Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game.  (Read 30565 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game.
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2008, 06:04:01 am »

The Mii'Ari live their lives as they always did, hunting the wild creatures in the plains, and living in the safe cover of the forest. While not warlike, the Mii'Ari families periodically engage in fights, driven by the need to train the younger ones to hunt, to survive. These battles rarely result in serious injury, as the participants are closely watched by the leaders of the families - the older, experienced members of the race that have no need to prove themselves in combat. The Mii'Ari live happily, unabated by hot winds from the nearby deserts, or sudden squalls of rain, though the latter upsets them. As seasons change and weather worsens, however, many begin longing for more protection from the elements, especially rain. One day, a Mii'Ari family roaming the forest found an odd location - a large, leafy tree has been felled, broken by the wind, and lay now on the top of a cluster of short, rigid bushes. The 'construction' was very like to the much-needed shelter. Being curious by nature, the family carefully examined it, and wondered if they could make one themselves.

In the meantime, expansion of the Mii'Ari continued in all directions. While they dislike water, small packs of fast scaly creatures reported by the scouts near the coasts and in the river prompted experiments with catching the fish by patiently waiting near the water and quickly grabbing them. Though only moderately successful, the experiments led to the Mii'Ari occupying the plains to the south for better ocean access, and sparked a greater interest in developing ways to reach the fish without contacting the water.

ooc> I'm rather at a loss as to what to say about the race's development. I never actually bothered to think through the social aspects of the race in its earlier history. I'd like to think I did alright for the first turn. I'll distribute the points as I get them.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2008, 10:00:25 am »

Heh, it's a retainer.

Ah, it sucks to have them. But the pains worth it in the end when you have nice teeth :D I've had my retainers for a few months now. Just remember NOT to leave them off for a few days (i've done that a fwe times now lol) it hurts like a bitch when you put them back on.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2008, 02:32:02 pm »

Hunting d% = 53: With the help of their claws, the Mii'Ari manage to hunt the packs of large, shaggy beasts. They have little defence except for their tough skin, but some have been spotted with very long tounges. While they don't seem to do much right now, more and more of the creatures have them.

Leafy Discovery d% = 34: The family returns to the clan telling stories of this lovely construction. When some Mii'Ari finally go to check it out, the tree has withered and become infested with bugs, and the bush has been crushed. The Mii'Ari family is scoffed at for their tall tales (No developing shelters until next turn)

Scouting d% = 43: The forests here are relatively healthy, with the last 50 miles a heavily forested swamp. The ground is nearly quicksand, but the roots are above ground and they are able to climb on them.

EP:

Base: 5
Scouting: 1

Total: 6
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:13:27 pm by Fualkner »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2008, 03:03:47 am »

It's mostly scouting the two hexes south of the current inhabited location. Being rather apt to stick to already inhabited places, the Mii'Ari don't migrate easily.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2008, 03:23:58 am »

Sorry I took so damn long to get with the program.  I've had a really hectic week and work's been killing me by the time I get home.  And Aqizzar cancels job: forum game: new DF.  So here we go.

The waters were calm.  The bay was always calm.  The waters were quiet.  The bay was always quiet.  The waters were cloudy.  The bay was always clear.  The Sounder tried to look through the thick water, as he always had while wandering the edge of the Herd.  But he had to stop and remain still, to let his tendrils hang and hear the best they could.

The Sounder had no name beyond recognition.  If he had a concept of naming, he would know only the Old One had a name.  The Old One had seen the Herd thrive and grow.  The Old One had made the Sounder, and many more like him, stay away from the Herd, and made others bring food.  The Sounders heard the Predators, and drove the Herd and Predators apart.  All had food, the spawns produced many more young, and the Old One was happy.

But the waters were cloudy.  The bay was cloudy.  The others searching the reefs found less to eat, only more clouds.  There were many more to feed, and less food to do it.  So thin was gathering in the reef, that some were moving farther onto dry land, where strange but eadible plants and insects lived.

And lack of food was not all the clouds signaled.  They held dangers – little fish that ate the spawn, vicious eels that ate the young, mighty crawlers that ate the gatherers, and the huge terrible Fish that ate anyone they could catch.  And with the Herd growing larger, there were always more to be lost.

For a brief instant, the Sounder thought these two problems might meet each other, but his tendrils drew him back to the bay.  Somewhere beyond the clouds moved something large.  And in an instant, the Sounder kicked off.  The Fish were upon him.

As fast as he was, as the Old One had chosen him, the Sounder could not outrun them for long.  They lunged for his tail, and cut ribbons in his fins.  They lunged for his feet, and tore off his toes.  But a great mound of reef lay just ahead, and with the last desperate spasm, he burst into the open air and fell to hard ground.  The Sounder quickly leapt up and danced from foot to foot to keep the pain away, watching the murky waters froth in rage.

And for another brief instant, the Sounder had a thought he had never had.  He did not want to go back in the water.

[Behind The Scenes]  The Kadesh have developed simplistic, herd-style division of labor, and the improved food-gathering has let them overpopulated their side of the bay.  Their traditional gathering grounds are being depleted and their large numbers are attracting more predators.  These will probably even each other out over time.

