Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game.  (Read 30573 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game.
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2008, 03:41:11 pm »

Mii'Ari development: 5AP to introduce Basic Tools. The Mii'Ari still prefer their own claws and strength for attacking the prey, but fishing has proven far too difficult bare-handed. In spite of the frustration with frequent misses, and the general dislike of water, a few males have conversed and decided that maybe throwing something other than yourself to hit the fish might yield better success. While experiments with the readily available small rocks were fruitless, continuous trial and error finally led to someone breaking a straight branch off a tree, and sharpening it with the claws. After several attempts, and taking a slightly longer branch, the hunter was able to impale several fish in a relatively short time.

As the weather continues to become wetter and wetter, shelters are becoming vital to survival. A whole family has drowned at night, when a small, but sudden flood caused by heavy rain filled the small depression in the ground where they were sleeping. With the rest of the tribes warned of the danger, the tragedy did not repeat again, but hunters were also getting tired, as frequent rains denied them rest, and the ever-dwindling food resorces pushed some families to the brink of starvation.
With this new threat clearly visible, many Mii'Ari families have decided to travel. Some simply moved into already occupied places, some started a selfless trek into a nearby desert, in hopes of drier weather and maybe better provisions.
While this was happening, some have remembered the natural shelter described by one of the families. While the idea was not well received at first, the need for a shelter was rising, and the family has been offered help in making one. Some of the tribesmen who were fishing heard of the latest developments, the sharp wooden sticks used to impale fish, and tried to relate the idea to the family, hoping it would be of some use to them.

ooc> You'll have to roll for the success of the shelter's creation. If it's successful, I'll get a shelter building skill for the base EP from my turn, with 1 subtracted into physique. Increasing the physique should have beneficial effects on hunting and combat.
The migration goes without scouting, as follows: some 2000 of the population move from M25 to M27, while 1000 more move to the desert square L26.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 03:42:44 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2008, 04:11:11 pm »

The Southern School of Shrike continue their journey through the unknown, watching the waves above them splatter from the raindrops. They are puzzled by this, and find it hard to survive near the surface. They get sluggish, like humans in high altitude. While they find this unhealthy, and with unknown hunting grounds around them, they decide to stay near the surface to get used to this strange happening.

The Northern Schools are also finding this, and also decide to try the same. They know that they can't stay in the marshes forever, particularly with the Kadesh moving away from the traditional habitats and the hunt growing smaller. They know that there is something in the Kadesh waters that makes this place different from the Deep Blue, and they know that if they don't do something about it they will perish.

One Shrike, a large bull male for his kind, lead the raids into the Kadesh waters. His first target is a lone Kadesh, which tried to put up a chase towards a reef. While they were able to nip off the fins of the Prey, they could not fell it before it reached a stretch of reef. The Bull looks at the Prey, feeling a rage similar to what the Prey was feeling.

Of course, when the Prey came down on him with a club of coral he stood no chance. The Shrike rely upon their speed to do damage, and the best he could do at this range was flail. The Bull was struck down, his blood driving the rest into a frenzy to avenge their leader.

The attack was not over. Through the electric pulses and clicks of the Shrike, the news of a Great Bull spread through the Schools. He died to find the source of the bay, the source of their life. The greatest Shrike Bulls start a large raiding party towards the river, trying to find the thing that makes the difference between here, the Deep Blue, and the disturbances on the surface.

Out of Character:
 Just connecting the events Aqizzar outlined to the death of a particularly large Shrike. And now the Shrike are trying to adapt to feshwater, getting way from their dependency on brackish water. Also, the Southern School moves further south. I'm sure they would get a bit farther than they have been reflected in the map. I hope by next turn, they can reach the turn around the peninsula on the southwestern side of the island.

Also:

Half of the EP: Towards freshwater adaptation.
 Freshwater:
 While the oceans are large and provide much food, freshwater streams and lakes provide a staging area to evolving onto land-based tribes.

Other Half: Limbs

Limbs(Lets assume +3 to reach 8 )
 Limbs: The once-before lobes for fins are now growing larger, stronger, and more complex. A new joint has been added to the fins, and now they allow this creature to move faster and more swiftly than before. Not by much, but now it looks like it could eventually be a full-fledged limb.

