Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Necrothreat V: The Dead Halls  (Read 25785 times)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Necrothreat V: The Dead Halls
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2020, 05:32:15 pm »

That seems like a LOT of work.

Good luck, let's hope RNGesus is kind on you.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2020, 08:07:21 pm »

Aye, it looks like a lot. A fair amount of my tasks have already been knocked out, since it's stuff that's all instantly done in game time. The majority of my to-do list is pretty small things, and I've got like four underway at any given time. There are a few I don't expect to get done, though, and others just aren't high priority. I'm not gonna try to finish the aboveground part of the fort up, nor am I gonna make a barracks/archery range (I've just got an armor stand near the temple of Vesh right now). Defenses may be an unfeasible task, not that it'll come back to bite me personally because there's no way I'd be able to fight any siege off anyways. Probably won't bother with the hospital's water, aboveground farms, and a few more minor tasks that aren't worth pursuing, like replacing the wooden doors with stone ones.

I'll probably have a more formal update by the end of tomorrow. Nothing has really happened of note, honestly.

EDIT: Oh right, what the fuck happened to pikachu?

Spoiler: Like damn. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 08:10:37 pm by NordicNooob »

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2020, 09:46:55 pm »

Traditional apikses were always in the army so it seems fitting this one goes into it again I suppose.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2020, 07:57:20 am »

I didn't even know miscarriages were in the game. Who was his spouse? Guessing it was Thob (or possibly NAV) who died during the necro siege and was pregnant then.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2020, 09:06:05 am »

I have just caught up. I laughed more than I should at the phallic entrance of Necrothreat. I am glad, however, that we have a line of defense against the dead. That it is in the traditional symbol of virility, life and birth seems appropriate.

But let's not make it a theme :P
Also, I feel a deep foreboding seeing a bone throne. It is like the plethora of artifact crowns we had last game.

I have updated the turn list to include our resident Tomato.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 09:15:44 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2020, 12:23:58 pm »

Jasro heard the shouts as she went down the staircase to the caverns.

Ugh, another forumite too dumb to run from a crundle, she thought to herself, not changing her pace.

But then... smoke? Tendrils of it wafted up from below, grabbing at her mail, weighing the air down. She paused, then quickened her pace. When she reached the bottom, an inferno lay before her. The shouts suddenly turned to screams, and then went silent. She aimed her barrels into the smothering darkness.

A moment later, a voice wheezed, hatred in its voice. You cannot stay the hand of fate!

Jasro responded, anger in her voice. "What the hell do you want? Who are you? Why would you just kill somebody like that?"

None of that matters. Tell your leaders—tell the inspired—tell them that their efforts are futile. They will not succeed.

"I'll let your corpse do the talking! Show yourself!"

Very well. I will deliver the message myself, girl. Perish.

The smoke cleared, revealing... the corpse of the dwarf who was killed and... a lazorshark? Jasro hesitated in surprise: these were no malicious sentient creatures, just simple automatons!

She fired twice in quick succession. Whatever thing was possessing the lazorshark had superhuman speed, and it dodged out of the way.

Before Jasro could reload or advance, the lazorshark returned fire, shooting a green blast of energy from its eyes. The attack hit Jasro's cape, lighting it and the surrounding landscape ablaze. Jasro ignored the flame. One of the many advantages of being a gunfolk is the immunity to fire, she noted.

She advanced through the smoke, her own barrels adding to the choking environment. She came out of the cloud right in front of the

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Even with their superhuman reactions, whoever was possessing the lazorshark had no time to dodge Jasro's silver spear. The clang of metal on metal resounded through the cavern, leaving a dent on the shark's fin.

The lazorshark fired at the ground, spawning more flames and more smoke to cover its retreat. The voice spoke again, almost hissing its words.

I see. This weak host will not be able to defeat you. No matter. You are irrelevant.

Jasro blindly fired another pair of slugs into the cloud, but it was no use. The lazorshark—and whoever was in control of it—were gone.

"Damn it!" Jasro shouted, angry with herself for letting the creature escape. She waited, hoping to catch a glimpse of whatever had attacked her. She waited for a long while. When the haulers came to grab the poor forumite's corpse, she opted not to tell them about the voice.

The fortress hummed with activity. Nord walked around with a bit more authority now, giving orders for various pieces of furniture and machinery, giving migrant forumites new trades to work, and carrying out other administrative tasks that he would've preferred to avoid.

On top of all his previous plans, his craftsmite guild had petitioned to have a guildhall constructed, and, as a member of said guild and as current overseer, he was obliged to agree.

