Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133840 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2008, 12:01:21 pm »

I don't remember seeing anything that suggested they retained any higher thinking.  They seemed more like rabid dogs than people.
Shoes...

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2008, 12:04:08 pm »

well, don't you remember when there was that chained up one? he was cowering from the humans and shit. And if memory serves right he had a tear in his eye lol. Theres quite a bit of evidence if you look around. ill try to find more but i havn't watched them in sometime

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2008, 12:18:50 pm »

Is that the first or second one?   I've only seen the first. 

Anyway, even a dog can be made to fear punishment and work for praise.  If the people regularly behaved violently toward the zombie, without giving it a way to fight back, it would eventually learn to fear them and cower.  That doesn't suggest that the zombie is sentient.  Also, if I remember right, the zombies didn't go out and hunt as much as lie on the ground until people showed up.

If you locked and barred your door and windows, took all the food and supplies into your basement, locked that door and put a washing machine against it, covered up any basement windows with debris, as long as you didn't make any very loud noises(Maybe the washing machine isn't a good idea) the zombies probably wouldn't find you, and you could wait them out.  Even if they did, it's unlikely they could break down a locked/barred metal front door, and even if they found a way in, assuming you properly blocked off the basement door they'd probably give up after a few minutes.

Of course, that's a lot of "if"s.
Shoes...

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2008, 12:26:47 pm »

The 28 days later zombies arent actually zombies they are infected with the "rage" virus. It was transfered from a animal in a testing lab in the first movie to a human. They are just like humans except very very pissed off, their anger overides everything else. They do have some sort of sense, they could make their way upstairs in the second one and find the girl under the bed. They obviously have limited thinking.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

Probably more smell than thought.  As for wording, I know why they're not "zombies" but it doesn't really matter.  "Zombies" and "infected" may as well be the same thing, and I'll never understand why people get so crazy over the wording.
Shoes...

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2008, 01:30:16 pm »

Probably more smell than thought.  As for wording, I know why they're not "zombies" but it doesn't really matter.  "Zombies" and "infected" may as well be the same thing, and I'll never understand why people get so crazy over the wording.

Because Zombies are dead in a sense, while Infected are alive but with brain damage? I don't know, I haven't seen the 28 days later movies.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 27, 2008, 01:56:55 pm »

Well, at some point you aren't talking about zombies anymore.  The 28 blanks series kinda crosses the line into nonzombiehood in my opinion.  It's a virus... that makes you filled with rage.  Not unintelligent, not a shambling corpse, not brain-thirsty, just really angry.

Seriously.  They're like dudes with contagious steroids.  Not creepy at all.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2008, 02:05:45 pm »

Yeah, but what makes them scary in the 28 series is the fact that they are still humans and its a hell ov a lot more likely to happen irl than the zombie plague. And zombies have like an IQ less than a cockroach, express no emotion, no fear or pain. While the rage virus'ed people from 28 days later are basically pumped up on adrenilin 24/7. Which could be the answer to why they act like zombies in the sense of blood thirst and feeling no pain, they're just drugged out.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2008, 02:10:27 pm »

Yeah, but what makes them scary in the 28 series is the fact that they are still humans and its a hell ov a lot more likely to happen irl than the zombie plague. And zombies have like an IQ less than a cockroach, express no emotion, no fear or pain. While the rage virus'ed people from 28 days later are basically pumped up on adrenilin 24/7. Which could be the answer to why they act like zombies in the sense of blood thirst and feeling no pain, they're just drugged out.
But if they're still essentially human, where's the horror of becoming one?

"OK guys.  If we don't kill these other guys they're going to infect us.  And then we're going to get the adrenaline rush of our lives."

It's not really the same.  Plus, it means that loading someone up with sedatives (or, possibly, alcohol) would cure them, which is kinda... lame. 

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2008, 03:11:30 pm »

Maybe it's like in that Stephen King book, and the virus stops the functioning of everything but the id?
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 27, 2008, 03:22:48 pm »

"Cell" zombies were evolving zombies.  At first they were rampaging mindless things that attacked each other, but they eventually mellowed out and started working together to find food and shelter.  After that, they became downright sapient with that little scheme which I will not reveal because it's actually worth reading.

Consider it more of a "reboot" than a dumbing-down.

And if I remember correctly, the rage virus was a mutated strain of rabies.  Rabies causes unpredictable behaviour that is quite commonly aggressive.  It's mental instability plus aggressiveness.  That's not the same as an adrenaline rush.

And there were a few scenes in that movie where the zombies (I'm gonna call them zombies, because they're about as close to the original meaning of the word as any other modern day zombie) were hunting.  They just seemed to prefer nighttime for their excursions.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 27, 2008, 03:26:37 pm »

Even if Hollywood (not 28 days later) zombies photosynthesize or whatever the hell they do to break all known laws of biology, or if they are simply crazed psychopathic hordes, go hide out in the desert.

Find an oasis in the middle of the Sahara, or a well or something. The zombies will all dry up well before they can reach you. Problem solved.

The 28 days later zombies weren't creepy in the manner of what should not be, but downright scary in that nearly the entire population is out to kill you and disregards everything in trying to do so.

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 27, 2008, 06:33:28 pm »

You're just as likely to get killed getting to the middle of the Sahara as the zombies are.

And yeah, 28 days zombies had intelligence. They managed to climb up the shopping cart stairway thing, and doesn't that kid shout "I hate you!" in the cheeseburger place? I wasn't sure if that was a hallucination or something.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 27, 2008, 08:47:26 pm »

They managed to climb up the shopping cart stairway thing, and doesn't that kid shout "I hate you!" in the cheeseburger place? I wasn't sure if that was a hallucination or something.
I abosolutely dont remember that..

I'll never understand why people get so crazy over the wording.
Im not going crazy, I am just pointing out they aren't actually zombies.

On another note, thats why I like 28 days later casue they arent fake really, it could possibly happen.. which is scary as fuck.

What do you guys think about "the hills have eyes" personally I thought it was really f'd up.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 27, 2008, 08:52:14 pm »

I've seen trailers, and about twenty minutes of it on some Japanese YouTube (which had smilies up the wazoo, I might add).  From what I could tell, it was just another "Blood!  Guts!  Cheap spooks!  Scariest thing is the acting!" movie. 

So, yes.  Pretty f'd up.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 101