Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 86859 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #210 on: July 30, 2008, 06:40:39 am »

Take your time with your turns, I'm not in any hurry.
Rather the opposite, I'm on holiday for 2 weeks on Monday.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2008, 07:07:03 am »

Enjoy your holidays. :)

I need some ideas for what to do once the road is done! I can give no promises I'll pay any attention but options are always good. ;)

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 31, 2008, 07:42:02 am »

I do believe we still have plenty of sharp-toothed fish in the river, why not try to cage a few of them and put them in the Foe Flusher? That should keep you busy for a while. :P
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 31, 2008, 08:12:48 am »

Or you could rebuild the Foe Flusher so it acts as our first line of defense, by the outer wall, before the cage traps... doesn't need to be a complete rebuild, just an additional outlet or two by the main gate. Maybe the rear gate too. It's a great defence and a bit of a shame that it's not in our first line, so most of the time megabeasts and goblins get swallowed up by cages or shredded by weapon traps.

Also if you want to get elemental about it, you could combine Death By Water with Death By Fire - tether our dragon near an entrance, in some little maze-area that means that crossbow goblins can't pick it off from a distance, and let it burn our foes to cinders.

Death by Earth might be a little tricky to arrange, though, and I've got no ideas on how we can arrange Death By Air...

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 31, 2008, 10:14:40 am »

Death by Earth might be a little tricky to arrange, though, and I've got no ideas on how we can arrange Death By Air...

Which one of those is covered by building a map-wide modular ceiling?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 31, 2008, 10:21:23 am »

Enjoy your holidays. :)

I need some ideas for what to do once the road is done! I can give no promises I'll pay any attention but options are always good. ;)

Make a proper chapel for the most popular god.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 31, 2008, 11:22:58 am »

Which one of those is covered by building a map-wide modular ceiling?

While that's an awesome idea, it would technically be stone, rather than earth (though that's not saying we shouldn't do it anyway). Annoyingly there's no way to move earth, so it would really need to be a subterranean dirt-based cave-in. Also annoyingly we don't have a decent hill anywhere positioned where we can drop it on elves goblins.

Death by Air might be dropping goblins- i.e. too much air around them, drop them from somewhere. Possibly use the tower - build something similar next to it, but outside the outer walls, a bridge or two between them at the top of the Z axis, a pit channelled underneath it going to the bottom of the Z axis, filled with menacing spikes...

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 31, 2008, 05:43:27 pm »

Decided on adding to the battlements, to include the tower. :)

Journal of Kazindir Tölunkeskal Emal Savot, Captain of the Guard, Kulettögum
11th Malachite
Endok has carved an excellent engraving on one of the pillars above the tomb shafts. It's a real masterpiece rendition of a lungfish, the symbol of our original expedition. He then went and got drunk, reminiscing about capturing wildlife and chasing elephants.

12th Malachite
Endok has mandated that the current lines of traps at the outer entrances are to be dismantled and the cage traps scattered accross the wilderness where they will hopefully catch interesting animals for him to train. I've takent he opportunity to approve an expansion to the keep to allow marksdrawves a greater field of fire over the arena and western gate.

13th Malachite
A section of the keep has collapsed into the moat! It the collapse badly wounded a donkey and swept Valter and a child into the moat itself.
A rescue operation has been mounted but both are currently unconcious in the carp in fested moat so it doesn't look good for them.

14th Malachite
Valter was rescued successfully but unfortunately Atis, the child, had drowned by the time the rescue stairs were carved.

18th Malachite
The human merchants have left and a gem cutter was seen up on the western walls waving his arms around and doing a funny dance before he ran off, grabbed some fire opals and brown zircons and hid in the jewelers workshop. Very strange.

28th Malachite
The gem cutter has reemerged brandishing a fine fire opal sceptre.
Kanzududesh, "Conventskins", a Fire opal sceptre. It is encrusted with fire opan and menaces with spikes of brown zircon.

2nd Galena
Construction on the road has been mysteriously halted. The masons won;t say why, they just say they were unable to complete it so gave up....
I've told them to go back and finish the bloody road.

7th Galena
Unib Tadzon has become a legenday champion!

9th Galena
Oh dear. The childcorpse in the moat has started to produces clouds of foul miasma - why didn't anyone fish it out and bury the poor thing when they rescues Valter?

<second entry>
The new fortification construction area is now covered in vomit and whisps of a terrible stench meander through the stone blocks.

19th Limestone
The dwarven caravan has arrived the the Duchess has had the Hammerer execute a mason for failing to make her somethig o0ut of green glass. I tried explaiing to the Duchess that we had no glass of any sort and no way of getting some but...

