Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1919 1920 [1921] 1922 1923 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3073048 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28800 on: September 08, 2016, 04:33:08 pm »

What's Kaleid Liner? Is it good?
It's a magical girl spinoff that panders to pedophiles.

Which is a shame, because the core concept of "Zelretch takes apprentices and decides to fuck with them by making them act like magical girls" is hilarious.
For what it's worth, if you're one of those people who can drown in fanservice that you might not agree with and still just shrug it all off (those rare few of us) it's actually a pretty funny/cool show that matches the exact hilarity you describe with the occasional epic/horrifying moment that the Fate series is so good at hitting just the right way.

I mean it's still definitely not a show you watch in public (and for some parts you probably want your headphones on), but if you're one of those rare few who can ignore high levels of fanservice and you've got that Fate itch then it can help hold you over until the Heaven's Feel movies start to come out at least. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28801 on: September 08, 2016, 04:45:17 pm »

Plus uh... that moment Furtuka was talking about just happened in 3rei ep 10 I think.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28802 on: September 08, 2016, 04:47:47 pm »

I mean, I'm normally like that, but from what I remember I tried to watch it and turned it off partway through the first episode since that was basically just Illya flashing Shirou and the audience repeatedly. And yeah, that one bit that was in the scrapbook Furtuka posted is not exactly a good mark, since I was in the party that spent pretty much every experiential moment of F/SN mentally chanting "Kill Shinji and Zouken! Kill 'em yesterday!"

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28803 on: September 08, 2016, 04:54:45 pm »

I mean, I'm normally like that, but from what I remember I tried to watch it and turned it off partway through the first episode since that was basically just Illya flashing Shirou and the audience repeatedly. And yeah, that one bit that was in the scrapbook Furtuka posted is not exactly a good mark, since I was in the party that spent pretty much every experiential moment of F/SN mentally chanting "Kill Shinji and Zouken! Kill 'em yesterday!"

Well if you want to know in regards to that...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:59:41 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28804 on: September 08, 2016, 05:10:14 pm »

Yup, and it isn't like this was exactly the most uh, Victorian Sensibility friendly series in the first place, what with it originally being a dating/H-game that accidentally a whole interesting setting and storyline.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28805 on: September 08, 2016, 06:55:17 pm »

Yup, and it isn't like this was exactly the most uh, Victorian Sensibility friendly series in the first place, what with it originally being a dating/H-game that accidentally a whole interesting setting and storyline.
I don't know about accidentally. The dating/H-game market of Japan is pretty good and lots of good things come out of it, but also having sexual content is pretty much the only way that games at that tier of budget can financially survive over there. So a lot of the creativity, both in story and to a lesser degree in gameplay, winds up in games that would generally be considered sketchy at best in western markets.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28806 on: September 08, 2016, 08:20:07 pm »

I mean, I'm normally like that, but from what I remember I tried to watch it and turned it off partway through the first episode since that was basically just Illya flashing Shirou and the audience repeatedly.
Yeah, you don't run into your first kinda Fate-y darkish moment till episode 2 IIRC, and then not again till like 5-6ish. In a lot of ways it follows the standard Fate series conventions of starting with slice of life and then mixing in a few dark moments, followed with more slice of life and a sprinkle of more dark/epic moments; just in this case replace half of the slice of life stuff with a brand of fanservice that is much harder to ignore for many people.

To tell the truth the fanservice stuff on it's own bothers me more than it probably seems here in the defending position, but honestly I'm just a super big sucker for that particularly blended note of dark and epic that the various Fate (and some other Nasuverse) series manage to strike, plus Kaleid is still a recent enough show that you can get a bit of the epic fights going on (though obviously not to the extent of UBW) due to modern animation techniques/tech. So it's also kinda a case where the pluses from those moments help to counterbalance the cringe from others.

I mean it's definitely meh or worse in plenty of aspects, but if you're one of those people like me who has watched F/Z twice, UBW three times, and some of the semi-related other nasuverse stuff like Kara no Kyoukai (which is also an amazing set of films) or Tsukihime searching for that particular note of darkness and despair tinged with moments of epic, and you still crave a bit more, then you can certainly find it ringing out in Kaleid, albeit surrounded by a much different accompaniment than what it usually plays with.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28807 on: September 08, 2016, 08:57:41 pm »

Fair enough. And if I could stomach ZnT I can probably get over this.

On a related note, Red River Ch.3 reaction coming soonish.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28808 on: September 08, 2016, 09:02:25 pm »

Fair enough. And if I could stomach ZnT I can probably get over this.

On a related note, Red River Ch.3 reaction coming soonish.
Aw yeah.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28809 on: September 09, 2016, 12:37:40 am »

Yeah, that first big battle with Ilya using the Archer card vs Saber Alter is surprisingly badass, even given the context of having literally watched UBW and /Zero just before starting Kaleid, and so being spoiled by the ufotable stuff.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28810 on: September 09, 2016, 06:00:37 pm »

Oh god... I just "got" why it is called Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya, I think.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28811 on: September 09, 2016, 06:14:08 pm »

Abbr doesn't work for mobile browsers, BTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28812 on: September 09, 2016, 06:24:13 pm »

No, but you can always quote the post to read it in plaintext.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28813 on: September 09, 2016, 06:28:10 pm »

No, but you can always quote the post to read it in plaintext.
It's an extra, annoying, step.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28814 on: September 09, 2016, 06:32:48 pm »

* Sirus shrugs and rides away
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 1919 1920 [1921] 1922 1923 ... 2193