Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 49

Author Topic: Improved Farming  (Read 140745 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Farming
« Reply #630 on: August 20, 2010, 05:00:19 pm »

Oh, and I don't want to understate the impact that a large water requirement can have on the "Energy Mechanic" style of farm dependency.  Especially if farms become larger, and may require multi-level farming, with large cisterns that need constant refilling to supply the water needs of the farms.

Embarking on glaciers would then be VERY difficult to survive in - pretty much only underground crops would even be available, and you would have to hunt for dead stuff to supply the biomass for your underground farms.  Deserts would likewise be challenging without some kind of aquifer. 

Perhaps requiring tweaking of cavern water supply so that you don't quite get so much water from an infinite source to make these geographical extremes more meaningful.  The same can be said for aquifers and brooks - the infinite water sources should have more meaningful limitations on how much water they can supply per unit time.

They have been around from the beginning, and I never got around to the local variations in the landscape that I'd need to get a better distribution of differently-sized small features.  We might see something on this with underbrush (which is up in the first category on the dev page with the other things I've been working on), since I wanted to mix tree/brush density up within a given world map square, though soil information might have to come first for that to be satisfying.  Another obstacle is having new moist tiles or tiles with some water without having them having floors on a different Z level.  Brooks are currently handled that way.  I don't like the idea of having 3/7 water a Z level down, although a lot of the streams should probably connect up with the aquifer.  This would make fewer places inhabitable by digging creatures unless the stream were smoothly lowered a bit, but I'm not for turning them into rivers with less water in them since that introduces problems with connecting rivers (would all 3/7 rivers connect to 7/7 rivers in waterfalls?  Otherwise you'd have reverse waterfalls, or you'd have to introduce a 4/7 ground square, which feels like a can of worms) and people walking across a brook should not be in a separate Z level with respect to projectiles/LOS, etc.  People swimming on the surface of a river should probably also be vulnerable to archers, but having an ankle-high brook hide you is worse.

Hey Toady, wouldn't it be physically accurate to keep the brook surface tile and make the "body" of the brook a localized aquifer rather than 7/7 water?  Units can still walk on it, it's still a source of water, nothing can swim or live in it, and the best part is that there'd be no flow calculations so brook sites would be great for FPS.

Random revisiting, perhaps, but upon reflection, I really like this solution.

Digging into a "local aquifer" would produce a tile that constantly fills up with water (that can be diverted and fed into cisterns), but perhaps not at a terrifically fast rate.  Digging through a brook tile that is "only enough tile to get your boot wet" should still create a pit that EVENTUALLY will fill up with water.

It might need some tweaking of the aquifer code, however, so that there is only so much water that the entire "aquifer" can produce per unit time even if you dig into it, and that it still has an "upriver" section that has priority for filling with water before the "downriver" sections fill up with water.

Silverionmox's comment about ramps only allowing 4/7 or 3/7 water also makes perfect sense, of course.

Perhaps having coding with brooks (and rivers) that make areas have Spring and Summer floods when brooks are based off of mountains, when the snowpack melts annually would also make for some lovely verisimilartude.

There's also the way that manure gets handled - This from Toady (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/cuvnl/tarn_adams_creator_of_dwarf_fortress_his_response/):
I like fertilizer, animal tracking and sewers. I dislike potty breaks. This is an example of realism that I think has a lot of potential for trouble. Potty breaks in adventure mode might be realistic, but there are immersion issues there. He he he, I mean in the sense of the player being kicked out of their groove. The other kind of immersion wouldn't be so bad, because sewers are common adventure environments. In dwarf mode, dwarves already take a lot of time out for self-maintenance, and this would be a more senseless kind, compared to something like eating.

Which is why I hope Toady can be convinced that we can keep the same general amount of "breaks", (possibly just taking it straight out of drinking breaks, the ratio is 8 eating, 18 drinking, and 8 sleeping) but add in something like 2 trips to the restroom for dwarves a year for the purposes of resupplying fertilizer, plus having all animals supply manure for some kind of lucky sanitation worker. 

