Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349315 times)

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #840 on: December 09, 2008, 06:23:21 am »

I want to make a monster with bones made of dwarf bones and meat made of dwarf meat

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #841 on: December 09, 2008, 06:33:29 am »

So does this mean a sweet pod syrup dwarf would be cooked upon death or buried or buried then exhumed and cooked?

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: December 09, 2008, 06:39:08 am »

So does this mean a sweet pod syrup dwarf would be cooked upon death or buried or buried then exhumed and cooked?

...That will make way for an awesome version of "Hansel and Gretel" in DF.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #843 on: December 09, 2008, 06:50:47 am »

Damn, after only 6 years in development df might be able to sim "Hansel and Gretel". Aren't computers amazing?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: December 09, 2008, 08:22:12 am »

Let me Quote the dev-log for all guys who think the Progress is to slow:

dev log form 12/03/2008

Now we are at the last 9 elements of the slow patch, which is really just a pile of small changes that were originally in 9 categories but have become something more loose than that. I'll decrease the countdown as I clear the list in ninths, rather than instituting a sub-countdown of 556 which is a larger looking number

(highlighting from heph)

If toady does one of this 9 categories a day he does around 60 things.

Anyway thanks for all the work toady and for answering the questions.

Will you go over the decoration code (Bloat2, MORE ITEM IMPROVEMENTS) while you are at the Material anyway?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 08:41:19 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: December 09, 2008, 08:42:33 am »

There is still some reliance on item type in the jobs -- so a jeweler is looking for a rough "boulder" type item for gem cutting.  In the same way, the leather working could make the skin into an extravagant leather, even though tanning shouldn't really work at all.  You'll be able to melt down any "metal" class object, which would include the bones of a creature that happen to be metal.  The boneworker will be able to work them (again relying on the "bones" item type), even though that's a bit weird given that the material isn't actually bone.  It's all a work in progress as usual.  I imagine in the future (way after this release), it'll treat some of these scenarios more rationally, but in general, yeah, you'll be able to do more things than before.

This is pure awesomeness.  8)

This is getting complicated.  ;D I guess if the creature is made out of sweet pod syrup, you should be able to cook it. Hm this is kinda nonsensical but ah well... :D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 08:46:00 am by Tormy »

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #846 on: December 09, 2008, 10:37:40 am »

These changes are surprising me. It looks like I'll finally be able to make my lumani, with accurate feathering and such. I can't wait to take a look at the new raw files.

Will we be able to set the new materials as stone types to be found and dug through? I want giant tumorous worm-flesh mountains with misformed nodules of eyeballs and chitin as gems in really evil areas  ;D
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: December 09, 2008, 10:39:12 am »

And the dwarves in candy-land mod, oh boy...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: December 09, 2008, 11:13:07 am »

The boneworker will be able to work them (again relying on the "bones" item type), even though that's a bit weird given that the material isn't actually bone.

Well not entirely wierd

It is in the sense that the Jewel skin should be able to be turned into leather objects to some extent... but tanning is worthless (What exactly is the tanner doing? going by threads that mention urine... I dare not think about it.)

Metalic Bones should be able to be turned into some bone objects... but some aspects of Bonecrafting simply stops making sense. (Stringing together metal bones to make armor makes sense... Tieing a Metal skull to a totem makes sense... Carving a Bunny out of a metalic thigh bone doesn't make sense)

I wonder in what sense Toady means "more logically"? hmmm

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: December 09, 2008, 11:17:12 am »

Mind you it would be a bone made of metal, not a hunk of solid metal in the general shape of a bone. Anything organic has lots of pockets of emptiness to decrease the weight and need for that material while keeping the strength. It is not beyond me to think of a carver shaving off bits of metal if it is like a sponge. A really fine sponge, but a sponge nonetheless.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: December 09, 2008, 11:36:33 am »

There's the question then. WHICH dwarf material? Because if I understand right, you can make a creature with bones made of dwarf BONE material (dwarf bones), or dwarf EYE material, or dwarf BRAIN material, and so forth. If by "dwarf material" you mean dwarf MEAT, then it will just as well be possible.

I really don't understand your second "monstrosity with bones and muscle of the creature's own material". If you make a creature with bones that copy dwarf bones, then another creature with the bones of that creature would still be the same dwarf-material bones. That's how referencing should work, in any case.

edit: unless of course referencing the creature materials will just copy the properties, and leave the reference alone. Then you will only be able to make a creature with bones that have the same properties as dwarf bones, and then another creature with the same properties of bones, but in every case the name of the bone material would match that of the creature.

Uh, noooo.....

My original example specifically called for the bone material to be made out of dwarfs. THAT is the material to be used. Dwarfs.

And in my second example I was more referring to say, a Borgle, who had bones made out of the Borgle material.

Which if absolutely everything was taken into account would probably make the game crash.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: December 09, 2008, 11:47:12 am »

wouldn't a borgles bones be made of borgle-bone material, and not just borgle material ?

just like a borgles borgle is made out of bogle borgle material, and not just borgle material
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: December 09, 2008, 11:48:30 am »

What makes Dwarf Fortress dangerous?

Because it has something you don't, Max.  It has a philosophy.

Long live the new flesh!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: December 09, 2008, 12:00:58 pm »

Mind you it would be a bone made of metal, not a hunk of solid metal in the general shape of a bone. Anything organic has lots of pockets of emptiness to decrease the weight and need for that material while keeping the strength. It is not beyond me to think of a carver shaving off bits of metal if it is like a sponge. A really fine sponge, but a sponge nonetheless.

Good point. I would really expect Iron bones to provide excellent blood production. (The more you know: Bones provide most of the human bodies blood production)

I guess the carver would saw it open and make the carvings out of the bone marrow huh?

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: December 09, 2008, 12:23:56 pm »

Here is my question:

Now that creatures can have non-standard materials for their parts will this allow dual purpose for them?

For example will a being with a skeleton made of Iron be capable of making both rather strong Bone armor and be capable of having its bones melted down into Iron?

Or for something less "Melt it down"ish. If someone's skin was made out of Jewels, could you cut it into gems or turn it into extravegant leather?

Basically stuff along those lines I am aware that there is also a chance that certain combos could do nothing (For example a Tiger with Ruby eyes may not give material for rubies upon cutting it up just by virtue of having ruby eyes alone)

The Ruby Tiger can punch all the blood out of a bear. Don't touch sandvich.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 148