Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133809 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2008, 09:21:40 pm »

Yes, we're all from Midgard, except Fenrir and he's dead, what makes you so special?
casue

Gesundheit.
Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2008, 10:34:59 pm »

Yes, we're all from Midgard, except Fenrir and he's dead, what makes you so special?

Hahahah. That was clever.

In a zombie outbreak, I'd plan to stay a distance away from large crowds of people. With all that hysteria, I wouldn't be surprised if a living human gets me before an undead one does.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2008, 11:36:29 pm »

Braaainnns!!!
(Zombie Fenrir)
(Not original)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2008, 11:43:05 pm »

It's official. Various nonsense was founded in evil and savage territory. That's the only way we could get a zombie giant wolf.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2008, 11:43:31 pm »

He's back.... again, or is he?

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2008, 11:46:38 pm »

Nope, this is just to keep it safe, in case he does return....again>.<

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2008, 11:47:21 pm »

Sure...
Shoes...

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2008, 11:52:42 pm »

Problem...

T_i_ I_ D_e_D_a_n_'_ Z_m_i_ P_p_e_!

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2008, 11:55:37 pm »

Solution...

This is DreaDFanG's Zombie Puppet!
Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 26, 2008, 03:40:45 am »

casue

Gesundheit.

Win.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2008, 02:49:36 pm »

Been playing the HoAE demo for a little bit, and it took me a while before I realized how they managed so many units...  They're all 2D, except for heroes and really big baddies.

I must say, that company has some incredible 2D artists.  The background art for the American Conquest series (and I'm assuming Cossacks as well) was absolutely stunning.  But, after a bit of play, I find that the games are just a tad too similar for their own good...  And HoAE seems to be a bit unfinished.

Still though, coming from a company that made a game capable of handling 16,000 units at one time, you can have some pretty epically huge battles.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 26, 2008, 05:36:34 pm »

This thread is still going?

My only problem with the above is your insistence on a .22 caliber rifle. 5.56 (US military standard) rifle ammo is one of the most plentiful around (assuming you live in the US, Europeans would probably have to rely on surplus 7.62 AK ammo), has better penetration, and is more likely to critically injure the brain, or knock down the target even if you don't get the kill shot. The recoil isn't particularly bad either.

Unless you're Rambo, a bow isn't going to be of much use to you, unless you're hunting for food with it. If the Zombies don't know you're there, why the hell take the risk of alerting them to your presence by attacking them with something that may not kill them on the first shot, is going to take a fair amount of time to load, fire, reload, and fire again, and requires that you maintain a reasonably close range if you really intend on getting that one-hit kill? Sure, it sounds cool, but give me a semi-automatic, high caliber rifle/assault rifle any day.

.22 because it comes in giant bricks, weighs less, does penetrate the skull, is plentiful and so forth. It may or may not go all the way through to skull, but you only need it in to kill. A 5.56, .223, 7.62, etc is fine as well, but you can carry more .22 ammo. The only way to kill a zombie with a gun is to punch a hole in the cranium, and mobility is life, so pick the lightest gun that can still crack some heads. You're also practically guaranteed to find .22 in nearly any house that has a gun.
A .22 is not a toy. A significant number of people die from .22 regarding it a such. The other half of it's lethality, besides people's disrespect, is that it doesn't punch all the way through.
more likely to critically injure the brain
.22 can crack a skull, and even if it doesn't come clean through it will rattle about scrambling brains or ripping rotten tissues. If it penetrates clean through and doesn't damage the brain enough, you've wasted a shot.

200 yards is the maximum range a .22LR should penetrate a skull. That would be the major problem in my list.

A bow is for taking out game, but mostly for taking out people when needed. Noise doesn't matter around zombies so much as is does people. Zombies just sort of have a 6th sense.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 03:26:58 pm by Idiom »

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2008, 01:33:22 am »

The only way this threat is going anywhere is if we agree on a zombie universe. For instance: zombies in the Romero movies are caused by ANYONE dying. Someone could get a heart attack, nowhere near a zombie, and they would reanimate.

The 28 days/weeks zombies are pretty much very angry violent people who don't feel pain. I think they're the most dangerous because they can think. Fortunately, they can starve to death.

I think we should go with the zombies as described in the Zombie Survival Handbook. They can't run, can't think, can't starve because they eat out of instinct and not necessity. This is probably the least dangerous of the universes because of the lack of running and thinking.

I've probably forgotten a bunch of movies/books because I haven't seen/read them all but those are my thoughts.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2008, 11:57:53 am »

I think the 28 Days Later zombies would be the easiest actually.  I could totally last four weeks on the food I have at my house right now.  Or six weeks, whatever.  If they can't starve, you can't wait them out, you have to fight back, and hope you can kill them all.
Shoes...

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2008, 11:59:53 am »

but they are basically crazy humans. not zombies. and because they're crazy humans there'll be some sort of intelligence associated with them and they could probably find a way into your house. :P
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 101