Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133489 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #1470 on: April 01, 2011, 08:43:14 pm »

How hard would it be to rig up a giant motorless lawnmower (like this) to the front of a car or make one for personal use? I can just imagine the fun until you run out of gas. Which is why the Prius is the car of choice for dealing with zombies.

Now, as for supplies, I'd say work on building up a month or two worth of non-perishable supplies and water in my basement, as well as a few gallons of gas, firearms, and ammo. 

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: April 01, 2011, 08:51:39 pm »

Eh that wouldn't work very well, in theory it would be awesome. But wouldn't that attract a hell of alot of zombies and end up getting you killed? I mean zombies are only killed by destroying the brain so its kinda pointless.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: April 01, 2011, 09:28:21 pm »

Funny thing, the place where I work happens to be a food warehouse, that's also got a high fence around it. Not a bad place to hide out. We've also got a forklift. Zombies can't beat a forklift.
You could also use the heavy crates for barricading
We use cheap cardboard boxes, unfortunately. We got a lot of wooden and plastic skids, though, which can easily be used to make a handy barricade.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: April 01, 2011, 09:33:59 pm »

Zombies lose all basic skills right? Well that would include climbing. So I assume that if your unable to destroy your stair's in the events of a zombie attack on your home, you could nail a door or other large flat object to the stairs. This would cause the zombies to have no traction going up the stairs and be forced to crawl up, you could easily knock zombies back and or kill them.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: April 02, 2011, 07:30:08 pm »

It's not actually that hard to walk up a flat object at the angle most stairs are at. I can see your point though. Biggest problem would be buildup of dead, I think.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: April 02, 2011, 07:31:09 pm »

Just use the ventilation!
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: April 02, 2011, 07:35:15 pm »

Well i'd assume the zombies lose alot of functions in the brain, so even trying to climb up a hill would be difficult. I guess this would only be useful in a temporary defense.

Also what kind of place would you make your mega zombie fortress? I would pick a inner-city school since most of them have high fences, and barred windows which would be pretty useful. The only problem would be that your deep inside the city where most zombies are.
Welcome to Reality.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 02, 2011, 09:56:15 pm »

I just had an awesome story idea, a zombie movie that's a bit like the movie Pitch Black in nature:

In the far future, human civilization is trawling the galaxy for habitable planets to populate, and build a new haven for humanity as the sun nears the end of it's life. A colony ship, carrying hundreds of thousands of people, happen upon a planet nooked away in a corner of the universe that's seemingly perfect. An ocean of clean, liquid water and breathable air. The world is a tad cold though, and something is amiss, the planet is the site of an unknown cataclysm. The entire surface is littered with the remains of a human-like civilization from eons past: thousands of cities and billions of their citizens lie dead, yet preserved, in the planet's cold temperature.

The lost civilization shows signs of being advanced, with space debris still orbiting the planet, and a satellite still using solar power to generate a severely degraded warning signal in an undecipherable alien language.

The colony decides to descend on the planet and hope to colonize it. Things go well, some pre-existing buildings offer the some easy shelter to branch out to, only requiring that preserved bodies of their previous inhabitants be moved aside first.

Many months pass, and the colony is successful, but then as the planet's summer begins, a metamorphosis occurs. All the planet's billions of dead spring to life in the warmer weather, and besiege the unsuspecting colony. Humanity's weapons at this point are extremely advanced, but the space-age colony is embroiled in a world of violence that it cannot escape easily. An all-out war against zombie planet.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 03, 2011, 01:46:10 am »

Seems like a good idea for a story, combining zombies with sci-fi. I like it!
Welcome to Reality.

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: April 07, 2011, 02:32:46 pm »

I'm amazed I haven't noticed this... but I don't read forums that much... anyways.

I'm a big fan of doomsday/armageddon/end of the world movies and books, zombie invasion being my favorites. Me and my friends have fun sitting around and running imaginary scenarios and figuring out ways to survive.
I'm not deluding myself, in case of a REAL doomsday scenario, I'm most likely not going to survive, but I'll sure as hell going to try.

