Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 49

Author Topic: Improved Farming  (Read 140781 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Farming
« Reply #675 on: August 30, 2010, 02:16:48 pm »

Currently, for example, every plant has a Growdur value, which few players understand anything about, but which doesn't really matter to the player playing the game, because all they see are "empty field", "plants growing" or "plants ready to harvest".  You will notice, however, that in order to track when that "growing" part should end, you had to use a potentially very largish variable that gradually incrimented... the same goes with hunger, which, again, goes into the hundreds of thousands.

I believe hunger and thirst cap out at 65535.  But yes.

Those uneducated farmers aren't designing the soil, they are merely using it.

Those uneducated farmers are caring for the soil - any uneducated farmer who ignores the quality of his soil will soon starve as he depletes it.  There is a reason crop rotations and the use of manure and fertilizer go back to the dawn of civilization.

Precisely.  If you're going to bitch about "players using the soil" then you need to compare to farmers "using the soil."  Just because it's far, far more advanced on the backend than the player ever needs to know about doesn't mean its not there.  If you track soil nutrients on the gram level, and a bag of fertilizer adds a kilogram over the area the player only knows that the single bag raised the nutrient level "not enough" then they need "another bag," not "oh, well that altered the soil fertility by 7.8 g/acre, and I need it to move 17.6 grams, so that means I need to add two and a quarter more bags...then add a cup of this, and two pounds of that..."

The interface only shows, to the player, on a scale of 1 to 10 how much of any given nutrient there is.  A single bag of lime over a 100 tile farm plot might not budge the acidity index at all (as far as the player can observe by designating only 1 bag) but what happened in the code was that it moved the acid from 480 up to 530 (both displaying a "5" to the player, as the integer counter measures hundredths).  A second bag gets used because "one wasn't enough" and voila: "6" achieved.

Hammurabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 30, 2010, 03:17:27 pm »

Exactly.  Its why we don't use 8 bit sound or color anymore.

Yet we still use 8-bit characters to represent everything in the game....

Back in 1971, Nolan Bushnell of Atari said, "All the best games are easy to learn, and difficult to master," a design philosophy now treated as instinctual by nearly every designer in the industry.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 30, 2010, 04:34:24 pm »

I believe hunger and thirst cap out at 65535.  But yes.

My mistake, then.  I remembered it being large, but I forgot how large, and didn't think it worth cracking open DFHack again to check.

Exactly.  Its why we don't use 8 bit sound or color anymore.

Yet we still use 8-bit characters to represent everything in the game....

Technically, we use graphics which have an arbitrary 256 array size for most objects simply because of the aesthetic choice to make the game look like an ASCII game.  Even that is extensible, however, as we can simply add graphics for specific creatures.  Basically, the graphics are just an arbitrary choice...

If you want to get hung up on what arbitrary number of bits we're using for one thing or another, you'll note that I'm only asking for 8 bits, myself, for each variable. 

(Plus, to be really anal about it, real ASCII is only 7-bit.  See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII )

But as has been mentioned earlier, we could transform this into whatever arbitrary bit-length datatype we wanted to make (meaning there's no point in making a number of levels not a power of two, unless we really want round numbers).  Again, we could make every tile of soil have unsigned 32-bit integers, and simply make the difference between "fair" and "poor" soil the difference between 2,500,000,000 and 3,250,000,000 Nitrogen, and the only real impact would be the amount of memory taken up.  (Adding 1 to 2,465,185,359 is just as easy for a computer as adding 1 to 2.)

The only question is when do we have no particular benefit for making the measurement more precise, and the costs in terms of memory start becoming more notable.  We have obvious benefit for making the measurement of soil nutrient levels more precise than "0 or 1" or even "0 to 3".  The only reason not to make it some absurdly large number is the worry of actually running out of memory, or making soil data take up some disproportionate amount of save data.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 03, 2010, 05:33:33 pm »

I'm just going to lean my personal thoughts in here, as totally overhashed as they probably are already.

Soil fertilization is okay.  I mean, it's in there already, might as well use it.  The way I see it, when you fertilize a tile, its fertilization gets set to 8, and that reduces every time a farmer plants something there.  Fertilization 0 = pretty poor production (as in, the player should be somewhat worried if they can't get any fertilizer).  Now, keeping fertilization simple gives these huge benefits:
- You never have to worry about moving your farms.  If you did, fertilization would = 0 again, so no benefit.
- Doesn't need hardly any more memory, since it only stores data for current farms (and maybe for tiles that had a farm in the last year).

