Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 86840 times)

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #195 on: July 28, 2008, 05:28:26 am »

That's very difficult to do now we have the shiny new bridge. Unless you're doing something suicidal like fishing.

Could just be the fort running crazily slow. It really isn't quick, and a lot of stuff happens - if you're writing up pretty much anything that catches your eye (like I do) then it can take ages to get through even a month.

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 28, 2008, 06:24:46 am »

I LIVE!

Jools is right. Pausing to check what's going on, trying to find out what the hell got changed in the price table, where Dresdor is and why he isn't at the depot, and designating new beds (we had a slight gap in the living quarters), plus getting up to only 25FPS when unpaused makes for a bit of a slow ride (I could actually SEE goblins flying after being hit by the hammerdwarves).

Plus I got a rather time-intensive assignment last week. Got it finished friday, so today I'll get to work a bit earlier and finish the year so I can give you guys the save. Things shouldn't change too much, I'm too afraid of pulling any levers.  :P
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 28, 2008, 08:08:06 am »

The one by the waterwheels (same z-level) is linked to the drawbridge across the river. There are a couple of levers by the arena, one for the door and one for the cages (not currently linked to any). The lever just north of the arena in a little room is for the main entrance drawbridge. The levers by the Foe Flusher floodgates (same level as the floodgates, one each side) are linked to the appropriate floodgates (or possibly not, I might have forgotten to do this, but at least they aren't linked to anything else. Upthread I think Kazindir has listed where the lever is to turn off the pumps for filling the Foe Flusher.

Is it worth upgrading to 39e and putting some notes in, so that nobody gets lost? Or should we just encourage the chaos, and end up with e.g. random levers that flood the siege workshops for no apparent reason?

Oh, and I vote we find a way to just cage dresdor when he's not trading, and then seal him in the depot with the Elves/Dwarves/Humans when he's needed there...

Anyway, good to see that you're not missing in action, Omega.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 28, 2008, 08:24:03 am »

Cool - I'm now imagining any goblin fights to be a bit like the final battle of 13th Warrior now, all slow motion and people going "ROOOWAARRRRRR" (again, in slow motion) and flying across the place. :D

The lever 1 z-level under the trade depot (right dead central under it) was connected to both floodgates for the foe flusher. I've no idea what happens if you connect multiple levers to the same thing though, so Jool's meddling ( :p ) may have turned it into a Lever of Doom(TM), the pulling of which will end the world. Or it do nothing. Or the same as it originally did, I dunno!
The lever just to the north of that one, outside the little room under the trade depot but on the same z level is the one that opens/closes the floodgate at the top of the pump tower.

Do we still have zillions of elephants, dogs and cats? Caging/slaughtering them might help if we do.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 28, 2008, 08:26:29 am »

Oh and the lever in the little muddy cave on the first z level underground is linked to the floodgate that sits in the channel between the pond and the river. It's not much use really, only for if you (for some reason) want to drain the top level of the little bit outside the walls put things there. (EG carp traps?)

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 28, 2008, 08:37:37 am »

A dare for anyone who cares to try it (I have no idea what will happen): Pull one of my levers for the floodgates. Then pull Kazindir's double-floodgate-reset lever. I have a depressing feeling that it will just open the other floodgate, and then close them both, but I can hope that it toggles them and merely changes which direction the Elves in the system are "accidentally" getting swept away.

I started work on a dedicated carp trap over by the bridge - as I remember it needed a floodgate and some lever linking to work, plus maybe one more tile channelled away.

Allegedly you need to have an animal training area very close to where the carp was caught, so it can be removed, trained, and replaced before it drowns. There's some thread over in Dwarf Mode that explains it (LoOk OuT fOr ThE oNe WiTh ReAlLy AnNoYiNg CaPiTaLiSaTiOn) - and then I can have a pet carp to go with my hydra and dragon. N.B. if we do get any more megabeasts please please trap them - I'd love a dragon breeding programme...

Oh yeah and if you see any glass terraria/aquaria then buy them as we don't have any sand to make our own.

<edit> Forgot to mention that the non-pet animals are already caged (by species) so they can breed and ideally get eaten without demanding processing power for pathing routines. </edit>
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:45:40 am by Jools »

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 28, 2008, 06:29:03 pm »

Just finished my turn! I'll upload it as soon as I get back home!

