Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How shall I deal with the aquifer?

Excesively elaborate srew pump system?
- 7 (21.9%)
Spiral down the outside of the magam vent?
- 6 (18.8%)
Direct some maga into it and dig thru the resulting obsidian?
- 12 (37.5%)
Search for some rock clusters?
- 0 (0%)
Go around by emptying the ocean?
- 6 (18.8%)
Import bauxite and steel to empty the magma vent?
- 1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: By Popular Demand - Vote Guided Undersea Glass Fortress  (Read 5415 times)

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: By Popular Demand - Vote Guided Fort
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 06:35:15 pm »

The wagon wheels are the newest thing - pull the ripcord and they inflate into sharkproof pontoons.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 12:51:42 pm »

Voting will end in a few days, but it looks it's going to be The Doomed Seas. Time to start the action plan.

The first thing I need to set up is guaranteed survival. With goblin neighbours and zombie whales to contend with, my first tasks are:
  • Build 2 4x4 farms below ground. To increase efficiency, we they will only bring Plump Helmets.
  • Build a well into the aquifer, where I won't be digging down.
  • Build a water based death trap that is the only entrance to the camp.

The first two are easy. The third? Not so much. I need to make sure I can chop lots of trees so that I can make windmills and barrels and beds. I 'm also going to need a fair amount of stone for the mechanisms, as I want the death trap to be reusable.

Idea: Dig a trench around a sizable area. Set up a wall over the death trap, and make it run underground as the only way past the trench. This will make it so that immigrants and traders will take longer to reach the base. Maybe some contingent draw bridges could be built for those occasions?

The Death Trap
5 wide, 15 long(?) tunnel. Ramps allow traders to bring waggons in. A draw bridge will be kept up at all times over the entrance. A draw bridge will be kept down at the other end of the tunnel. There will also be three flood gates on one side of the tunnel leading to a 5x15 area filled with water, constantly being refilled from the aquifer by three screw pumps attached to a windmill. On the other side of the tunnel will be a flood gate that empties the chamber out into the channel.

When invaders fill the tunnel, outside bridge goes down, inside bridge goes up, the three flood gates open. When the tunnels is full of dead invaders, the three flood gates are closed, and the lone flood gate opens. When the water empties out, the lone flood gate closes and the two draw bridges are reset. Thoughts?
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 04:38:16 pm »

Awww... But who could possibly say no to freezing to death in the woods during a seige?

Still, this should be fun, if it's not too tedious. Trade Depot access should be kept at all times, maybe in the tunnel itself, just in case you didn't feel like paying, or being so uncreative as to simply seize the goods... Or if you wanted added defense against ambushes. Only thing I'm not sure about is bridges blocking water, and they could always be fitted with floodgates.

Obsidian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 07:37:25 pm »

That death trap sounds great. Hopefully we'll be able to see it in action soon. ;D
Obsidian cancels common sense: Interrupted by insanity
!!carp!!

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 01:32:20 pm »

I voted for the goblin filled Forest of Acts, but by the sounds of it, the Doomed Seas would also be fun.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 11:37:21 am »

I will end the vote tomorrow. Although the Forest of Acts looks like it could win, I started playing the Doomed Seas. I really wanted to test the death trap... If the votes count determines other wise, I will shift to the winning start location, but as a treat, here is a test run of the Goblin Liquidator.

Goblin Liquidator
Components: at least one pick (more will help), an aquifer, fifteen mechanisms, three flood gates, two draw bridges, six enormous corkscrews, six pipes, four windmills, at least six sets of blocks, and ten twenty pieces of stone (or more blocks) to be reserved for fortifications

Crew: at least one of each a miner, a carpenter, an architect, a mason, a mechanic, and a goblin. More hands means faster construction. Additionally, all must be overlooked by an evil genius.

Construction Instructions:
  • Construct three levers INSIDE you fortress, and number them.
  • Dig a tunnel at most ten units wide, but long enough to contain a score of goblins, clear it.
  • Dig a small alcove into one side, three units wide and at least four units deep, with a channel at the far end, with an access tunnel to this alcove, from INSIDE your fortress.
  • Construct three screw pumps in the alcove in such a manner that they would draw water from the channel and move into the tunnel, but nowhere else (such as into the access tunnel.
  • Dig out a room that begins at the channel and extends it at least three units, then dig at channel at the far end into the aquifer.
  • Construct three screw pumps in this room in such a manner that they will draw water from the aquifer and move it toward the channel of the alcove above, but not anywhere else.
  • Build two raising draw bridges at the ends of the tunnel, so as to seal it when they raise.
  • Seal off the alcove at the tunnel with the flood gates.
  • Connect all three flood gates to Lever #3.
  • Connect both draw bridges to Lever #1
  • Connect the drawbridge that it is out side your fortress to Lever #2.
  • Dig an access channel above a screw pump in the alcove, and the room beneath the alcove.
  • Build a windmill atop these access channels, and if necessary, an axle to connect the windmills to the pumps below. If necessary, dig a third/fourth access channel two units away from the windmills that lead to a space adjacent to pumps, and construct a gearbox and axle system to connect another windmill to each set of pumps.
[li]Build a strainer (wall of of fortifications) at least five units away from the tunnel. Make the strainer is wide enough.[/li][/list]

Use Instructions: as demonstrated by a Test Run
Note: Due to a shortage of goblins, the crew unit Goblin Invader was substituted with Elven Invader for this test. The Goblin Liquidator was not designed for use on Elves. While the effects may be adequate, you may wish to acquire the Elven Bowling Alley as it is specifically designed to handle to taller, pointy eared invaders.

