Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 70

Author Topic: {succession/community} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire  (Read 86854 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: {succession} Kulettögum, Salt Mines Beneath the Mire
« Reply #225 on: August 02, 2008, 06:07:21 am »

D:
Why does it get moving when I'm about to go on holiday?
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 02, 2008, 07:55:41 am »

Undated Letter to Endok Monangbesmar:
KEBOCKŰBUK,
By the Grace of Armok, of Unib Ad, The Rag of Suns and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen

To His Excellency,
MONANGBESMAR,
By the Grace of the Queen, Mayor of Kulettögum

Your Excellency,

Having received the word from Your Excellency concerning the death of Our Much Esteemed Count Sigunčrith, of Kulettögum, We have decided that We, desirous of Peace and Prosperity in Our Realm, shall come forth Ourself to make a new palace in that Realm, the Metropolis of Kulettögum, in order that events of Independence and Treachery be forestalled.

In addition, having received word from one Esteemed and Trusted Mayor Rakasavuz, Royal Clerk of Unib Ad, concerning the possible Deceit and Informality of the Consort of Our Cousin, Duchess Ngaláklolor, We have decided to advance the date of Our Glorious Arrival to the Metropolis of Kulettögum to a sooner date, of which Your Excellency will understand the importance of not disclosing.

In furtherance of this, We do decree that such preparations shall be made for Our imminent Glorious Arrival as the construction of suitable quarters to house Our Majesty's servants, entourage, Consort and Ourself.

It is assumed that the customary Gift to be presented upon Our Glorious Arrival be prepared.

We look forward to seeing Your Excellency, and shall be pleased to see what offerings the dwarves of Kulettögum will offer.

Kebockűbuk R.

As a result,

« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 08:02:16 am by Keldor »
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 02, 2008, 08:20:42 am »

And I love the modification to Asteth's room. Can we find some way to have her bed only held up by a support, and then collapse it into her tomb when she's asleep? That or dump the Hammerer's hammer. Casualties to goblins I don't mind, but casualties to stroppy consorts demanding ever more war hammers is just going too far.

You just need to remove the floors agan and channel out that last bit of floor when she is in bed. Then pull the lever in her dining room.

Endok - doh! But at least we know he is mad and he does actually work as well. :)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 02, 2008, 08:53:12 am »

Excuse me whilst I bludgeon my brother for that.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:21:53 am by Maggarg - Eater of chicke »

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 02, 2008, 10:01:51 am »

Channelling floor while someone's asleep? Unless we render her unconscious somehow, that's got to wake her up.

And goddammit, I thought Endok would be a brilliant Mayor, but now he wants adamantine crap? Damn! Hopefully he's too happy for other reasons to start ordering hammerings...

Also - the Consort is suspected of deceit and treachery? Damn, they're on to me. I hope I can do a load of damage before I get executed...

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 02, 2008, 12:11:51 pm »

Apparently they have the  Countess listed as unmarried.  I wonder why she's still playing along, though.  Surely she's noticed that Jools isn't actually her husband?  Unless she's betrothed to someone she can't stand, like her  letcherous uncle, twice removed...

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 02, 2008, 12:38:42 pm »

You could channel and replace with grates and link those to the lever as well. Ostensibly to allow the Consort to view the magnificent tomb and set her mind at ease. ;)

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 02, 2008, 12:48:45 pm »

Last time I checked I was claiming to be married to *somebody*... yep, I'm married to the Duchess. Allegedly. Not that we ever meet or get up to any of that messy business, this is an aristocratic marriage arranged in advance and we live completely separate lives.

Hers apparently requires NINE pet donkeys to keep her company. I think I'll make do with just trying to make dresdor's life a misery, that's enough entertainment for me.

Also I have discovered that Asteth is friends with the Hammerer. I think that explains a lot...

Nice plan, Kazindir...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 03, 2008, 11:05:09 am »

To get me prepared, I found the save for my old community fortress and started playing.
I actually did fairly well this time, my first fort that can be regarded as a moderate success.
I've played for 4 years and have a population of 68 with 12 dead.
I'm actually quite pleased, for not a single great disaster has befallen me.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 03, 2008, 11:32:47 am »

Whew... Maggarg, don't worry about your turn coming too soon - I just played all morning and got through... the month of Granite.  Still, a LOT of things happened as you will see!