<second entry>
On checking the paperwork I saw that the Hammerer has two licensed executions to his name so far, the above mason and Keldor, sometime in 1058 last year. I was never told about that!

28th Limestone
Dresdor is still drinking. A lone woodcutter called Wulfgar arrived today - apparently he had arrived just before the short lived nutter whose ashed are now at teh top of the tower was struck by lightning and promptly left to tell the mountainhomes what happened. He's now busy making a barrel.

6th Sandstone
Dresdor has walked past the trade depot twice now, I think he is trying to build up suspense.

10th Sandstone
Trading has happened!

13th Sandstone
A dog waiting to be trained found a kobold theif today. With a couple of wardogs nearby, it was quickly eaten.

5th Timber
A gem cutter has somehow managed to be badly wounded by an alligate hatchling. A hatchling!

10th Timber
A butcher gave birth to a baby girl a the front gates today. Doesn't strike me as the best place to give birth but needs must I suppose.
The gem cutter who lost a fight with a hatchling has also bled to death by the road construction works.

I'm playing with 39e, so have been reading all the engravings. Keldor, if it's any consolation for your brutal hammering death quite a few of the engravings celebrate your rise as leader in 1051 (I guess thr founding of the fortress).

I also noticed a potentially epic story of love and betrayal set against the background of a salt mine gone madde!

Kazindir had for the first few years a lover called Solon Atticace, one of the original melee squad dwarves. She died at some point, I had assumed during one of the rather messy goblin attacks the fortress has had. Harsh but thats what you get for living in carp infested salt mines.
However on checking some of the engravings on Kazindir's new tomb I saw this next to the door:

"Engraved on the wall is a superiorly designed image of Solon Atticace the dwarf and dwarves by Oddom Alathilum. Solon Atticace is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the rise of the dwarf Solon Atticace as an enemy of The Ordered Board in the late winter of 1053."

Bearing in mind that The Ordered Board is the name of the group of dwarves who founded the fortress....what happened here! No wonder Kazindir doesn't really care about anything any more. :o

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 01, 2008, 01:19:59 am »

Hrmm... maybe Solon went into a fey mood, failed and went berserk?  Can't think of why else she'd end up as an enemy...

By the way, look in the justice screen and see who the "injured party" was for Keldor.  I'm SURE Jools had something to do with it...

Do we have an "incoming king" yet?  I have the most wonderful idea for revenge...

Oh yeah, this would make a second time Valter has been "given" a bath in the moat  e.e

See to it that Endok survives...  I have the most wonderful plan for him...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 01:34:35 am by Keldor »
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 01, 2008, 04:10:20 am »

<looks innocent>

I suggest that this fortress is cursed! Those who lead it are destined to be tragically killed for pointless reasons. "Jools" Dodokkir, allegedly drowned in an "accident". Aardvark, struck by lightning. Valter, almost drowned. Keldor, hammered. Kazindir is regularly sent out in the front line to repel whatever attacks are made on this fortress, and one day he will surely take on more than he can handle. dresdor, well, everybody wants to kill him for lollygagging about when there's trading to be done. Omega's time will come... especially if he keeps hanging about near carp.

Have I missed anyone?

As you see, this place is CURSED!

As for the King, at the end of my turn we needed a few thousand coins more of road, and 5000 of tribute...

<on edit> Not guilty, yerronour. 'Twas the Duchess Consort who ordered the Hammering of Keldor. The demands of the incoming King are still the same, a couple of thousand more coins worth of road, and 5000 of tribute (though any would be a start). Some good clothing should handle most of the latter.

Oh, and I note with displeasure the failure to complete any of my three mandates. Goddammit we need floodgates, billon items and crossbows! </edit>

<another edit> Endok is fine, however. He's ecstatic and has only been annoyed by flies and miasma lately - oh and the loss of a friend, probably Keldor. His election as Mayor is odd though as "he never speaks out or attempts to direct activities"... </another edit>
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:27:35 am by Jools »

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 01, 2008, 07:52:30 am »

By the way, look in the justice screen and see who the "injured party" was for Keldor.  I'm SURE Jools had something to do with it...

Do we have an "incoming king" yet?  I have the most wonderful idea for revenge...

I'll recheck when I get home from work but if I'm remembering correctly it was the duchess consort Asteth - Jools is the "spare" duke consort, although I've no idea what happened to the duke.

