Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299385 times)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1185 on: July 09, 2012, 01:12:09 pm »

It's still "in between".  One week is between one day and one month, one week is between one month and one day.  It sounds a LITTLE odd to say the 2nd, but it's by no means "wrong" and in some contexts (like when counting down) would even be preferred.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: July 09, 2012, 02:06:52 pm »

No, it isn't, salted meat lasts the least of smoked meat and dried meat. That's not an in between, that's an extreme. (So it's like saying a day is between a week and a month.)

Smoked meat is in between salted meat and dried meat. The issue isn't of grammar, but of what's factual. Considering the price of salt, it's darned important to know that it's the least effective method of preservation. Smoking is preferred except during the winter, where drying should be done. There is almost no reason to salt unless you are no where near a fireplace, and you don't want your big stack of cuts to go bad. Losing a chunk of those cuts is preferable to losing all but 16 of those cuts.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: July 09, 2012, 02:18:18 pm »

Ooops you're right, I didn't read the comparison closely enough - sorry :P  I blame the heat and a hangover :D

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: July 10, 2012, 05:03:52 am »

Reporting this here for some greater visibility, and so people who find it relevant can use it.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: July 10, 2012, 02:31:47 pm »

So I've been playing this the past few days and am getting by with just fishing.  I didn't start with a knife unfortunately so i broke a ton of branches off to make torches, found a town and sold my torches to a hunter for a broad knife.

I started to cut down trunks and made a bunch of logs.  I had to drag them all into a pile and built part of a wall.  Doing this would take ages to build a house!

Anyways, what I was wondering if there is a better way of getting food?  Is trapping worth it?  Also, do your skills increase through use?  Like if I have no skill in trapping and build tons of traps will I gain skill?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: July 10, 2012, 02:56:23 pm »

I started to cut down trunks and made a bunch of logs.  I had to drag them all into a pile and built part of a wall.  Doing this would take ages to build a house!
Eeyup.
Anyways, what I was wondering if there is a better way of getting food?  Is trapping worth it?  Also, do your skills increase through use?  Like if I have no skill in trapping and build tons of traps will I gain skill?
Traps are only useful if you have a lot of them. You also need some way to "herd" animals in there, thus the trap fence.

And yes, skill increases through use or for completing an F5 course. I *think* you might need at least 1 point in a skill though.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: July 10, 2012, 02:58:09 pm »

I recommend fishing. Using nets.

Here's why.

And that's one day's catch using 6 nets. You need to keep them there for two days about though.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: July 10, 2012, 03:25:47 pm »

Well, i put 3 nets on rapids and after the month they didn't catch a thing, checked daily. Maybe because i was sleeping in the shelter so close to it? Or its just a problem with giveaway version (worked great in earlier one i had)?
I also hate that you have to be in the same *global map tile* to fish using rod, beeing just one tile away from it on the local map is often not enough (rivers tend to have their edges at the *global map tile* edge).

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: July 10, 2012, 03:34:17 pm »

Well, i put 3 nets on rapids and after the month they didn't catch a thing, checked daily. Maybe because i was sleeping in the shelter so close to it? Or its just a problem with giveaway version (worked great in earlier one i had)?

Your fishing skill might be too low, but I'm not sure if that affects nets. You've usually got to leave them for longer than a day though.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1194 on: July 10, 2012, 04:08:07 pm »

I don't know, but for me rapids tend to have few fish, unlike advertised.

I like to fish on lakes.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: July 10, 2012, 04:12:24 pm »

Yeah I started with two nets, and have thrown them out right next to my shelter on a lake, and pretty much catch something every day.  In one catch I netted 12 Lavarets!

Is it possible to make more nets or do you just trade for them?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: July 10, 2012, 04:13:42 pm »

Nets need to be traded for - most villages have a fishing supply store in Driiklas territory.

As for rapids, I have only really got fish out of them in Autumn, more as a secondary food source alongside meat and small scale agriculture.
This is a blank sig.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1197 on: July 10, 2012, 04:34:38 pm »

Does anyone not get bored with one world long enough to survive more than one winter? xD I got slightly bored halfway through May, picked a fight with one of the Njerpez and lost.

The losing part wasn't on purpose.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: July 10, 2012, 05:07:28 pm »

Some people have done truly amazing things over one world over the years. Not that I know, I typically don't get far enough to get to winter, much less survive it.

And for fishing, yes, rule of thumb is, longer than a day, shorter than two. Actually, make sure it's shorter than two, that's not a rule of thumb. If it's one phase away from the phase you put it down two days ago, say hello to nets filled with dead fish. (Hint, shift + L in order to find out when you put them, then wait about a phase or two.) Sometimes, you won't catch anything anyway.

If you can rely on fishing, agriculture and hunting, you should survive. And I think the farther north you go, the less civilized things are, and the more game there is to catch, so starting at the drrik cultural area may not be a good idea. I suppose if you wanted to, killing people is a good source of meat, but it does in fact, lower your luck. Which means falling off trees more, and possible death, as well as less food.

Quick edit here, I forgot the god of all foods. Fat. If you ever get fat, don't waste it as tanning material. Roast it. 2 pounds of it lasted me a few days.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 05:13:46 pm by chaoticag »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: July 11, 2012, 12:28:41 am »

Hmm... luck, you say? Is that the hidden stat that rituals increase? "You feel more comfortable"?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 101