I don't want farming to make me think more.  Farming should not be more difficult than it currently is in the early game (except for fertilizer)!

I agree completely that a *LARGE* part of your population should have to be farmers or in some way dark-brown-colored dwarves.  35% is a fine target for me.  If it's very much below that, IMO, something is wrong.  When you get new immigrants with farm skills, you should be very happy!  I guess that if you get highly skilled farmers and start taking advantage of great crops, you could reduce it a bit...let's say 25% minimum.

I would like to see farms take up a LOT of space.  Like a fair chunk of a cavern, enough that you really notice them when you scroll around.  Speed up planting, but greatly reduce yield (as long as we don't run out of seeds...though that ought to be a danger if you start a fort with no growing skill at all).  Herbalism needs an ENORMOUS nerf...it should be mostly useful for getting new seeds for new plants.  Not for supporting more than a small small handful of dwarves.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 03, 2010, 06:45:47 pm »

Mmmm... the problem with that is what I've been talking about for much of the last half of the thread.

I could go down a list of individual points I disagree with, but everything springs from one major point: the goal SHOULD be to make players think about farming.  Otherwise, everything about farming is just routine micromanagement.  That's just completely ignoring the entire goal of how we are changing gameplay.

What's the point in farming at all (or any industry at all) if all we are doing is making the player use up processor power to have some arbitrary number of dwarves doing an arbitrary number of tasks to feed the fortress if they never have to interact with it in any way?  It has to engage the player, and engage them in a way that involves real thought, not meaningless micromanagement.

I don't want to go into the entire argument over why having a 3-bit (well, actually 0 to 8 would be 4-bit) fertility system is a bad idea again, the last couple pages of posts are full of why we need something greater.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 03, 2010, 08:17:52 pm »

Is it okay if I don't want something greater, and I think it would detract from my enjoyment of the game?  My only beefs with farming as it stands right now is that it's A) too-high output for dwarf-hour investment, and B) takes up too little space.  The way it's implemented doesn't need micromanagement right now; reducing yield wouldn't increase micromanagement; and just about any of the other changes in this thread would increase micromanagement a lot as far as I can tell.  The main reason I mentioned fertilizer is that if you reduce yield enough, then fertilizer becomes something that more than 5% of players will ever use, and that's cool.  Just, you know, keep it automated.  With your alcohol industry, you can set up one still and put it on repeat, and it'll run at a more-or-less constant speed; if you need more, set up another still.  Same with fertilizer, just make one building and let your farmers deal with it as necessary instead of giving manual commands.

Hell, you could say that every dose of fertilizer brings the fertilizer setting up to 7, and you can tell it how low that number has to drop before refertilizing (if you don't have much fertilizer, you might set it to 2 or so; if you have tons and tons but need lots of food, you could set it at 5).  But again, you just customize it once and let it go, man.  For all I know, though, that's how it works already.  I don't use fertilizer.  Farms are too brokenly easy as is.

Farming's something that I want to have to plan my fort around, but not keep mucking with.  You decide where you want it, you have to commit space and labor to it, you do what you can to keep it safe.  It's the domain of the underclass.  It needs advance planning, but not constant attention.  I like planning; I don't like micro.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 08:32:13 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 03, 2010, 11:18:24 pm »

Is it okay if I don't want something greater, and I think it would detract from my enjoyment of the game?

Well, I have to say that a lack of any sort of resource management mechanics is detracting from my enjoyment of the game, however, from what you say later on in this thread, I think you are misunderstanding what I am proposing.

My only beefs with farming as it stands right now is that it's A) too-high output for dwarf-hour investment, and B) takes up too little space.

Again, I'll quote myself on why this is just not adequate:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The way it's implemented doesn't need micromanagement right now; reducing yield wouldn't increase micromanagement; and just about any of the other changes in this thread would increase micromanagement a lot as far as I can tell.

Farming's something that I want to have to plan my fort around, but not keep mucking with.  You decide where you want it, you have to commit space and labor to it, you do what you can to keep it safe.  It's the domain of the underclass.  It needs advance planning, but not constant attention.  I like planning; I don't like micro.

So tell me what that micromanagement is, specifically, in this system. 