(/edit Oops, to slow. :) )

I'm not sure if the King is going to arrive - when the roads are finally finished that should more than do for the required road value however offering doesn't seem to work. I offered 6kish worth of random decorated clothes (dwarf and narrow, I don't know why people insist on decorating goblin clothes) to the dwarf traders but the number required by the King didn't change. I've never had a King before so I'm not sure how it works, might only change the next time the caravan arrives? (EG when the caravan comes back and says "yes, the King was mightily amused by his pig tail socks decorated with an image of a lungfish in bonobo leather. He suggests however that encircling socks with bands of rock salt is not a very good idea.")

/edit Incidentally, check Dresdor's info, one of the things it says is about him being prone to procrastination - all is explained!

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 01, 2008, 10:02:48 am »

As I recall, the FIRST duke went insane during my last rule because I didn't manage to get his quarters engraved fast enough.  Poor guy starved himself to death in the statue garden.

I guess the duchess consort needed some excuse for revenge...

This is getting interesting indeed...

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 01, 2008, 08:54:22 pm »

It is done!  ;D

Journal of Kazindir Tölunkeskal Emal Savot, Captain of the Guard, Kulettögum

25th Timber
My tomb was completed today. It's good to have a proper resting place. I had a new tomb room dug below the existing tomb shafts and placed my tomb adjacent to that.

28th Timber
Mandates seem to be slipping past us without being fufilled, although the nobility appear to be in a state of near permanent ecstasy regardless. The Duchess Consort Ashtesh still does not recognise that her warhammershave been constructed, even though I've personally verified that no less than 12 warhammers have been produced since she demanded them.

2nd Moonstone
Stinthad Taronmothkat, siege engineer, has been killed by the Hammerer for failing to make Asteth some tin items, even though we have no tin. Not sure why he picked a siege engineer, it's not like tin is much use for building siege engines out of.

9th Moonstone
I was having a look at some of the new engravings in the old barracks today and one of them is and engraving of a masterful engraving done by Endok last year. It's quite nice but someone strikes me wrong about carving an engraving of a masterpiece engraving which isn't also a masterpiece.

10th Moonstone
I've decided everyone needs to learn how to swim, to avoid any more drowning accidents. This means we need a safeish swimming pool and unfortuately everyone is rather busy build roads and fortifications. I'll pull Fath off masonry and put him back on mining duty again, he knows what he is doing so I hope he won't cause a cave in...

11th Moonstone
Killed an alligator out by the road construction today. I've bet Endok no one will pick it up and butcher it.

14th Moonstone
Endok had a fight with an elephant in the jungles today. The elephant ran off and he got away with a scratched arm. I've sent the new marksdwarves off to have a look around the area, see if they can hit a small target like an elephant...

18th Moonstone
Well, the recruits went for a run in the jungle, saw some elephants and chased them for a bit but forgot to actually shoot any. One of them is now very sulky, he doesn't like flies.
Not a complete waste of time though, as Endok found a kobold thief near a cage trap and the leader of the new recruits managed to shoot it in the leg

Meanwhile a goblin child snatcher announced his presence by blundering into a cage trap to the north.

22nd Moonstone
An ambush! Curse them!
An ambush of 3 goblin wrestlers, a pikeman and a "guard", found by a hunting dog to the south. By Armok, what were they thinking.

<second entry>
Aha, thats their game. Another group sighted on the bridge to the north, setting off traps.

<third entry>
Endok's traps littering the jungle are really working well, a third group of goblins just found a cage trap between the bridge and the outpost. That group features crossbowgoblins, time to pull the civilians inside!
The marksdwarves are fully roused to deal with the north and we're off to deal with the south. he plan is to meet in the middle somewhere.

<Fourth entry>
The southern goblins are disposed of. The moat runs red with goblin blood, as quite a few body parts landed in it, attracting the carp.
Cog, one of the champions, has a goblin head now and keeps making bad jokes - "looks like he lost his head in all the excitement!"

<Fifth entry>
When we got near the bridge the marksdwarves looked like they'd definitely been busy from the northern fortifications and the great tower. Dead goblins litter the bridge and the bottom of the tower!
They weren't all gone though and neither had their will to fight either but it's pretty much just a mopping up exercise.

<Sixth entry>
The goblins are all dead on thje bridge now, I don;t think any escaped. We're going to check the road and outpost just to be sure.

<seventh entry>
No goblins, but we found an elephant lurking by the outpost. Killed it for a celebratory dinner back in the fortress! What an exciting day.

26th Moonstone
The haulers are hard at work cleaning up after the goblins and I've done an injury check. From what I can see we suffered only one casualty and that was a horse, someone's pet they left standing around on the bridge. Of the sighted goblins, we took three prisoner and the rest were killed.

