Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should the restrictions be on signatures?

Text signatures, one or two lines high, tops.  No images.
- 60 (15.3%)
Text signatures, 3-6 lines tall.  No images.
- 100 (25.5%)
Text signatures, 7-15 lines tall.  No images.
- 19 (4.8%)
Unrestricted text signatures.  No images.
- 15 (3.8%)
Text signatures, one or two lines high, tops.  Cap image height at ~60 pixels.
- 13 (3.3%)
Text signatures, 3-6 lines tall.  Cap image height at ~60 pixels.
- 67 (17.1%)
Text signatures, 7-15 lines tall.  Cap image height at ~60 pixels.
- 9 (2.3%)
Unrestricted text signatures.  Cap image height at ~60 pixels.
- 3 (0.8%)
Text signatures, one or two lines high, tops.  Cap image height at ~100 pixels.
- 3 (0.8%)
Text signatures, 3-6 lines tall.  Cap image height at ~100 pixels.
- 49 (12.5%)
Text signatures, 7-15 lines tall.  Cap image height at ~100 pixels.
- 18 (4.6%)
Unrestricted text signatures.  Cap image height at ~100 pixels.
- 3 (0.8%)
Text signatures, one or two lines high, tops.  Cap image height at ~150 pixels.
- 0 (0%)
Text signatures, 3-6 lines tall.  Cap image height at ~150 pixels.
- 7 (1.8%)
Text signatures, 7-15 lines tall.  Cap image height at ~150 pixels.
- 4 (1%)
Unrestricted text signatures.  Cap image height at ~150 pixels.
- 8 (2%)
Text signatures, one or two lines high, tops.  Images as big as the sky.
- 1 (0.3%)
Text signatures, 3-6 lines tall.  Images as big as the sky.
- 0 (0%)
Text signatures, 7-15 lines tall.  Images as big as the sky.
- 0 (0%)
Unrestricted text signatures.  Images as big as the sky.
- 13 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 392

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Author Topic: Poll on Signatures  (Read 59556 times)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
Re: Poll on Signatures
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2008, 06:34:17 pm »

Seconding Elvenshae's post. Also, an argument that the naysayers overlook in their personal love affairs with myopia (man, I love these kinds of wild-swining debates, you can just generalise wildly and to hell with all elvish diplomacy!) overlook, or perhaps their dessicated souls are incapable of fathoming, is that many people express themselves in signatures, and that is one reason why we are all here: communication. So go to a Live-RPG board and you'll find spotted teens with bloodies orcs in their humonguous sig pix, or come here and you'll see clever and relatively discrete dwarf jokes.

But if you can pull out the Big Berthas and claim the SomethingAwful.com fora will claim this one, then I can call you Hitler and Goebles and Pol Pot iconoclasts, and Chinese Communists for wanting to censure, controlling information, dictate everything, and refusing to understand art and everyone's right to individuality and their own expression.

Go home to 1960 Stazi East-Germany from where you came, we don't take kindly to nazis here! Freedom-stealing terrorists!

Eh? What was that? Godwin who?!
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 19, 2008, 07:02:29 pm »

Hey, why not make signature images visible only to those who log on and activate images on signatures? Those who don't have an account or don't want to log on won't be able to see them. Make images in signatures a "premium" for having an account and logging in.

By the way. We should close this thread already. This debate isn't going anywhere and the results aren't going to change much. Those who care already voted. Those who don't probable will never get around to do it.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 19, 2008, 08:24:25 pm »

NO YOU GUYS ARE NAZIS! 
;) oh wait its over lol
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 19, 2008, 09:11:34 pm »

Elvenshae, you failed to address the key point; you provided no useful argument for sigs.  There are plenty of arguments for stickies, say; but given at least a decent chunk of the forum finds image-sigs ascetically offensive, I think it is fair to ask for a good reason why you feel they should be activated regardless.

For all the other major changes we have had when we moved to the new forum (including, say, stickies), there was extensive discussion and widespread agreement that they would be a good thing.  Image sigs, though, were specifically left out in the cold; several people specificly noted that their support for a new forum was contingent on it not having image sigs.  More than a few people, actually.  Curiously, even Draco18s noted that image sigs could be disabled.

If you want to add something to the forum that so many people are bothered by, you need a specific, convincing reason.  You have not provided one.