This would mean that in addition to aquaducts to feed the irrigation, we'd also need sewers to move the waste to the fertilizer collection, composting, and distribution center.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 20, 2010, 05:17:33 pm »

Adding manute doesn't necessary mean implementing the whole Feces Arc. Toady can pretty much add livestock manure and not add peoples' poo-poo.

I don't even know why I'm writing this.  ::)
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 20, 2010, 05:32:05 pm »

Yeah, but dwarves are creatures, too... Not that it wouldn't be a little bizzare if dwarves just let it go when they had to go like livestock would.  (Although, they already do that with vomit and cave adaptation...)

At the least, it could be like a bed - you could make a proper toilet that connects to the sewers, or a chamber pot that requires a collection service, and dwarves just use it if it's available.  That wouldn't be TOO tall an order. 

It's just a matter of making it not mean dwarves take more random breaks, so if you just whittle down some other needs a little, and don't make dwarves need to do it too often, you could cram it in without too much trouble.

Besides, the problem with only making animals produce manure is that you then have to use animals to provide the fertilizer - if livestock produce fertilizer and consume food, while dwarves also produce live-stock and consume food, then it's sort of a trade-off to have the livestock.  If only livestock produce fertilizer, and that fertilizer is a major component of your maintaining your fertility, you would be forced to always ranch, and the ratio of animals to dwarves would be a major portion of keeping your fortress fed.  That's not really the sort of consequence I'm looking to cause.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 20, 2010, 06:07:42 pm »

We could also import fertiliser from caravans. Economies have been built on less.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 20, 2010, 06:22:14 pm »

We could also import fertiliser from caravans. Economies have been built on less.

... I can't help but get a mental image...

Urist McSon: "Father! Father! Come quick!  The poo merchants have come!"

While we often import raw materials in this game, I think at that point, it might be better to just buy the food or livestock than import the dirt to grow it in.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 20, 2010, 07:49:18 pm »

Now I would very much support a product cycle that took animal waste -> fertilizer and water needs firmly into account! But then, in terms of resource management, that would be the lion's share of the challenge and screwing with soil chemistry would just be a bit of window dressing.

Deserts and glaciers should definitely be very hard to get a fort established in. (Though a small ice-fort should be able to survive by hunting and fishing... sort of.) On the other hand dwarves should not be morons and seek to mass-emigrate to fortresses in inhospitable areas. You'd have to go the extra mile to get dwarves to come over, I'd think.

Dwarven waste could probably be discreetly added to a stockpile with the animal waste, without having them do the potty-break thing. Could go either way on implementing loos tho.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 21, 2010, 01:28:06 am »

Quote from: AngleWyrm
My two cents is start with a 200-dwarf fortress:
1. How much farmland will it take to support it?
2. How many farmers/workers will be required to maintain it?

If you read dev_now and the latest Toady's answers from FotF (linked above), you can see that he's already thought about the space/dwarfpower a fortress would require for farming. 2/3 of population need to be farmers. You can either import food from outside and thus have less farmers, or you can grow your food all by your own in which case you need to dedicate 2/3 of population to farming.

Sounds about right  ::)

Yes, this is one of the things that somewhat troubles me about Toady's recent statements...

It means implies he's thinking in the same terms as the start of this thread - that the problem is that farming takes too little space or too little people, and not that the problem is that farming takes too little player decision time, or that food is simply an unlimited resource where the only function players need to think about is the proper ratio of farmers to non-farmers.

I for one hope that he is thinking exactly that. Resolve the food overabundance by reducing the per-tile farm productivity until an acceptable ratio of farmers & land-to-others is achieved. Having 137 farmers/brewers/cooks in a 200-dwarf fortress, all struggling at skill-10 to just barely produce enough food for everyone. It might involve reducing the output of the individual farmer, so that a pleasing plot size can be selected. And it could be done fairly simply by increasing the time it takes to plant and reducing the crop yield bonuses of farming.

