Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Necrothreat V: The Dead Halls  (Read 25788 times)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Necrothreat V: The Dead Halls
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2020, 09:20:46 pm »

3rd of Limestone, Early Autumn, 251

It seemed like a blink to me, but I am missing a significant chunk of memory. One day I was staring at a bloodied Jasro. The next I found myself in one of the Mason's workshops, staring at what I had created. Carved from fossilized bone, the ancient buried remnants of a titan or monster from the time before time, it was a simple cabinet. Decorated with the dead wood of a local pecan tree and granite. It was exquisite, and as I had no memory of making it, I first believed I stared at the creation of someone else. It was only later, after waking from a long sleep that the others told me it was me who had created it. I don't remember creating it. I don't remember anything. All I can see when I try to dredge up any semblance of a memory from that time is complete blackness, laced with flashes of white rotting skin. The skin of Vesh? Or something more sinister?

It took me a while to collect myself. It may seem like a little inconvenience, crafting a masterwork without remembering it, especially compared to the horrors I had seen the days before, but the sheer powerlessness of it took a toll on my mind. Half of the summer had passed before I finally felt like I had regained control. I am glad my fellow forumites understood. They helped me divert my attention, reintegrate myself into the fortress. I started taking on some duties, slowly but surely. Planning out the building of a defensive wall, a drawbridge and a trade depot. Overseeing their construction. Holding small sermons in the tavern, talking about the Goddess Vesh and her dozen divine consorts. That felt comforting, as if I had done it before, in a previous life. Helping Pikachu17 in healing treating those wounded during the siege in our own bedrooms. None of us had any medical experience, but Pikachu17 was a learned forumite and knew some basics of the forumite body. He tried to keep wounds clean and shut as best as he could, whereas I fed and washed the injured. Dwarfy1 told them stories, to comfort them. Stories of old, faraway and forgotten places. I had heard many stories during my long life, but none resembling these. I often found myself drawn in, listening outside of their rooms together with the children.

At the end of summer, some migrants arrived. A little over a dozen. As I welcomed them, two caught my attention. NAV, a brewer, who had the same shine in his eyes as the brewer NAV we had buried only weeks ago. And King Zultan. A famed metalworker, whose crafts were nothing short of legendary. We all had heard of their descriptions, some even claimed to have seen one before they had decided to make the long trek south. Why she had left the Grand Forum to come here of all places was a mystery to me. Adventure? Peace? A fresh start? A pilgrimage of sorts, like me?

I was not the only one observing the new immigrants. Jasro coldy looked at them too, leaning against a wall near the entrance. I could see in her two barrels that she was judging and evaluating every single one of them.

Following the migrants was a small human caravan. Hailing from Behal Casser, a nearby kingdom. I had heard much of this swamp kingdom, just over the mountains west to us. It was situated in the bogs and mires of the Fields of Drowning. It is said that they build their straw houses on poles to escape the spring floods, and the southern glaciers are always visible on the horizon. They talked briefly to TheFlame52, our site founder, but they did not speak our language. They only spoke the nuanced tongue of trade and barter. Nord, whose leg looked more like a jute bag than anything else, covered in Pikachu17s crude stitches, had slowly recovered and even begun working again, turning worthless claystone into masterwork jewelry. I ordered bins upon bins of his crafts to be hauled to the depot, as Glass came and negotiated prices. They had only brought two mules packed with stuff, so they did not carry a lot. Glass traded for a variety of stuff: valuable cloths, silks an linnens, a variety of cheeses and other foodstuffs, exotic booze and some parchment. They also brought some weaponry, which we traded for at a less than reasonable price. Still, I made sure to gift them some of Nords masterworks. A claystone crown and scepter for their leader, and a set of claystone earrings and rings for his spouse. Maybe this would convince them to send more merchants next year.

A small incident occurred, where a wild limousine drove over one of our courage wolves and her pup. They were beloved pets and will be greatly missed. I have decided to have them entombed alongside the victims of the siege, in a small tomb with statues of Jasro. If we had the arms to hunt down this rabid limousine, we would have, but sadly we still lack those. I have however talked with our mechanic, who has started setting up cage traps outside, in the hopes of catching it.

At the end of Summer, most of the small wall I had ordered to be built, stood. It was simple, fashioned from claystone blocks, with two tiny towers and a large drawbridge. It would be sufficient to keep the shambling undead hordes out, but their more crafty counterparts would easily be able to climb it. Let alone a Ninja ambush or a troupe of fundraising politicians, if they even dared to come so far south.

