Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299405 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1155 on: July 05, 2012, 09:00:09 pm »

I'm pretty out of shape in general, but even I can carry 100-150 lbs of reasonably distributed weight across my body with little difficulty as long as I'm not expected to do more than a moderate walking pace. I've done 200 before for short distances. Most of my characters in URW can easily outdo anything I could do in real life, however I"m not out in the woods hunting, chopping trees, building log cabins and surviving every day either.

I do believe the weight thing was talked about by the developer at some point. Basically once you get to the really heavy weights, such as if you're carrying multiple small trees or one large one, then you're expected to be dragging it rather than outright carrying it. This is from memory though, I could be mistaken.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 05, 2012, 11:33:26 pm »

I've thought about changing other images to get rid of the whole, "awkward photos of bad nordic LARPers" theme it has going on, but that's a bit too much work for me just yet.

That is EXACTLY what I'm planning to do. Since I've said this before, and Ill say it a million times more. It's so bad looking it's almost charming. ALMOST. So it just looks plain bad.

I'm personally leaning towards replacing the actions with descriptive simple symbols and replacing most backrounds with drawn and not photographed scenery or clean and smooth looking textured backdrops. Same for that silly wood bar. Probably gonna replace that with a clean looking sort of border like the edge of a window.

Janet, I would love it if you did this. You'd have to share.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: July 05, 2012, 11:39:49 pm »

Bloody starvation killed me again.  >:(

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 06, 2012, 01:12:49 am »

*settles down for a nice URW session*
*extracts files... Huh. It's a setup.exe? Check the readme...*

"Unzip the package you've downloaded and run Setup.exe which is included in the package, to
install and activate the software.

You have to install it before the Giveaway offer for the software is over."

>:(

Oh crap, yeah, I think I got screwed over by that once in the past. Now, if it interests me, I always install it ASAP, even if I don't intend to play it right away.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 06, 2012, 01:22:06 am »

I'll have to start playing this again. So many fond memories of it. Plus I can now play it knowing full well that I could carry girlinhat indefinately if my survival in winter depended on it. In real life as well. The things you learn on bay12 forums...........
It's a game. Have fun.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: July 06, 2012, 02:16:27 am »

Janet, I would love it if you did this. You'd have to share.

This is exactly why I'm hunting for stuff that I can release in a pack.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 06, 2012, 04:18:36 am »

Well, to be fair, even though you could carry here, I tend to find that people are a very good source of food in this game. You probably want to make people jerky. Not that I advocate cannibalism or  anything, that's Janet's job.

(If we do figure out how to change the graphics and things, I think I can have my sister help us out by making custom graphics, but no promises)

Edit: Also, one thing. I just felt unity with the world. What does that mean, if anything?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 06:24:42 am by chaoticag »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 06, 2012, 08:08:45 am »

I modded it to be able to make road tiles. I changed the example file so it only cost me 1 unit of pebbles, though (let's face it, they're useless except as a decoration and you need a lot of them, using a ton of large stones for each tile makes no sense). They make my settlement look good.

About people making their home and getting bored: don't think of it as a "base", but as a rest stop. Store things there, move on, travel a ways and make another one (last game I had 3 or 4, including one near the islanders with all the trading and fish and stuff, and one in the northern edge where the hunting is way better).

Obviously, tons of dry meat in each.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 06, 2012, 08:42:14 am »

Edit: Also, one thing. I just felt unity with the world. What does that mean, if anything?

New rituals become unlocked when you feel unity. You have to go speak to a village elder to make them usable though, and no new ones will become 'available' until you unlocked it. So after the first "You feel unity with the world" message, you won't get a new ritual unless you already activated the old one by visiting the old man.

Hunting can be annoying sometimes. I climb the trees to look for horses, njerpez, anything interesting... I get squirrels. Always with the squirrels.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 07, 2012, 09:31:57 pm »

Question-- what's the best action to train a weapon skill? In particular, 'knives'? Does attacking with the blunt/edge/point affect skill gain differently?

I know that certain actions train you faster than others. But in general, skill gain is just horrifically slow all-round. I regularly finish off opponents by using deliberately weak knife attacks (using the blunt side, or piercing the legs) but the skill has barely raised a single percent so far.

It's just frustrating to think that if I ever want to be good with knives, I'm going to have to cheese my way through the tutorial a few times and spend bonus points on it. Just doesn't feel right doing that.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 07, 2012, 09:55:29 pm »

I took the plunge and bought the $3 thing. Pretty fun so far, apart from the fact I ALWAYS find squirrels. Always the damn squirrels. BTW, Oath of Iron'ed javelins are OP. So are bows.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: July 08, 2012, 08:11:18 am »

In a world where most people use fur as armour, he who has a bow is king.

So, who can offer me a little help: my industrial processing of Reindeer meat continues, but it is now summer and Drying is out of the question. Smoking is fine (my smokehouse is churning cuts out at a solid rate), but I would like a little variety. Where can I obtain salt?
This is a blank sig.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: July 08, 2012, 08:24:30 am »

Villages sometimes sell it. Not worth it in my opinion, as salting preserves a time in between Drying and Smoking. It's also very expensive.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: July 08, 2012, 08:24:53 am »

Yea, oath of iron javelins are pretty much the rocket launcher of Unreal World. I suggest avoiding using them if you can, because they kind of break the game.

Or, well, use them if you just want to explore I guess!

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 08, 2012, 11:49:28 am »

I steer clear of any rituals that have physical effects on the gameworld, like Oath or "Request for X". Sacrificing and appeasing the gods is fine, IMO, and reflects the spiritual beliefs of tribesmen of the time period. But to actually have... well... there's no other way to put it: magic in this otherwise realistic survival game, just feels wrong to me.

I mean, once you get a steady food supply going, the game's easy enough (accidents notwithstanding). I don't want fantasy-style "buffs" influencing my survival chances.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 101