We got this idea of "being ready" quite some time ago and we made EDC Kits (Every Day Carry). While we are still unprepared for major emergencies, we found out that our EDC's are actually a good idea. There's a small situation almost every day when we get to pull a multitool, a zip-tie, a compass, etc.. and "save the day", impress co-workers and even damsels in distress. Maybe it's about fishing someone's keys from a gutter, tightening a couple of screws, using a zip-tie to patch a purse sling, or lighting the barbecue fire when all the branches are wet, either way, always hauling a small bag with a few important items, does give you a small advantage.

Back on topic.
We all agree that initial survival (time zero) depends on a few facts.
-Time and location:
Being home (familiar grounds), in front of the TV (getting informed a.s.a.p.), right after shopping for a few days worth (supplies) greatly favors initial survival.
Being downtown, in the middle of a crowded city, close to ground zero, probably means zero chances of survival, unless you are a highly trained individual.

-Type of emergency:
-Fast infectees (28 days later) or demonic/supernatural zombies ([REC]) greatly diminish chances of survival.
-Romero-type zeds, the slow and dumb ones (Dawn of the Dead) should be somewhat easier to survive, if one keeps himself from being overrun.

As for survival scenarios... we have a few... hundreds of them. I'm quite sure that if we're ever going to face a real emergency, 99.9% of said scenarios will turn out to be utterly useless... however, maybe we'll be able to improvise along the way.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:36:15 pm by Nospherat »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: April 07, 2011, 03:32:23 pm »

That EDC thing is a pretty good idea, I have to start doing that. I dislike the people who just say "Im going to go and shoot them.", guess they don't take it as seriously as I do.
Welcome to Reality.

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: April 07, 2011, 03:43:17 pm »

Our EDCs are different, as we are different people. It's actually pretty fun to "read" into this.
Mine is in a sturdy tactical shoulder bag in multicam colors. It's geared towards fixing stuff since I'm a bit of a tinkerer and I get into a whole lot of technical situations at work. I fancy a Chicago Benzen Tools Multitool, since it's good but dirt-cheap. I use it a lot, and at some point it WILL break. It's only a tool for me, nothing special.

My buddy keeps all his stuff on his belt, tweaked, tuned and prepared for instant access, and his idea is: "I need this stuff NOW! In this split second." He's centering on daily emergencies and has stuff like seatbelt cutters, windshield breaker, pepper spray... He's using a state-of-the art Leatherman Multitool which is WAY too expensive for my taste.

My wife's EDC is geared towards more... womanly emergencies, she has stuff like scissors, paper glue, stamps, lots of pens... she keeps the whole mess in a rather chaotic manner, in a separate compartment of her purse. She's using a slender, slim and small SOG multitool.

If you want, I could list the contents of my EDC, maybe you'll get some ideas.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: April 08, 2011, 06:15:27 pm »

Alright, another story idea:

Instead of explaining the concept, allow me to paint the scene in your head.

Society has fallen, a deadly plague has crippled most of humankind. The monsters responsible prowl the street, looking for their next victim. In the din of buildings burning, and car alarms blaring, a single scream is heard.