I like the idea of additional detail, that would ramp up crop yeilds based on some player interaction/knowledge. But I'de like it to be additional fun stuff, rather than a necessary slog. Maybe by spending time applying pH adjusters and additional nutrients, the number of farmers needed is effectively reduced because of an abundance of crops. So the skilled player gets more mileage out of his staff, whereas the beginner can get by wastefully.

P.S. Also, another OT vote for much smaller migration waves. Like maybe 1~4 migrants.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 01:54:27 am by AngleWyrm »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 21, 2010, 02:13:19 pm »

Now I would very much support a product cycle that took animal waste -> fertilizer and water needs firmly into account! But then, in terms of resource management, that would be the lion's share of the challenge and screwing with soil chemistry would just be a bit of window dressing.

Yes, the more work gets done on this, the more it moves away from focusing on soil chemisty.  That's not really a bad thing, though, since you can just consider some of the other ways in which this game is detailed/complicated - metals and stones (and wood and bone) now have attributes that make them more or less suited for certain tasks than others.  This requires a slew of complex statistics (many of which don't seem to have any purpose yet), but which don't really matter to the player - all that really matters is that different materials are better or worse for different purposes. 

If we are going to make fertility management (and fertilizer and water management) the focus, then we need ways of making fertilizers different from each other, and that requires having different stats for them all... (And keep in mind that real-life manure has different qualities, based upon the animal and its diet... rabbit and avian manure are more valuable than cow manure, and free-range grazing cattle have worse manure than dairy cattle that are fed grains... theoretically, we might even go the EXTRA extra mile and stat out the values of every creature's manure.   How would THAT be for a tagline?  "Dwarf Fortress - We optimize our bodily waste!")

Anyway, back on track, the purpose of soil chemistry was never to force micromanagement, but rather to force the player to have to balance the system out, so that things are not QUITE as simple as "designate farm, get food".  We don't have to force the player to mess with specific phosphorus rates, we just need to give the player a mechanic whereby phosphorus, even if invisible, plays a part in how one has to pay upkeep on their fortress.  You can see that in the differences of how the nutrients really play out:

Nitrogen: Runs out fast, but can be replinished easily.  Nitrogen-fixation cover crops are easy ways to replace this, but are useless except for grazers.  Nitrogen-fixation food crops (like beans or peanuts) are lower-producers, and restore less nitrogen, but you get some nitrogen back, anyway, and you're still getting more food out overall.  Nitrogen comes in most fertilizers (so you can avoid serious crop rotation), but nitrogen-heavy fertilizers, especially Urea, can acidify soil, forcing even more dependance upon adding stuff to the soil.  (In Real Life (IRL) - Nitrogen is technically the nutrient that encourages growth, especially leafy growth.  Overmuch burns the leaves, and can cause the plant to focus more on growing leaves than fruit.)

Phosphorus: Depletes somewhat slowly, but is difficult to replace.  Biological waste (manure) gives you a spread of all three of NPK, but only some kinds of manure are really high in Phosphorus.  No crop rotation method really adds more P to the soil, either, so you pretty much have to add something to the soil as a fertilizer to replace P depletion.  Bone Meal is higher in P than other types of biological fertilizer (but also contains N and K), and the only other ways of artificially adding P in any serious quantity is through mining out P-containing sediment (good ones are not common), and then breaking up the stone.  (IRL - This is the nutrient you want in as high a quantity as you can get - it's what helps contribute to the size of fruits.)

