Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How shall I deal with the aquifer?

Excesively elaborate srew pump system?
- 7 (21.9%)
Spiral down the outside of the magam vent?
- 6 (18.8%)
Direct some maga into it and dig thru the resulting obsidian?
- 12 (37.5%)
Search for some rock clusters?
- 0 (0%)
Go around by emptying the ocean?
- 6 (18.8%)
Import bauxite and steel to empty the magma vent?
- 1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: By Popular Demand - Vote Guided Undersea Glass Fortress  (Read 5414 times)

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: By Popular Demand - Vote Guided Undersea Glass Fortress
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 07:38:28 pm »

If you did it carefully, then, no, you wouldn't. Besides, draining the oceans kinda takes away from the 'underwater' part of it.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 08:02:47 pm »

Well, one cannot build underwater. We can always fill the ocean back up from the aquifer.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2008, 08:41:17 pm »

If you did it carefully, then, no, you wouldn't. Besides, draining the oceans kinda takes away from the 'underwater' part of it.

I'm not going to empty out the whole ocean. Just the areas I need to build the palace in. I have two plans for dealing with the ocean.

First is to treat is identical to an aquifer; surround the area I'm going build in with screw pumps, build walls in the corners, then in the sides of the area, from the bottom up, leaving the top z-level of ocean wall free, then shutting the entire system down. This will create an inverted pyramid. A little boring, but completing the project will be novelty enough.

My second plan is allot more time consuming and involves allot of dismantling and reassembling of screw pumps and walls. Starting from the shore in two places, keep a three wide area devoid of water while 2 wall pieces and a floor piece are constructed. This would only take three screw points if I was dealing with a single z-level of water, but I'd need ten more pumps to go down one level, and have an underwater palace. Add fifteen more pump swhen I got down the third, and there's 7 total water levels. Then there's the powering of the whole system. Every time I complete a set of walls (2 units per water level), I have to almost completely dismantle the screw pump system, one layer at a time, then shift it over one square. With that much work, why don't I just empty out the whole thing clear to the ocean floor all at once?

Unless you have a method that involves both less work and less screw pumps?
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2008, 09:30:32 pm »

Couple things to be careful of...  One) Oceans go a little crazy when they meet aquifers.  Be careful, otherwise you might be stuck with one very shallow ocean.  Two) FPS drop.  Ocean-emptying projects, by pump or by aquifer, will cause incredible hits to your FPS.  Be ready to sit through a very, very long process.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 03:49:47 am »

I was thinking more along the lines of an obsidian outer layer, courtesy of your magma.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 12:31:06 pm »

I was thinking more along the lines of an obsidian outer layer, courtesy of your magma.

So... Channel/pump magma into the ocean where I'm going to put the palace. Hollow the submerged hill of obsidian out and put the palace in it, then remove the top layer? But then the walls are made of obsidian...
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 06:57:18 pm »

Make an obsidian shell, make sure the outer walls look something like this

O-G

where - is empty space.  Collapse the obsidian walls with clever engineering, leaving a rocky foundation at the base of the fort. I have some ideas on how to collapse just the outer shell if you need them.

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2008, 08:15:11 pm »

Just as a note, I tried pumping down oceans before... one level works fine, but when I tried to pump out the second, the game nearly froze. not quite but it was far from playable, or useable even if i could let it run all day. So you'd have to carve out the bottom of the sea if you wanted an underwater fortress by pump.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008, 09:23:27 pm »

Make an obsidian shell, make sure the outer walls look something like this

O-G

where - is empty space.  Collapse the obsidian walls with clever engineering, leaving a rocky foundation at the base of the fort. I have some ideas on how to collapse just the outer shell if you need them.

Yes, please. Do tell. As I understand it, undug walls can only be affected by support busting, pick flailing or engraver work, so this is really interesting me. How would you destroy this entire obsidian shell without letting water in from the outside before hand?

Just as a note, I tried pumping down oceans before... one level works fine, but when I tried to pump out the second, the game nearly froze. not quite but it was far from playable, or useable even if i could let it run all day. So you'd have to carve out the bottom of the sea if you wanted an underwater fortress by pump.

The greatest fear of all dwarves is not the endless hoards of goblins, nor the mightiest of creatures. It is the end of the universe, by their own deity-driven will to overachieve.

------- Update -------

After a successful test of the Goblin Liquidator, I have decided to construct a twin unit. This will allow me to deal with the goblins, and let in friends at the same time. Or handle twice as many goblins as before... ;D

Sadly, we've had out first casualty today...

... despite having a war dog tied at the end of each Goblin Liquidator., a large party going on right at the only access to the stick piles, and both Goblin Liquidators being forbidden areas. Damn kids don't got no discipline, running outside after being told NOT TO!!! Little punk deserves to be fed to the demons...

