm »

I am comparing in terms of which one I like better rather then which one is better (which honestly I'd have to see to the end of the arc before I made that judgement)...

It is just so odd for a show to actually be "Too true to the original"... and I didn't realize how true it was until this episode when I am noticing sweeping changes for all the characters as the show went on (For example Tuxedo mask... doesn't dress as Tuxedo mask 24/7 and actually has outside interests)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19152 on: September 08, 2014, 07:01:44 pm »

Villains doing evil things occasionally doesn't make something grimdark.
Its not that the VILLAINS are doing evil things, its that EVERYONE is doing evil things. EVERYONE.

Indeed, I do this.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19153 on: September 08, 2014, 07:56:39 pm »

I've only watched about six episodes or so, so I can't be completely certain yet, but SAO doesn't seem too bad to me. The pacing's pretty wonky (floor one to floor forty-nine[/s] in an episode??) but it's overall okay.
Black lives matter.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19154 on: September 08, 2014, 08:16:37 pm »

> I've only watched about six episodes or so

A lot of the backlash is related to the massive hype during the series airing. It's an ordinary series that didn't deserve the lavish "BEST EVAR" praise that was floating around. Of course the pendulum swings back and that's going to create a lot of people going into the series with especially LOW expectations now, and you see the opposite extreme with "this isn't quite as bad as I was lead to believe". I didn't really mind SAO, but I watched it post-hyped and post-hate with fairly low expectations.

The show isn't irredeemably bad from the very first episode or anything like that. If it was, then it wouldn't be noteworthy at all. Plus, it's the later part that gets a lot of hate too. even from die hard fans. So come back after completing season 1 and let us know your opinion.

Mahouka on the other hand, I'd like to see how viewers take that since we've ripping it to absolute shreds of mockery each week on this thread. It'd be interesting how new viewers take it, since they should have the lowest possible expectations. I will categorically state it's a pile of excrement without even a single redeeming point in it's favor, other than the writing being so ham-fisted and fanfiction-level that it becomes humorous when it doesn't intend to be. It doesn't contain many comedy moments, but those are all dull and forgettable compared to the unintentional comedy. I'm not someone who automatically must hate things because they're getting praise / hyped. e.g. Mushishi and Space Dandy are hyped to the max, and I love those.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:32:25 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1275 1276 [1277] 1278 1279 ... 2193