Seconding Elvenshae's post. Also, an argument that the naysayers overlook in their personal love affairs with myopia (man, I love these kinds of wild-swining debates, you can just generalise wildly and to hell with all elvish diplomacy!) overlook, or perhaps their dessicated souls are incapable of fathoming, is that many people express themselves in signatures, and that is one reason why we are all here: communication. So go to a Live-RPG board and you'll find spotted teens with bloodies orcs in their humonguous sig pix, or come here and you'll see clever and relatively discrete dwarf jokes.
Sigs are not, I think, the sort of communication a messageboard is for.  Actual, useful forum communication is two-way; it involves a back-and-forth and discussion, and is constantly ongoing and evolving.  When I go to a forum, I expect discussion, not the same advertisements and jokes repeated over and over again at the end of your every post.  I've nothing against a clever image or joke -- if it is posted once, in a thread devoted to it, where people can respond to it and discuss it.  Repeating it every time you post, though, is not communication; it is spamming.

It doesn't matter how clever it is.  Spamming it all over the forum at the end of your posts isn't going to make it any more clever; keeping it in its own thread where it belongs isn't going to make it any less clever.

Why do you feel it is necessary for you to post your clever sig-pic a thousand times, instead of just once in its own thread?  Why do you feel it's better to post it in the middle of dozens of other discussions about, at best, tangentially-related things?  That is the real question here.  Nobody is talking about limiting the things you express in this thread; people are talking about limiting how you express it.  Why do you feel that the best way to express your latest clever joke or image is to put it into a banner ad and spam it all over the forum?  Why do you want to use a method of communication where it is difficult, even impossible, for people to meaningfully reply to and discuss what you say?  Why would you want it on a forum of all places?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 09:28:28 pm by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 19, 2008, 09:25:01 pm »

I would concur with Aquillion. We have, again, arguments about why the quite narrow minority's view that the status quo shouldn't be changed is spurious and/or tyrannical, but we have no real effort from the quite narrow majority to make the case why adding this feature would be a good thing. The closest we get is a vague invocation of "communication" with no explanation of how an automatically appended image is fostering communication.

If you feel it fair to characterize the no-image camp as wanting nothing but to restrict everyone's freedom to look at purty pictures, do you object to a counter-characterization of the pro-image camp as advocating change quite literally for its own sake? If so, why? And if not, how is this desirable?

Elvenshae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 19, 2008, 09:52:38 pm »

Elvenshae, you failed to address the key point; you provided no useful argument for sigs.

I enjoy them.  I like having a set of useful links in the bottom of my .sigs (and others), there each time I post.  I like seeing the art others put in their .sigs (ASCII or otherwise).  I like having .sigs available as additional distinguising markers of a poster, taken together with their username and avatar.

Moreover, you've failed to provide a useful argument for the vast majority of posts on this or any other board.  If strict utilitarian worth [to you, no less!] is the only measure of value, then the DF Community Games and Stories forum and the Curses forum should be shut down.  I never read them, and I enjoy DF just fine, so they obviously contain "communication" which has no value whatsoever.  The fact that you might find value in them - as I might find value in a fellow board member's .sig - is irrelevant.

So, by your argument, we should shut down any forum that's not the bug reporting forum or a "How Do I Play?" forum - and that last category should go away as soon as there's a good manual.  After all, we'd hate to distract from the flow of actually useful information.

but given at least a decent chunk of the forum finds image-sigs ascetically offensive, I think it is fair to ask for a good reason why you feel they should be activated regardless.

Because there is a majority of voters (at the time of this post) who want images available in .sigs (an even larger majority if you discount the "1-2 lines of text, no images" votes; those people are really voting for "No sigs at all, ever").

Moreover, given that those who find them offensive can turn them off completely, without even losing the bandwidth, where is the issue?

several people specificly noted that their support for a new forum was contingent on it not having image sigs.

Several people really need to get over themselves, then.  Honestly, "I love DF, but I refuse to join the new message boards if they allow image sigs"?

Yeah, I'm gonna call BS on that one; I refuse to believe that my fellow DF enthusiasts are that shallow - especially because, again, what's the difference between a board with no sig images and one in which you never see a sig image?

