Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Necrothreat V: The Dead Halls  (Read 25154 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Necrothreat V: The Dead Halls
« on: March 11, 2008, 03:01:00 am »

THE DEAD RISE!

Where once lay only dead-and-forgotten community fort concepts in the fallow soil, there now surges forth dark and suspicious energies! As it was prophesied, so shall it be slain! Necrothreat!

For the accursed turn list and further details, see reply #29 (Page 2 on default posts-per-page settings)

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dead Halls, potential succession game/mod discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 04:54:00 am »

I love this!

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 06:38:00 am »

They shouldn't bleed. The survivors will be doing enough of that as it is.

Remove a lot of unnecessary animals/creatures from the game, as they'll complicate matters in ways that distract from the original goal. Make the survivors have screwed up mental attributes, and maybe fiddle with the starting points.

Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 06:56:00 am »

I'm not really sure how to fiddle with the start points...   If I knew how, that would most certainly be helpful.

Also, did you have any particular animals in mind for removal?  Or any specific ones that shouldn't be removed?

I'd also like to point out that this is not a modern (I.E., shotguns and chainsaws) zombie mod.  This is a medieval fantasy zompocalypse, so people will still be swinging swords and wearing tunics.

Moocow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »

Is it even possible to make them siege very often?
Death solves all problems - no dwarf, no problem.
- Joseph Stalin

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 10:24:00 pm »

Well, goblins siege very often.  Zombies have a higher population than goblins (as though that made any difference) and they don't have the high fort-pop requirements of goblins, so they should be on you from the start.

I can try and see if I can make them try to migrate to your fort as well.  It probably won't work, but it's worth a shot.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 08:45:00 am »

Okay, three people showed interest.  I don't think that calls for launching the thing.

Sorry lads, but I was putting it to a vote of sorts.  No interest, no fort.  I don't have enough time to spend it on more things where I have to hold the whole thing up myself.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 05:32:00 pm »

I'd be interested in this...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 05:34:00 am »

That still just makes four.  I've got enough things on my plate as it is (and I say that for all of them...), I don't need to add mini-mod succession fort to it if we've only got a few other guys in on it.  

Still, maybe with this li'l bump, someone else will wander by and give their two cents worth.  I'll keep the folder with the mini-mod in it, and maybe make an adjustment from time to time (I still want a zombie mod at some point...), so it'll be open.  If I get six people, I'll go ahead and give it a shot.  Maybe folks will perk up a bit when it actually hits the field.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 06:57:00 am »

I'd be interested in this.

Also, you'll probably get a lot more interest when it actually starts.

myd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 07:21:00 am »

I'm interested too. I agree, just get started, people will join after they see some action.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »

Kagus so far everything you have done has been awesome. Seriously if you begin it I bet people will want to join in.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 12:16:00 pm »

Okay, but setting the thing up is being a bit tricky.  It's kinda hard not to start planting modern-ish ideas into it, since that's the zombiepocalypse we all know and love.  Modern things really, really don't fit in well with the current system, so I'll have to be a bit more clever at thinking of ways around that.  Suggestions, are, of course, greatly appreciated.

I'll also need to do some testing to see if the zombies will actually attack as early as they're supposed to.  I'll make a few more adjustments, and then put up a beta for a few guys to test out and report back their findings.  This will give me more time to work on other things, and will also provide more eyes looking at the same thing, which is always handy.

Zombies have had their clothing removed.   I don't think the piles of random clothing will be missed.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »

Alright, alright Kagus. I'll give you permission to do this; but don't you think for a SECOND I'm gonna let you forget about the Woodsman or DnG! =)

As for the zombo's, I've been a fan of the newer generation of fast zombies.  They're terrifying and effective while the older, slower, "braaaaaains" type zombies were more humorous and comical.  

I suppose which to choose would depend on the feel you'd like for the fort.  Dwarf Fortress itself is often a combination of terrifying and hilarious, so either way, it should be a good fit.

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »

I suggest adding zombies as wandering [BIOME:ANY_LAND] creatures as well.  Give them [LARGE_PREDATOR], [CURIOUSBEAST], [RECKLESS], [LIKES_FIGHTING], and maybe [COLDDAM_POINT:somethingverylow].  High LAYERING seems to restrict them to regions within their comfort zone, and I assume their comfort zone is determined by their heat/cold damage points.  Regardless, while arctic zombies may be silly, zombies in cold regions aren't quite as silly (given that these are necromantic zombies, not viral still-living ones).

Oh, and if you do add "wild" zombies, you may want to add [INVADERS_IGNORE_NEUTRALS] and [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE] to your zombie civ.  You can't have "attacks non-zombies" at the same time as "doesn't attack roaming zombies," but "doesn't attack roaming zombies" is probably more critical.

[ March 18, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11