At what point should it become capable of holding things? Or at least supporting the body on land? This is going to be a four-legged creature.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2008, 04:58:06 pm »

[OCC] Do I have 10 or 8 EP to spend?
3EP into tool construction. After the studying of this tool for many days the know how of construction these tree cutters became apparent. It required a small wooden shaft with a sharpened stone cut from other stones. This skill lets the bugs construct a few axes per colony.

3EP into tree cutting. After the local head gave the order to investigate this new tool it became apparent of its immense implications to speeding up forest removal. Training of this tool became imperative within his sub colony. The removal of trees may allow the expansion of bigger farms and the possible harvesting of the little tree maggots.

2EP into trench digging. Mimicking what the rain does to rivers the Bugs develop a rudementry irrigation system. The bugs move the soil with their bare claws, but create a small test channel through a farm yard. After noticing the water flowing through the channel instead of the surrounding lands they decide to make a small criss cross grid of channels ultimately leading to the nearby rivers.

1EP Nature investigation. The bugs had known they wern't the only living creatures around, but it came as quite a shock when they found these interesting smaller bugs suppoesedly eating the tree apart. Maybe the insects could gain some sort of important genetic material from these little bugs(?).

1 extra point into my already existant Genetic Aquisition skill. The more the heads eat, the better they become and processing the good and bad genes.

[ICC] After the recent discovery of not one but two new life forms within the bugs lands, the heads started to grow excited about the prospect of new fresh genetic material to be harvested. Although the recent change in weather was a concern to all the bugs, the forest bugs seemed content to live in the forests which had survived many floods themselves. On the other hand the bugs living in the outer reaches, at the mountains base and river might find it a bit harder to cope with the sudden increase in rainfall. But the recently discovered trench digging technique might help their survival. The relentless expansion into the forest continues as the populations are now reaching another fission point. The use of the tree cutters will help with the clearing of lands and allow for the quicker colonisation of the lands. Meanwhile the a head sends out a calling signal for the head and warrior bugs of O-17 and P-18 to mass in O-17 to begin their attack on O-19 where the last colony failed.

My turn:
If O-19 is cleared the workers and mothers will return back into the old colony site and try once again.
While on the other side of the colonies where the maggots were discovered a bunch of Heads started to devour the little tree maggots in an attempt to produce fertile offspring that should hopefully reveal some of the maggots secrets.
A new colony 1000 strong will be attempted in Q-18. The usual complement, a couple hundred workers, 250 warriors, 5 heads and 15 mothers.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 05:01:29 pm by Nilocy »

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2008, 12:48:26 pm »

The advent of the cyclone deeply troubles the Nahuantl, and many begin to worry that it might be the cause of the rain, and that the rain would likewise be poisonous.  To make matters worse, with food beginning to run scarce, the troupes of R-12 turn to war as a solution to their problems.  Fearful of being the next victim if there still wasn't enough for their neighbors, the Xahutec, a group of 300 led by Loqoatl the Spirit Mother retreat to the base of Q-15, which they dub Zlatlan.  They begin to search for less obvious hiding places than the canopies during their stay.  They also begin combing the local flora and fauna for possible defences, such as the corpses of horned creatures or other similar things.

I'll put 3 of the previous base EP into manipulators, and 2 EP into a completely new skill.

Electromanipulation 2:  2 EP
Nahuantl can generate a mild electric shock.  This is too weak to kill on its own, but can generally stun creatures for a short while, possibly giving the Nahuantl the upper hand.

