Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064981 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17490 on: May 19, 2014, 05:08:46 pm »

Well, mahouka 7 proving the author was still smoking crack at this point.

Nice skills: on top of everything else, it turns out Gary Stu can literally see through walls to see all the enemies in a building and has telekinesis skills to dissasemble and entire platoons worth of weapons without even blinking.

Seriously how old was the writer? 12? So the MC is: A super warrior who can move so fast it's like teleporting, sees through walls to detect enemies, can basically fly up walls Matrix-style,  can disable any magic-user with a glance, can take apart any device via telekinesis, and on top of that he is the greatest hacker in history who's tech discoveries are so dangerous they could overturn society as we know it if he was foolish enough to share them with us mere mortals.

The newly-revealed telekinesis powers especially make a total mockery of the previous scenes used to show that the hero has "poor" magical abilities. It's a prime example of what Neonivek was talking about a while ago with character "false flaws". The only time Mahouka's MC ever has any difficultly is with in-class trials, which are much simpler than what he pulls of during fights ("I can't make the metal ball hover in class, but I can dissasemble 20 M16s just by thinking about it"). Not once has his magical "disability" ever caused him the slightest difficulty during the show.

Normally, you spread your skills/powers out amongst a team so you can develop all the characters roles. Mahouka's MC took a teams worth of abilities and decided to given them all to a single hero, who just happens to share his own initials and have every babe in the story fawning over him.

Plot points ep 6-7:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:55:28 pm by Reelya »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17491 on: May 19, 2014, 06:08:06 pm »

What did i say? That show was choke right after chapter 2.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17492 on: May 19, 2014, 06:16:12 pm »

Lol I just got to the end of Mahouka ep7 and this girl is explaining (right in front of her boyfriend) how she was originally in love with Gary stu MC, but he was just too awesome and amazing, and that intimidated her, so she settled for her "average" current boyfriend. Of course, and totally unbelievably, the current boyfriend is totally cool with this little speech.

Wow, Gary Stu is so Alpha Male compared to everyone else, and the show doesn't want you to forget that.

... and the episode ends with his sister obsessing over her brother in a monologue. Seriously, she may qualify as one of the most unintentionally creepiest sisters in an anime ever.

What did i say? That show was choke right after chapter 2.
I've been ridiculing this from ep1 onwards, it's my weekly rant.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:26:56 pm by Reelya »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17493 on: May 19, 2014, 06:24:07 pm »

Spoiler: Mahouka Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17494 on: May 19, 2014, 06:26:33 pm »

Mirai Nikki is pretty interesting. I'd like it more if it dropped it's full-on romance episodes though.

You should pay more attention to what you are reading/watching because that would be like removing 90% of the show.

Unfortunately... I am not joking.

Since even the fight scenes are just subtext for the romance... and the powers are subtext for the romance...

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17495 on: May 19, 2014, 11:10:47 pm »

I don't watch much anime, and I cannot really say that it's my thing. Still, I have been watching a little lately. I recently finished watching Neon Genesis Evangelion, which I'm sure has already been thoroughly discussed at some point in this thread.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #17496 on: May 19, 2014, 11:41:29 pm »

Mirai Nikki is pretty interesting. I'd like it more if it dropped it's full-on romance episodes though.
I, too, thought that at one point. I think they're actually too important, though they only seem so in retrospect. I'll not go into details, though, in case you're still mid-series.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Raptomex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Pastime
« Reply #17497 on: May 20, 2014, 12:08:28 am »

Never cared for anime. My friends try to get me into it but I'm not a fan of the art style nor the Japanese style of writing/comedy.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17498 on: May 20, 2014, 01:48:42 am »

Never cared for anime. My friends try to get me into it but I'm not a fan of the art style nor the Japanese style of writing/comedy.
What exactly aren't you fond of, and what do you like? Anime's pretty broad, there's probably something out there you'd enjoy.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17499 on: May 20, 2014, 02:31:17 am »

So, I've decided to watch Space Dandy, and it is pretty good. I really like how each and every alien is conceptualized by a different artist, it makes all of them unique. And it's pretty funny.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17500 on: May 20, 2014, 02:43:05 am »

You should pay more attention to what you are reading/watching because that would be like removing 90% of the show.

Unfortunately... I am not joking.

Since even the fight scenes are just subtext for the romance... and the powers are subtext for the romance...
No I mean the episodes where there's full focus on the romance. I don't mind if the romance is imbedded on the advancement of the plot.
Well, it's not bothering myself that much. But I have a friend who loves these sorts of plots, but I doubt he'll be interested in the episodes like the one where they spend time at the amusement park or the one with this wedding convention.

Oh well, it's going to take us forever to finish Breaking Bad anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17501 on: May 20, 2014, 02:46:18 am »

I know I mean, you should have expected as much from a series where the romance is so front and center.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17502 on: May 20, 2014, 04:23:16 am »

Spoiler: Mahouka Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's interesting to see two very contrasting reviews on its TvTropes page, as well as the contrasting pages between the main and YMMV pages. I don't think I will watch this anytime soon, even for the shits and giggles pointing out its flaws would give me.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17503 on: May 20, 2014, 04:35:39 am »

I liked Mirai nikki, is one of my favourites :P I didn't really watch it for the romance, more for the plotty stuff. Romance didn't really feel that front and centre to me, it just seemed like it was mostly advancing the series towards its ending, heheh. And yea, the wedding and amusement park ones were sorta boring.

On the side note, I just finished watching Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica III: The rebellion and I liked that too, but it left me slightly confused as to what was going on at the end.
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17504 on: May 20, 2014, 04:39:00 am »

I will admit I MIGHT be mixing up anime names in my head.

Is Mirai Nikki about the extremely loud and abusive girl who falls inlove with a small and meek boy (with super duper powers) and thus through their relationship one of them becomes less abusive and one becomes more?

Ok I will admit the description is actually a bit unfair, but take it as more of a joke.

Though I will say that one of the things (of the probably 3 things) that seems to kill anime for me is the really constant abuse that makes its way into almost everything! It has sort of started to become a little uncomfortable with me... Not as uncomfortable as the sexualisation of prepubescent children mind you (which THANK GAWD that trend has died down considerably).

Well back to Legends of Galactic Heroes.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:42:45 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 ... 2193