I am trying to work this system down to automate virtually everything that will just be a grind, but the current system is far too shallow, and if we are to make this game serious about not simply handing out infinite amounts of resources, this is where it has to start.  I want to make the player make real decisions, not merely press the "fertilize" button over and over again, so I want there to be plenty of automation, but there has to be something else in there that makes the player have to care about his farms, because when we start having trees grow on farms, alchemical reagents grow on farms, and frankly, potentially anything that isn't a rock or metal or gem grow on farms, then it needs to make a player stop and consider how he's going to allocate a limited set of resources to growing the resources that will run his fort.

Since I'm a little tired, I'll just quote myself again on this general topic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So again, if you find something in this that is simply routine button-pushing, tell me what you think it is, and I will try to automate it, but that doesn't mean we need to keep the farming system so dumbed down that it renders the game completely unable to model prioritzation of needs or making players consider costs versus benefits of certain actions because we're afraid of making something better if it takes some player thought.  Making the player think about whether he wants to pay the price for getting something he wants, or forcing the player to pay back what he takes out of the land are hardly negative things.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 05, 2010, 12:44:00 am »

So tell me what that micromanagement is, specifically, in this system. 

Micromanagement, as opposed to planning, is actions that only maintain a person's strategic position, instead of advancing it. Busy work tends to feel like imposing on someone else's time. Just to help define useless button-pushing.

The resources a player can allocate are the dwarves. Currently they are not precious enough, being overabundant to the point where people become annoyed at the volume and start killing them off.

I'de like to see some plant variety, and I think that the key to decision making is going to be matching plants with environments. So some work has to go into making rocks somehow contribute to crop yield. Maybe a particular plant gets a plus to stack size when it grows on it's favorite rock types, gets a minus to stack size on it's hated rocks, and yields normal stacks everywhere else. This process could become even more detailed by having minor/major bonuses so that there's five levels of stack size bonus, defining the relationship between each plant and every rock type. It's going to add to the raws though.

It also opens the door to a new process: Moving earth. It might be desirable to transport boulders of a given soil type to a designated farming region, and then crush them into mud.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 03:56:03 am by AngleWyrm »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 05, 2010, 01:04:53 pm »

The resources a player can allocate are the dwarves. Currently they are not precious enough, being overabundant to the point where people become annoyed at the volume and start killing them off.

Which is why I avoid the easy answer of "just add more dwarves".  This is why I talk about using other resources as a means of limiting the options of players, so that not everything is just a reflexive "add more farm plots or dwarves".  That doesn't mean what I'm doing is micromanagement, however. Find the micromanagement in what I'm actually doing.

I'de like to see some plant variety, and I think that the key to decision making is going to be matching plants with environments. So some work has to go into making rocks somehow contribute to crop yield. Maybe a particular plant gets a plus to stack size when it grows on it's favorite rock types, gets a minus to stack size on it's hated rocks, and yields normal stacks everywhere else. This process could become even more detailed by having minor/major bonuses so that there's five levels of stack size bonus, defining the relationship between each plant and every rock type. It's going to add to the raws though.

It also opens the door to a new process: Moving earth. It might be desirable to transport boulders of a given soil type to a designated farming region, and then crush them into mud.

There's no reason to make this particular to any given rock, especially if the mechanic is to get players to want to care about and build soil.  What we need are environmental conditions that differentiate what plants grow where, such as biomes in general or direct temperature and drainage issues if we want to be particular.

What rock the soil starts out on top of makes almost no difference in the long-term.  The soil that plants need is the soil that farmers have built.

It also makes for a very bizzare and silly game mechanic if you have to discriminate against where you build your farms based upon selecting the right rock.  As for breaking down rocks into gravel that can be used as slow-release fertilizer, then I've already talked about that subject on several occasions.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 05, 2010, 07:05:28 pm »

The mechanic of just add more [resource] until an ideal condition is achieved applies to every kind of resource, whether it is dwarves, or some pH adjusting soil additive, or anything else. It's the nature of a resource. A precious resource with several possible uses is a different story, because then there's a choice. For instance I had to choose what to forge next with my slowly arriving steel bars.

If you don't like the game mechanic of matching plants to environments, then I suggest you come up with a mechanic that involves some genuine play. Instead of just saying 'something to think about,' be specific about what the player will decide.

As far as dull button-pushing is concerned: adding a soil additive, then waiting for some timer to expire, then adding more additive, then waiting for a timer to expire -- micromanagement. Left the world of game and entered the world of marginally interactive simulation.

Also, do you want all plants on an embark to be from the same ecosystem? Rock is the most obvious and visible part of the ecosystem, and comes in a variety of types.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 05:28:19 am by AngleWyrm »

AxiumCog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 06, 2010, 05:21:02 am »

Id like to offer my two cents on the matter.

