Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 150439 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #435 on: September 07, 2009, 03:14:12 pm »

I actually removed [trAPAVOID] but only temporarily. I'm going to put it back once my fort gets into the third or so year, and I actually have some form of defense.

People in the DD thread were saying that orcs aren't smart enough to avoid traps.
But really, this mod here is a difficulty mod more than a "realistic" mod; really, don't be so anal about being realistic.

Great mod, btw.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 08, 2009, 07:11:18 am »

I notice people in this thread are fine with the [trAPAVOID]!

Over at the [DIG DEEPER] thread I get a lot of people requesting the removal of the aforementioned tag. I think that it fits quite well though.

[DIG DEEPER] strikes me a more of an immersion mod. There are lots of changes to everything from the stones to the creatures you face. Most players in [DIG DEEPER] aren't looking solely for a military challenge, they want a change that includes a slightly more difficult military arc. [ORCS] are designed to be a military challenge exclusively. Few mods are more powerful than the orcs (I think the only popular mod stronger than the orcs is the goblin mod). But I could be totally wrong, I play both mods and think they're both awesome.

As for defenses, I always embark with enough metal to make two or three suits of chain and enough leather to make undersuits. Personally I'd go with blunt weapons over swords or wrestling though, as they don't get stuck. Train wrestling to legendary first, obviously, legendary wrestlers have high dodge, stats, and counterattack a lot, but I've seen legendary wrestler/high master hammerer dwarves cut down half a squad on their own.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Beryllium

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 14, 2009, 11:22:14 pm »

How would I get this to work with the 40d16 linux build?

Edzako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 09, 2009, 04:24:09 pm »

I had one ork invasions by th end of second year. My military by that point consisted of 16 legendary wrestlers with iron shields and just got their first spear practice - most of them was novice. When   they met about equally sized or force in the field they took them out without a scratch.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 11, 2009, 04:44:29 am »

I just had my first orc siege i fought off face-to-face.
They came in summer the secound year, with 8 Wrestlers and 8 Maulers.
I had 4 Chapions which have been training right from the beginning and 10 unarmed, unarmored wrestlers i just recruited from the last immigrant wave.
None of the orcs survived but i lost 7 wrestlers and 1 champion(which couldn't max out his skills due to spinal damage).

Since I send in my wrestler first, the survivors will be rewarded with orcish maces and are finally allowed to wear armor.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 11, 2009, 07:59:44 am »

The Orcs have sieged me many times, so I always used the one military dwarf I had at the time. My Captain of the Guard fended of all the attacks since he was appointed Sheriff way back when. Now if someone would be so kind and tell me how to upload screenshots I'll put a few up.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 09:09:24 am by dragon1423 »
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Need_More_War!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 11, 2009, 09:20:51 pm »

This mod is great, there first siege leveled my fortess, very fun.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 12, 2009, 08:24:43 pm »

Well I removed TRAPAVOID because im still a noob and i caught couple orcs especially the one who killed my legendary ambusher/wrestler/swordsdwarf. I have no idea what to do with them I was thinking to add trAINABLE to the so I can have a bunch of tame orcs. What do you guys think?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Need_More_War!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 12, 2009, 10:06:53 pm »

sounds cool, would it be possible to have a trainer, train them into war animals?

theevilmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 14, 2009, 02:40:07 am »

why is it that every time i kill an important orc he has 30 earing and amulets on him.. whats the point of that much jewelerry? three pages of elf leather amulets and elf bone earings? wtf

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 14, 2009, 03:28:47 am »

Those are bits of everyone he's ever killed.

Demons and Gobbos do it too.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #446 on: October 23, 2009, 10:24:37 am »

I just had a goblin leader with a Hydra bracelet and on top of that one of the others had a shield with a picture of the slaying of it.

Current game has gotten to the end of orc and goblin leaders now, so it's a bit quiet. Last orc Siege was with their High Priest/Drunk hehe, doesn't get much better than that.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 25, 2009, 04:38:36 pm »

I decided to play with orcs w/o drawbridge cheating for once, and they killed my first fort out within a few years. I am now on my second try, and I am quite nervous... I embarked on a seemlingly perfect map: flux, lava, bottomless pit, HFS, river, and an underground pool. I couldn't ask for more features! Unfortunately, what the embark screen didn't tell me was, it seems there is not an ounce of iron on the map. Tons of copper and cinnabar, but no iron ores. I am currently training up an army of 8 wrestlers, but I will have no armor and no weapons for them... I'm scared.  :'(

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 25, 2009, 07:16:42 pm »

I took [trAPAVOID] off the orcs, too, but I promised myself not to use the conventional traps on them. So why'd I do that? So that my elaborate pressure-plate triggered traps work. Which is a whole lot more amusing.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #449 on: October 27, 2009, 11:26:50 am »

You need weapons.. even if worst metal. You will get quite a bit of metal from the orcs.

I'm in 212 now. Started with making a huge moat and removing all access to site but from 2-3 places.

Here's my stats.

pop: 124 (cap at 101 due to fps hit, but they just keep making babies...! (25 kids... even if goblins took one and orcs killed 3)
army: 40 (7 archers, rest sword/axe and one hammer team)
animals: 210 (mostly caged, 11 wolves/dogs trained, some staitoned)

war status , orc assaults:
winter 201: 16 orcs, 9 killed (dwarves unscathed)
summer 202: 48 orcs, 26 killed (5 heroes died in battle)
autumn 203: 64 orcs, 37 killed (7 dead heroes)
winter 203: 80 orcs, 41 killed (no losses)
autumn 204: 48 orcs, 29 killed (1 hero died)
summer 205: 64 orcs, 42 killed (6 heroes died)
winter 206: 80 orcs, all killed (1 hero died)
winter 211: 80 orcs, 48 killed (5 heroes died - 3 children var 10 sq from 2 orc groups spawning point)

nuisance status, goblin assaults:
summer 206, 16/14
autumn  207, 48/20 (1 idiot died)
autumn 209, 80/30
spring 210, 64/30 (1 forgotten hero died)
winter 210, 80/43
spring 211, 80/33

other status, human assaults ("The Assault of Sharks"):
winter 206: 16/12 (1 idiot died)
summer 208: 32/22 (another idiot died)
(peace offer accepted to get some wood/metals)

Nice artifacts:
a turtle bone short sword
a steel chain mail
a pig iron war hammer
a turtle shell chain
an adamantine cage (with dragon bone)
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 37