Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133746 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #1260 on: February 15, 2010, 03:41:23 pm »

It would be better to live in an IFV.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: February 15, 2010, 06:30:28 pm »

We all know how crazy a "living dead" zombie outbreak is. Even if everyone in every major city were too f*ing stupid to get away or kill at least one zombie before they died, any military with WWII tech or better could handle them. I enjoyed reading WWZ, but it isn't realistic. You could clear New York City's streets (assuming every single person stepped out from behind their locked doors to become zombies in the street) with a dozen tanks in a few days. You'd WANT noise. About the only thing that can bog down a modern tank is "bottomless" mud (such as you find in tropical environments) and with the city streets forming a permanent bottom for your swamp of rotting flesh, you'd just lure them in and run over them all.

Even the rotting undead still need functional levers (bones) and some sort of motive force (decaying muscles that need no fuel though they be). The idea of any wall of flesh passing through a wall of bullets is just absurd. A single .50 cal machine gun of any make or model could clear an infinite number of shamblers given infinite ammunition, one direction to fire and no overheating or wearing out. Imagine a couple hundred of them from your state's national guard, firing day and night with spotlights. You could face down a billion zombies, given a clear line of fire and plenty of ammunition. Alive or not, nothing walks with shattered bones, and they wont' be crawling or even twitching under thousands of pounds of their fellows.

I insist that only Necromorphs would constitute a threat, and we'd probably deal with them using incendiary ammunition. They'd still be nearly unbeatable if they had the characteristics of some video game necromorphs.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: February 15, 2010, 06:59:26 pm »

ya but what about resident evil zombies, where it's not so much they are dead but rather a form of intense rabies? That infects dogs, birds and lizards. Once it got into the animal population you'd have to wimp out almost everything, not to metion the flying and no impairment of movement something like rabies causes, course there would be less zombies though, cause the people that were actually killed wouldn't come back.
Nom nom nom

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: February 15, 2010, 07:03:21 pm »

ya but what about resident evil zombies, where it's not so much they are dead but rather a form of intense rabies? That infects dogs, birds and lizards. Once it got into the animal population you'd have to wimp out almost everything, not to metion the flying and no impairment of movement something like rabies causes, course there would be less zombies though, cause the people that were actually killed wouldn't come back.

Still easily beatable with armor.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: February 15, 2010, 07:04:59 pm »

a cloud of physco birds wouldn't eventually find a way to peck you through whatever your wearing/using? Plus gas, ammo and food, being pinned down sucks.
Nom nom nom

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #1265 on: February 15, 2010, 07:07:04 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:21:53 am by Stany »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: February 15, 2010, 07:09:55 pm »

RE zombies are a little unusual. Assuming the possibility of a virus that can infect any animal life (crazy, but so is the whole zombie idea so I guess we can skip that), RE is more of a necromorph zombie type. They kill animals and convert their flesh into monsters. That's a necromorph, only in this case the virus/infection itself is the killer.

Then again, RE changes its zombies from title to title. When they are what you described, though, they're necromorphs (mutation-prone reformed dead flesh, not walking dead).

For an easy reference for an idea of the traditional walking dead corpsemonkeys, consider Dead Rising. The level of danger presented by the zombies in that game is approximately appropriate. If you were given, say, the MG from Modern Warfare 2, you could clear the whole mall in a couple of hours :)

I prefer the rabies/rage concept for zombies. I find it to be more realistic (as far as zombies can be realistic) and tends to have less defeatist consequences as they can simply be starved out.
The problem with the rabies zombie idea is that we have rabies: A disease that causes insanity including an urge to rip and tear with the teeth and hands, and is passed via bodily fluid. That IS zombiism, and it exists. It's just that people in general aren't stupid enough to let it ever be widespread.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #1267 on: February 15, 2010, 07:15:42 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:22:15 am by Stany »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: February 15, 2010, 07:17:12 pm »

a cloud of physco birds wouldn't eventually find a way to peck you through whatever your wearing/using? Plus gas, ammo and food, being pinned down sucks.

Let the zeds swarm your tank, smash and shoot a few, then drive away. It won't take long at 42MPH (governed) to leave them in the dust. Once they no longer chase you, refuel, rinse wash repeat.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: February 15, 2010, 09:03:31 pm »

Realistically, I have never seen any depiction of a zombie apocalypse that could actually get started. As people have been saying, even an entire city of zombies could be easily wiped out, so the infection would have to strike all over the world, almost simultaneously, for the zombies to get started. If the virus had a huge incubation period during which it was contagious it might be possible, but this is never how the disease is portrayed. The zombies in most movies would have been routed within days of the infection appearing, and would never have a chance to destroy civilization.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: February 15, 2010, 09:11:34 pm »

You'd be surprised how hard it is to actually kill an entire city.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: February 15, 2010, 09:15:47 pm »

We (Americans) have done it before. With. One. Fucking. Bomb. Each. TIME.

Not to mention that, thanks to us, Bikini Island no longer exists. Thanks to us and the Hydrogen Bomb.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: February 15, 2010, 09:18:06 pm »

You'd be surprised how hard it is to actually kill an entire city.

You'd be surprised at both how easy it is and how much blood it makes. So many bathtubs..
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: February 15, 2010, 09:26:27 pm »

Just so we're all on the same page on what kind of Zombie we're talking about, I'll draw out this quick list. When you're talking about your survival plans, just preface it with one of these four titles. (Oh, and if I left something out, remind me.)

Rotters or Zeds (Night Of The Living Dead/ Dead Rising)are the lower end of the danger scale. Their slow, dumb, but tough as hell. So long as they still have their jaw and brain, they'll still bite. If you tear them in half, they'll keep crawling. Patheticly easy to run from though, and lack the knowledge to preform basic tasks such as climbing objects or open doors. Fire is not recommended except at extreme rangers, as the zombie won't be dealt with until the fire burns through important ligaments or destroys the brain.

Ragers or Infected (Left 4 Dead, 20 Days/Weeks Later) are lower med tier and very dangerous. They're major organs (Such as heart, and lungs) still seem functional, and this allows chemical warfare to work as well as making chest shots far more viable. They can sprint in hordes however, making the 'run and gun' tactics that work well on Rotters nearly impossible on foot. They're smart enough to climb, but are also stumped by doors. Fire very effective. Waiting until they starve seems to be a viable tactic.

Runners ( Dawn of the Dead(Remake)) These zombies combine the speed of the Ragers with the physical toughness of the Rotters. This includes immunity to starvation and resistance to fire. Incredibly dangerous.

Necromorphs, Crazies, T-Virus, Los Plaguas, and Xenomorphs all also fit the basic "Everyones dead and you have to survive the baddies!" theme.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: February 15, 2010, 09:33:54 pm »

We (Americans) have done it before. With. One. Fucking. Bomb. Each. TIME.

Not to mention that, thanks to us, Bikini Island no longer exists. Thanks to us and the Hydrogen Bomb.

I'm pretty sure that both Hiroshima and Nagasaki are both still around.

Of course, if you pour enough nukes into any problem, it'll go away. Certainly with proper application of modern nuclear weapons you could completely destroy a city, you'd also irradiate half the planet, so it's not exactly the ideal solution.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 101