Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3056408 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2009, 09:35:51 am »

Sometimes western animation that tries to do stylized with simple lines and smooth movements gets instantly dumped into the "wants to be anime" camp for no reason. There has been tons of western animation during the ages that has been like that. It's not an "anime wannabe" if it doesn't show huge sweatdrops, stress nerve thingies in the foreheads, super deformed crap, nosebleeds and so on, sorry.

And Batman style animation was actually very art deco.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 10, 2009, 07:16:09 pm »

Bobobo bobo bobobo is a failure as a show not just an anime...for those who have heard this name several times do not watch it, no matter how curious you are your mind will rot. forget i even said anything
You . . . I just don't know what to say that wouldn't be insanely rude.
THAT SHOW WAS A SPIN-OFF, NOT A REAL SHOW!  IT MAKES FUN OF ANIME STEREOTYPES!
Don't you call my brain "rotted."  Man, I'm a junior taking college level chemistry, and I'm not doing much worse than most of the class (granted it's only 10 people out of 380~ juniors).

You also put in too many "bo"s.  There are only seven.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 10, 2009, 09:28:35 pm »

Oh snap! You just got Bobobo Bobobobo'd!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 10, 2009, 10:46:34 pm »

Bobobo's aside, I'm planning on checking out this anime called Gurren Lagann or somesuch. I heard it's really good.

fingers crossed!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 10, 2009, 11:01:31 pm »

Bobobo's aside, I'm planning on checking out this anime called Gurren Lagann or somesuch. I heard it's really good.

fingers crossed!

From what I understand of the LITTLE of it I know... it is liked because of its general crazyness and non-coherance to "appropriate response".

But people like to exagerate anyhow... so who knows it may be very tame... like Excel Saga probably is.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #230 on: February 11, 2009, 12:08:58 am »

fingers crossed!

Well I personally enjoyed it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 11, 2009, 07:06:40 am »

Bobobo bobo bobobo is a failure as a show not just an anime...for those who have heard this name several times do not watch it, no matter how curious you are your mind will rot. forget i even said anything
You . . . I just don't know what to say that wouldn't be insanely rude.
THAT SHOW WAS A SPIN-OFF, NOT A REAL SHOW!  IT MAKES FUN OF ANIME STEREOTYPES!
Don't you call my brain "rotted."  Man, I'm a junior taking college level chemistry, and I'm not doing much worse than most of the class (granted it's only 10 people out of 380~ juniors).

You also put in too many "bo"s.  There are only seven.

really? o thank god i though something was happening to anime lol. whats it a spin off of?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 11, 2009, 07:24:16 pm »

Oh yeah, Gurren Lagann is awesome.  I saw about four or five episodes and loved it.  But then my brother (who introduced it to me) had to go back to college, and he hasn't sent me the link to the site he found it on yet.

Calling it zany and incoherent is fairly inaccurate, I'd say.  It is a bit goofy, but it's still very entertaining.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 11, 2009, 09:41:40 pm »

After watching the first 7 episodes, I think I can safely say that Gurran Lagann IS entertaining, but it's sorta jarring how it sacrifices logic, coherency, and common sense for comedy and coolness. I can't help be shout at the screen whenever Kamina does something retarded, which is ALL THE TIME. Kamina's dad (who he won't shut up about) must have had the hobby of dropping his son on his head, considering how he acts in adulthood. The worst part is that everyone takes him seriously.

I'm shrugging this off as parody though, and am just trying to enjoy it for what it is, which is a lighthearted action anime show.

I'm a sucker for mecha shows, but I want one with a more serious tone to it. Code Geass: LotR and R2 were a good watch, even if Lelouch was a retard of the less-obvious variety.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 11, 2009, 09:52:46 pm »

Nah, seriousness is overrated.  You get enough of that in life. :-\
Just so I remember

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 11, 2009, 10:02:33 pm »

I'm a sucker for mecha shows, but I want one with a more serious tone to it. Code Geass: LotR and R2 were a good watch, even if Lelouch was a retard of the less-obvious variety.
If serious mecha show(as much as it may be an oxymoron) is what you're looking for, then try Gasaraki. Flag is also very serious in tone, but there was something missing there, like entertainment value, perhaps? Both have a refreshingly sensible approach to stuff like world politics, economy and human relations.
Oh, and Blue Gender is also very good. It is a sort of hard-sf mecha show. It manages to make the mechas at least slightly credible. And it is genereally full of believable stuff, like people and events. However it goes awry around half of the show, when the protagonists finally get to the space station. It went dissapointingly mecha-mainstream from that point. The show still had it's merits, but it wasn't as good as before.
Nah, seriousness is overrated.  You get enough of that in life. :-\
Seriousness can make you care about the characters and plot more, as there are less deus ex machina possibilities to exploit. Without it, all you get is Naruto or Yatterman clones.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 11, 2009, 10:09:43 pm »

Hmm, I will definitely check those out in the future Il Palazzo. Thanks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2009, 10:15:13 pm »

"Without it, all you get is Naruto"

Well Naruto's problem is he seems to be used as a Mary Sue himself... often to grating degrees... despite the fact that he isn't a Mary Sue.

Basically ANYONE Naruto fights who isn't simply downright evil will 100% be compared to Naruto. (usually they will conceed that Naruto is simply better then them)
-Id make a list... but TRUST ME!!! It is pretty much dang near everyone! Sakura, Negi, Rock Lee, Fish girl, Gaara, Saske, Haku, Random people on the street!

If they are an enemy who is downright evil... there is maybe a 20% chance?

If there is a duel between two characters and it isn't Naruto there is a good chance that they are in place of Naruto. (Holding them off). If they lose then Naruto will fight him.

The worst the series got with treating Naruto as a Mary Sue would be the time his role was reversed with his Ninja School teacher... despite this... his teacher proven to be nothing but useless... basically allowing Naruto to play the victum and the hero. Which is too bad because his teacher is a very popular character whom many people would have liked to see a serious battle out of.

That is one of the major problems of Naruto... (Another is "Powerup Itus")
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:17:57 pm by Neonivek »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 14, 2009, 11:43:06 pm »

Yeah, we get it, Naruto is a terrible, unlikeable character. One wonders why the show focuses on him so much.

Lord knows I wouldn't have quit watching it if they ejected Naruto from the show, and renamed it "Neji and Hinata's Variety Hour" or something, that'd be way more interesting.

Or better yet "Talking Dirty with Tsunade", I'd tune in every night for that! Aw Yeah!

Anyway, I finished watching Gurren Lagann, and I gotta say... Well, I don't know what to say. It was entertaining, I'll give you that. My previous statements stand, but they did do some neat things. I'd rant, but the show can be summed up rather simply: "nothing makes sense, period". It leaves ya with a good feeling at the end though, and that's worth alot.

I'd pay cold, hard CASH to see a MST3K of this anime series. Actually, now that I think about it, MST3K's of alot of anime would be pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 11:53:48 pm by chaoticjosh »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 15, 2009, 01:57:04 am »

someone match seto no hayanome...its funny and im not stopping until someone gives me their opinion on it
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 2193