Excerpts from the journal of Endok Monangbesmar, concerning the 9th year of Abbeyverse

1st Granite, 1060:

Dresdor keeps pestering me about some meeting or other.  I wish he'd go away.  I'm trying to sleep.

Apparently there are some boulders sticking up from our road.  That, and a strip of it somehow got built out of diorite.  I told Dresdor to go fix it then and stop bothering me.

It seems that I'm the leader of the fortress.  In fact, I have been all week.  Why doesn't anyone tell me these things?

In addition, one of our recruits just died!  What goes on in that training room??

Anyway, I've ordered a kennel built near the cages, since there doesn't seem to be one nearby, and I want to see about training that hydra.

3rd Granite, 1060:

We seem to have a nice amount of milk.  I've ordered some cheese made.  I like cheese.

I also took a glance at our stockpile records and noticed that we have no less than 2790 quarry bush leaves!  Obviously, we need either more kitchens, or more cooks.

I'm taking some of our fresh recruits off military duty and having them become cooks.  More use cooking than dead in the barracks I say!

4th Granite, 1060:

Champion Uvash Ustuththiz just went berserk for no apparent reason!  The entire military has been called to the barracks, and I am going to have to suspend further training until our military reaches a more stable mental state, as the recent deaths of recruits seems to have rattled them.

Thankfully, the berserk champian was struck down without any trouble whatsoever.  It seems that the underlings in our military are more skilled than they let on.

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-715-beserkchampion

6th Granite, 1060:

Kazindir's pick your own strawberries seems to be a great success.  It's only 6 days into the planting season, and already the entire plot has been seeded.

8th Granite, 1060:

I have started the initial construction for the carp taming project, for what dwarven swimming pool would be complete without some wonderful koi, as the elves say, happily swimming about socializing with the dwarves?

9th Granite, 1060:

The elven diplomat has arrived!  Perhaps she will have some pointers about how best to tame carp?

10th Granite, 1060:

At last, my favorite time of year has arrived!  The elven caravan has been sighted!  While many of my kin seem to dislike elves, I am always thrilled to see what marvelous and exotic animals they will bring with them.  Perhaps they will have a giant tiger, or some more of those gibbons of every color imaginable?  I just hope Dresdor can make a good trade with them.

14th Granite, 1060:

Trying to get Dresdor to trade with the elves is like trying to set fire to water!  He insists that he must first finish his meeting with me!  I've told him over and over that his meeting is OVER, however, he still persists.  If he keeps this up, we won't be able to trade with the elves!  Instead of letting that happen, I have promoted our deputy trader to broker for the time being.  While Dresdor is quite right that the elves, alas, have not brought any exotic animals this year, we must nevertheless trade with them, so that we strike up a good relationship, that they might bring their prized animals with them next year.

Later this day, I espied a regular hatchery for alligators!  I will think about how best to gain access to the location, so that we may tame them.

A vile force of darkness has arrived!  A dozen goblins astride beak dogs, lead by a elite crossbowgoblin!  Thankfully the elves are safely inside the walls.  It is time to muster the millitary!

An addition second and third force of goblins were also sighted.  An elite axegoblin leads a squad of archers, and a elite speargoblin leads a group of lashers and wrestlers.  This could get nasty!

15th Granite, 1060:

A group of hammergoblins has also been sighted.  All told, the goblins number nearly 50, each riding a beak dog!  As a sidenote, it would appear that our legendary miners have no concept of inside or outside, refusing to come back within the walls until they were drafted and stationed indoors.

16th Granite, 1060:

The melee dwarves have been mustered and await further orders, although the marksdwarves are nowhere to be seen.  Nevertheless, I am ordering them into combat against the squad of hammergoblins, since they do not have supporting fire to worry about, and hence should be easy pickings.  Still, the goblins of that squad outnumber us by 2 to 1, 4 to 1 if you count the beak dogs, so this will nonetheless be bloody.

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-716-seigepartone
[EDIT] We now have the second part of the siege to watch!
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-730-seigeparttwo[/EDIT]

17th Granite, 1060:

The dwarves made short work of the first group of goblins, suffering not a single scratch.  Indeed they are all worthy of the title of champion!  However, the war is not over - three more groups of goblins remain, approaching us from every direction.  Also, our marksdwarves remain nowhere to be seen.  I had better do something about this.

