Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061019 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #10785 on: March 18, 2012, 09:35:09 pm »

Clearly we need a show where our hero does nothing out of the ordinary and nothing happens to him!  I mean I can't see that working unless you decide to be really unconventional.

Also the Berserk movie isn't subbed?  What??  Fansubbers have no taste if that's true.  I'm on volume 6 now.

EDIT:
Wait if it's a movie the only quality available might be bootlegs, I don't want that.  I'm gonna have to wait for Rebuild 3 as well.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10786 on: March 18, 2012, 11:09:40 pm »

Clearly we need a show where our hero does nothing out of the ordinary and nothing happens to him!
I love K-ON!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10787 on: March 18, 2012, 11:36:20 pm »

Clearly we need a show where our hero does nothing out of the ordinary and nothing happens to him!
I love K-ON!
And I don't!  Same for IdolM@ster.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10788 on: March 19, 2012, 10:12:27 am »

I love K-ON!
And I don't!  Same for IdolM@ster.
This is why the "Slice of Life" genre makes me ill.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10789 on: March 19, 2012, 10:21:58 am »

There are other series where nothing "unusual" happens because the entire series is about the main character actually going out and doing something.

A Detective going out to solve murder mysteries every week isn't unusual. A Detective going out to eat and always just happening to have a murder mystery is.

If I remembered Detective Q better I could say whether it counted or not (ignoring the first episode). Since everything that happens is a natural extension of the plot rather then just REALLY random occurances like Detective Conan's vast majority of episodes.

Note: I am not complaining about Detective Conan. It truely is a staple of the series that no matter what Conan is doing that it somehow leads to murder. I just love to laugh at it whenever possible.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10790 on: March 19, 2012, 10:26:24 am »

Conan is also a weird case in that, by the cases happening during winter an summer respectively, years must have already passed since Shinichi got poisoned.

And yet nobody ever seems to age or anything.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10791 on: March 19, 2012, 10:29:11 am »

Conan is also a weird case in that, by the cases happening during winter an summer respectively, years must have already passed since Shinichi got poisoned.

And yet nobody ever seems to age or anything.

It is like Pokemon

The biggest plot twist in the show was watching the first episode of Black and White and they say that Ash's Age is... 10!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10792 on: March 19, 2012, 10:32:44 am »

Ah, but in that case you can just say "Arceus did it"

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #10793 on: March 19, 2012, 08:46:05 pm »

This is why the "Slice of Life" genre makes me ill.
I think the slice of life genre becomes a problem when it's essentially used to promote cute girls for the audience to fawn over without having to come up with an actual narrative. Instead by showing the girls in their day to day lives it makes them even more relateable for the audience which makes the characters even more popular. Which is why shows like Lucky Star fail to appeal to me.

Where the slice-of-life genre shines though is in places where a true narrative would detract from the point of the show, whether it's an analysis of otaku culture (Genshiken), a series of lessons about friendship (Aria), an examination of love and death (Ai-ren), or an excuse to drawn gorgeous landscapes (Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou).
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10794 on: March 19, 2012, 09:01:12 pm »

Of course Azumanga is just recommended enough as it is. It's spiritual sequel Yotsubato is pretty awesome as well from the little I've read.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10795 on: March 19, 2012, 09:29:38 pm »

Instead by showing the girls in their day to day lives it makes them even more relateable for the audience which makes the characters even more popular. Which is why shows like Lucky Star fail to appeal to me.
I'm not sure how this is a con? I'd think you'd want to be able to relate to the characters to some extent? Admittedly, otaku culture's a really easy target, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. I'm not a fan of Lucky Star either though.

And as far as "showing girls in their day to day lives", K-ON remains king, at least in the sense of showing "average" girls. Only they can dedicate an episode to girls being bored because they have nothing to do, so they end up doing nothing in particular.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #10796 on: March 19, 2012, 09:46:38 pm »

It's not a con, I just think it's a flimsy premise for a show. It's as if the entire show revolves around making you want to buy merchandise for these characters. Which is fine if that's your thing, but the whole thing seems kinda boring and exploitative to me.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10797 on: March 19, 2012, 11:12:15 pm »

Where the slice-of-life genre shines though is in places where a true narrative would detract from the point of the show, whether it's an analysis of otaku culture (Genshiken), a series of lessons about friendship (Aria), an examination of love and death (Ai-ren), or an excuse to drawn gorgeous landscapes (Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou).
All of these seem like terrible premises to me as well. :I
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10798 on: March 19, 2012, 11:53:21 pm »

Natsume Yuinchou is slice of life. It's really good.
It's about a kid who can see yokai, and inherits a book of names of yokai from his grandmother.
You'd think it'd be a typical shonen, got-a-catch-em-all from that description but instead it's a super peaceful read about coming to terms with loneliness, friends who don't share your point of view, foster parents, trust and other things.
He gives the names back and starts connecting with people.
Is it just me? I find that series extremely heartwarming. They made a good anime of it too.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10799 on: March 20, 2012, 12:20:41 am »

Kamiya Hiroshi voices the MC in that too!

I'm on volume 9 of Berserk now...sweet jegus this arc.
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 2193