Images again accompany this entry. However, they seem to be less frantic and dark, some even showing traces of dyes instead of being black as soot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2020, 09:24:02 pm »

I forgot there were fossils in this mod.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2020, 09:34:03 pm »

I think I coded those in after the Bone King Adventures. If I remember correctly, they can be melted into bonium, which is a slightly shittier version of Iron

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2020, 08:21:04 am »

28th of Obsidian, New Year's Eve, Late Autumn, 251

The latter half of the year has passed without much trouble. We still work day and night, breaks being rare, but other than tiredness and sore muscles, there is little to worry about. We have opened the caverns, to access their wonderful woods, ores and gems. With the creatures lurking about there, it has been a risky endeavour. We had to dig a tunnel, and quickly lay cage traps and doors to keep the interior of our fortress safe from harm. Luckily, Jasro and her apprentices guarded the little entrance as we went on to construct our defenses, keeping harm out of our way.

The safety of the entrance has been... mediocre to say the least. We see that as soon Jasro leaves her post to attend to other businesses, the wildlife manages to encroach. The first time it resulted in the death of one of Jasro's remaining apprentices, torn in two by two blind cave ogres, who then almost rammed the door to pulp. The second time considered a voracious cave crawler, eyeing TheFlame52 as he collected webs to make into silk. Jasro replied quickly however, as if she had a sixth sense allowing her to know something was off. She stormed downstairs, tackled the beast down a cliff whilst shooting, stabbing and wrestling, and eventually managed to finish it off. Giant Cave Toads have also attempted entry, but they have luckily posed less of a threat. Jasro's apprentices turn them into mince meat, and we have had a steady supply of protein since then.

I have constructed more. A second floor of the tower, partially decorated. A layer of fortifications and footpaths atop the wall, two buildings to lock up corpses in as they wither and rot away, and a small temple to Vesh. It has been a lot of work, yet every single Dwarf has aided in our construction. Because of that, it passed fairly quickly. Among our workers we can count a small new wave of migrants, less than ten, bringing up our number to 39 dwarves. Among the migrant wave was an elderly cheesemaker missing a leg. Dwarfy had to carry her inside. With this influx of new faces, many farmers have arrived in the fortress and have petitioned to create a farmer's guild hall. I have allowed it, but have yet to designate a location. Labour was required in other locations. I had planned to have everything finished before the start of the New Year, but sadly some grates and statues still need to be fashioned and constructed before I can truly consider my work done.

A caravan arrived late in autumn, following the migrants. Glass, our capitalist, bought us everything we need. Cloth, weapons, booze, cheese, yet most importantly, an anvil. It is datamined, and we have yet to test whether the strands of code are tough enough to withstand flame and be forged upon, but it is a better alternative than the lego anvils. We also acquired some special treasures: 4 different birds, caged, and a Sharpshot Forumech. I have placed the caged birds in the rooms of our unfinished hospital so that they may comfort those laying there. I have yet to find a way to activate the Sharpshot Forumech, but I am sure we will soon find out how we awake it from its slumber.

In the last month of winter, Glass went silent. A hollow stare in his eyes. A stare that was utterly alien, yet somewhat recognizable to me. The other forumites whispered to one another that it was the same stare I had when I crafted that cabinet. Glass too collected fossilized bone, as well as gemstones. Oddly, all I could seem to think of was "A throne of bone for the king of bone". And create a throne he did. It was marvelous, yet mysteriously malevolent. He came back from his state of being to discover another daughter being born.

Now, I sit in the tavern with all the other forumites, celebrating the arrival of spring. Most of the masonry on the outside construction is finished, so I am not needed much to oversee more projects. I have talked to TheFlame52, deciding that our site founder should get back his privileges of oversight. As life becomes more comfortable here, I look forward to the bright future that undoubtedly awaits us.

Glory be to Necrothreat. Glory be to Vesh.

The images accompanying this entry have definitely increased in quality. Much time has been taken to draw them, and some of them even seem to radiate pride.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alright, that was it for my turn. Can't believe how smooth the game still runs, deff different from the later Necrothreat IV turns I played.

Alright TheFlame52, Here's the keys to the fortress.  Keep good care of her!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2020, 03:09:24 pm »

Don't skip me yet but I won't be able to pick up the fort until Sunday.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2020, 04:34:26 pm »

I'm quite free if'n you'd just like two swap turns: I have literally no other obligations right now. Your call, though.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2020, 09:10:04 am »

That's fine by me. I think I have a turn at the Museum coming up soon as well.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2020, 10:23:56 am »

In that case. Yo, uh, lemon. What's with your save? It's just a .rar file, which is notable because normal saves don't appear to have any .rar files within them.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2020, 02:10:16 pm »

.rar is a compressed archive file format; the save is inside the archive. Just extract it (if you don't have the option on right-click, I recommend getting 7zip).