Other than the fact that, heh heh, everyone's obviously thrown on a "Aquillion Sux!" image in their sigs, knowing that you wont be seeing it and that we're all secretly laughing at you behind your back, of course ... ;)

Again, you keep trying to make the argument that as soon as .sig images are allowed, everyone's going to ".sig image crazy" and there'll be animated swearwords and flashing neon signs all over the place just because we can do it, and that everyone without a .sig image will be looked down upon.

Do you really think this community is that shallow and pointless?
Patryn of Elvenshae

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 19, 2008, 10:14:29 pm »

To be perfectly honest, it's not looking all that bright and shiny at the moment.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 19, 2008, 10:23:46 pm »

Because there is a majority of voters (at the time of this post) who want images available in .sigs (an even larger majority if you discount the "1-2 lines of text, no images" votes; those people are really voting for "No sigs at all, ever").

Oh, dear. Silly me, I thought I was voting for 2-line sigs. What WAS I thinking?!? Good thing I had you here to set me straight about what I REALLY meant.

I suppose I'd best swap my vote to no-images-3-6-lines so as to not be dismissed as "beyond the pale and not worthy of having an opinion" by the likes of you. Begging your pardon, but might you please deign to notice that those wanting to eliminate sigs all together would have an opinion (if in fact that's what no-images-1-2-lines does mean)? Just as much as those wanting to add image sigs where there were none before?

Sorry, but I'm not sure why you should be chosen to speak for anyone but yourself as to what a particular person's vote means. The poll results are narrow. Very narrow. If the above sounds caustic, I apologize, but the tendency has been increasingly to paint those who want no images as selfish bullies, and the rhetoric has been getting nastier. I'm trying to keep a civil tone, so if you feel I'm failing, I beg your pardon. But please attempt to do so yourself as well.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 19, 2008, 10:41:58 pm »

I have a great argument for signatures.

THEY arE PURTY.

I also have a great one against them.

THEY HURT MY EYes

Think of them like graffiti.  If you enjoy looking at all the graffiti while on a train or something, then you should prolly vote YES for signatures.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #159 on: June 19, 2008, 11:06:24 pm »

I think people could afford to chill out at times.

There seem to be some essentially cultural differences at issue here, which is understandable given the variety of people and message boards that are out there, from usenet to the ones with one post per page surrounded by animated images.  Personally, I sympathize with the no-image camp, since, in my position as a forum-goer, I'd prefer not to deal with them.  However, in my position as the forum administrator, I think it's important that this matter be settled in the best way possible, which I'm still searching for.

Since just fewer than half of the people voting don't want to have image signatures, and it would be a significant change, and yet more than half support them at some level, an option I'm considering (please keep in mind that nothing is decided) is to allow signature images on an opt-in basis.  That is, guests would not see them, and members with a profile option checked would see them.  As he mentioned, Janus has already prepared a mod (including now the guest setting, so those browsing from keylogger-ridden public terminals don't see signature images).  Although the decision has not been made, I wanted to make sure it was technically feasible before entering the discussion.

If I have read the posts properly, this resolves all of the no-image-camp objections save two I'll discuss below, though please bring up others if I've missed them.  Omissions are not intentional.  I'm assuming for instance that the aesthetic/distraction/banner-ad objections made by no-image voters are handled by an opt-in system (please explain why this is not the case if you feel that way).  However, even among the image voters, there are likely going to be some images that are objectionable in various ways, and this also implies that there will be images that are borderline against any of those objections.  I don't anticipate that the moderation burden will be heavy, but I could be wrong.  Assuming image signatures are allowed, we'll just have to see, although I wouldn't mind seeing the pro-image people discuss what they think is acceptable.  How do pro-image people feel about "ad" image links to other sites, or animated images, or those meme sigs?  Is that what you're signing up for?  I'm assuming the votes for image were actually made by a fairly diverse group of people, and that some would like more restrictions than others, beyond the image height we've already voted on.  I'll likely need to post some guidelines if images are allowed -- I don't intend to run the entire forum on perpetual majority votes, but I think it's important to hear what people have to say.

Anyway, the two remaining no-image-camp objections that I don't think are addressed specifically by an opt-in system:

(1) the doomsday scenario objection: image signatures lead to overall "internet"-style degeneracy, signature-based elitism and other problems.