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 28, 2008, 08:19:57 pm »

Journal of Endok 'Omega' Nomaletost, Temporary Administrator and official Fortress Think Tank

2nd Sandstone, 1058

I just found out we have far too many animals, especially horses. Sent two dozens of them to the butchers, I hope that will help unclog the passages underground. The refuse piles are almost overflowing with manure!

5th Sandstone, 1058

We also have lots of levers. I've found a note from one of the previous administrators explaining what each lever does, but it was so confusing that I I'm going to talk to Keldor, who used to be one the leader until he got tired of it and decided growing food was more interesting.

8th Sandstone, 1058

I think I got Keldor confused. Will talk to Kazindir as soon as he wakes up.

9th Sandstone, 1058

Where the hell is Dresdor?!

10th Sandstone, 1058

The Duke Consort wants more floodgates. Actually, he's been looking pretty mopey lately. I've told the masons to engrave his bedroom and dining room, and to build two more weapon and armour racks for him. That should cheer him up.

11th Sandstone, 1058

Yikes! The Duchess Consort is even worse! All engravers have been sent to work there before she starts throwing things at people. We don't want anyone being hit by fast-flying rock salt furniture, after all.

15th Sandstone, 1058

Dresdor finally showed up at the depot!

16th Sandstone, 1058

Dresdor reports he pretty much gave all that goblin clothing away, getting a lot of meat and some cheese in return. I really can't blame him for the deficit, we get goblins in a regular basis, so we have a near-constant supply of free narrow clothing walking towards our traps and champions. As a nice side-effect, the traders left really happy even though all they got was a bunch of stuff they can't wear either.

17th Sandstone, 1058

I was going to ask Dresdor about what we should ask for the next caravan, but he went to sleep a minute before I could catch him. Figures.

The goblin bodies on the refuse piles are rotting nicely. I wonder if the marksdwarves need any more bone bolts.

18th Sandstone, 1058

Yup, they do need as many bone bolts as they can get. Bone carvers, to work!

(second entry:)

Finally talked to Kazindir today. He has no idea of what lever does what, only that the levers besides the floodgates by the entrance activate the "Foe Flusher". The name sounds funny, but I'm steering well clear from any water-based shenanigans.

(third entry:)

Question: why are there lines of traps by the entrance of Duke Consort Jools' room?! I almost got hit by a huge iron hammer when I entered to supervise the engravers!

(fourth entry:)

Just told the miners to dig a new area for shops besides the old ones. I've been reading a lot about a thing called "capitalism". Sounds like a great idea!

19th Sandstone, 1058

We have struck Plume Agate!

Why am I writing this here...?

24th Sandstone, 1058

I was walking near the bridge today when one of our War Dogs found a goblin snatcher. A couple seconds of furious combat later the goblin was dead and the dog walked away unharmed. I have named him Rulasmlusspu, or "Musclerazor", and taken it for myself.

Now I just need to figure out how to make it follow me around.

25th Sandstone, 1058

Kogan Sazirbakust, a carpenter, just entered a fey mood!

28th Sandstone, 1058

Good news! Our nobles are happy with their accomodations! Hopefully that will mean less weird requests.

The miners report they've found Lignite at the corner of the new shopping area. I've taken care to designate the new shops in such a way there's plenty of space for the miners to reach the vein in case we need it in the future.

5th Timber, 1058

There was a huge commotion outside. Apparently, someone found a kobold thief skulking around. No harm done, he was just shooed away before the military guys took notice.

6th Timber, 1058

The fey carpenter just finished his creation! Olin Zarut, "The tongs of Insanities", an artifact tower-cap barrel adorned with silk, pig tail and cave lobster shell. At last, something useful out of a fey mood!

9th Timber, 1058

Jools now wants billon items. Luckily, we seem to have some in stock.

Despite never being on time, Dresdor turned out to be good with money. Of the ten shops we have so far, he owns 7 of them!

13th Timber, 1058

Scratch that, Dresdor owns eleven out of fourteen shops in the fortress. I've talked to him about "capitalism" and as I expected he fully supports the idea.

6th Moonstone, 1058

Nothing's been happening lately except lots of butchering. Spent the past few weeks at the bridge, watching carps mauling alligators.

11th Moonstone, 1058

A kobold thief was caught by our two axe lords and got sliced to bits. We needed five haulers to bring the remains to the refuse pile.