Also, I really thought of the Nahuantl as generally laying 3 eggs, not just one.  But maybe it's too late to change that?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2008, 06:57:58 pm »

<OOC post>
I'll spend 1 EP to speed the Plantwee up (Movement 2, from experience a better regimen of rest and movement is developed to get a sustained speed of 0.4 miles per hour)
Also (off-screen  ;D) 5 EP go into food storage (Food storage 5: by sucking the insects dry rather than digesting them, a durable source of food can be obtained.)
And 1 EP goes into object manipulation (for a total of 6)

there's something wrong with my populations, I seem to have a colony in R24 when in fact the successful one was in U25, and the guys in T26 seem to have somehow died in large numbers (there were 1000 deaths from the saltwater contamination, but it would seem 3000 died? or is that damage from lack of births? what is the timescale of the game, BTW?)
I will make an RP post tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 07:00:46 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2008, 07:40:56 pm »

As he had grown fond to, the Old One stared up and long into the wet sky.  He watched with much  fascination as the air turned to water, his great eyes unblinking as the falling sea pelted his face.

Some were sure that the Reefs that had always been their home would keep them fed forever.  Some had starved.  Some were reluctant to leave the water over distant dangers.  Some were eaten.

The terrible Fish came in greater numbers, and seemed more dangerous with every encounter.  Nowhere in the Bay was safe any longer.  The Bay was lost to the Kadesh anyway – there was so little food, even the Fish were hard pressed to find prey besides stubborn Kadesh.  Only the mouth of the River was safe, the Outriders keeping the Fish away by bitter violence or unthinking sacrifice.

But here, on this Land, they were safe, and food was plentiful.  The Old One had told them the Land would be their home, and the Waters had rushed up to meet them.  The great swells made the hills into gathering grounds, and the floods washed the predators away who could not hold and swim as the Kadesh could.

The Old One looked down to his gnarled tentacles.  They were all but useless to him now, and he knew the next Flood might wash him away as well.  Already the young, those spawned in their new Land, could lift and hold better than he ever could.  And their eyes did not betray them in the wide open air as his did.

But he knew the Floods kept the Herd safe.  The Herd had moved up into the River, and the Old One knew they must move more.  The River, that flowed from up and out of the World, was their life now.  And the Kadesh must know where their life came from.

[Behind the Scenes]When I looked at the map, I thought the light green areas (like grass) were plains and the dark green areas (like trees) were forest, but this way works as well.  The rains and floods have made that big river valley they're next to just the sort of place they can live in.  They'll soon leave the ocean completely, moving into F-10 and the river valley at G-13.  They've sent explorers, such as the Kadesh have them, up the river into the mountains to see what's there.

Points wise, they're adapting to life on flooded land.  Their tentacles were evolved for use under water, and are now getting stronger.  Their eyesight is improving to see better in the air on open land.  However many points I get, 5 will go to Manipulators, and the rest will go to eyesight.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2008, 08:31:42 am »

(OOC: Hehehe, time to play God.  Takes place in R24)

While the Plantwe below were spending their time growing, in a nearby tree was a little songbird, singing to its hearts content.  It had just discovered the little insects in the tree, marching their way up and downbringin food to their queen, and for the rest of the colony.  A wonderful display of selfless cooperation in the colony.

While the bird sang, he flew from tree to tree, finding more and more of these insects.  He found that they tended to live inside the trees, or inside dead logs, or even once inside of an acorn.  Truely, this was a wonderful discovery.

While hopping from tree to tree, he soon found himself looking down at some strange creatures, the likes of which he had never before seen.  They were plant, yet animal.  They were solitary, unless they wanted to move.  Puzzled, he moved in for a closer look.

One of the larger Plantwe, Bigleaf, saw something of interest coming towards him.  A rather tasty little songbird was flying right into his range.  While he had eaten recently, he had never before caught a bird, and wondered if they tasted any different than insect.

The stupid bird flew right next to him, but rather than loot the ground, it stared at him for some reason.  However, Bigleaf was not one to question the strange habits of the flying folk, and instead grabbed at the bird.

Bigleaf knew something was amiss when he passed right through where the bird should have been, grasping at thin air.  Strangely enough, the peculiar smell of *funny* right was next to him.  Turning around slightly, he saw a Plantwe right next to him that he didn't realize was there.

*funny* the stranger said again.

*what* *funny* Bigleaf asked.

*smallWing* *fly* *away*

*food* *fly* *away* *Notfunny* Brigleaf returned with annoyance.

*what* *strange* *smellSpeak* the stranger returned, nonsensically.