Step 1: When Goblin Elven Invaders enter the Goblin Liquidator, pull Lever #1

Step 2: When any and/or all Goblin Elven Invaders are safely secured inside the Goblin Liquidator, pull Lever #3.

Step 3: Take a (short) nap. Alternatively, get a drink from the far booze stock pile.

Step 4: After remembering that the Goblin Liquidator has been activated, pull Lever #3 once, and pull Lever #2 twice.

Test Note: This strainer is not wide enough to prevent refuse loss.

Test Note: Make sure not to allow citizens to leave the fortress as they may become caught in the liquidator by accident. Luckily, this test run was successful without collateral damage.
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 03:43:29 pm »

This will be made in the new version, right?

*edit* Since the new version is maybe a half hour/hour away, I'm guessing "Duh."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:25:34 am by Glacies »

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 01:21:39 pm »

This will be made in the new version, right?

*edit* Since the new version is maybe a half hour/hour away, I'm guessing "Duh."

Yes.

Voting locked! I will now begin the Doomed Seas using the newest version, as soon as I eat this taco!

Edit-> The new version has changed wold generation. The same seed won't work, but if I import the map from the old version, I won't benefit from the new features. I'm changing the poll: Import the old map to the new version, or search for a new map using the new version with a similar location?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:57:18 pm by the_taken »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 02:05:39 pm »

Seeing as there are a few crippling bugs in the new version, I would suggest just keeping the map you're on until some of them get stomped out.

But, chances are, by the time the new version gets sorted out, the ocean fort will have collapsed into mediocrity.  Then it's time to start a new fort!

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 03:32:49 pm »

Screw it. I wanna start. The new version can wait.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 04:44:20 pm »

Starting Area 9x3

Starting Biome: The Forrest of Keys (2x3)
Temperate Broad eaf Forest with Thick Vegetation
Calm Surroundings

Layers:
Sand
Loamy Sand
Silt Loam (aquifer)
Silty Clay
Rock Salt
Gneiss
Granite

Ocean Biome: The Doomed Seas (7x3)
Temperate Ocean
Haunted Surroundings

Layers:
White Sand
Conglomerate (aquifer)
Phylite
Granite

Starting Build:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tasks for Year 1:
  • Dig the tunnel for the Goblin Liquidator
  • Carve out the Food and Initial Equipment stock pile cavern, a 11x11 area. This cavern will be designated the finished goods stockpile in the second year.
  • Carve out a 12x4 area near the future food stockpile, and plop down four 4x4 farm plots.
  • Build a kitchen, a still, and a butchery adjacent to the farms.
  • If necessary, dig a moat around the entire fortress area to prevent access from anywhere but the access tunnel.
  • Begin construction of the Goblin Liquidator pumping system.
  • Begin construction of a trade depot past the Goblin Liquidator.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 08:11:16 pm »

Spring of 1051
This place was everything the brochure promised. White sandy beaches, bordering a silent forest. In the coming months, I shall direct this half-dozen, dudder-headed deurgar into a productive camp of green glass making palatial dwellers. We passed a grot infested tower on the way in, so we'll make a special greeting device for them after we get a nice hole dug out.

---

I stumbled apon an open pool of magma. I wonder how deep it is?
We should put a cover on it. Someone could fall in accidentally.

---

We've created a large tunnel from the heart of our camp to the beach. All of our supplies are now going to be brought inside.

---

We've pierced the aquifer! My, how quickly water seeps out of the ground!

---

The farms and kitchen have been built and are ready for planting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Summer of 1051
The moat has nearly been completed. I've often observed miners, but even I am surprised at the speed of which we've set-up camp. We can begin construction of the Goblin Liquidator almost immediately. But first a drink!

-------

New Poll!
With such impressive productivity, I believe that I can complete my Goblin Liquidator and trade depot way ahead of schedule. But what to make them out of?
Stone: Dig up the obsidian and make everything I can out of it, immediately.
Wood: With the discovery of the magma vent (I swore I didn't know about it!) use the wood that would have been allocated to glass making to construct the goblin liquidator. 60 logs of towercap, and a few more from digging up the channel means I have way more than enough.
Glass: Make everything possible out of glass. The screw pump, the flood gates and the bridges. Hell, next year, replace the ceiling and walls with glass and pave it with glass blocks!
Whatever: Split the work evenly. Stone blocks and mechanisms, wooden axles and windmills, glass tubes and corkscrews. The bridges and flood gates will also be 1 part of each material.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:22:29 pm by the_taken »

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
Re: By Popular Demand - Vote Guided Undersea Glass Fortress
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 03:22:02 pm »

Construction of the green glass Goblin Liquidator has begun!

Thinking ahead, how shall I deal with the aquifer?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 03:35:27 pm »

We would all love to see you empty the oceans, but that is perhaps a bit excessive, yes?

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 03:55:58 pm »

We would all love to see you empty the oceans, but that is perhaps a bit excessive, yes?

Well I'd have to do it eventually to make the glass palace.
Pages: 1 [2] 3