12th Moonstone, 1058

I just took a close look at the noble quarters, and the engravers did a really good job in it. I've also talked to the duchess and the consorts, and they seem to be pretty happy about it. Finally, all is well in Kulettögum!

22nd Moonstone, 1058

A fisherdwarf has been attacked by carp! Not sure of the outcome yet, but I've sent the marksdwarves to see if they can help.

No use, Ast Coglîlar is dead and once again the river is red with dwarven blood. I'll keep the marksdwarves stationed at the new bridge for the time being.

25th Moonstone, 1058

I'm told we don't have any empty barrels for booze and we can't make more because there's no wood. Told the woodcutters to have some fun between the inner and outer walls. Plenty of trees there.

Looking again, those trees look dead. The accidental floods really did some harm to the surroundings. I hope all that mud will dry up one day.

4rd Opal, 1058

I just found out some of my fellow dwarves still don't have their own bedrooms. I've told the miners to carve a few new rooms in the living quarters level. I think we have enough spare beds for it...

13th Opal, 1058

Hahah! Zalěsvúsh the killer carp has been struck down by our marksdwarves! Our fishermen are avenged!

15th Opal, 1058

Rith Kibgikut (a peasant, thankfully) was eaten by an alligator (what he was doing outside is beyond me. I've told everybody to stay within the fortress walls!). Kazindir and his squad have been sent to investigate the area.

And the alligator (briefly named Asiztathat) was promptly hacked to bits by Kazindir himself.

17th Opal, 1058

I'm watching the long procession of dwarves coming and going, retrieving Rith's body and belongings. All those people in a line, each carrying a single article of clothing of the deceased...

It looks a bit ridiculous, really.

1st Obsidian, 1058

The last month of my administration begins!

Aaaand it seems I forgot to tell the dwarves to furnish the new bedrooms. My bad!

(third entry:)

One of the new guards (assigned them last month) bled to death today. We assume it was a sparring accident involving axes that were a little bit too sharp, so no one has been accused of murder. Bad beginning for my last month...

2nd Obsidian, 1058

And that injured fish cleaner is still walking around!

4th Obsidian, 1058

The food stockpiles are getting a bit too full. I've ordered the cooks to do something about it.

5th Obsidian, 1058

I think I've done a pretty good job so far, so I think it would be fair to ask for a new room. The duchess likes the idea, so the miners started digging a small room (for a noble, that is) right besides the Duke Consort's room.

6th Obsidian, 1058

I hope it'll all be finished before the end of the month...

Stonecrafter kicked everybody out of a crafts workshop. Let's see what comes out of it.

9th Obsidian, 1058

I am proud to report the new bedrooms are finished. We are two doors short, though, so I have ordered a few more built.

16th Obsidian, 1058

The mason has come up with "Lashtakes the Taut Mastery", a very nice diorite flute decorated with Aluminum, Fire Opals, Plume Agate and a few other pricy things. I bet it will fetch a very nice price if it ever goes on sale.

18th Obsidian, 1058

My room is ready! A rubber tree bed (very comfortable), a table, a throne, plus a weapon rack, an armour rack, a coffer, a cabinet and two statues, plus engravings of hydras on the walls. I am very satisfied with the engravers' work!

20th Obsidian, 1058

Uvash Ustuththiz just became a hammerlord! It's good to know we have such competent people in our fortress guard (accidental throat-rippings and lethal haemorragies notwithstanding)!

24th Obsidian, 1058

The work orders are piling up. Where's Dresdor to authorize them?

28th Obsidian, 1058

The new leader arrives tomorrow, so my administration comes to an end. Admittedly, I didn't build much, but at least I gave people new bedrooms and made the nobles happy. I hope the next administrator will enjoy the way I've kept things.

If anyone needs me, I'll be at the bridge.

(OOC: only two seasons, but it was fun. :D

Here's the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=361

Also, whoever comes up next, be sure to check the top of the tower! :P

Add me to the list again!)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:28:50 pm by Omega2 »

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 29, 2008, 03:50:25 am »

Cool! Good to see I finally got a room sorted, I have to admit neglecting my own needs when running the fort, in favour of building bridges and towers and so on.

Those maul traps in my room were built for two reasons - firstly, to stop uppity Legendary Planters from storming in to my room and demanding stuff (;-P) and secondly to try and discourage miners from rushing in and informing me of every single new rock type they encountered while digging out the bottom level. They're timed so that you ought to be able to dodge them if you're not rushing in to my chambers without permission...

