Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: Most obscure game you've ever played?  (Read 27552 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Most obscure game you've ever played?
« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2010, 04:06:01 am »

I picked up for 5 bucks, I think its called Star Empires V or Stellar Empire V? something like that. Looks interesting, but OMG is there to much crap to deal with and none of it is explained. They could have at least started you out with a couple basic ship designs you can build.

There a wiki a for the game series with fan made patches for the various bugs.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 27, 2010, 03:20:56 pm »

Wiz War
I think I've play this game. You get a dungeon deck right, right then deal them out and that sets up the play area?

Four "boards" which you can arrange any which way, yeah.  I built a hex-grid version for myself, implenting a lot of card ideas I had (some of which were inside jokes with my friend at the time, such as Hot Chocolate being a healing item and Mr. Johnson's Revenge was a card that made Hot Chocolate a useless item--Mr. Johnson being the physics teacher I had in highschool who was the one who gave us hot chocolate in class, and if he wasn't feeling nice that day he'd take it away*).

I ended up with a deck of like 200 cards, which I'd printed out on a brown cardstock, which was like 2 and a half inches thick.  Later I went through and removed a bunch of that crap and balanced out the ratios (so your "value" cards--some attack cards couldn't be played without them, they also increased movement--were as common as the original game).  I also had to ditch a few of the map boards themselves as I'd drawn out the walls poorly and created useless dead-end sections (which was funny when it came up due to Create Wall, but utterly pointless as the base map construct).

*Or more accurately he took away the coffee pot, prompting creative students to hold the styrofoam cup under the coffee maker's drip-spout for hot water (and burned fingers).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:23:12 pm by Draco18s »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 27, 2010, 03:30:36 pm »

I picked up for 5 bucks, I think its called Star Empires V or Stellar Empire V? something like that. Looks interesting, but OMG is there to much crap to deal with and none of it is explained. They could have at least started you out with a couple basic ship designs you can build.

Space Empires? That's a quite not-obscure series. It is hella overwhelming though.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 27, 2010, 03:49:07 pm »

Space Empires? That's a quite not-obscure series. It is hella overwhelming though.

Space Empires III is still the best IMO.  I like some of the advances they made, but neither 4 nor 5 have a balanced tech tree in vanilla (5's is the worst) and I've had graphical corruption with 5 (wrong bitmaps being loaded in for UI items).  4's tech advancement.....thingy....was a pain in the ass (I loved 3's, which 5 went back to, IIRC).

That said, 5 is really really nice and with any one of the various "balance mods" out there is actually quite good (I suggest this one, but there's a nice list here--the AI mod is a good choice, as is the random research mod, though I never played with it myself).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 27, 2010, 04:05:08 pm »

I can't believe I haven't mentioned Remember Tomorrow here yet. A 4X space RTS, somewhat akin to Lost Empire:Immortals. Largely forgotten, mostly due to being made in Russia, and having no multiplayer whatsoever. It did have the best ship design system of all the 4X games I know, and the beginnings of a very good research system, but playing it alone vs the more or less dumb AI gets boring very soon.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 27, 2010, 04:54:19 pm »

Reminds me of a not-very-obscure, but certainly under-appreciated game, Immortal Defense.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 27, 2010, 09:30:28 pm »

It's cheating to count your own, unpublished games, I guess :P.

In which case I'd say Bang!Howdy was one of the more obscure ones I played.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 28, 2010, 10:13:10 am »

It's cheating to count your own, unpublished games, I guess :P

I haven't. ;)
Can I count my own published games?  No more than 7,847 have played any single game I've published (not unique visits, also counting only one portal, and it doesn't help that Flash 10 broke it).

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2010, 05:46:31 am »

I'd have to say D.R.O.D. (Deadly Rooms Of Death) I even did voice acting for Journey to Rooted Hold, I got payed a whole $20! That was a lot to me because I was ten.
Try to guess who I was.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:49:30 am by Taco Dan »
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2010, 08:39:47 am »

The imbalance in SEV made me sad, I remember wiping out entire empires using nothing more than a handful of fighters.

I do remember one game I played when I was young, it was a Star Wars game in which you built droids using certain parts and then navigated them through missions to unlock more parts. If I remember correctly you were some kind of a rebel spy among the Jawas trying to uncover some kind of empire plot or something.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 31, 2010, 08:47:08 am »

I do remember one game I played when I was young, it was a Star Wars game in which you built droids using certain parts and then navigated them through missions to unlock more parts. If I remember correctly you were some kind of a rebel spy among the Jawas trying to uncover some kind of empire plot or something.
Star Wars Droid Works?

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 31, 2010, 09:00:33 am »

Yes! Wow now I have to play it again.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 31, 2010, 11:56:54 pm »

Star Wars Droid Works?

Yea, I had that game. It was pretty cool actually. Never could get through the last mission with the assassian droid. No idea where the CD is now,

There also this rareish game called Galaxis that I tried to get, but couldn't.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:59:04 pm by smjjames »

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 01, 2010, 12:11:43 am »

THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 01, 2010, 12:28:34 am »

No, it was a computer game and it was from back in the 1990's, so its much older than that.

I think one of the races might have been Psilon or something, but may be crossreferencing MOO here.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20