Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1185 1186 [1187] 1188 1189 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064958 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17790 on: June 07, 2014, 12:51:17 am »

Anime is fantastic so far.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17791 on: June 07, 2014, 12:52:51 am »

Yeh, watch the anime and then continue reading the manga. Then again, Stardust Crusaders is still ongoing so you might want to reconsider the latter part because spoilers.

Also, be warned that there's going to be a lot of mid-battle exposition. Most of the battles are about outsmarting the enemy, or figuring out what the fuck they're able to do, so expect a lot of 'splaining.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17792 on: June 07, 2014, 12:55:45 am »

Also, be warned that there's going to be a lot of mid-battle exposition. Most of the battles are about outsmarting the enemy, or figuring out what the fuck they're able to do, so expect a lot of 'splaining.
It didn't bother me whatsoever while I was watching.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17793 on: June 07, 2014, 01:36:42 am »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:28:53 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17794 on: June 07, 2014, 01:54:29 am »

The current anime of "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" appears to be aiming to cover all 8 parts of the manga. They've done a very good job so far, so really either read the manga or watch the series.

There was an earlier series of anime covering only the 3rd series (this is what the recent anime is currently up to), this one is also worth a watch, but it skips a lot of the filler battles as well as condenses events into about 8 episodes I think. The current anime is up to episode 10 and about half way through.
If you've heard of JJBA before now, chances are it was something to do with part 3 "Stardust Crusaders" as it's the most well known what with Dio Brando, Jotaro Kujo and the inclusion of stands.

The current anime covers parts 1 - 3. Being "Phantom Blood", "Battle Tendency" and "Stardust Crusaders".

They're readable in any order as each part is focused on different characters, but the overall events are all tied together over the whole series.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17795 on: June 07, 2014, 01:54:59 am »

Skip the old JJBA OVAs btw (90's - 2002), they're basically snippets from Stardust Crusaders, which is being definitively remade in the 2014 season.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17796 on: June 07, 2014, 02:22:59 am »

The current anime of "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" appears to be aiming to cover all 8 parts of the manga.
I doubt it. Part 8 isn't even halfway finished.

Skip the old JJBA OVAs btw (90's - 2002), they're basically snippets from Stardust Crusaders, which is being definitively remade in the 2014 season.
Unless you're watching the abridged version, ofc.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:24:53 am by Darvi »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17797 on: June 07, 2014, 02:27:15 am »

Well, thinking ahead a bit. I'm assuming it'll be completed by the time the anime gets up to part 8.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17798 on: June 07, 2014, 10:46:08 am »

The current anime of "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" appears to be aiming to cover all 8 parts of the manga.
I doubt it. Part 8 isn't even halfway finished.

Unless you're watching the abridged version, ofc.
The abridged has nothing on the amazing DUWANG subs.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17799 on: June 07, 2014, 10:56:21 am »

*squid noises*

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17800 on: June 07, 2014, 11:03:39 am »

*squid noises*
Guys, I think somebody's stash is leaking.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17801 on: June 07, 2014, 11:15:27 am »

Ok, next question: anime or manga?

When you get to the manga I recommend using Battoto for it. A few of the parts have rescanned and retranslated versions which are a lot better than the ones used on some other sites.

...unless you feel like experiencing Duwang.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17802 on: June 07, 2014, 11:36:19 am »

It is kind of worth looking up just for the silliness. The Duwang translation is only for the forth part as far as I know, though something tells me the group of students who did the translation did another part as well but...
Part 4 has since gotten a proper translation.

"Got a feeling... so complicated."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17803 on: June 07, 2014, 11:48:45 am »

It is kind of worth looking up just for the silliness. The Duwang translation is only for the forth part as far as I know, though something tells me the group of students who did the translation did another part as well but...
Part 4 has since gotten a proper translation.

"Got a feeling... so complicated."
The original DUWANG group were back in the early 90s when JoJo's manga series began. They were the most terrible horrible translations known but were the only available english translators at the time. Everyone else now is just carrying on the fantasy sharing the wonders.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17804 on: June 07, 2014, 11:54:30 am »

Well Jojo began in the 80s actually. But anyways as I heard it, Duwang was the result of some Chinese students who decided to re translate Part 4 from Chinese to English as their final project for their English class. They failed the class.

But their legend shall live on for all time
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:01:51 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1185 1186 [1187] 1188 1189 ... 2193