Spoiler: Ew, guilds (click to show/hide)

Then Glass won the server election, necessitating Nord to be stately and congratulate him, which led to Glass's first demands: rooms befitting an admin.

In suit, some random migrant from the most recent wave decided that they were the rightful heir of some far off barony, and claimed the title. Nord sighed with disdain. There was just too much to do!

Nord paced, giving instructions to forumites seemingly at random. He told Glass and Dwarfy, who had just finished mining rooms for guildhalls, to go back to hewing earth to accommodate the new nobles. He told Ubbul, the fortress carpenter, to make more beds for the new bedrooms. He told Dakost and Metthos, the new mechanics, to relink the front gate.

Up above, the air shifted. Something was... off.

A few dwarves outside the temple to Vesh spotted an odd looking figure walking into the fort. They hardly gave it any notice: strange figures showed up in and around the fort all the time. The stray trabant wheeling around in the courtyard reinforced such.

The figure walked through the main gate, strolled past the fort's front doors, and began walking down the stairway. Then it stopped. Nord was nearby, nagging Lord Lemonpie to go down to the magma sea and install the necessary bridge rather than continuing his mindless chiseling of doors.

The stranger was on him in an instant. Nord reflexively dodged out of the way of the visitor's fist.

Surrender! End this madness! it hissed in a voice foreign to its body. The sudden lunge forward had dropped the stranger's hood away, revealing its true nature: a fell slayer, of the same type that had attacked the fortress during Lemonpie's reign.

"Shit!" Nord cursed, scrambling away from the second blow as well.

He shouted an order at Lord Lemonpie. "Lemonpie! Go get Glass and Dwarfy, we need their help if we want to stop this thing!"

Lemonpie nodded, the gesture mostly lost in his subsequent rise to action. Two other entities rose to action, in unison. Tholtig and Avuz, the fortress's two siegebreakers. They charged as one.

Simple automatons will not stop me.

The visitor grabbed Avuz's arm and twisted, crushing gears and rendering it a useless mess.

Then, grunting when Tholtig's chainsaw ripped into its flesh, tore at Tholtig's knee joint, ruining it as well.

Avuz's mechanical eyes began to shudder, and then sputtered out suddenly, the destruction of its arm being too much. Tholtig fled in terror as Avuz died. The siegebreakers were broken.

That took a lot longer than expected, heh. I'm getting close to finishing up my turn, but am still pretty behind on the write-ups.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2020, 12:50:11 pm »

Hm. You've called miners to the fray. Against something which casually kills Forumechs.

I am worried for my Forumite.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2020, 01:03:58 pm »

I'd also like to officially vote Jasro for Hall of Fame status.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
Re: Necrothreat V: The Curse of Jasro Siegebreaker
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2020, 02:35:28 pm »

Fear not, Dwarfy! Also, for reasons noted below, totally yes, Jasro for hall of fame. She's an uncontrollable murder-god, the epitome of storytelling. She's been in the right place at the right time for everything important, too, and is now a legendary fighter to boot. Also, my turn is done, but I've still got like two or three more of these blurbs to write out. I'll probably stick them all in one post.

Jasro needed a drink. She walked up the towering staircase from the caverns, grumbling at the lengthy trek between the drink stockpile and the caverns. Then she heard the chainsaws. Again? she thought, redoubling her pace up the long staircase.

When she reached the top, she knew exactly what was happening.

"You!" She shouted, firing twice at the visitor. One shot went wide, sending a shower of sparks across the back wall. The other hit him straight in the chest, ruining the flesh. He did not care.

He rasped a response, angry not at what should have been a mortal wound, but at something else. You are very lucky indeed. Annoyances such as yourself should be dealt with swiftly, but I have been tasked otherwise.

A stray courage wolf leaped at the visitor, and was thrown aside moments later, bloody and broken. Jasro lunged into the fray, stabbing and firing with pristine skill. The stranger hardly seemed to fight back! She destroyed an arm with a point-blank shot. She crushed its legs with he spear, causing it to fall. It laughed.

Would you be so cruel as to kill an innocent messanger who can barely fight?

Jasro raised her spear to finish it off.

Lemonpie, returning up the stairs with Glass and Dwarfy, stopped her before she could destroy it. "No! Let it speak its message, it might be important."

Jasro held back.

My missive is this: cease your unnatural arts, return your thread to death, and abandon this fortress. Armok will not allow it.

"What if we refuse?" Lemonpie asked, annoyed that anyone might suggest the abandoning of so much work. "What then?"

Then you will be annihilated. Again.

"Is that all?"

The stranger did not respond to Lemonpie's question. Then its eyes changed. They warped from a deep crimson to the typical black of undead creatures, and took on an expression of confusion and hurt.