There's tons of untainted forest on the far side of the bridge if anyone fancies pissing off the elves, though it's a bit dangerous with all the alligators etc. It might be a good plan to wall off a decent chunk of it, while one of the squads guards the workers.

Anway, great work? Any chance of a map?

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 29, 2008, 04:07:03 am »

ou know you jinxed it by saying all was well though, as soon as you did that the river ran red with blood again! :)

If Sheb is still holidaying I'll have a look at the fortress tonight. What version are we using now, the one we started with or the latest?

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 29, 2008, 06:29:48 am »

Hey, my administration was so boring compared to some so far... there had to be SOME action!  :P

I've played using 39C. Can't give you guys the map, mostly because I haven't quite figured out how to use DFMA and the converter tool yet.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 29, 2008, 08:24:25 am »

Don't worry, I'll grab the save this evening and stick a map up if Kazindir doesn't beat me to it. Just so we can see the shiny new stuff, and stick in some nice points of interest (like the charred remains of Aardvark, on top of the tower...)

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 29, 2008, 07:25:11 pm »

Phew, yeah it's not the speediest of fortresses anymore is it.  ;D
Spent the evening playing and got halfway through summer, ahem.

Journal of Kazindir Tölunkeskal Emal Savot, Captain of the Guard, Kulettögum

1st Granite, 1059
Our official Philosopher, or think tank as he likes to call himself, has decided to step down as overseer and stand on the bridge pondering the inner meanings of the uncontrollably growing numbers of plump helmets. A worthy problem if ever there was one.
In any case I've had a look around to see if anything particularly urgent needs doing but it seems we're relatively crisis free for a change. The King wants more roads and we're out of fuel for the forges completely but I guess those can both be solved at the same time.

3rd Granite
Walked past the animal cages today and they're stuffed full, the cages groaning under the pressure. That can't be safe and I'm hungry, so I've ordered a nmber of the strays to be slaughtered and turned into good dwarven pies.

5th Granite
Following conversations with the other previous overseers there seems to be a rather confused lever problem going on by the surface. To check the Foe Flusher, I pulled the master lever under the trade depot - it seems it still works wonderfully!

<second entry>
Hm, maybe I wrote to soon. That lever opens the gates sure enough but pulling it again seems to do nothing. I wonder if those spare elvers need to be pulled now? Meanwhile the entrance hallways is completely flooded and will be until this can be sorted out.

6th Granite
Ok the levers by the floodgates themselves didn't seem to help. Standing a peasant next to the master lever and tellign him to wiggle it for a day or s seemed to work though!
The length of time the Flusher was running caused the moat to overflow a little but it's nothing major - soggy ground has got soggy aroudn the edges again.

I've no idea whats wrong with the mechanisms. Still, as long as they open promptly thats the important bit, closing them can be done at leisure.
The fortifications near the floodgates themselves still get soaked so I've ordered their replacement with walls.

10th Granite
Goden Ekircatten, one of the Axe Lords, is chasing a cat around the outer part of the fortress.

13th Granite
An elven diplomat has been sighted. No merchants, just a lone elf. Wonder what he wants.

<second entry>
Just realised we've been on duty for longer than I can remember, so I've stood down all the squads. Time for a drink!

16th Granite
The elf is navigating the knee height water at the entrance now, beneath the foe flusher. Well, knee height for him. He's taking his own sweet time about it though.

17th Granite
the elven caravan has been spotted as well now, meanwhile the elf is wandering around the central hall near the dining room. Is she hungry?

18th Granite
The elf has found the duchess and her herd of donkeys. They have much to discuss. It seems the elves are partial to the trees around the salt mines in particular and are loathe to spare even a single branch to our senseless slaughter.

Apparently the elves think they know what senseless slaughter is. The Duchess told them to sod off and pointed out that most of the trees within the walls were dead anyway due to certain aquatic phenomena particular to the region, (specifically the region directly under the Foe Flusher, I guess). The elf diplomat...left. What a wimp.

<second entry>
Meanwhile the elf merchants have arrived and Dresdor is sleeping. The Duchess has prohibited the export of querns, perhaps fearing her quern is to be sold and the Duchess Consort Astesh has mandated the production of warhammers, now theres a dwarf I'm going to like. I headed off to the forges to put in that warhammer order and noticed the enormous amount of tallow we have. Those cooks had better get busy!