23rd Granite, 1060:

Victory!  But not without a cost.  a handful of marksdwarves bravely held the tower on the outer wall, slaying dozens of goblins, but they kept coming.  The melee dwarves were guarding the bridge against the coming bowgoblin squad, but they were far enough away that they did not arrive to attack us until the contest at the tower was over.  The tower was eventually overrun, as the surviving goblins made it through the back gate, and stormed the tower, killing every marksdwarf that had heed the summons.  Perhaps if more than three marksdwarves had heeded the alarm, things would have been different.  Nevertheless, the tower fell.  At this time, the melee dwarves, having seen only a single goblin manage to cross the bridge thus far, were recalled to deal with the more immediate threat at the tower.  They did so and rapidly routed the two groups of goblins there.  Finally, they returned to battle the bowgoblins, which by this time had crossed the bridge and were bearing down on the main gate.  They were summarily routed, and we are now chasing down the remaining goblins as they attempt to flee.  Our overall losses include three marksdwarves, including at least one elite, and a swordsdwarf with a broken arm and a marksdwarf with a broken lower body.  For the goblins, a very large number of them lie dead, along with a larger number of beak dogs.  We also captured at least two goblin and no less than eight beak dogs in various cage traps.  I project that the cleanup will take all spring, and likely summer too.

((There would be a movie for the rest of the seige, but since there weren't any pauses in the action, I had no place to break up the movie, and hence the filesize was 1.21 MB :-( ))

Given the goblin seige, I allowed anyone to trade at the depot.  Imagine my surprise when Jools showed up and made a successful trade with the elves.  He even made them a kind offer, which they gladly accepted.  Perhaps he likes elves more than he lets on?  Then again, he probably wouldn't have been able to have Rigňth Inkybalances, his pet jaguar, if it weren't for the elves.

24th Granite, 1060:

We've discovered another dead dwarf at the bottom of the moat.  Looks like our count of lost marksdwarves has risen to four.

27th Granite, 1060:

A group of migrants have arrived.  Perhaps they've heard of our marvelous tamed elephants?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:49:16 am by Keldor »

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 03, 2008, 01:39:26 pm »

Wow, nice big siege there.

I wonder if we can train war-beak-dogs?

The kennels were by the animal cages, just south of the Cursed Bridge - they are well camoflaged with mud and dog poo though! :)

About the speed, I'm not sure what if anything can be done - most of the spare animals are already caged and thats about the only thing I can think of. Time in Kulettögum passes with dignity, aka slowly. On the up side you do seem to get a lot more done in a year than you do when it goes quickly, probably because you've got more time to ponder grand constructions. :D

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 04, 2008, 06:37:10 am »

Great siege. Shame about the losses - now we have the overspan, is it worth walling up the ground floor of the tower? That should force goblins through the Foe Flusher...

Also I know we plan on having a fairly open fortress and not hiding behind overpowered cage traps, but is it worth rejigging stuff to try and channel all ambushes/sieges in to one choke point? (I'm thinking that this choke point be centred around Kazindir's fist, strangling the goblins one by one) Or should we just get another squad or two, so we can fight on as many fronts as we have gates?

Oh, and we appear to have Sun berries - please to be planting some of those too, they make some very tasty booze.

However I am extremely annoyed that I had to go and trade with those horrible elf creatures. Why do people have insist on trading with them for their profit? At least I got my own back in part by offering them some goods with "hidden surprises" i.e. rotting hunks of meat and shellfish some peasant scraped out of the river. I'm now going to go and sulk in my quarters until I can either beat up or rob an elf.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 04, 2008, 10:09:58 am »

I walled off the ground floor of the tower when I built the overspan. :)

We'e got a sort of medieval city thing going on really. All the important stuff is in the fortress proper so you have to go through the Foe fLusher to get there, but we have a collection of outlying stuff as well - like the arena - which is outside. It should really be peasant houses. :p

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 04, 2008, 10:31:59 am »

So how did the goblins get in to the tower? Through the Foe Flusher?

I like the idea of peasant houses outside. Not only will it save them from vomitting so often when they (after several months underground) suddenly rush off into wilderness to retrieve an alligator chunk (just bitten off by a jaguar in a dastardly plan to entice dwarves to approach, so they can both eat), if we make them out of wood it should make for a marvellous (a) way to piss off the elves and (b) spectacle when the next dragon stomps through the area...

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 04, 2008, 10:47:26 am »

There is a little tower on the outer wall, on the south end of it - only 1 level high with some fortifications on top of it, I thought it was that tower the marksdwarves died in, not he Great Tower(TM).
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 70