Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 150454 times)

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #405 on: June 24, 2009, 02:56:42 pm »

I hate giant wolf spiders. HATE THEM!!!

WARGBGBGBGBGBGBGLLLL

2 webshots seem to be capable of killing an entire defense force of 12. grrrr.

Just need a longer spike trap corridor is all....yesssss

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 25, 2009, 05:45:17 pm »

Ok, as some may or may not know, I've got Morul playing around with orcs on his way to being all around legendary, but he disposes of them a bit quickly. I've had as many as two squads of 16 hammer/pike on him with another squad of snipers shooting at him at one time and he wiped them all out without even a light grey wound.

I had thought I made them smaller in size when I embarked to make sure he didn't die right off but I checked the raws and I accidentally changed the wrong DF install. So right now mine are size 8, damblock 4, but upgraded to steel armor/weapons. Oh well.

In order to increase the difficulty so he spends more time fighting, what do you suggest I change? I know that both damblock and size are in the combat calculation, but I think damblock only impacts defense, where size impacts both. Is it possible to give them adamantine? That might actually do damage to Morul (2.5x more damage dealt), but I'd get the wealth addition to the fortress to keep the sieges coming, so it'd be worth a try. Or do you think I should just start cranking up size/damblock? Or is there something else I should consider?

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 25, 2009, 07:06:10 pm »

Is it possible to give them adamantine? That might actually do damage to Morul (2.5x more damage dealt), but I'd get the wealth addition to the fortress to keep the sieges coming, so it'd be worth a try. Or do you think I should just start cranking up size/damblock? Or is there something else I should consider?

If it is, I would recommend adamantine armor and wooden or bone weapons.  That way they have almost no chance of damaging Morul, but he has to work his beard off to get through them, too.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 26, 2009, 03:12:26 am »

Ok, I upgraded the orcs to size 10 and damblock 6. Morul still got through them without a scratch but when he took on two squads at once he got tired to the point of exhaustion - went unconscious right at the end with a single orc jumping on him for a while until he woke up and sent him flying. He was fine after a moment and then went off and clobbered another squad.

I've seen him tired before, but never exhausted, and unconscious isn't really the outcome I'm looking for. I think I'll mix up the stats some and see what happens.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 26, 2009, 12:30:15 pm »

Ok, I upgraded the orcs to size 10 and damblock 6. Morul still got through them without a scratch but when he took on two squads at once he got tired to the point of exhaustion - went unconscious right at the end with a single orc jumping on him for a while until he woke up and sent him flying. He was fine after a moment and then went off and clobbered another squad.

I've seen him tired before, but never exhausted, and unconscious isn't really the outcome I'm looking for. I think I'll mix up the stats some and see what happens.

If you can get yourself access to dwarf companion, I'd suggest boosting their shield user skill. It should make it much harder for Morul to get through them, but not increase their damage to him at all.

You could also increase the block amount on steel to levels similar to adamantine. You won't be able to get them to use adamantine once you've started, but you can change the protection that steel gives to adamantine-like levels. It will mean that Morul's defence goes up too, but he's pretty much invulnerable anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 26, 2009, 01:40:55 pm »

If you can get yourself access to dwarf companion, I'd suggest boosting their shield user skill. It should make it much harder for Morul to get through them, but not increase their damage to him at all.

You could also increase the block amount on steel to levels similar to adamantine. You won't be able to get them to use adamantine once you've started, but you can change the protection that steel gives to adamantine-like levels. It will mean that Morul's defence goes up too, but he's pretty much invulnerable anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

Actually, that last idea is a pretty good one. Morul is all adamantine, so boosting steel wouldn't affect him at all. I'll give that a shot. For the next siege I reduced the orc size to 9 but increased damblock to 7. Just curious to see how things change. Not sure if the exhaustion came from him attacking or him defending.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 26, 2009, 02:34:18 pm »

Actually, that last idea is a pretty good one. Morul is all adamantine, so boosting steel wouldn't affect him at all. I'll give that a shot. For the next siege I reduced the orc size to 9 but increased damblock to 7. Just curious to see how things change. Not sure if the exhaustion came from him attacking or him defending.

Most likely defending. Each attack by an orc will generate a shield block + counterstrike, which means that when taking on two squads he will likely be taking ten or twenty times as many actions per round as he normally does, which will wear him out pretty quickly.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 26, 2009, 03:16:46 pm »

Most likely defending. Each attack by an orc will generate a shield block + counterstrike, which means that when taking on two squads he will likely be taking ten or twenty times as many actions per round as he normally does, which will wear him out pretty quickly.

Well, that explains why Morul is skilling up so quickly. Now I just need a siege every season!

Angellus

« Reply #413 on: June 27, 2009, 04:08:51 pm »

Ok, downloaded them, will remove trapavoid though, I like traplaying too much. It is addable after genning, not?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 27, 2009, 04:10:44 pm »

Ok, downloaded them, will remove trapavoid though, I like traplaying too much. It is addable after genning, not?

Yep.

Angellus

« Reply #415 on: June 27, 2009, 04:32:26 pm »

Dammit, forgot to remove :XD
Doing it now ^^

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 29, 2009, 07:47:01 am »

Playing minus [trAPAVOID] here, and having a wow of a time. I've got a whole outdoors complex set up, with a 7X7 drawbridge to keep out the orcs :D
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 05, 2009, 10:34:00 am »

Playing with your orcs on steroids to help against messed up megabeasts. They stand a good chance so the world actually has a population for once... Good job on the orcs. 
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Angellus

« Reply #418 on: July 08, 2009, 04:19:16 am »

Ok, just reclaimed, orcs siege, gone fortress XD

Going to reclaim again XD

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #419 on: July 27, 2009, 04:07:09 pm »

How would a legendary wrestler with copper plate armor fare in a 1v1 situation? 

At the moment, I've got about half of my fortress (~15 of the ~30 dwarves) as legendary wrestlers, and several that are learning to use a crossbow or axe.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 37