Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should the restrictions be on signatures?

Text signatures, one or two lines high, tops.  No images.
- 60 (15.3%)
Text signatures, 3-6 lines tall.  No images.
- 100 (25.5%)
Text signatures, 7-15 lines tall.  No images.
- 19 (4.8%)
Unrestricted text signatures.  No images.
- 15 (3.8%)
Text signatures, one or two lines high, tops.  Cap image height at ~60 pixels.
- 13 (3.3%)
Text signatures, 3-6 lines tall.  Cap image height at ~60 pixels.
- 67 (17.1%)
Text signatures, 7-15 lines tall.  Cap image height at ~60 pixels.
- 9 (2.3%)
Unrestricted text signatures.  Cap image height at ~60 pixels.
- 3 (0.8%)
Text signatures, one or two lines high, tops.  Cap image height at ~100 pixels.
- 3 (0.8%)
Text signatures, 3-6 lines tall.  Cap image height at ~100 pixels.
- 49 (12.5%)
Text signatures, 7-15 lines tall.  Cap image height at ~100 pixels.
- 18 (4.6%)
Unrestricted text signatures.  Cap image height at ~100 pixels.
- 3 (0.8%)
Text signatures, one or two lines high, tops.  Cap image height at ~150 pixels.
- 0 (0%)
Text signatures, 3-6 lines tall.  Cap image height at ~150 pixels.
- 7 (1.8%)
Text signatures, 7-15 lines tall.  Cap image height at ~150 pixels.
- 4 (1%)
Unrestricted text signatures.  Cap image height at ~150 pixels.
- 8 (2%)
Text signatures, one or two lines high, tops.  Images as big as the sky.
- 1 (0.3%)
Text signatures, 3-6 lines tall.  Images as big as the sky.
- 0 (0%)
Text signatures, 7-15 lines tall.  Images as big as the sky.
- 0 (0%)
Unrestricted text signatures.  Images as big as the sky.
- 13 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 392

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: Poll on Signatures  (Read 59620 times)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
Re: Poll on Signatures
« Reply #180 on: June 20, 2008, 05:59:55 pm »

So forcing non-logged people to see images is better than forcing them to not see them...  Not quite sure I follow.

Why wouldn't non-logged in see images? I know I want images when I surf from my parents' or the library's computer(s).

If you surf from a resource-constrained enough place then you will have images turned off anyway,
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 20, 2008, 08:26:15 pm »

Are you annoyed by not seeing images when you surf? 

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 20, 2008, 08:28:21 pm »

At the time of writing, 20:27 (-6 UTC) the breakdown of the poll is as follows:

1-2 lines text:64
3-6 lines text:188
7-15 lines text:44
unrestricted lines text:34

no images:158
some sort of image:172

~60 pixel height:78
~100 pixel height:70
~150 pixel height:15
unrestricted pixel height:10
Total Voters: 331

So far, 3-6 is winning, and if taken together "some sort of image" is winning, however taken separately "no image" is winning with "~60" coming up second.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 20, 2008, 08:35:40 pm »

Where are all these people coming from?    We can't possibly have that many users, can we? 

I didn't think we even had a hundred people on the forum... 

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 20, 2008, 08:52:26 pm »

Damn, we have an army of lurkers!

But yes, I think this thread itself caused a few people to join. Nothing like polls to get people joining.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 20, 2008, 09:06:11 pm »

We have over 4500 members. A poll more easily brings lurkers out of the woodwork since they don't have to post.

Then again, people on both sides may have registered a lot of sockpuppet accounts to inflate their chosen option. Even I wasn't expeting such a turnout.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2008, 09:20:03 pm »

The old forum had somewhere between 4072 and 4172 users (I was entering numbers to find an upper limit and started with mine, 972).  So if we now have over 4500, that means we've had roughly 400 or more sign ups since the migration.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #187 on: June 20, 2008, 09:21:56 pm »

A arge ammount of the old members are now inactive, and the new joiners probably go inactive pretty quickly, but first leave their vote.
Eh?
Eh!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2008, 09:31:37 pm »

Also true.  Plus there are the lurkers who have a log in so they can track new posts (I love that feature, one of the main reasons I wanted to migrate).