Cog has mounted his "spare" head on the battlements at the bridge. I'm not sure how long it will take to decay but it should be a nice warning for any future goblins.

3rd Opal
Ongasodux, one of our veteran wardogs has died of old age.

5th Opal
Excellent, Ingiz took my comments on board and has just completed a masterpiece engraving in the dining room!
Engraved on the wall is a masterfully designed image of Endok Drilledpulleys the dwarf by Ingiz Dallithavuz. Endok is engraving. The artwork relates to the masterful engraving "The Petal of Reticence" created by the dwarf Endok for the Ordered Board at Abbeyverse in the late winter of 1058.

12th Opal
The goblins are active this winter!
One of Endok's cages inside the outer wall caught a goblin with a sack today.

13th Opal
Work has been halted on part of the road to the west because there is a dead lungfish on it. How it got there and why it can;t just been chucked out of the way I don't know, but the masons refuse to work any more until it is moved, Some of the peasants think it is a bad omen, as a lungfish is our symbol.

Then again, some of them think it is a good omen.

20th Opal
For the love of Armok!
Astesh has just had one of our best marksdwarves executed for failing to make her warhammers. We've had dozens of bloody warhammers made and why kill a marksdwarf?!

27th Opal
One of the fortress guard has starved to death in the tomb shafts. He looked otherwise uninjured so I'm not sure what happened - it's not like he couldn't have walked up and eaten some of our vast stockpiles of roasts. If I rememeber correctly this isn't the first time someone has died mysteriously in the tomb shafts either...

I've made those shafts a restricted area. If you are not actually going to bury someone then you have no business being down there anyway.

1st Obsidan
A guard was found dead this morning, suffocated...

2nd Obsidian
Now one of the toughest Royal Guards, who had been laying up for a few weeks with a leg wound, is throwing a tantrum.

<second entry>
Hm, apparently it's not much of a tantrum, someone just gave her a plump helmet and survived unscathed.

6th Obsidian
One of the farmers wants to try growing strawberries  under the north catapult. He says it should be nice and sheltered but still sunny enough to make them grow, and the do make good wine.

14th Obsidian
Endok was quite morose today as he realised that most of the people he had known here had died here. He's decided to have a personal tomb built in the new area, so when the time comes he can at least rest comfortably amongst his friends.

16th Obsidian
A fisherdwarf got overconfident today at the river bank and has paid the price. The river runs red with blood as the carp and milkfish reach a feeding frenzy.

((I counted that he had been turned into 1 corpse, 1 a right calf and 31 dwarf chunks. Yes, 31, thats not a typo! :o ))

17th Obsidan
This has been a dark winter. Sakzul Alathdakas, a champion Royal Guard finally succumbed to his wounds and bled to death today. He had been wounded in a sparring accident over a year ago and has been bed ridden since.

21st Obsidian
Otsmautok the wardog died of old age today.
In lighter news the miners found some clusters of fire opals and moss agates down in the depths.

28th Obsidian
My term as overseer is almost up again. Progress on the swimming pool is going well but it will not be finished for some time yet, so will fall to another to either finish or abandon as they see fit. Endok's tomb is mined out and undergoing smoothing but again still needs finishing. His electrum coffin might even be forged one day if the metalsmiths stop lollygagging about.

I almost killed Astesh after she managed to get 3 good dwarves executed due to her being stroppy - we have loads of warhammers now but none of the were good enough for her. However she woke up and wandered off and then started being followed around by her daughter all the time, curses! :P

I removed most of the traps at the outer wall to make things more interesting.
There are still a few cage traps there and the traps at the Foe Flusher are untouched at the moment, though I was thinking of removing them all and just having a coupe of stonefall traps scattered around instead. I have to sat the large goblin ambush I got in winter was great fun, it;s a lot more entertaining when yuo have to get your dwarves out to bash goblins, rather than miss the fight and only notice because you notice mounds of goblin bodies stacking up in your refuse pile.

Besides, uless the Hammerer keeps going the military and defenses we have without the traps seem more than adequate by themselves. :D

Anyway:

Save
Map - Now will loads of points of interest!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 09:06:00 pm by Kazindir »

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2008, 02:43:23 am »

Alright!  I'll see if I can get started on it tomorrow morning.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2008, 05:22:02 am »

Nice! I like what you've done with the place. The overwatch span is a good idea, and the roads are looking good.

And I love the modification to Asteth's room. Can we find some way to have her bed only held up by a support, and then collapse it into her tomb when she's asleep? That or dump the Hammerer's hammer. Casualties to goblins I don't mind, but casualties to stroppy consorts demanding ever more war hammers is just going too far.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 70