Potassium: Common in soil, and slow to deplete, but also slow to raise.  You probably shouldn't need to go out of your way to replenish K too often.  Most manures have plenty K, even if composted first, so just keeping up a regular manure schedule should keep K from being a problem.  This should only become a problem if you go for intensive nitrogen fertilization rather than crop rotations, letting K gradually decline.  K is slow to deplete, but once depleted, takes years to replinish. Potash is pretty much the most refined form of Potassium dwarves can make, but it might be better to just compost the whole tree for a broader spread of nutrients than burn it down just to get the pure potassium unless you are desperate for rebuilding K in the soil.  Keep in mind that now, we can grow trees on our farms. It's kind of silly to chop down and burn trees for the ability to grow more trees.  Especially if regular soil has nutrient depletion, and repeatedly chopping down trees can lead to eventually causing the untilled soil to deplete, as well, and you run out of wild trees to cut down.  (IRL - You need as much if not more of it in the soil as nitrogen, but it tends to bind to the soil instead of being as freely water-soluble as nitrogen is, so it depleates at 1/10th the rate of Nitrogen.  This element is critical in root growth, and disease prevention.) 

pH: Like Potassium, this shouldn't move around too much.  It's mainly a problem when first starting a farm, when trying to change from one set of crops to another, or if you use acidifying fertilizers for a fair period of time.  This should be slow to change in general, taking a full year to change + or - 1 pH.  Most real life crops grow around 6.0 to 6.8 pH.  Alkaline (7.0 to 8.0) crops tend to be "desert" crops that prefer low-water environments.  Alkaline soil prevents some nutrients from being available to crops.  Highly acidic soil (4.5 to 6.0 pH) are the sorts of things you see in extremely rainy areas.  Acidic soils tend to hurt crops, but can wind up being better suited for some crops, because the weeds that would choke them out are less tolerant of the acid (and the higher content of iron and other elements) than the crops are.  Soil acidity is changed by liming the soil (with limestone or chalk) or by using elemental sulfur (brimstone).

Water: It's water.  Plants need it, obviously.  They need lots of it.  Plants that are suited for dryer soils have to make do with a lower amount of sugars, and tend to be either less nutritious or just plain slower growing than plants that guzzle water.  This means that your water supply can determine whether you are tilling a broad area to make use of slower-growing or less-nutritious crops that take less water (and labor per tile) or concentrated farmland that take plenty of water.

Biomass: This is undecomposed stuff mainly for underground fungi to grow off of.  Aboveground, this goes up and down pretty freely, depending on how much of the plant gets tilled back into the soil.  While fallow, it depletes naturally as soil bacteria decompose it into nutrients, and plants can become vulnerable to diseases if this gets too high, while others prefer a thicker layer of humus.  Underground, however, this is more important, and represents the need to constantly supply underground farms with more energy in the absence of photosynthesis.  This requires plenty of dead stuff being added to underground farms.  For fully subterranean civs, it might force that magma farming I mentioned earlier as a way of growing some chemosynthetic life to use to decompose for biomass.

There's also the things I talked about with needing to potentially clean air or generate light underground being solved with farmable underground molds that generate oxygen or can glow... these would also require access to the same watering and soil chemistry needs as other plants, forcing a choice as to where to put your resources.

Again, simply making the numbers the right numbers for one field for one crop isn't supposed to be the game.  It's making players take a look at what they can use as resources to fertilize their fields, and trying to work out what combination of crops and systems for irrigation or fertilization or other aspects they can use to make the most of whatever resources they have in shortest supply.

Deserts and glaciers should definitely be very hard to get a fort established in. (Though a small ice-fort should be able to survive by hunting and fishing... sort of.) On the other hand dwarves should not be morons and seek to mass-emigrate to fortresses in inhospitable areas. You'd have to go the extra mile to get dwarves to come over, I'd think.

Yes, I've long supported a throttle on immigration, just a percentage multiplier, so that you can cut immigration to 10% normal or 5% normal or something like that.

Dwarven waste could probably be discreetly added to a stockpile with the animal waste, without having them do the potty-break thing. Could go either way on implementing loos tho.

Heh, teleporting the waste to the stockpiles or sewers seems to break some of the core realisms of the game, although it might be a nice way of not dealing with the grittier details.