Annoyed now, Bigleaf decided to look for another songbird.  Then, he noticed a lack of the smell of the stranger next to him.  Looking around, he saw nothing.

[OOC: Essentially, I establish contact with one of the Plantwe, confusing him in the process.  I also learn about the odd way that the Plantwe speak, but then I leave after a rather confusing conversation.]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:33:21 am by mutant mell »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2008, 10:33:33 am »

Where'd our GM go?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2008, 10:54:29 am »

I'm here, and I'm updating now. I'm sorry guys, been busy.

Also, base EP is determined by total population, divided by a rate that is under the map.

Dwarmin:

Weapons d% = 91: The Morrosur make tools that have sharpened edges, until someone decided to make an elongated sharpened spade. The weapon was very effective on the surrounding grasses, and she decided to help others make these tools. (+5 to Stone Swords)

Dams d% = 92: The dams are very well built, completely watertight. One of the Morrosur had the idea of sealing it with mud, and it was very effective. Using this knowledge, the Morrosur are capable of building simple structures. (+3 to Construction)

Boats d% = 10: The Morrosur throw their sacrifices into the cyclone, but fall in themselves. Their absence sparks fear into the Morrosur, making them paranoid of the cyclone, believing it to be an evil spirit. Cults dedicated to keeping it at bay start to pop up, and young Morrosur pups go missing...

(Great rolls, until this one.)
EP

Base: 6
Engineering and Design: 2

TOTAL: 8

Sean:

Shelters d% = 17
The shelters leak, need constant repair, and occasionally collapse. They are so awful more Mii'Ari start the immigration to the desert. (1000 more Mii'Ari go to the desert, no shelters)

L26 Settling d% = 18
The sands rise, biting the traveling Mii'Ari, driving them mad. The frenzied ones are killed, and eventually the swarm of sand dissipates. The Mii'Ari settle in a small canyon with a small oasis, where they are protected from the sand swarm.
(500 killed total by sand swarm)

EP

Neutral Expansion: 0

TOTAL: 7! Nah, 6.

Duke:
(Sorry, I posted the map and for some reason, it was un-updated. I have your moves, they are on my copy of the map, and they will be added next turn. Also, which peninsula do you mean? The one way in the corner, or the one that's closer? If you mean waaaay down there, you'll be broken into two colonies, if that's okay with you. Rolls will be done when you tell me where you're moving.)

Nil:

(The hex you are trying to settle (Q-18) does not exist. Please give me a new hex.)

Invasionary Forces d% = 80:
Combat rolls:
Jhair'd: 17 (d20)
Swarmers: 6 - 3 = 3
Events: The Jhair'd invade the forests with the fury of, well, an angry colony of ants. The swarmers look upon the feast, and rise from their hiding places... only to get caught in a smog cloud. The nearby smoldering crater blinds and disorients them, making it an easy fight for the Jhair'd. The swarmers are almost completely obliterated from the area.

Resettling the Crater d% = 32:

The colony quickly moves in, and tries to settle the area. The crater nearby proves to be difficult to live next to, as the smoke chokes the plantlife, making it hard to grow. However, with the military victory hot on their heels, the colony fights on and eeks out a survival in the area, with help from the neighboring colonies. (Colony survives, but is not self sufficient. Also loses 200 to early starvation.)

Genetic Aquisition d% = 1:
(This is gonna sting.)
The heads eat the maggots, but something goes horribly wrong. Perhaps they have an atrocious set of genes. Perhaps they just don't taste good. But they turn the heads into monsters. Horrible, all consuming monsters. Luckily, only 5 ate the maggots before their effects were discovered, but by then the damage was done. They killed an entire colony. Every single Jhair'd on that mountain died by their own leaders. After they ate, the twisted Jhiar'd disappeared, crawling away to some other place. Only a few survived to tell the tale, and they were badly hurt. They died shortly after.

EP

Base: 4
Flawless Military Victory: 2
Successful Settling: 1

TOTAL: 7

(Not enough EP to add all the things you asked for, so do you want Nature Investigation or Genetic Acquisition?)

