Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Legendary goblin  (Read 30352 times)

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary goblin
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2008, 02:19:31 pm »

You know, I think you'd be better off building a drowning room or magma hose or something similar to take care of this guy, rather than trying to trap or outright fight him. Seige engines probably aren't going to do it either -- if he has very high block he can deflect ballista bolts.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2008, 02:25:08 pm »

Use one very high quality giant steel battle axe (or highest power material you can get) in a weapon trap.  See if you can't  remove a limb or two to even the odds.

And for Armok's sake, record a movie next time!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2008, 02:56:16 pm »

Say, if he attacks again, check if that brown spine wound is still there.  You are going to keep playing right?  It's only fair if you take out the cage traps, so he has an honest chance of personally ending your fortress as a goblin lord should.  Then check Legends to see if your fortress' fall gets it's own title and numbers and such.  This is a great opportunity to experiment.

No any wounds I give him have disappeared next time he comes around. Including the unhealable ones.

Could you post the post-siege save, Fey? A lot of us would want to devise ingenious ways to kill that pesky gobbo.
Sure thing. Here it is: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=433. One thing you might want to know is that there is adamantine on that map somewhere, i think it is to the left of the Magma pipe.

And for Armok's sake, record a movie next time!
I tried last time, I recorded the whole thing but before I could save it I pressed the wrong key in the video menu and managed to to start a second recording overwriting the first.

I might take Aquizzar's advice and remove all traps in the inner keep. I really want to kill this goblin the old fashioned way or die trying.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2008, 03:11:16 pm »

Obviously the proper way to defeat him is for a dwarven child to take up an artifact adamantine short sword and face him in single combat, becoming a full grown dwarf in that instant and killing him in the name of his slain family...

But personally, I'd love to trap that guy somewhere and let him serve as an archery target for my crossbow dwarves.  How much cooler to practice shooting at some legendary goblin champion than some talc archery target.  And I think you go up faster in skill shooting at live targets, though I'm not sure if you have to hit them or not.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2008, 04:35:48 pm »

Pressing a legendary goblin into service as a extra-tough archery target would be exceedingly hilarious.
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

anyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2008, 06:34:28 pm »

Pressing a legendary goblin into service as a extra-tough archery target would be exceedingly hilarious.
Until your dwarves run out of bolts against his legendary shield use, and try to smash him with their crossbows.

Bluefire

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaves to Khorne
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2008, 07:44:57 pm »

You could place him in a tiny room accessed only by a locked door (and a trap on the way, just in case) that has a fortification facing your archery practice room\barracks\whatever. Strip him of anything but his shield and you marksdwarves will get plenty of experience without the "practice target" dying.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2008, 07:47:48 pm »

Until your dwarves run out of bolts against his legendary shield use, and try to smash him with their crossbows.

Which they will do without hestitation, despite the ammo stockpile three steps away.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2008, 08:35:42 pm »

My recomendation is to sic the demons on him. If he survives THAT, get the adamantine, make super weapons capable of destroying a dragon in one hit, and attacking him with THAT.
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2008, 09:58:02 pm »

"Horror! Stozu in the deep!"
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

wendigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2008, 11:35:46 pm »

Now THERE'S an elf I can respect, not to mention that she's a chick.

And therefore instantly do-able?  ;)

I'll ambush her fortress, if you know what I mean...

Im not sure that its a good idea to ambush a cannibal's "fortress"... ;D

Well, if she's from a goblin civ, you could disguise yourself as a child and try to get her to kidnap you.  Then instead of dismemberment she'd haul you back home and *cough cough* assimilate you.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2008, 02:02:11 am »

Traps are for weaklings!
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2008, 03:46:51 am »

can i get a copy of the world gen?

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2008, 06:06:39 am »

O.K that went badly. I will now tell the story of Stozu's second rampage through Playpapers.

The thumping of marching goblins could be heard well within the depths of Playpapers on that fateful day. It was the 17th of Limestone, our fortress was only just recovering from the previous goblin assault when a wave of goblins hit us for the second time in only months. As normal I ordered Marksdwarves to the wall, Warrior's to the gatehouse and civilians inside while the goblins began their assault. Our warriors consisted of three battle hardened champions (one of which was sleeping). All with legendary skills in wrestling and experts with the sword. These champions  had killed numerous goblins and even a dragon before, however they weren't prepared for what was coming to them.

Numerous goblins, hundreds I am told rushed these two champs. They withstood hit after hit, stabbing and killing every wrestler and pikewielder that came their way. They fought and killed two goblin sword masters sustaining not but an injury. However this fighting exhausted the champs and they were beginning to tire. This was their downfall. Because as soon as they became tired the goblin legend Stozu launched his attack. He faced of with Listast first, she was known as a dragon killer to dwarf kind. However the Listast was no match and with one swing of his Morningstar, Listast went flying, struck the wall and died. Next was Keb, who was not quite as experienced in the art of killing goblins but still with champion status. He was hit by a single morningstar blow before being killed. Both of my defending champions were dead. Stozu had a clear path to the fortress and took it. He ran straight towards the main Keep. Valiantly my fortress guard who were mostly brain damaged recruits ran out to defend the keep. Three were killed but their bravery had won the day. While Stozu was tied up with the guards my marksdwarves were raining a hail of bolts down on the remainder of his army. Eventually enough goblins were killed to force a goblin retreat. Stozu only steps away from the Keep turned and retreated back out the main gate and on to freedom.

There we go... a nice update to Stozu's story of death and destruction. My fortress is now completely devoid of all experienced military and open to further sieges thanks to the work of Stozu. I would have captured a video of the event but I accidentally stuffed up the save. Oh and another thing that you might find amusing is that if Stozu had made it to the Keep (literally three squares away) he would have been caught in cage trap. Hows that for irony?

Edit] Spelling mistakes and a few names around the wrong way.

Great story :) 718 kills!? Thats one badass goblin. I have never faced any goblin like that.

BTW what kind of name for a Dwarven Fortress is "Playpapers" anyway?

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2008, 12:16:21 pm »

Traps are for weaklings!
So's survival?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9