Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060839 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #16605 on: March 18, 2014, 05:58:05 pm »

He's probably referring to all the stuff about Arian. But it'll probably just get covered in the last couple episodes without actually going there. Alternatively the directors have expressed interest in doing more with Build Fighters, but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea since unless it starts immediately doing so would remove the magic of its fanservicefest, that kinda experience can only really get expressed like once every 5-10 years
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 06:14:31 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16606 on: March 18, 2014, 06:07:32 pm »

I thought Guts traveled alone with a pixie or something after the Eclipse and was never again happy.

Giving Guts a traveling harem was obviously more in line with character.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16607 on: March 18, 2014, 07:07:30 pm »

Yay, my copy of UQ Holder! came in!

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #16608 on: March 19, 2014, 12:39:48 am »

Still reading Vinland Saga on Mangapanda. It's interesting how a story centered around the cultures of Vikings and Englishman in the early 1000s is being portrayed by Japanese art and language, which is then translated by others into English and put up on the internet for the world to read. Globalization is a helluva thing.

On that note, reading a bearded Viking warrior refer to another as "Thorfinn-kun" just completely ruins the atmosphere and immersion. Nice job translator of Chapter 59, you kinda mixed the cultures just a bit too much. Next there's going be a seven foot tall Norse berserker who's totally mad on mushrooms calling an English female slave kawaii desu.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16609 on: March 19, 2014, 12:47:14 am »

I don't like Bjorn.

Edit: That's not true. I actually have really complicated feelings towards every main character so far. Except maybe the prince.
He's got all of the charisma and ambition of Griffith, and none of the tactical skill.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16610 on: March 19, 2014, 02:34:01 am »

He's probably referring to all the stuff about Arian. But it'll probably just get covered in the last couple episodes without actually going there. Alternatively the directors have expressed interest in doing more with Build Fighters, but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea since unless it starts immediately doing so would remove the magic of its fanservicefest, that kinda experience can only really get expressed like once every 5-10 years

It is more that it feels like an introduction to the characters, their strengths, personality, and abilities, then it does a complete anime. I guess it is because the arcs tend to be complete the very same episodes they are brought up or are solved with ease (Something very common when an anime is just trying to introduce a character quickly). As well as yes, Arian has always been the lurking larger story behind the scenes. As well with our heroes not needing to really up the ante or learn anything after a set point.

I've seen anime that is just a single tournament arc that felt complete. I guess what makes Gundam Build Fighters feel somewhat incomplete is that overall the plot seems small. There is nothing really riding on our heroes winning the entire tournament. In fact hilariously it seems like things would have been better off if they had stayed home. So they just keep making sure each individual battle has something riding on it.

Also yeah I was expecting a bit more then just a fun series of battles. HECK for a long time I thought Sei's father was dead. Ohh well it was still a great respite from my usual terrible anime tastes.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:43:09 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16611 on: March 19, 2014, 05:29:47 am »

Randomly sampling old shows recently, and I watched episode 1 of Ghost Hound. I thought it was going to be some inane crap, but this looks really good. Serious, slow paced and creepy as fuck.

EDIT: It's has the same director & main scriptwriter as Serial Experiments Lain & Kino's Journey, so I'm hoping this is a good one I've overlooked before.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:43:40 am by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16612 on: March 19, 2014, 10:02:46 am »

The Jojo All Star Battle localization renamed Pomareff to Jean Pierre Eiffel

All of my wut. It was unchanged in everything else thats been localized before.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:29:58 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16613 on: March 19, 2014, 05:13:54 pm »

I don't like Bjorn.

Edit: That's not true. I actually have really complicated feelings towards every main character so far. Except maybe the prince.
He's got all of the charisma and ambition of Griffith, and none of the tactical skill.

I started off disliking Bjorn, Askeladd, Canute, and many other characters. Eventually you start to understand them better, I feel, and then they grow on you.
Thorfinn is the only one they show the intentions and motivations clearly of at the beginning, so he is easier to like and come to grips with.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16614 on: March 19, 2014, 05:45:34 pm »

Hah. Opposite for me. Thorfinn seemed like a one-dimensional character. I really liked Askeladd from the start.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:19:33 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16616 on: March 20, 2014, 07:05:11 am »

Hah. Opposite for me. Thorfinn seemed like a one-dimensional character. I really liked Askeladd from the start.
Whoa, I come to this thread after a misclick, and people are talking about Vinland Saga.

Same here. Also a huge fan of Friar Willibald. I thought he was a comic relief character at first, dear me.
But the complexity of Thorfinn's character increases exponentially as the show goes on. I found myself liking him more and more after that spoilerrific incident involving the king of England.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16617 on: March 20, 2014, 07:36:57 am »

Hah, yeah but.
Spoiler: errriffic (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16618 on: March 20, 2014, 08:33:06 am »

I thought Guts traveled alone with a pixie or something after the Eclipse and was never again happy.

Giving Guts a traveling harem was obviously more in line with character.

That's actually, remarkably, very far from what happens, and it's one of the big reasons why I respect Kentaro Miura so much as a writer (as well as admiring his gorram fantastic eye for detail in his art): he doesn't write simple characters. Technically, the first member of Guts' new party is Casca, given that he manages to rescue her, but he dumps her with the blacksmith while he goes off looking for revenge. Then there's Puck, the fairy. Two of the others are introduced in Chapter 95 (though they don't join up with Guts until much later), and the last of the group as it currently stands debuted in Chapter 184. By way of comparison, the Eclipse is only in the mid-80s.

But yeah, that's a big part of the reason why I love Berserk so much: none of the characters are what they initially appear to be, and all of them are fairly complex. The closest you get to a "stock" character is Isidro, given that he's something of a parody of shonen tropes and a deconstruction of what would actually happen to a shonen hero in a grimdark low fantasy world, but even then he goes through real development, both as a character and a fighter, and makes contributions to the various plots. And he's the most easily ignored of Guts' crew; Farnese and Serpico are both wonderfully messed up people and have an excellent dynamic, Schierke is probably equal with Guts in terms of importance to the group, Evarella makes a wonderful counterpoint to Puck, and Cascaafter she shows up again with that creepy mystical toddler that looks too much like a mix of her and Guts.... o.0

Those spoilers are mostly namedrops that would tip readers off, BTW.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16619 on: March 20, 2014, 09:12:46 am »

Hah, yeah but.
Spoiler: errriffic (click to show/hide)

Well, maybe. I found his pacifism thing more realistic than it's usually portrayed in fiction. No "hero becomes pacifist, everybody respects hero, hero=guru" lame plot. Besides, the episode where he dreams of Valhalla is my favorite in this whole manga - I thought it was well done. But yes, if you liked him for his killing intent, I guess it does make him less interesting to you.

Speaking of hard-ass characters, Thorkell. Just...Thorkell, even of we disregard the whole HORSE PUNCH episode. Dude is just such a badass troll.

I also kinda like Leif, in that he's probably the only Norse character in the manga a who is not an axe murderer and has a reasonable purpose that does not involve murdering shittons of people. Plus, his determination is admirable - he manages to be rather badass without being, you know, actually violent. Which is hard to pull off in a setting where to be a badass, you need to uppercut a horse into the sky or something. Of course, post-Askeladd Thorfinn is also non-violent, but it is always shown that he is capable of brutality, while Leif is...not very. Yeah.

I made spoilers transparent. Just in case.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”
Pages: 1 ... 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 ... 2193