The presence or lack of signature images does not change the fact that the majority of people here are already the sort of people that support the use of signature images, whatever that means.  In that case, it seems like the doomsday scenario that's being discussed is more a matter of preventing certain of these people from having "internet" tools to act in an "internet" way, or something like that.  I think it's the case that there might be occasional disconnects as people refer to signatures that others can't see and so on, but any time over the past few years that I've been threatened with the prospect of causing a "community schism" it simply hasn't happened.  For instance, allowing DF init parameters, which people now take for granted, was supposed to destroy the community because people would be playing "different games".  This has been a non-issue.  I think everything will be pretty cool for the time being, and that, among people that use signature images here, people will generally be pretty cool about them as well.

Whether or not this forum devolves into a meme cesspool is more dependent on the people that come here than the tools available to them, and it depends on how much general moderation there is.  People can already post, which is a far more drastic ability than a signature image, and it's been fine so far.  So far, I like most of the people that play the game and post here, and I haven't needed to moderate much, though some people want me to moderate more or to take on other moderators.  If there's a sudden shift in the player base, whether or not we have signature images simply isn't going to be material with regards to the overall problem.

(2) the full forum experience objection: allowing images signatures to be optional prevents somebody from experiencing the complete content of the forum, if they turn them off because they can't stand them.

You can still see signatures in somebody's profile if you want to check them out.  The only thing you'd be missing out on is seeing them in their natural environment, which I gather isn't much of a loss considering the overall non-image preference held by the objector here, and you can flip your profile option for a bit if you want to see a particular signature in the thread (as with the avatar+sig image combination we've seen).  You aren't experiencing the forum exactly as a pro-image signature person is, but that's the point of an option, and I don't think the lack of homogeneity should be an issue.

Please let me know if I've missed anything so I can further consider this matter.  There's obviously no rush, though I would prefer if people stop picking fights and seeing the worst in people's posts.  There's no reason for this to feel like an urgent matter, as I currently understand the situation.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:11:12 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2008, 01:14:15 am »

Toady, regarding what you said about how the players behave and how the playerbase may change, I think you should draw up a set of rules and guidelines now and post them somewhere where they will be noticed by new members. So far it seems like these forums have gone by a general "don't be an idiot" rule (which I personally prefer), but the forums are growing and will need to be kept under control should things happen with us. Deciding them now would probably also prevent massive flame wars such as this one, or at least keep them down somewhat.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 20, 2008, 01:20:23 am »

I doubt it.  The kind of things it would be preventing would be highly debatable as to their "bad-ness" (I'm having a vocabulary failure, bear with me).

Eventually, it would just lead to appeals against the rules, arguments against that, more fighting, the first amendment gets mentioned, and the flames will rise up high enough for God to toast marshmallows on.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2008, 02:05:19 am »

Making a set of rules right now might be kinda like poking a sleeping bull a few times to see if it might be angry if it ever wakes up. The "don't be an idiot" concept is pretty respectful to new people in general, too. It sort of says "I don't need to tell you a list of rules; we both know how we want this forum to be, so let's just go with that." If anything I'd say that encourages people to be more polite.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2008, 06:52:03 am »

1) Opt-in sounds great to me.
2) The Full Forums Experience - I think you are a downplaying this a bit.
I recall another forum that I go to, where the option to disable animated avatars is available. Knowing how those can be really annoying, I started out disabling them, but eventually I turned them back on because:
a) There were references to the avatars that I didn't get.
b) I'm for avatars in general, because I believe they help you better recognize and remember the other people on the forum, so missing some of them was a sort of handicap.
So the overall result was that even though I don't like animated avatars in general, I do have them turned on, even though the optimal solution for me would have been that they would have been banned.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
My issues have been slain :(
« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2008, 07:19:39 am »

a) There were references to the avatars that I didn't get.
Which is easily rectified by viewing the applicable person's profile without needing to alter your account settings. Provided the people talking about the signature refer to which poster they are talking about.

Quote from: Slartibartfast
b) I'm for avatars in general, because I believe they help you better recognize and remember the other people on the forum, so missing some of them was a sort of handicap.
Which shouldn't affect things as avatars are available for your recognition-aiding. Having signatures and avatars to help with poster recognition is overkill - one or the other should provide enough visual clues to recognise who is who.

Quote from: Toady One
Whether or not this forum devolves into a meme cesspool is more dependent on the people that come here than the tools available to them
I am of the view that having image signatures would attract more of the "wrong" type of people to these forums. Having image sigs opt-in though renders this a non-issue.

I have no objection to allowing those who want image signatures to have them.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21