Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 867 868 [869] 870 871 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3073159 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13020 on: December 14, 2012, 06:50:19 am »

Please never confuse the two ever again.
I think you already know what will happen if you do.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13021 on: December 14, 2012, 08:19:13 am »

Except for that one slice of life army anime where the girls all wear actually realistic uniforms.
Did it include realistic hair styles?
Go, go Sora no Woto~ close enough

Hmmmm....awful 12 year old girl assassins? Nothing comes to mind aside from Gunslinger Girl, and that can't be it cuz' they were quite good at the whole assassination thing.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:23:06 am by Kobold Troubadour »
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13022 on: December 14, 2012, 11:33:52 am »

Higurashi no naku koro ni, for some yandere action, I kinda liked "Sola" too and that had a yandere.
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and the sequels Studio Deen did not fuck up Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Rei and Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai do not have yandere characters. It has yangire characters.

Yandere is the whole "deep love" kind of personality where someone loves you to the point where they will kill for you and sacrifice everything for you. Where the girl gets jealous and overly protective if another woman even looks at you. It's what you see in franchises like Mirai Nikki, School Days, Death Note, Rozen Maiden, Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan and Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. Coincidentially most yandere characters are found in romance anime or anime with some romantic elements, though there are some rare exceptions.

Yangire is what you get when someone is sane one moment but just seconds later they flip out, go ballistic, and start mudering everything in sight. There is no love involved but instead something along the lines of mental illness, psychological trauma, or something else that affects the mind and causes a cute and adorable girl to become a foaming-at-the-mouth psychopath. It's the kind of thing you see in Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, Cubed, Cursed, Curious, Rozen Maiden, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Deadman Wonderland, Fullmetal Alchemist and Dai Mahou Touge.

Please never confuse the two ever again.
Spoiler: Higurashi spoiler (click to show/hide)
^ I did actually look that up before I posted my suggestion, but more importantly, I looked at the shows the guy had seen and picked the most appropriate series that he'd likely enjoy. Whereas your shows more "perfectly" fit the yandere trope, they're also nothing like the shows he mentioned. That's being pedantic to the point of failing to answer the original request. Your suggestions of Dokuro-chan, Code Geass and Death note for a guy who wants more shows like School Days and Mirrai Nikki? Really, well just no, those are way too different in feeling.

The odds are exactly zero that the guy who saw Mirrai Nikki and School Days will watch Higurashi and throw his remote down in disgust going "OMG! This is Yangire, I specifically ordered Yandere". The guy obviously wants "girls going axe crazy" and I doubt the exact relationship dynamics is going to matter as much as the screen time and emphasis.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:41:53 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13023 on: December 14, 2012, 01:29:46 pm »

Hmmmm....awful 12 year old girl assassins? Nothing comes to mind aside from Gunslinger Girl, and that can't be it cuz' they were quite good at the whole assassination thing.

I think Excell Saga parodies Gunslinger Girl quite well. They weren't Subtle at all, it is just that people didn't notice them.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13024 on: December 14, 2012, 01:42:01 pm »

[REDACTED]
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:56:08 pm by dei »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13025 on: December 14, 2012, 01:45:43 pm »

Was wondering whether you were serious or trollin' before, thanks for clarifying.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13026 on: December 14, 2012, 01:57:13 pm »

Was wondering whether you were serious or trollin' before, thanks for clarifying.
I don't like you. You're new.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13027 on: December 14, 2012, 01:58:42 pm »

what'ev. BTW i've been here 2 years, i just decided to change my username
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=33961
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:04:35 pm by Reelya »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #13028 on: December 14, 2012, 02:14:12 pm »

I think Excell Saga parodies Gunslinger Girl quite well. They weren't Subtle at all, it is just that people didn't notice them.
Excel Saga parodies Gunslinger Girl? Do you mean the manga? Because the anime finished airing before Gunslinger Girl came out.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13029 on: December 14, 2012, 02:18:54 pm »

Really It is that old huh?

I guess the formula for Gunslinger Girl is just even older.

Since it really is spot on in terms of them not being all that good at the entire reason for them being there. Sometimes you wonder if the creator thought up the concept AFTER he started writing it and just needed an excuse.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:32:26 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13030 on: December 14, 2012, 02:55:43 pm »

Seems like the excel saga anime aired even before the gunslinger girl manga started, so there can't be any direct link parodying it, as far as the anime goes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13031 on: December 14, 2012, 03:00:01 pm »

Seems like the excel saga anime aired even before the gunslinger girl manga started, so there can't be any direct link parodying it, as far as the anime goes.

Yeah it is one of those weird situations. since it works perfectly as a parody of Gunslinger girl (a loose parody, but one that gets the basic oddity across)

Honestly now I want to know what it was a parody of. Since it is obviously a parody of an anime with is almost exactly like Gunslinger girl (which is an odd name given there is more then one girl in gun slinger girl.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:03:23 pm by Neonivek »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13032 on: December 14, 2012, 03:03:48 pm »

Excel Saga parodies everything so one could make the case of a retroactive parody.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #13033 on: December 14, 2012, 03:22:57 pm »

Honestly now I want to know what it was a parody of. Since it is obviously a parody of an anime with is almost exactly like Gunslinger girl (which is an odd name given there is more then one girl in gun slinger girl.)
I always thought Cosette was a parody of Les Miserables...

The only possible thing I can think of is the girl from Gunsmith Cats. And even that's a bit of a stretch. Every other loli assassin anime I can think of came out after Excel. Maybe Excel Saga is responsible for it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13034 on: December 14, 2012, 03:34:19 pm »

Well, the big "girl assassin + covert organization" one from the era just before the Excel Saga manga was clearly Ghost in the shell.
Pages: 1 ... 867 868 [869] 870 871 ... 2193