In response, they're starting to move out of the water more, probably up into streams and shoals, and the ones that are surviving predation are passing on better senses.  My EvoPoints will be spent half and half between improving Amphibious and Vibration Sense.  I'm assuming that such primitive division of labor is effective free, since without it they wouldn't be much of candidates for civilization, however far down the road.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:28:08 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2008, 04:04:35 am »

@Fualkner: I suppose I'll get the EP count for my turn, right?

Tokay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2008, 04:59:34 am »

Skip my turn.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2008, 01:25:10 pm »

Sean: EP is updated in post

Aquizzar:

(Basic division of labor is free, but anything more structured or better, an assembly line for instance, will require EP.)

Predators: d% = 41: The predators remain at more or less their same number, eating the other inhabitants of the bay.

Sounder Survivor: d% = 38: The Sounder eventually goes insane and jumps in the water, taking a chunk of reef with him. He bludgeons the predators with it until he's reduced to a bloody pulp.

EP

Base: 5
Fight for Survival: 2
Good RP: 1

Total: 8

TURN IS OVER! Map and Populations are being updated now.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2008, 01:40:58 pm »

Fualkner - I said SOUTH. To the south there are plains, not forests. Just in case, south is down. :)
I don't suppose the roll for scouting went so bad they went in the opposite direction? :D

Also, 1 AP goes to improve physique (due to the play-fighting, it will always be, each turn) and I'll describe the rest in my next turn.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2008, 01:58:46 pm »

Oh DUH. I know you scouted south, but I mixed up the colours and thought it was a forest. Anyway, the description stays the same, except less trees.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2008, 02:07:06 pm »

I suggest you use light green for plains and dark green for forests. It's more natural, and changing won't cause any more damage.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2008, 02:31:27 pm »

Hey Faulk, how many points into language do we need to develop "Alphabet" skill, written instead of oral language used for poetry, books, philosophy etc.? In my case I have two language skills-could they be combined when they both hit a certain level?
And before you cite the inaccuracy of my RP with a Elder using perfect English, note that is a dramatized version of prelinguistic archeological recreation.  :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2008, 10:22:55 pm »

Two skills cannot be combined, however, most or all of the EP will be transfered into the new skill. This is to simulate how a race still knows this old information, but also knows the new stuff. It's important to see where your creatures came from. And an alphabet... would probably be developed around 20 EP. Most languages have some sort of written counterpart, so it's pretty low. Keep in mind that I see English at about a 35. It's got plenty of words, and you can say anything with it, but frankly, it's confusing (Since there is no time like the present, I present you with this present...  :-\) and you must use alot of words to get a point across. Latin is a 50, being that you can say much with little.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2008, 01:30:21 pm »

NEXT TURN IS ACTIVE! Populations have been updated, and a new map will be posted shortly.

Global Climate: Rainy

Events:
V5 - The water in this hex has blasted upwards, forming a cyclone shape. It is unknown why it does this, but it seems to be stable and continuous.
O19 - Much of the land here has fallen into a pit. Deep within the pit is a magma pocket.
Global - Because of the rain, streams are eroding land. A new stream could easily be formed, and a flood is possible.

Also, if you have interactions with another race, you want to do something with something I choose to give you (Nilocy's maggots, for example) You are allowed to post more than once. I'll probably only award EP for the first post unless under special conditions.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 01:35:10 pm by Fualkner »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2008, 02:31:34 pm »

Third Row

I am Moltaratan the scribe. In the absence of our Elder, I am tasked with writing his memoirs

Our story has just begun, but already the weight of my duty lays heavy on me. Our people have been at odds as of late, and waves of shock and sadness radiate out from the fields of conflict. What was once a peaceful land has grown weary under the shadow of war. Violence against innocents is prohibited, but it is an eventuality that it will be broken. Already our youngest are trying to use our tools of carving and digging to kill quicker and in greater numbers. The son of the rival clan, the Stonesnouts, fell into a muddy ravine while he was attempting to lead a group of warriors into our camp…we should be lucky that they retreated, as he was their bone shaman. Without him the proper rituals of death may not be done to your enemies, and that is something no clan has dared break yet. As since time immemorial, blood calls for blood. So in act of self-sacrifice, Toth’tam’tatarkatan has traveled to the enemy camp in a final gesture of peace. The rituals call for the shedding of his blood so that no more can be spilled. If they do not agree we will have more war…

But life goes on…it always does. The water from the blue roof was a welcome sight after so much hardship…it seems to have dampened the spirits of the warriors who see it as an omen…some say when the rain clears we will have peace. Others say it will never stop, and we will drown for our sins. The clans have relocated to high ground where they can, and we lay stones around the village to block the rivers anger. In a more puzzling development a strange beast has risen in the sea, one of sky and yet of water as well. A dozen brave souls have volunteered to go-we are trying to develop a way to travel upon the rolling water so that we may offer it sacrifice in return for his favor and mercy. If one thing is sure, sacrifice will be needed soon for all.

Non RP
Well my clan elder has decided to sacrifice himself so that peace can break out, with the giving of his life in the deal. Weapon development has begun due to the hostilites. Were pretty much staying put, cause I hope the mountains will protect us from the flood. We are moving our camps onto hilltops and lining them with boulders to make dams. A dozen Morrosur have agreed to travel into the reverse cyclone lol and toss gifts of meat and wood to appease it, so were trying to make wooden boats with our new tools, and practicing sailing in the calmer streams and ponds. I hope I get better rolls this time haha
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 02:33:14 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10