Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349251 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #855 on: December 09, 2008, 12:42:23 pm »

Thanks for the answers.

Now, a new question based on today's dev notes.

It'll let you do some weird things now, like farm plants that can be processed into weavable metal thread
Does this mean that you'll put in some changes so that things like "weave metal thread" don't automatically assume adamantine? That's the main reason I haven't put in any new metal cloth into my mod, the fact that it's a pain to tell what metal it's talking about.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: December 09, 2008, 01:10:36 pm »

Uh, noooo.....

My original example specifically called for the bone material to be made out of dwarfs. THAT is the material to be used. Dwarfs.

And in my second example I was more referring to say, a Borgle, who had bones made out of the Borgle material.

Which if absolutely everything was taken into account would probably make the game crash.

There is no one "dwarf material" -- it's meaningless to say "something made out of dwarves."  Same for "borgle material," unless you specifically design a unique material which is used for all of the borgle's tissue layers.  So if you have a single borgle material, you already have to make their bones out of borgle material by definition.  The recursive aspect you're looking for doesn't make sense.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: December 09, 2008, 01:36:00 pm »

Thanks for the answers.

Now, a new question based on today's dev notes.

It'll let you do some weird things now, like farm plants that can be processed into weavable metal thread
Does this mean that you'll put in some changes so that things like "weave metal thread" don't automatically assume adamantine? That's the main reason I haven't put in any new metal cloth into my mod, the fact that it's a pain to tell what metal it's talking about.
We'll be able to have ironwood trees, and iron wood trees. ;D
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: December 09, 2008, 02:40:11 pm »

Uh, noooo.....

My original example specifically called for the bone material to be made out of dwarfs. THAT is the material to be used. Dwarfs.

And in my second example I was more referring to say, a Borgle, who had bones made out of the Borgle material.

Which if absolutely everything was taken into account would probably make the game crash.

There is no one "dwarf material" -- it's meaningless to say "something made out of dwarves."  Same for "borgle material," unless you specifically design a unique material which is used for all of the borgle's tissue layers.  So if you have a single borgle material, you already have to make their bones out of borgle material by definition.  The recursive aspect you're looking for doesn't make sense.
i think he meant live dwarfs. not any PART fo a dwarf, the whole thing.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: December 09, 2008, 02:42:11 pm »

Aka: Twenty dwarves working together to make a transformer-style giant dwarf.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: December 09, 2008, 03:05:48 pm »

It seems like there's a need for a difference between 'bone' in the sense of a internal skeletal structure for a material and 'bone' in the sense of calcium based animal product used for decoration and crafting.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: December 09, 2008, 03:10:33 pm »

It seems like there's a need for a difference between 'bone' in the sense of a internal skeletal structure for a material and 'bone' in the sense of calcium based animal product used for decoration and crafting.
Why?
 Oh, as in how we define things. Aka:
 Urist: Hey, make some bolts from these bones!
 Kogan: His bones are made of iron!
 Urist: No, these are normal cat bones...
 Kogan: No, your bones. the ones you use...
 Urist: I'm holding them, and they are not made of iron!

Like the he's on first sketch.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: December 09, 2008, 03:16:54 pm »

Well, the distinction is kind of already there, it's just that the names are confusing.  Bone the item is from skeletons, bone the material is the calcium based stuff.  From what Toady said, it sounds like bone carvers are only worried about the item, while they should really be looking for the item-material combination.  And of course you need different item types to reflect the fact that a skeleton isn't entirely composed of femurs, and so on.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: December 09, 2008, 03:21:07 pm »

Uh, all metal thread can already be weaved into cloth. And later forged into clothes. Tried it with gold, it worked. Well, I tried only the cloth thing, and it worked. Never tried to make any items with it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: December 09, 2008, 03:31:05 pm »

Oh, it works fine. But the order in the workshop is always just several commands of "Weave metal thread into cloth" or something like that. It doesn't give any indication of WHICH metal you're asking it to weave. Which is annoying.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: December 09, 2008, 03:55:04 pm »

Neither does it say which silk or plant thread you're weaving. It's normal.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: December 09, 2008, 04:02:30 pm »

I'd have to look, but I think it's something like:

Weave thread into cloth
Weave thread into silk
Weave thread into metal

So that should cover everything, but if you add in more metal thread types you get

Weave thread into cloth
Weave thread into silk
Weave thread into metal
Weave thread into metal
Weave thread into metal

At least if I remember right. Someone may correct me on this. *shrug*

Either way I'd like some way to know what orders I'm giving when it comes to weaving metal thread.
Come play Mafia with us!

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: December 09, 2008, 05:11:46 pm »

wouldn't a borgles bones be made of borgle-bone material, and not just borgle material ?

just like a borgles borgle is made out of bogle borgle material, and not just borgle material

This is exactly what I am trying to get across

WHAT IF there was a creature in the raws whos bone reference didn't call upon the bone material at all, but instead called on its own (the creature's) material?

This all depends on the question that I asked, which is if creatures get their own material simply by existing.

Jems made of wolves, people. Think about it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 05:15:51 pm by Patarak »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: December 09, 2008, 05:25:52 pm »

This all depends on the question that I asked, which is if creatures get their own material simply by existing.

Not in the sense you mean.  They might implicitly get their own bone material from generic bone, but the material still has to be defined somewhere.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: December 09, 2008, 05:37:45 pm »

A... ghrm. We don't really know how that system will work, but logic dictates that every creature will start out with default materials for flesh, bones, and all applicable tissues. If your question is of the "what if I call a material belonging to the creature from another material belonging to the same creature" variety, then my answer would be that you will get a default material if the material in question has not been initialized yet, or the actual material used for the creature if that material was already defined by that point. It would be an obvious loophole to plug, and Toady would probably think of that.

I presume the actual question you were trying to ask is "what would happen if I wanted to make a borgle, with bones made of borgle's borgle". The answer is: depends on whether the borgle's borgle is initialized before or after the borgle's bones; in one case you get a default material with average properties and a default name, in the other you get the borgle's borgle.

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 148