22nd Granite
Dresdor is having a drink.

A tigerman was spotted to the north

The Duke Consort Jools has altered the price of goods. Which ones we don't know.

26th Granite
A novice cook is busy making several barrels of decidedly dodgy looking meat into "lavish" meals. I think we'll give those to the elves next year. 

Meanwhile Dresdor is attending a meeting with the Mayor.

29th Granite
Sakzul Alathdaka has become a legendary champion! Drinks are on him!
Meanwhile the elves are still waiting and Dresdor has become bogged down in paperwork for finishing off the rear wall of the Foe Flusher.

4th Slate
Dresdor has announced he's on his way to the trade depot!

The Duchess herself has decided to lend a hand tearing down a wall section to replace with fortifications. Thats the sort of hands on noble we here like to see, obviously been taking hints from the Dungeon Master.

5th Slate
Dresdor reports he's bought a load of booze, a jaguar and a chimpanzee from the elves. Oddly, he also says one of their counter offers includes a horse leather coat, that sounds rather unelflike...

17th Slate
The elves loudly announced they'd be leaving soon. I don't know why they haven't left already, we've done our trading.

18th Slate
A metalsmith, Ilral Eralalmish has starved to death whilst in jail. Seems no one could be bothered to bring her any food even though we have vast stockpiles of food.

3rd Felsite
All the masons seem to be skiving off somewhere, nothing is being built.

7th Felsite
A fresh wave of migrants has arrived. Omega has fiddled with the prices of things in the shops and I've gone off hunting alligators. I'm sure the migrants will work out whats what themselves.

9th Felsite
It was 10 migrants. No-one particularly noteworthy but they've all got stuck in which is good to see.

17th Felsite
The route for the road is plotted out now and cleared of stray alligators, but we're a bit far from the fortress over here.

20th Felsite
Alas we have become too suited to the warm underground, as the outdoor road building activities has left the outside areas of the fortress soaked in vomit.

15th Hematite
The human caravan has arrived along with a diplomat. He'd better not be here to talk about trees.

16th Hematite
Etur Cattenestun, one fo the speardwarves, was found dead in the tomb today. Looked like he'd starved to death. What was he doing down there in the first place?

18th Hematite
Bomrek's long reign as Mayor is over. He was a popular dwarf but no match for Endok Monangbesmar, who for some reason decided he wanted a go at being Mayor. He must have got bored engraving.

20th Hematite
Dresdor is finished trading. He bought the entire caravan except for some toys and items of clothing too big for dwarves (why do the humans bring that stuff anyway?) in exchange for some trinkets and a fine array of quarry leaf, plump helmet and meat roasts. Dresdor was especially pleased about buying some seahorse and spotted wobbegong meat. I have no idea what a spotted wobbegong is and I suspect he doesn't either, should prove interesting once cooked anyway.

22nd Hematite
Put in several large orders for rock salt blocks today as we're almost out and the road will need many more yet. Also started construction on a small outpost/guardtower/place-to-keep-the-rain-off-your-head near the edge of our lands where the road will pass and already a freshly trained mason has managed to brick himself into a small ledge. It won't take wagons but then caravans have guards and tents and things, it's small groups and lone travellers looking for refuge that this place is aimed for.

23th Hematite
The Duchess emerged from her meeting with the human diplomat rather confused. All he said was that there was much to discuss, that we'd carved out a pleasant place for ourselves and farewell. That was it. At least the elves managed to ask something, even if it was silly!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 07:43:18 pm by Kazindir »

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 30, 2008, 12:18:15 am »

Endok is now Mayor??  The halfwitted mason and elephant trainer?  This could be fun :D  I wonder if he'll want to try his hand at training something more exotic now, like carp or something...?
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 30, 2008, 04:12:26 am »

Endok is Mayor? Cool!

No offence to other previous Mayors, obviously, but you'd have to be crazy to run a fortress like this, and Endok's elephant-related antics prove him to be well qualified for the job.

Though I am slightly disappointed to note your trading with the elves instead of just seizing everything they brought. I shall note your name down in the Book of Suspected Hippies...

<edit> Map after Omega2's turn

Feel free to stick in Points of Interest, and please note the pile of ashes on top of the tower that is all that remains of Aardvark...

</edit>
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:29:21 am by Jools »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 70