I for one hope that he is thinking exactly that. Resolve the food overabundance by reducing the per-tile farm productivity until an acceptable ratio of farmers & land-to-others is achieved. Having 137 farmers/brewers/cooks in a 200-dwarf fortress, all struggling at skill-10 to just barely produce enough food for everyone. It might involve reducing the output of the individual farmer, so that a pleasing plot size can be selected. And it could be done fairly simply by increasing the time it takes to plant and reducing the crop yield bonuses of farming.

Like I've said before, expanding farm size and labor requirements isn't really a solution to making farming a better, more interesting system, it just means that more of your map needs to be cleared away for farming, and that you need more farmers.  That isn't to say that we shouldn't make it a more land and labor intensive process, but that land and labor alone aren't a solution, as the problem is a lack of complexity and hence, diversity and a need to plan in farming.

I like the idea of additional detail, that would ramp up crop yeilds based on some player interaction/knowledge. But I'de like it to be additional fun stuff, rather than a necessary slog. Maybe by spending time applying pH adjusters and additional nutrients, the number of farmers needed is effectively reduced because of an abundance of crops. So the skilled player gets more mileage out of his staff, whereas the beginner can get by wastefully.

Actually, this is supposed to be part of the system... If we force farming to be more dependant upon either adding something to the soil or by careful crop rotation and resource management so that you can get by on just the manure, then we can make the entire need to feed your people be a scalable difficulty.

Your starting seven can waste as much as they want to - just chop down trees, and grow plump helmets on the logs after you muddy some dirt!  Easy!  You just have to take some external resources that are finite in amount. 

As your fortress gets larger, however, if you have to depend upon cutting down trees to feed your mushrooms, then you're going to run out of trees.  You have to work with less fertilizer, and have to stretch your resources out more just because it's finite.  You need to rely more and more on the manure you can get in a scalable amount from your dwarves and your livestock.

If water has a more meaningful finite nature, as cavern water supplies and brooks and the like are less useful supplies of water, then you can waste as much water as you want early on... but as your farms get bigger, you need to take the same finite supply of water, and feed more crops with it.

If you rely upon just using readily-built-up soils from soil layers, then as you expand, you have to start using less and less desirable stone types, and break them and build the soil on them to make them useful as you expand your farms, increasing the overall amount of work it takes to set up any given farm.  (And as you have to expand it, your aquaducts have to move more water further through the fortress... plus you'll have the sewers to build around, as well.)

Then there's the problem of pests.  They're meant to be a way of forcing crop diversity, by making crops more vulnerable to pests the more that you rely upon them.  This forces the player to reach out to perhaps less desirable crops than they would at first reach for as their fortress starts up.

Basically, the longer you go on, the larger the farm, the harder and more complex it gets.  This is the scalable, end-game-is-harder-than-setting-up mechanic that was discussed back around page 31 that set this whole thing in motion... and you just can't do this without some sort of complex background mechanic in place.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 21, 2010, 04:09:07 pm »

We currently have a system of adding potash to farming plots, in order to increase yield. It doesn't work; the farmers don't take the potash that is in storage and use it on the fields. We also have a system for letting fields lay fallow. i don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure it also doesn't work. By work, I mean increasing the annual yield by leaving the plot empty for a season. I think these two systems need to be debugged.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 21, 2010, 04:26:23 pm »

Well, "Fallow" doesn't work to increase crop yield because right now "fallow" is the "don't plant anything" button.  (Or in other words, it's not a bug, it's a feature.) 

Not really related to anything, but I'm pretty seriously considering Nil's suggestion of just making another thread, if only as a summary right now, though. 

I'm not particularly fond of the idea, as my ideas on the farming thread are obviously not static, and every new argument forces me to reconsider something.  Having to write out something, then update an index page isn't particularly efficient... But on the other hand, the only person I'm absolutely certain has read this whole thread is Draco18s, and a couple other people.  (And it's been months since I've read most of this thread.)  Having to explain what I'm doing helps make me reanalyze what I've been writing, and I've gained some benefit for it, but there have just plain been too many misunderstandings and arguments, here.