First off I have not read all 40-some-odd pages on the subject, but Ive read most of the main ideas.

What I keep seeing suggested fall into two basic categories:
1. Add lots of Micromanagement
2. Add lots of clock time keeping track of lots of extra conditions

I strongly agree that the entire farming system needs an overhaul. When I can manage to feed and booze 200 dwarfs and still manage to export 5k or more in food and booze every time a caravan rolls around, something is seriously wrong. However making the game tedious to the player is not the answer. Yes a challenge is necessary, but no one plays to work. The game is already fishy as can be as far as RAM requirements. Adding more things that have to be kept track of does not make me warm and fuzzy.

My suggested approach is a numbers and ratios game as has been suggested in several different spots so far. One thing in particular I want to point out is that the estimates of required acreage to feed a person is WAY too high. My grandparents and great grandparents fed their families of 4 and 5 respectively off of vegetable gardens of 250 sq/ft or so. They ate WELL and managed to store away so many extras they sold it to other townsfolk. Keep in mind theyre human. Dwarfies are 4 feet tall.

I suggest three things.

1. A 10x10 plot would feed and booze 20 dwarfs a season. Essentially, its 5 squares per dwarf per season for food and drink. So for your pop of 200 youd need 10 full-sized plots running continuously to feed them the staples. More fields will be needed once they start getting picky.
2. Change the growing durations for the plants to be seasonal, not the monthly-ish it is now, and adjust stack sizes to accommodate. The basic shrooms would have a fairly high yield in order for the 5 squares to meet the proper requirements.
3. Working a square of field entails digging a furrow first, then getting the seed, and then requires it to be watered once by hand(bucket) which the farmer would do automatically as part of the planting process.

These changes, without any other complicated modifications will have a number of benefits to the system.
* The growing period changes cause there to be massive planting and harvesting periods which can strain processing facilities and haulers. It also fits better with the reality of farming. You dont plant one day and then 4 weeks later harvest the goods.
* The furrowing/watering slows down their planting speeds, causing less downtime which in turn increases the number of farmers necessary to manage the fields.
* The 20/10x10 makes for a meager sustenance for the dwarfies, meaning theyre kinda like college students with ramen noodles and peanut butter sandwiches. To get better meals requires more work and more fields. This one is the hardest to implement, since the yields have to be balanced to the nutritional needs of the dwarves. Even so, Im not asking for the moon.

So there ya have my two cents. Comment, praise, or rip it apart as you must.

Strike the Earth!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 05:25:09 am by AxiumCog »

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 06, 2010, 05:39:37 am »

My favorite part of this suggestion is increasing growing time to be seasonal instead of the current 2~3 harvests per season. It would cut down productivity by a factor of approximately 2~3.

The furrowing and watering could easily be abstracted away by simply increasing the amount of time it takes a grower to plant a seed. Then it still makes sense to have several growers work on getting the seeds down in time -- before the crop growing cycle exceeds the time remaining in the season.

And like most folks, I'm in favor of a substantial increase in the amount of farm plot necessary to support a dwarf. It seems likely that it will require an increase in dwarven food consumption in order to really do it right. Like maybe instead of eating one meal every six weeks, they eat six meals once every six weeks.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 05:49:57 am by AngleWyrm »

AxiumCog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 06, 2010, 05:46:51 am »

The furrowing essentially double penalizes you for not storing seed close by, as the dwarf has to go to the plot before grabbing the seed. So if your store is far away he walks it twice before he even drops a seed and then he still has to fetch water.

Essentially this encourages good planning of your farming industry

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 06, 2010, 07:25:40 am »

Unfortunately the wiki does not go into any detail on stack sizes or modifiers for farming skill, in either the Grower page or the Farming page.

If dwarven consumption is increased to a meal/week + 2 drinks/week, a dwarf would consume 156 crops/year. If a typical stack size is guestimated at five, and harvesting is reduced to only four harvests/year, then each tile produces 20 crops/year. That gives 7.8 tiles of crop per dwarf. A maximum sized 10x10 plot would then feed/booze about 13 dwarves, a 5x5 plot would nourish 2 dwarves, and a 3x3 plot would take care of one dwarf.

Assuming the stack size is near five.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:44:02 am by AngleWyrm »

AxiumCog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 06, 2010, 04:08:36 pm »

that alone would make things more reasonable imho

good job on those numbers man
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 49