Then the trabant wheeled into its skull.

"It was inevitable," they all agreed after the matter. Most of the fortress regarded the visitor as a rogue madman, and paid little heed to its warning. Jasro knew otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 03:09:39 pm by NordicNooob »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2020, 04:02:41 pm »

Yes, I think Jasro has earned a place in the Hall.

I look forward to your final 'blurbs.'
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Necrothreat V: The Curse of Jasro Siegebreaker
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2020, 04:30:32 pm »

Also, for reasons noted below, totally yes, Jasro for hall of fame. She's an uncontrollable murder-god, the epitome of storytelling. She's been in the right place at the right time for everything important, too, and is now a legendary fighter to boot.

I'd also just like to reiterate that she's a sentient double-barreled shotgun.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2020, 06:02:10 pm »

Oh my, Jasro just keeps on giving. I've played a fair share of Teh Lolmod when I ran a sort of story fort for my friends in our discord, and robotic lazorsharks are HORRID opponents. Lost five legendary warrior forumites to two of the things. I'm surprised she managed to survive that.

It's a shame she came as a monster hunter, otherwise she would have made a fine full citizen.

What's your process in making those .gifs? I'd love to do that too but I have no idea how.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2020, 09:38:58 am »

Oh, really? I thought the lazorsharks weren't that big a deal, except for the fires. Jasro seems immune to their lasers due to being a shotgun, and also killed one completely unscathed on a different occasion. I haven't seen her do much outside of being a badass: the lazorshark is about the only thing I've seen her kill that I didn't previously note, and apparently that's badassery too. Oh yeah, we've got a caged one, if anybody wants to do something with it.

I'm totally fine with Jasro as a monster hunter. It just wouldn't be the same if I had to order her to go do badass stuff. She just like, senses when the fort is in danger and decides to meander straight into the problem.

For the gifs, I use ScreenToGif. I used to use gifcam, which is less clunky, but I had some trouble with that one making funky yellow garbage in the gifs, so I switched.

After the fell slayer incident, Nord redoubled his efforts. The fortress worked like a well-oiled machine (perhaps because it contained several), and the months flew by with little incident. The minecart filler was completed, Glass and Logem received adequate dwellings, and significant progress was made on smoothing the fortress. A great library and temple to all gods were carved out, the former being supplied with imported books.

Spoiler: Progress! (click to show/hide)

In addition, forumites continued to flock to the now thriving young fortress. Most notable were two figures: a legendary armorsmith, and a necromancer. However, many of the other migrants possessed skill in combat, and they came to form the backbone of the new militia. One squad of swordsmites and one squad of chainsawmites.

The fortress also had a great influx of births, perhaps of wanting parents deciding that the fortress was safe enough to raise children in, but probably just because they weren't busy.

By the end of the year, the fort had more than doubled in both size and wealth.

Spoiler: Optional Note (click to show/hide)

I'm frankly surprised I accomplished so much during my turn, though. Half the fort has been idle for most of my tenure as overseer; I'm not used to running forts much bigger than 50. Our population is up at 89, I suffered two deaths during my tenure. One was the weaver who was noted, and the other was a dumbass dwarf that decided pathing through the channel he just offloaded magma into was a good idea. I put pathing restrictions in the channel after that one. Good thing is, even though he burned to death in the middle of the fort, nobody even saw him die! The idlesness has been good for stress, though, I'm noticing an uptick in happy dwarves. It should pick up more if you guys continue to idle everybody, but I know for sure that nobody's gonna do that: there's a lot of big stuff to be done.

Pretty much everything that happened to the fort happened in spring. Spring took me three days to play through, whereas I did all the other seasons yesterday, finishing the last bit of winter today. A lot of it was just figuring out what I needed to do, setting it all up, and all that jazz, but again, everything interesting happened during spring as well. We did have a little false alarm with a goblin siege in autumn, where the siege showed up and turned around, and of course, that one dwarf burning to death, but those were the only notable events that weren't just me doing stuff.

Spoiler: What I've been up to: (click to show/hide)

Oh right, and Flame, mind finishing up a project for me? It's pretty much done, but I didn't get to place the last of the magma smelters. The magma minecarts just need to get to the stops (they should be on their way without your input), and then you can remove them and stick ye olde smelters on there.

And last, do we want to make a constant pop cap? I've been playing at 100 soft cap and 130 hard cap.

Here is the save.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2020, 10:18:18 am »

Thanks for playing Nord, I greatly enjoyed your turn!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2020, 02:21:30 pm »

Wow, someone actually set up magma movers in a succession fort. Thank you! I'll start playing, and hopefully I won't run out of time before the end of my turn.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11