Some of the last survivors of the city have huddled amongst themselves in a hospital. They worry, their store of food and fresh water is running low, and it isn't certain if they'll make it through the week. Suddenly, the clamber of footsteps is heard rushing through the hallways, while the survivors hope for the best. The man peers his head at the group, and an older woman's face lights up with happiness. She runs up to hug him.
"John! You made it back safe! We thought... we thought..."
"It's alright, everything's alright. I managed a whole cart of groceries. We'll be eating good for a few days more."
The John's voice lacks any sort of relief or elation. He pushes the older woman away from him, and he goes to sit by himself as the group descends on his parcel of food, dividing it amongst themselves.
Another gentleman though, a sharp-eyed doctor, notices the unease on John's face.
"Hey John, is everything alright?"
John looks away, he can't meet him eye to eye.
"...You've been bitten, haven't you?"
"...Yeah, Steven, I wasn't paying attention. One of'em got me good."
John rolls up his sleep, and peels back a few layers of bandages to reveal a nasty bite wound. Dr. Steven takes a closer look at it.
"I'm so sorry, but there's no doubt about it. You're infected. How long's it been since you got it?"
"Atleast 3 days now."
"So what are you gonna do about it?"
John falls silent, as if knowing what's going to happen. Steven motions at a syringe of some unknown poison in his coat's inner pocket.
"Death doesn't bother me John. I can put you out of your misery. You said three days? We don't have much time, how do you want to do this?"
John thinks for a second, "No, every little bit is valuable. I'll throw myself off the top of the building. That should do it."
Steve and John look back at the group, all still preoccupied with their bounty of delicious goods.
"Let's not ruin their day John, let's sneak away and do this while they aren't paying attention. It's best for them."

John gets up, and starts walking down the long hallway to the stairwell, Steven in tow. Before they get their though, John stops, clutching his chest.
"Come on John! Only a little bit longer!"
John can no longer respond, as he starts hacking and coughing. He falls to the ground, and vomits black bile. He loses control of his muscles and seizures on the ground.
"DAMNIT JOHN! DON'T TURN ON ME NOW!"
It's much too late though, as John's skin metamorphosis, and becomes ashen and gray. Steven panics, and takes the syringe, stabbing it into him to no effect.
"NO! Don't do this to us John!"
John's body mutates, the skin stretches to allow his limbs to become longer, and his body begins swelling in size. Steven finally realizes he can't handle it by himself, his only hope lies in the firearms that some of the riflemen in his group hold. He runs back to them, yelling at the top of his lungs.
"IT'S JOHN! HE'S TURNING! WE NEED TO KILL HIM NOW!"
This sudden announcement catches everyone by surprise, but Steven manages to get some people to follow him back to John's location. John's body continues swelling, the seams of his clothing start bursting, his belt snaps, his shoes tear off his feet. His arms and legs become much longer, and more muscular, both hands and feet deforming into large flat disks with his legs and arms deforming into veritable tree-trunks to match.

The group finally rendezvous with John, bearing witness to his metamorphosis, they don't hesitate, they fire a barrage of pistol and rifle fire, only to see it all disappear into his fattening mass. Feeling it though, John twists his head, and reveals to them his last shred of his human face as it changes. His ears have grown to thirty-fold their original size, and have become large and floppy. His skull distends and mutates, with his eyes being forced further and further apart and his mouth becoming larger and larger. His nose protrudes out of his face, enlarging to become a snout, and then even larger, longer, and more muscular to become a trunk.

"OH GOD!" the group thunders simultaneously. John, now the beast that he is, finally regains his balance, and gets up on all fours, facing the group. Everyone fires another volley into John's monster body, but to no avail as he trumpets a mad death scream wail. He charges at the group and everyone throws down their weapons and run for their lives down the hallway. Crushing and destroying everything in his path, John catches and crushes his attackers underfoot, one by one. The building quakes and cracks as he stampedes through the building, Steven the only one barely keeping ahead of the monster as everyone else is flattened in his wake. It's futile though, as Steven makes the last heroic action of his life, leading him to a dead-end instead of toward the group.

Steven, cornered against the wall, the transformed monster John nearing him step by step. He looks him dead in the eye as John's trunk violently wraps around Steven's body, lifting him into the air.

Lightning strikes, and the silhouette of the two pre-face the screen as the title for the movie scrolls upwards, onto the screen.
Elephantitis

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: April 08, 2011, 06:29:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/quote][/spoiler]

I suspected you were aiming for a shaggy dog story from the beggining. For some reason I expected the infectee to transform into a Hello Kitty monster, though.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101