---

Sadly, a blacksmith has been taken by a Fey Mood. I have no anvils yet, so he's likely loose his mind before the next caravan can bring it. I've sealed him into his room, and hope the door will at least slow him down enough to sick the dogs on him.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:17:23 pm by the_taken »

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 09:19:23 am »

First of all you have to reach the ocean floor, and dig down into it.  A section of rock will collapse if the support underneath it is mined out, but as long as there is at least one wall connecting it with the ground. common knowledge I'm sure you are aware of.
The tricky part is disconnecting the outer shell from the outer ocean floor, as you could simply channel the interior space. You could try pumping, but that's not very feasible.  If soap walls could be destroyed by water, the problem would solve itself.  So, if you could remove the ground from underneath without letting in the ocean water you would be set.  Something like
Code: [Select]
Side veiw:
WO-G
WO-G
FF-G
---S

Before you attempt to remove the first f in the third layer. Removing the floor sans flooding requires me to do some testing of how flow works, as in if a hollow step structure lets in water.  Alternatively, you could try channeling out from above, if you can manage to get a small enough area to be channeled, manage to have it all get channeled at once, don't mind losing x number of dwarves and flooding y number of layers.

Assuming inverted pyramid like structure (at least towards the bottom)
Side View
WO-F...
WWO-G...

Miner digs channels out O layer from F (floor) outer shell collapses, lower levels are flooded.  Ensure to seal bottom level of glass fortress. Placing a pick at every f tile, using military stationing settings, pausing the game and switching all victims to miners and designating the channeling might work.  If you are extremly lucky.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 10:50:50 am »

First of all you have to reach the ocean floor, and dig down into it.  A section of rock will collapse if the support underneath it is mined out, but as long as there is at least one wall connecting it with the ground. common knowledge I'm sure you are aware of.
The tricky part is disconnecting the outer shell from the outer ocean floor, as you could simply channel the interior space. You could try pumping, but that's not very feasible.  If soap walls could be destroyed by water, the problem would solve itself.  So, if you could remove the ground from underneath without letting in the ocean water you would be set.  Something like
Side veiw:
WO-G
WO-G
FF-G
---S

Before you attempt to remove the first f in the third layer. Removing the floor sans flooding requires me to do some testing of how flow works, as in if a hollow step structure lets in water.  Alternatively, you could try channeling out from above, if you can manage to get a small enough area to be channeled, manage to have it all get channeled at once, don't mind losing x number of dwarves and flooding y number of layers.

Assuming inverted pyramid like structure (at least towards the bottom)
Side View
WO-F...
WWO-G...

Miner digs channels out O layer from F (floor) outer shell collapses, lower levels are flooded.  Ensure to seal bottom level of glass fortress. Placing a pick at every f tile, using military stationing settings, pausing the game and switching all victims to miners and designating the channeling might work.  If you are extremly lucky.

This won't work. As demonstrated by the Falling Ice to Make Water demonstration, a floor tile is capable of holding up an infinite amount of mass thru direct connection (N/S/E/W/D). A wall can also hold up the floor tile above it.
To collapse this obsidian shell, I would have to remove the wall tiles beneath it, and the floor tile on the inside and outside. This would allow water to flow into the shell, drowning my dwarves before they could complete the project. Then there's the problem of digging out the floor tiles outside the shell.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 05:40:17 pm »

Dismab Regagast, the Glassmason was possessed by a fey mood. He became extremely secretive, though I figured he needed a non-magma glass furnace. I made some charcoal to power, and he immediately grabbed some, and among other, one rough cut glass piece, a bar of bismuth. He comes out a short while later with a green glass throne. I think this may have something to do with the complaints about the lack of chairs latel-DO-OuH! SHINY!
I think I'll have him continue to make chairs.

Also, that Blacksmith with the face died at some point. I don't recall seeing the message. I noticed the miasma cloud in his room though. The room has since been looted.

Progress on the Magma Channel to punch thru the aquifer is going really slow. The miners keep attending parties, as are the dwarfs assigned to digging.

Tow baby boys were born. Not at the same time, but this brings the population up to 33.

Spring of the third year has begun!

An elven caravan has arrived.

A third baby boy was born.

The first Goblin Ambush arrived today, with an import of Iron and Steel. Let the 27th of Granite mark the first field test of the Goblin Liquidator. I only whish unit2 could've been paved and ready for them on the occasion.

Also, there's some elves in the trade depot. How did they get in there?

17th Slate
I've realized a flaw in a design of the Goblin Liquidator. Drainage. Having both units in use at the same time prevents immigrants from reaching the fort. Speaking of which: the fort's population is now 50, exactly, and a little wet.

And then the game froze.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2008, 12:52:35 pm »

Don't give it up! You can do it!  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3]