NonAnon:

(It would be annoying to go back and balance it again. If you added 10 EP into egg laying or the like, a 3 egg average would be appropriate.)

Settling the Mountains d% = 73:
The mountains are a good place to hide, lots of caves. Also, plenty of fruits grow nearby, giving a steady food supply. However...

Combinations d% = 17:
The experimentation with the plants is a general failiure. The mixing of two plants that didn't cooperate well together burst into flames, catching the fruit trees on fire. The fire didn't spread too far, but much of the food was burned. (200 die before more food is found)

EP

Bad Expansion: 0

TOTAL: Erm... I don't know. 6?

Well, I'll finish this tonight. Please, people that I've left notes for, respond.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:30:20 pm by Fualkner »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2008, 02:36:38 pm »

Good turn for me. How did my inter-clan diplomacy go? It's already considered resolved correct?
Edit: V8 has very low food density, Taking into account my traits how many Morrosur can live their comfortably, maximum? Im thinking I need an exodus!

+3 Points into Strong Digestion: Morrosur have perfectly adapted to plants and animals in the top world. Finding food has become much easier.

+1 Language: The Morrosur have expanded their language-they have named many things, and the unity of language means that most understand as well.

+1 Unified Language: The sacrifice of the Elder is a sign of good faith, there is another convention of the Elders and the language is unified further.

+2 Tool Making: With the making of simple stone and mud huts, new tools are being made to build them faster and upkeep them.

+1 new skill, Military Organization: The veterans of the inter-clan wars have returned with a new sense of military discipline. They have learned the basics of unit cohesion and military ranking, taking a small step above the disorganized horde they previously fought in.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:21:31 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2008, 03:08:05 pm »

Fualkner, I said Q-19 didn't I. And how many points do i have to spend? I get confused.

And if this did happen in my secquence of turns the colonisation happened before my heads went murderously craaaazy. So it wouldn't have any effect on the numbers going there.

P.s Post 100 GO!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:11:11 pm by Nilocy »

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2008, 03:38:47 pm »

Could you roll for the wars in R-12?

+3 Farming:  Because so many are beginning to starve to death, the Nahuantl are beginning to get a grasp around the concept of farming.

+1 Language:  More adaptive signals and communications are becoming a necessity for the Nahuantl.

+2 Manipulators:  The Nahuantl now posses prehensile tails in addition to their hands and feet.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:53:03 pm by Nonanonymous »

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »

Fualkner, I said Q-19 didn't I. And how many points do i have to spend? I get confused.

And if this did happen in my secquence of turns the colonisation happened before my heads went murderously craaaazy. So it wouldn't have any effect on the numbers going there.
Well, you have the 7 I gave you, plus...

Q-19 Settlement d% = 99: (As the dice gods taketh, they giveth also ;) )

The Jhiar'd move into this area, finding it a perfect area to live in. Birth rate skyrockets, and they send over a defensive attack to defeat the crazy heads. They drive them off, saving 5000 of the bugs. They move into the new settlement, as the old one is completely ruined (They can move back next turn.)

Very Successful Settlement: 2

TOTAL EP: 9

You may spend all that. You also have 2 left over from last turn, so you may spend, in total, 11 EP.

Could you roll for the wars in R-12?

Is it a civil war? Erm... why would you kill off your own troops? I didn't really understand that part, but if you're willing...

Event roll: 23%
Agressors: 11
Defenders: 11

Combat: The agressors charge into the Nahuantl settlement, screaming warcries. Luckily, a scout returned, warning the others. The defenders hide, and when the agressors land in the settlement wondering where everyone is, they are ambushed. In all, about 1000 casualties were reported. (Tactics +2)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2008, 10:55:02 pm »

Yes, I did mean for a school to split from the others. I figure that being a more physically dominant water creature, I can have 'em statr to bug the coastal civ's before getting them on land.

Err, expect a roleplay post by next turn!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2008, 10:57:42 pm »

The reasoning is that there's not much unity amongst the larger clusters of Nahuantl, and not much civilization either.  I need to spend more EP so I can get them into a mindset that involves expansion.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10