Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: New World: Beastiary project  (Read 12474 times)

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
New World: Beastiary project
« on: August 31, 2008, 10:55:10 pm »

Alright, so I've got a new mod idea in the developmental stages right now that aims to diversify the DF menagerie in a way that doesn't rely on real-world animals.  The goal is to create a more colorful world, full of strange and fiendish creatures to rival the elephants and unicorns in Dwarven legends.

DFFD dowload page.

Ronkasith:  These aggressive and crafty creatures resemble mandrills with blood red fur and porcine faces, complete with tusks.  They roam tropical regions and are able and willing to assault any Dwarves they might come across.  Not only that, but they're very inclined to steal anything that interests them if they come across it.  Their name is Dwarven for "Rage prowler."

Ngorūgsusmats:  These bizarre creatures are mobile plants, which draw their prey in with beautiful flowers, and then strike when they least expect it.  They attack by spewing a sticky, web-like substance, before they move in and begin digesting their prey alive with their tendrils.  In addition to the 'web,' their digestive fluids also contain a neurotoxin that induces paralysis.  Luckily enough, they don't move very fast.  While the domestic variety is only as big as a kobold, wild ngorūgsusmats can grow to the size of an elephant.  Its name is Goblin for "Man-eater."

Orrunstingbol:  These noble creatures are something of a four-armed cross between a bear and a dog.  They are possessed of the ferocity and strength of a bear, and the loyalty and profile of a dog.  They move as fast as an Elf as well, and so are very useful in keeping the treacherous bastards out of your fortress.  The domestic orrunstingbol is the most common variety, however there also exist the "Great laze" breed, a fat and slow moving creature with fur like a panda's, and the "Keg bandit" breed, which is slower and larger than an orrunstingbol, but faster and smaller than a "Great laze."  It's name is Dwarven for "Barbarian's roar."

Nuralgeshud:  Perhaps the strangest denizen of the tropical lands is the nuralgeshud, or "Blind fortress."  These creatures resemble pangolins, yet they swing through the treetops throughout their lives.  In addition to this, they are completely blind, and maneuver by way of echolocation and a keen sense of smell.  Be wary, if these creatures catch a whiff of your booze, they'll head straight for the stockpile and beat off any Dwarves that get in their way!

Blood rays and blood maggots:  Flitting through the night air are the eerie, glistening red blood rays.  These creatures hunt insects, and have spinnerets to assist them in this endeavor.  As their name suggests, they strongly resemble manta rays and skates.  The young of these creatures are called blood maggots.  Blood maggots have a similar diet, and spin webs much like blood rays do.  They can also be milked, much like a purring maggot, however this milk's bright red coloration, combined with a very bizarre flavor, give it a more niche market, and thus it is much less valuable than Dwarven milk.

As you can see, this hasn't really gotten to its goal yet.  Eight creatures just isn't enough.  So, feel free to pitch ideas while I work on what I can.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 05:34:48 pm by Nonanonymous »

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New World: Beastiary project
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 12:20:30 am »

yetor
a special species of dwarf that closely resembles a sasquatch with white fur. lives in cold mountains and will eat anything that it can get its hands on! another feature of note are its horns which it can use to spear enemies through. resembles a very large dwarf and it is very aggressive. it will even attack elves without provocation! feared greatly by mountaineers and others.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 12:22:09 am by Dragooble »
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 12:36:01 am »

the current creatures could use more original names too, though perhaps a bit more referential.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 01:02:03 am »

Version 0.00.9 uploaded.

Currently lacks the blood rays, but I'll get on that a bit later.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 05:43:11 pm »

I'll be happy to contribute a few I've been making:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm good at making weird, unearthly yet mundane creatures :3

EDIT: Slight corrections I noted x2
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 06:44:16 pm by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 06:00:52 pm »

Heres one,

The long arm. A zombie like creature that is very powerfull. The longarm or Inidozi as its refered to in the human tongue is a very mysterious creature. Its speed and verocity make it a feared threat on the traveling road. It comes out only at night, where it goes in the day time no one knows, but its obvious it dosn't like light. Its slow speed makes it easy to run away from, but if you get to close it will strike. Its basically a human zombie with thick strong long arms with poisioned claws on the end that numb you when you get hit. Accounts from hunters and travelers who have survived an incounter with it have learned a small amount of information on the creature: It is very quiet and light on its feet dispite its slow speed. It seems to be able to see in the dark mutch like a goblin. It dosn't feel pain, even from the most mighty of blows.

:D The long-arm
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 06:43:34 pm »

More stuff.

And the body tokens
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 07:35:18 pm »

Its speed and verocity make it a feared threat on the traveling road.
Its slow speed makes it easy to run away from, but if you get to close it will strike.

Erm...  So is this thing fast, or slow?

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 08:38:30 pm »

eh, I thought I removed that part....Half way through typing it I decided it should be slow... It shouldnt be an unstopable fast killing machine, though it should still pose a threat. Its suppost to be slow.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 08:45:38 pm »

yo, make a gigantic flying serrated disk.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 08:50:21 pm »

Alright, version 0.01.0 is released now.

The fluff for some of the new creatures:  Dusk ray:  These bizarre creatures flit about and hunt vermin, and are both very curious and friendly.  These are almost as common as cats, and tend to perform admirably in what they do.

Burz:  These creatures are an all-purpose animal bred by goblins.  They resemble a gorilla in most respects, however they have scales rather than fur, and their face is lizard-like, aside from the boar-like tusks.  They make excellent guards, mounts, beasts of burden, and livestock, however they have intelligence comparable to that of an ogre, a fact which many consider unsettling enough to make them prefer the more familiar domestic creatures.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 11:46:57 pm »

Orrunstingbol:  These noble creatures are something of a four-armed cross between a bear and a dog.  They are possessed of the ferocity and strength of a bear, and the loyalty and profile of a dog.

Hmmmm, I am assuming you got this idea from Red Alert 3. Great game, the soviet attack bear is awesome.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 02:29:43 am »

The soviet attack bear? Wtf :).

Zard. These creatures were malevolent designs of some evil genius. THey look like a dinozaur-like creature with a huge lizard head, very short body, strong rear legs and a short tail. They have no front legs at all.
They vary in sizes and types. For example some of them are said to be able to breathe fire, other's bite is chilling and some are very poisonous.
(Looks like a big lizard head with a tail on 2 legs :)).

Poision zard. His bites bear stunning venom. size 6.
Fire zard. He spits fireballs. size 5.
Frost zard. He bites with COLD attack. size 6, layering 150.
Black zard. He is bigger (size 8 ), his bite paralyzes and he has a nice damblock (3).

Example:

P.S. Nonanonimous, "Переносить! Я не говорят по-русски! Ах нет!" Wtf did you try to write here? Random words sequence?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 02:49:38 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

DigitalSin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 04:42:16 am »

Heh. Heheheh. Adventure quest? My two cents worth, just so this reply isn't completly off topic, is that you should totally add a flying plant! That breathes fire.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 10:29:14 am »

Yeah, I had fun bashing those :).

Flying firebreathing venus plant would be cool :).

And a strangling wine, which consists of "limbs" only.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6