I'm also thinking about the way that water gets supplied to a given area, especially in light of how Toady has been modifying brooks and waterways so that humans can survive on them (if only temporarily).  I want to revisit that whole "rainfall agriculture", plus brook water supply, plus aquifer water supply, and cavern watersupply.

One other thing I've been thinking about is making long-term ecological harm possible.  Basically, rather than saving data for your farm as part of the farm tile, it would be part of the data of an "object" in the tiles that are being tracked.  That is to say, the "mud item" in a tile will track the soil fertility itself, rather than a farm "building" or information on a floor itself.  Soil fertility on the tops of soil layers can be tracked by simply adding another "soil item" on top of soil that has data to track.  This way, if you repeatedly cut down trees or magma flood soil or something, it can have lasting impacts, and cavern mud can be depleted, and surface soil can erode or the like.

This can go hand-in-hand with making water sources have trackable nutrient levels of their own, so that flooding (and muddying) the land will have more complex effects on soil chemistry than just adding a "muddy" contaminant, but will instead add a mud/soil item that has nutrient data with it.  (Keeping in mind that this sort of silt buildup is supposed to be gradual, not an instant "as soon as stone gets damp, it's growing time!")

Urgh, this is probably why I need a summary thread, my thoughts are all over the place, aren't they?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 21, 2010, 05:33:02 pm »

One other thing I've been thinking about is making long-term ecological harm possible.  Basically, rather than saving data for your farm as part of the farm tile, it would be part of the data of an "object" in the tiles that are being tracked.  That is to say, the "mud item" in a tile will track the soil fertility itself, rather than a farm "building" or information on a floor itself.  Soil fertility on the tops of soil layers can be tracked by simply adding another "soil item" on top of soil that has data to track.  This way, if you repeatedly cut down trees or magma flood soil or something, it can have lasting impacts, and cavern mud can be depleted, and surface soil can erode or the like.

Maybe... but, the dwarf fortresses have 200 or so dwarves, tops, for let's say 20 years (which is longer than most fortresses are played - I've only ever gone up to 15 years with a large fort). You can imagine it as a microcosm of a larger community, but that sort of thing's really really open to interpretation. A 200-dwarf community would be less of a threat to nature, and more threatened by nature.

(I don't really like the current perma-overfishing/overhunting mechanics for that reason, I see these city sites as islands of civilization in a threatening wilderness and they aren't large or powerful enough to affect the ecosystem unless of course magma is involved :D )

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 21, 2010, 07:28:15 pm »

Only four tiles out of this 5x5 plot are planted, and it appears that one dry tile is blocking all the rest of the tiles from being planted. This ought to be fixed.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 21, 2010, 09:59:21 pm »

Only four tiles out of this 5x5 plot are planted, and it appears that one dry tile is blocking all the rest of the tiles from being planted. This ought to be fixed.

That is a bug and needs to be reported as such and has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 21, 2010, 10:12:58 pm »

Oh I disagree. The topic at hand is improving farming, and currently farming has several important features broken. Piling New and Improved on top of broken is not really such a good idea. Once the broken stuff (dry tiles cutting down production, potash fertilizer not working, overabundance of crop yeilds) gets some much needed care and feeding, then things can be properly added. Like fallow ground replenishing the next season's crop yield, or crop rotations improving the harvest.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 10:35:29 pm by AngleWyrm »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 21, 2010, 10:48:50 pm »

We aren't so much "adding" something as we are "completely scrapping the system we have now".  Trust me, we'll have all kinds of bugs you never dreamed of as soon as this stuff goes in, much like all the fun we have been having with the military since 2010.

If what I've been saying becomes reality, that would simply be a single tile that lacks irrigation and has unusually poor nutrient levels, it wouldn't stop the entire farm from working, especially if Toady stops treating farms as buildings, and makes them zones, which is what he implied he was thinking of doing.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 49