Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 129121 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #1485 on: April 08, 2011, 07:57:53 pm »

I didn't see the SDS coming until the description of the change. Darn.

I usually keep a Combat Application Tourniquet, Combat Gauze, Multitool (a nice enough Leatherman kick), strap cutter, three led lights, two voodoo dolls, an M4 speed loader, pen/paper, 550 cord, and boot blousers in my pockets or on my belt at all times. For flood fighting, I've gone down just to the seat belt cutter (in case some idiot decides to try driving on the street right now and gets swept off). 
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: April 09, 2011, 12:01:12 am »

More I think about this the more I realize I'm fucked in this scenario. I was just watching The Colony (Season 2) and I was a bit squeamish about their whole hunting and killing snakes in the bayou - I'd feel even worse if it were something fluffy. I still spend an inappropriate amount of time thinking about this stuff though.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: April 09, 2011, 05:49:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Welp.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: April 09, 2011, 05:56:16 pm »

*points west*
I got my mountains to hide in, and enough ammo for revolution.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: September 17, 2014, 12:53:01 am »

(response to spambot necromancy removed)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:35:20 am by Toady One »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: September 17, 2014, 02:58:55 am »

Wow, but it's been awhile since this thread

Sooooo . . . just saying. Battle of Yonkers. Tanks.

"Driver, track, troops."

Problem is solved except for mop up and decontamination. 
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: September 17, 2014, 03:57:51 am »

Battle of Yonkers?
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: September 17, 2014, 04:26:25 am »

We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: September 17, 2014, 04:33:04 am »

I've read enough reviews of WWZ to know that it is stupid and very, very unrealistic.

Square formations with semi-auto rifles being more effective than a mechanized brigade with full support? Yeah, this is not how it works.
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: September 17, 2014, 10:10:22 am »

It is if you base the entirety of your zombie lore around wanking to a single line from Night of the Living Dead. Of course it also helps to have authorial powers to make the soldiers and officers in one scenario vastly more competent than in the other.

3. Run Resize Enable

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: September 17, 2014, 10:14:34 am »

So is the problem that fire doesn't destroy zombies, or that the USA military suddenly ran out of napalm?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: September 17, 2014, 10:26:54 am »

With the exception of choosing a utility tool that is more specifically better screened than normal as a good melee weapon as well (such as a machete), there would be very little if any difference between effective zombie prep and general prepping for unstated non-zombie disasters.

Your greatest enemy if society collapses for any reason are the elements and your own body (its need for calories, etc.). Clean water, food, etc. are far more important than the actual zombies are. Especially since zombies' numbers are always fairly ridiculously exaggerated. Most completely unprepared people would be able to take down probably at least one, which would imply a small fraction of the population actually surviving to roam the land, and you'd hardly ever run into them if not in a major city.

If anything, it should be easier to survive zombies, because if a lot of people are zombies, it implies a lot of abandoned pantries.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: September 17, 2014, 10:32:23 am »

People think so small about social collapse survival.  Ammo, water and food run out.  Get some light manufacturing equipment and you will have the resources to barter for whatever you need and hire guards too.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: September 17, 2014, 11:04:45 am »

People think so small about social collapse survival.  Ammo, water and food run out.  Get some light manufacturing equipment and you will have the resources to barter for whatever you need and hire guards too.
Food shouldn't even be an issue for an even mildly competent state in this sort of crisis. Zombies are going to be concentrated in the cities; your agricultural regions are going to be mostly insulated and relatively easy to protect. Food/water is only a short term crisis for people in cities, and ammo is only a problem if you're being stupid and trying to fight instead of just running and letting the corpses break down.

But of course that would be a boring story, so instead the virus is medical magic that prevents virtually all forms of decay, in addition to making the infected function beyond normal human limits without any of the bad effects of doing so.

So is the problem that fire doesn't destroy zombies, or that the USA military suddenly ran out of napalm?
The things the author wanked about the most in that chapter were: the U.S. military suddenly not knowing what to do when zombies didn't die to the overpressure from whatever they used as their dramatic finale (fuel-air bombs, maybe?), and the U.S. military suddenly deciding that trench warfare was the way to go against a slow-moving unthinking horde.

Also the traditional "but fire/napalm actually isn't that good against zombies because it doesn't kill them right away no srs gaiz listen", because dousing them with napalm and then slowly retreating until they've burnt to cinders isn't a thing.

3. Run Resize Enable

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: September 17, 2014, 11:10:14 am »

Normal fire maybe, but napalm can reduce flesh to charcoal in seconds. Hell, if you insist on going with infantry, why not give them flamethrowers? Despite what videogames tell you, they have pretty decent range.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101