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 20, 2008, 09:31:38 pm »

• Wasted bandwidth.  10kb of waste is still wasted bandwidth
Only if you have them turned on.
You only want to deny the right to those who have them turned on, their right to waste their bandwidth. It is also up to Toady if he wants to waste *his* bandwidth. It's a non-issue for those users who don't want to waste their bandwidth.
  • Visually distracting
You only want to deny the right to those who have them turned on, their right to be visually distracted. It's a non-issue for those who don't want to be visually distracted.
  • Some will be tasteless and offensive
You only want to deny the right to those who have them turned on, their right to see things that are tasteless and offensive. It's a non-issue for those who don't want to look at things that are tasteless and offensive.
  • They are not in the spirit of the game (ASCII) nor the forums (image free since 2003)
Now you're just grasping at straws. A lot of people play the game with tiles, and graphical sprites.
By that "logic", if Toady offered people the option to change their forum theme to something that doesn't look gray, you'd try to VETO them too even if YOU get to see the forum in the way YOU want it. You just don't want OTHER people to see the forum in the way THEY want it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2008, 09:40:57 pm »

By that "logic", if Toady offered people the option to change their forum theme to something that doesn't look gray, you'd try to VETO them too even if YOU get to see the forum in the way YOU want it. You just don't want OTHER people to see the forum in the way THEY want it.

Thank you for Smoking. :)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2008, 09:51:33 pm »

Thank you for Smoking. :)

I wasn't aware that people who chose to watch signatures were watching their signature all over the non-signature crowd giving them signature-cancer, or that they raised the costs associated with health insurance spent treating some sort of signature-induced disease.

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2008, 10:42:50 pm »

You only want to deny the right to those who have them turned on, their right to waste their bandwidth. It is also up to Toady if he wants to waste *his* bandwidth. It's a non-issue for those users who don't want to waste their bandwidth.

The only bandwidth used by images on this forum are the ones hosted on Bay12games, any other image link will use the bandwidth of the host (the site that holds the image, imageshack and the like) which is where concepts like a "bandwidth bandit" come from, at least in a forum environment.

The rest of your post is incredibly strange.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 21, 2008, 02:34:16 am »

Ok, we all realize you don't agree with my opinions.  I think there was a more important part of my post where I asked for any kind of arguement in favor of signature images.  There has to be some quantitative reason why you guys want them?  Toady asked an important question no one has responded to:

Assuming image signatures are allowed, we'll just have to see, although I wouldn't mind seeing the pro-image people discuss what they think is acceptable.  How do pro-image people feel about "ad" image links to other sites, or animated images, or those meme sigs?  Is that what you're signing up for?

Besides memes and banners and attention begs, what purpose do they really serve?  What utility is provided by allowing them?  What would the pro-image camp consider unacceptable?  I was on the taleworlds forum cause I played some Mount&Blade and they had plenty of sigs... This one guy posted several times per day, I linked it before in this thread and will again: http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,39170.0.html  What exactly is that accomplishing?

Don't try and negate my opinions by refuting them or telling me I can turn them off.  Answer a couple of the questions above and try and please share with us something positive about how signature images might benefit us.

EDIT: Also on linked thread, aways down one sign image is Kudos network for his free Amazon Gift?  And a link to claim my Free Nintendo DS?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 02:37:19 am by slMagnvox »

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #194 on: June 21, 2008, 02:54:54 am »

Assuming image signatures are allowed, we'll just have to see, although I wouldn't mind seeing the pro-image people discuss what they think is acceptable.  How do pro-image people feel about "ad" image links to other sites, or animated images, or those meme sigs?  Is that what you're signing up for?

My take:
Ad type images for any for-profit ventures (solicitation, basically) should be forbidden. Something for "myminicity" or whatever wouldn't bother me.
Animated images are fine with me as long as they don't fall into the flashing, epilepsy-inducing variety.
Meme sigs are also fine with me, if the person wants to use them.

That said, I have no real strong feelings on the matter; as long as they're not utterly annoying, they don't bother me.

... http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,39170.0.html ...

EDIT: Also on linked thread, aways down one sign image is Kudos network for his free Amazon Gift?  And a link to claim my Free Nintendo DS?

Ah, thanks for pointing that particular one out. We don't accept solicitation for such things on the TW forums, so I just took that signature down.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21