Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163734 times)

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #390 on: October 14, 2009, 07:33:06 am »

I have no clue how to make this, so could someone make/teach me how to make a certain world?

I want to replicate the world from a show called Desert Punk, a vast flat desert with hills, a few mountains, and human settlements. Also no rivers, no oceans, no brooks, at most a few small lakes.

Also no greens at all if possible.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 14, 2009, 07:45:38 am »

Mountain Features can't be controlled with worldgen... yet.
That should be just untrue...see: dwarfheaven, 'nilla dwarfhea'en...

It's still uncontrolled. You can *search* for them, and/or make them show in the embark screen, but that's all. The next version should fix that.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 14, 2009, 09:02:37 am »

I have no clue how to make this, so could someone make/teach me how to make a certain world?

I want to replicate the world from a show called Desert Punk, a vast flat desert with hills, a few mountains, and human settlements. Also no rivers, no oceans, no brooks, at most a few small lakes.

Also no greens at all if possible.
No greens means no humans and no hills, so there's 3% grasslands on the map.
Most of them aren't green being savage and evil in different states.

Created in DF v0.28.181.40d16.

[WORLD_GEN]
   [TITLE:ISOLATED MICRO 0-400]
   [SEED:569015513]
   [HISTORY_SEED:1594896508]
   [NAME_SEED:1451461146]
   [DIM:129:129]
   [END_YEAR:10000]
   [BEAST_END_YEAR:50:50]
   [REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
   [CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]
   [ELEVATION:99:400:1600:1600]
   [RAINFALL:0:15:1600:1600]
   [TEMPERATURE:15:85:1600:1600]
   [DRAINAGE:0:35:800:800]
   [VOLCANISM:0:100:1600:1600]
   [SAVAGERY:50:100:1600:1600]
   [ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:0:0:0]
   [EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:4000:2000:4000]
   [PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:20]
   [OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
   [VOLCANO_MIN:50]
   [REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:0:0:0]
   [EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:10]
   [RIVER_MINS:0:0]
   [PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:0]
   [OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
   [SUBREGION_MAX:5000]
   [CAVE_MIN_SIZE:1]
   [CAVE_MAX_SIZE:1]
   [MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:0]
   [NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:0]
   [ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:1]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:2]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:2]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:2]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:2]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:2]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:2]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:2]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
   [TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:5]
   [TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:-1]
   [PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
   [ELEVATION_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:4000]
   [VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]
Finis sanctificat media.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 16, 2009, 05:20:40 pm »

Change your init to show underground rivers on the site finder or alter the value when you generate a world. Then you can just straight up pick a long river.

Decent river + magma pipe is usually fairly common. If you want HFS you'll only find a few suitable sites on a medium map. If you want sand and flux with those you'll have a long hunt for a site spanning many worlds. If you want all of that with a glacier... well damn, there's simply no amount of worldgen tweaking that will give you more than a snowball's chance in hell of finding that.

However, if you edit the stone layers so that sand is the only type of soil there is and so that flux is not sedimentary then you've only got to find a tile with the mountain features all close together and, well, that's still a pain but not nearly so much so.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 31, 2009, 03:28:25 pm »

Is it possible to change anything in the worldgen so that more obsidian will be availble? I plan on building a pyramid of obsidian in a lake of lava, but my plans are foiled since no locations I try seem to have any large amounts of obsidian availble. Not even the ones which actually say "obsidian" on the embark screen.

Also, is there a working reveal-cheat/util which does not screw up your game? (magma buildings etc)

edit: might be the wrong place to ask this, but would it be possible to replace Andesite and Rhyolite with MORE obsidian? More often than not those two types of stones are the ones showing up around volcanos I want to use :/
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 03:45:53 pm by wrajjt »

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 31, 2009, 08:28:21 pm »

I was wondering,  has anyone had any success creating a map with no civilizations where you can build a fort?    I'm trying to do it but keep getting the "unable to place controllable civilization" error.     

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 31, 2009, 11:29:44 pm »

You need at least one dwarf civ on the map to embark from.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 01, 2009, 04:30:15 pm »

Is it possible to change anything in the worldgen so that more obsidian will be availble?
No.
Except the one: change the text name of layers to "obsidian", and give them appropriate tags.

Also, is there a working reveal-cheat/util which does not screw up your game? (magma buildings etc)
No.

edit: might be the wrong place to ask this, but would it be possible to replace Andesite and Rhyolite with MORE obsidian? More often than not those two types of stones are the ones showing up around volcanos I want to use :/
Do you think there are more obsidian in the real world?
Finis sanctificat media.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 01, 2009, 04:33:10 pm »

Entire obsidian layers aren't enough for you?

In that case, just build an obsidian-generating device out of a water source and the magma pipe.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 01, 2009, 04:34:42 pm »

I was wondering,  has anyone had any success creating a map with no civilizations where you can build a fort?    I'm trying to do it but keep getting the "unable to place controllable civilization" error.     
Turn off "playable civ required" and get the uninhabited world.
Finis sanctificat media.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 01, 2009, 04:36:28 pm »

I was wondering,  has anyone had any success creating a map with no civilizations where you can build a fort?    I'm trying to do it but keep getting the "unable to place controllable civilization" error.     
Turn off "playable civ required" and get the uninhabited world.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 01, 2009, 07:09:37 pm »

Is it possible to change anything in the worldgen so that more obsidian will be availble?

You can add more volcanos, or you can adjust the minimum and maximum "Volcanoism" in the parameters. Make the minimum value fairly high and you should have plenty of regions with multiple layers of obsidian. Minimum 75 max 100. You could also experiment with high volcano variance. Set it up to 1600 and 1600 and you should have many more smaller regions that vary wildy in how "volcanic" they are.

Keep in mind these volcanic-type regions that have obsidian layers have no sedimentary layers, which means very little or no metal or other valuable materials.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 02, 2009, 07:52:35 am »

Actually yes, although difficult.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hope I made any sense.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 02, 2009, 08:08:16 am »

Actually yes, although difficult.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hope I made any sense.

Actually, there is a better route, but it requires that you download Visual Fortress which is a 3D visualizer. Do the same designate the whole bottom layer thing, load VF and have it load up your fort, make sure the reveal tiles square is checked. Then use the slice tool to find your magma. This will never mess with your game as all it does is take a snapshot of each tile.

While some stones (and sometimes soil) are difficult to tell apart due to having the same or nearly the same color, you can get a general idea of whats there. What it won't tell you is exactly what you are looking at, for example jet, magnetite, and mica look the same. However, correlating viens that are exposed at the surface with ones that you see in VF can help.

Of course though, you can always save the game, use reveal, look around, use task manager to force the game closed and then reload the game. Just don't save it after you have done reveal. I always do that when I want a detailed look and it works just fine.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:11:19 am by smjjames »

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 02, 2009, 08:58:05 am »

Of course though, you can always save the game, use reveal, look around, use task manager to force the game closed and then reload the game. Just don't save it after you have done reveal. I always do that when I want a detailed look and it works just fine.

Yeah. Also a great way of doing risky things.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42