Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 129211 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #1455 on: March 31, 2011, 06:10:07 am »

I was recently asked (as the resident zombie expert) by a comrade at another base how the present plans should change if the zombies were of the not-dying-to-head-shots variety. Assume that the dead do follow normal rules of gravity and nerves (breaking their legs enough that they can't put weight on it is going to make stuff difficult for them and that severed limbs no longer function) apply. How do you survive?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: March 31, 2011, 06:42:41 am »

I was recently asked (as the resident zombie expert) by a comrade at another base how the present plans should change if the zombies were of the not-dying-to-head-shots variety. Assume that the dead do follow normal rules of gravity and nerves (breaking their legs enough that they can't put weight on it is going to make stuff difficult for them and that severed limbs no longer function) apply. How do you survive?

Make a vehicle like old-fashioned mine-clearers, with whirling chains to knock them aside.  This isn't just flippancy at the leg-breaking comment, it's a consideration I've had as well.  I mean, if we're already talking about the dead returning to function with dire intent, if anything it's more of a stretch to say they would have a "weak spot" guaranteeing incapacitation, versus animated necrotic flesh that just keeps on functioning through any muscle still attached to something.  In that case, bodily destruction is the only option, so you'd need something that can deal out bodily destruction quickly, efficiently, and repeatedly.

Whirling, shin level chains would do the trick.  Knocks the body down in the first blow, pulps everything that falls afterward.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 06:44:24 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: March 31, 2011, 06:45:32 am »

Alternatively, giant mutant bombardier beetles.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: March 31, 2011, 06:47:21 am »

Make a vehicle like old-fashioned mine-clearers, with whirling chains to knock them aside.  This isn't just flippancy at the leg-breaking comment, it's a consideration I've had as well.  I mean, if we're already talking about the dead returning to function with dire intent, if anything it's more of a stretch to say they would have a "weak spot" guaranteeing incapacitation, versus animated necrotic flesh that just keeps on functioning through any muscle still attached to something.  In that case, bodily destruction is the only option, so you'd need something that can deal out bodily destruction quickly, efficiently, and repeatedly.

Whirling, shin level chains would do the trick.  Knocks the body down in the first blow, pulps everything that falls afterward.

Assuming that your current location gets attacked before you have time to organize, how do you get that fixed up? I gave the answer of using one vehicle as a decoy while the others get prepped.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: March 31, 2011, 06:52:20 am »

Ooh, zombies fun.

Assuming that your current location gets attacked before you have time to organize, how do you get that fixed up? I gave the answer of using one vehicle as a decoy while the others get prepped.

While whirling chains are effective, they are complicated, and there for more prone to failure. Not to mention they take longer to rig up. Rather if these zombies follow more natural laws that they require a leg to stand on, then a hard solid bar, about knee hight, on the front of the car should break their legs easily enough. The biggest and most obvious downside to this is that is requires the car to be moving to work.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: March 31, 2011, 06:52:31 pm »

In this case I would also assume it wasn't virus based?  If it wasn't then I'd say pitfall traps and flame for a defence type, or flame and a well armored vehical that is moderatly flame proof.  Flame would destroy muscle tissue fast enough that you would have burning piles of bones pretty quick, and it's not like flammible liquids are hard to find.  Alternativily cow pusher, you don't need to kill everyone in the way, jsut get through and drop molotovs when you are moving.
Nom nom nom

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: March 31, 2011, 07:04:28 pm »

I was daydreaming the other day about how it'd be cool to try and hide out in a chemistry department (...preferably one with a canteen.  Run by someone paranoid enough to stock up in case of zombie attacks).  I mean... you'd be able to dessicate, corrode, explode... you might have a chance even against the "keep fighting after headshots" variety.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: March 31, 2011, 07:06:36 pm »

If I heard about the zombie apocalypse happening on TV or the Radio and was at my house here's what i'd do, and yes I have been planning this out for awhile.

1. Grab all emergency food and water from my cabinet and bring it upstairs (Yes its all there for a zombie apocalypse.
2. Turn on the bathtub upstairs and leave it until it fills up. (Powers probally going to go out so it would be good to have some extra water.
3. Go back downstairs and grab any blunt/sharp objects that can be used as a weapon.
4. Barricade doors and large windows with heavy items.
5. Grab as many sheets and blankets as I can, to cover the window during night time.
6. Destroy the stairs leading upstairs.
7. Continue to watch TV and call my friends and family to check on them.
8. If a large amount of zombies end up outside my house, go out my bedroom window and use a rope to get down to the ground.
9. If there is no way around the mob, use my kayak to get myself to the other end of the pond that is in my backyard.
10. Go to my friends house that is the closest to me.
11. Repeat all steps until I have all of my friends and a fair amount of food and water.

This plan isn't very fool-proof, but hey its better than nothing right?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: March 31, 2011, 07:40:12 pm »

My Plan (That I Totally Just Made Up):

1. Drive all vehicles to gas station and load up, and loot grocery store.
2. Acquire generator from building supply store at the end of my street.
3. Fill as many jugs as possible with gas.
4. Loot grocery store for as much bottled water as I can get.
5. Break open gun locker in house.
6. Load everything into truck.
7. Drive to cousins on dairy farm.
8. Live there on beef.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: March 31, 2011, 07:53:56 pm »

Funny thing, the place where I work happens to be a food warehouse, that's also got a high fence around it. Not a bad place to hide out. We've also got a forklift. Zombies can't beat a forklift.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: March 31, 2011, 08:42:23 pm »

Funny thing, the place where I work happens to be a food warehouse, that's also got a high fence around it. Not a bad place to hide out. We've also got a forklift. Zombies can't beat a forklift.
You could also use the heavy crates for barricading, but since I live in minnesota I might just decide to head up north to canada if I survive finding all of my group memebers.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: April 01, 2011, 03:22:50 am »

If I'm at home in Fargo and not in some hellhole, feel free to stop by.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: April 01, 2011, 04:58:47 am »

My Plan (That I Totally Just Made Up):

1. Drive all vehicles to gas station and load up, and loot grocery store.
2. Acquire generator from building supply store at the end of my street.
3. Fill as many jugs as possible with gas.
4. Loot grocery store for as much bottled water as I can get.
5. Break open gun locker in house.
6. Load everything into truck.
7. Drive to cousins on dairy farm.
8. Live there on beef.

Loot, then arm yourself? A means to protect myself would be a slightly higher priority for me.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: April 01, 2011, 05:10:30 pm »

Don't you think that looting at the beginning wouldn't be that good of an idea? I mean thats where alot of people are going to be going in the first place, and getting would probally be problematic.
Welcome to Reality.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: April 01, 2011, 05:28:12 pm »

Don't you think that looting at the beginning wouldn't be that good of an idea? I mean thats where alot of people are going to be going in the first place, and getting would probally be problematic.
On the flip side, the longer you wait before looting, the harder it would be to find supplies, as everybody else wasted them on themselves before getting zombiefied.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 101