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2020, 02:32:20 pm »

Ooh yeah, that'd be the problem. Never liked 7zip, nor have I had any reason to dink around with much of anything for file compression. I feel dumb now, but eh, whatever.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2020, 02:41:43 pm »

Haha yeah, either you can’t upload normal folders to dffd or I’m too dumb to figure out how to do that, so had to put it in a .rar. I’m only familiar with winrar as it came preinstalled on my pc, so I’m not really sure how 7zip and the likes work, but any sort of software like that should be compatible

Just opening the .rar and dragging the file within to your save folder should do the trick!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2020, 07:21:18 pm »

Yea, I suspect Nordic has/had nothing to open rar files. Winrar itself would work as well as well as probably some other options, it's just first one that came to mind.

Generall speaking,, as Windows 10 "helpfully" tends to display zipped folders like normal ones which makes one unable to actually play properly using a format that doesn't get "helped" has its ups and downs. Case in point: downs.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2020, 10:56:35 pm »

I've got the save open fine, yeah, I just needed the pointer to realize that it was a save file--windows displays it like it would an ordinary .txt file. I've just been plotting for most of the remainder of the day, there's always a lot to take in and plan when you're doing succession forts.

We'll see how this "writing forumites in character" thing goes. Bloody annoying when you want your forumite to do one thing but their personality goes against it with every fiber of their being.

Nord walked around the fortress, then stopped, and began absentmindedly drumming his fingers against a wall.

It was his first day as overseer. Overseer! He had never really wanted much more than a steady supply of workable stone, but when the fortress assembled to choose the new overseer, and everybody hesitated, wondering if they really wanted to rule, something made Nord blurt his offer. He wasn't quite sure what it was that made him do so. Maybe Istam or or Ustuth or possibly even Vesh inspired him much the same way they did his art. Perhaps overseeing wouldn't be so hard, that the dance between chaos and order was just another form of art, that he'd be a natural at it like he was at stoneworking.

Nord ceased his deliberations and sharply pulled his hand from the wall when he was interrupted by a hand on his shoulder. Lord Lemonpie, the previous overseer.

"There you are, Nord. Been looking for you."

"I suppose that comes with the job, huh? People wanting me all the time?"

"Aye, that it does, but you've got something you should be getting on."

"What's that?"

"Tour of the fortress. You'll have to figure out what all you want to do with the fort, what you think needs doing, and who you think needs to be doing it. First day 's always the worst."

Nord mulled over the information before responding, not sure quite how to react.

"Aye, I suppose that makes sense. I've been... thinking about that."

Nord paused again, choosing his words.

"I have some ideas for what should get done. Well, too many ideas, probably. First, we need a military--that ordeal with the siege was truly awful, and if Jasro hadn't happened along the fort, who knows what would've become of us. For that we need a barracks, and a metal industry, and dwarves to run that industry, and rooms for those dwarves, and more temples and a tavern and actual records of our things and safer water for the hospital and..." Nord finally ran out of steam.

Lemonpie waited a second to see if Nord had anything else to add before responding. "You sound like you've got it under control then, hah! Forts always have too much going on, and I think some funny looking haxxor general or something said that knowing was half the battle. Probably wrong on that count, since we forumites know that magma is at least half and good old steel fits in there somewhere, but y'know."

Nord's eyes lit up with an idea. "Oh, brilliant! Magma! Go tell Dwarfy and Glass to start digging down again, and if you don't mind, I'd like you and Ast to make some more hatches, and also a lot of doors. I've got to go find out who our mechanic is and talk to King Zultan about our raw data. Thanks for the idea!"

Nord wandered off muttering something about wood burning, and Lemonpie didn't stop him.

There was work to be done.

Oh yeah, also, I'm big into being an absolute neat freak with labor management (and military organization), so don't mind if I implement a new labor system across the entire fort.

I've got plenty of other ideas, but we'll see what all I can get done. I will try to keep most of you guys with the same labors unless you're all itching to be the first in line for the draft and/or the living smelter profession queue. Here's my to-do list.

Some things aren't high priority, of course, but having a list of things to do always helps keep the fort busy. Though, that's not necessarily a good thing. Whatever.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2020, 05:22:22 am »

I can has turn

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2020, 01:05:45 pm »

Oi Apiks, you want to stay a beekeeper or become the gamer commander? I'm prepared for either, so don't be pressured into soldiering just because it's more useful. Plus, we've only got dwarven wine atm, so booze variety may be appreciated. But still, you're a competent swordsdwarf and I'll have to nab Nil, our manager, if I want a full squad of dwarves with sword skill.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11