Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23

Author Topic: The Chasm-Challenge  (Read 29602 times)

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Chasm-Challenge
« Reply #240 on: April 24, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

"Doh-dee-doh, digging out some channels."

"Doh-de- wait a sec, dwarven intuition striking. I'm pretty sure digging out that channel was a bad ide- NOOOOOOOOO-" *Whump*

"Mother F***er. That'll hurt in the morning. Anyway, I have mining to do."

While I was doing some chasm widening, I made a somewhat uneducated decision with the channel designations, and the result was Valter plunging about 3-5 z-levels and breaking his pancreas and kidneys. When he woke up, he took his pick and went straight back to mining.

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

fleacircus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 24, 2008, 10:28:00 pm »

Are there any dwarves left from the original 7?

I checked the last save and none of the child-dorfs from my turn were alive (and even on my turn they all had a bunch of dead parents and siblings). This fortress is fookin' grim, man.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 25, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »

Alright, I've hit autumn. Sorry I'm taking so long, but as I may have mentioned before, the spire is causing a whole ton of lag, and I'm also working on the dwarven tournament.

Also, to answer your question, there is one living child in the fortress right now (who I think came with this year's immigrant wave) and 13 dead ones, including the child-prophet.

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 26, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

Take me out of the rotation please.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 26, 2008, 12:25:00 pm »

what a shame ;_;
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 26, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »

Alright, I hit adamantine *again*. This happened about the same time a goblin siege showed up. I've just saved, and now that I actually need to, I'm going to start playing around with the levers. I'm nearly certain one of them raises the drawbridge, but since I don't know which, I'm going to play the "pull the lever, measure results, and save scum" game.

fleacircus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 26, 2008, 04:57:00 pm »

Which drawbridge? You might be able to play the "go back and read the thread" game instead.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 26, 2008, 05:24:00 pm »

Nah, it all worked out. I found which one did it on the first try. However, I ended up deciding to leave the draw bridge down so that the goblins could all run themselves into the weapon traps. There was a single casualty, but he had come in the recent immigrant wave and was not very experienced. It could have gone much, much worse considering the 5 squadrons the goblins had sent (including a bowgoblin/elite bowgoblin squadron), so I'm not complaining.

Preview for next update:

In retrospect, opening up the pits is not one of the best ways to reduce lag. I figure the framerate will return to "normal" when the fires go out, though.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 27, 2008, 03:19:00 am »

fuck yeah spirits of fire

what else could we expect from such a thouroughly doomed fortress

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 27, 2008, 10:04:00 am »

Events of the 1st of Timber

Valter had called the committee of previous overseers again.

"Brethren, you may not feel the pull. Working as you have been on masonry and construction, you may not hear the voices that call to you. But I still mine, and I can hear it. We're dwarves, dang it! We mine! It's what we do!

"Which is why I'm suggesting we open the adamantine mines. It's our calling! It's what we're meant to do!

"Madness!" yelled Dopefish. "You forget about the demons!"

"I haven't forgotten about the demons, Dopefish. I have a plan, but, uh..."

"What is it? Spit it out!"

"Well, I have a way to find out where the pits are without any major casualties, but we'd have to sacrifice one of the dwarves to do it..."

"Oh, that. Ok, might I suggest Erib? He hasn't got any skills at all, and he doesn't even talk to anybody. What's the plan?

"What? You don't mind killing one of our dwarves?"

"Valter, " interrupted Likot, the eighth overseer. "You just mine here. I keep track of the records. And it just so happens that there are three times as many dead dwarves in this fortress as there are live ones. I hate to throw away life just as much as the next guy, but if one sacrifice is enough to guarantee greatness for us all, then I think we'd all be willing to do it."

"Well, then, that should make this easier. Anyway, here's the plan...."

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 27, 2008, 10:17:00 am »

10th Timber

Erib was eating in the massive food room in the spire. He had at first been ecstatic at the thought of leaving his homeland to make a name for himself in one of the empire's many settlements. However, he knew now that he had made a very wrong decision in heading to this one. The stink of death hung heavily over this place, from the hordes of decaying goblin equipment in front of the great wall to the massive graveyard that rested at the bottom of the chasm. He had been even more alarmed to learn that the entire population wished to dislodge the precarious spire from its holdings and ride into the chasm "Back to their original element". However, at the time he learned this, it was already too late to leave.

When the spire's current overseer started coming towards him, he was at first worried. However, the leader's benign expression threw him off.

"Erib!" exclaimed Valter. "I understand that you've spent your time here so far hauling objects to and fro like some pack animal. I am deeply sorry that I did not notice that you were not getting the recognition you deserve. So, I have a better job for you. Soon your name will sung through all the dwarven lands!"

"Oh, please," said Erib. All this sugar-coating could only mean that he was being given some other menial task. "There's nothing that famous that could be done in this hole, unless you intend for me to pull the lever."

"Ha! Ha! Ha! Don't be silly! But really, don't bring up the lever. I've been trying to keep my mind off that since I got here! No, no, you'll be doing something far more important. You'll be digging in the adamantine shaft!"

"Wh... What? There's adamantine here?"

"Yes! I've been trying to keep it quiet so far, because I didn't want riots to break loose. However, it's time to get the word out. Soon we shall be rich and famous beyond all our wildest dreams! But: you would have to agree with the job for us to go through with it."

"bluh.... Of course! When do I start?"

"As soon as possible, Erib. As soon as possible."

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 27, 2008, 10:33:00 am »

12th Timber

Erib looked at the peculiar light blue pound signs on the wall ahead of him. So there really was adamantine here. Maybe he had made the right choice in coming here after all.

Valter came down next to him. He would be supervising the work. "Now, Erib, you'll have to get some experience in mining before you actually mine the adamantine. There's a specific art to mining out chunks of ore that can be used for metalsmithing. Try mining some of the granite there. Skirt around the adamantine so that we can know exactly where it is when we start mining it out."

"Ok, then..." Erib swung the pick at the granite wall. And again. And again. Nothing happened. However, Valter was there to give some tips, so he took some advice and tried again. Soon he was making progress through the tough granite. Oddly, Valter decided to stay back by the entrance.

"Keep it up, Erib! I'll just stay here! If anything bad happens, it's easier for me to make my way back to get help!" It was good enough for Erib.

4 hours later:

"Uhhh...."

"What is it, Erib?"

"Well, the pick sounds odd. The sound when I hit the wall is different."

"Well, that IS odd. Just keep going towards it! It might be important!"

"Well, ok....."

10 minutes later

"What the hell?!"

"What is it, Erib?"

"There's.... There's... a cavern! In the middle of the mountain!"

"Well, that's odd! Give me a minute, I'll be right there!" This was Valter's cue. He grabbed the granite blocks he had brought with him and starting laying them to make a wall.

"What's this on the ground... It's ashes! Ashes and charcoal! It's like some huge fire happened! In the middle of a mountain!"

"Fascinating, fascinating..." Valter had placed the blocks up to his head by now. He hastened to put up the last few.

"Well, look at this! There are stairs leading up and down! And they're carved! It's like some lives in the middle of a mountain! And look at thi- OH GOD THE INHUMANITY! I'M ON FIRE! HELP!"

"I'll be right there..." Valter put the last block in place. Then he built another wall behind it to make sure. At least he now knew where the demons lived.

It was time to start mining adamantine.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 27, 2008, 10:42:00 am »

hmmm, once we got the normal stuff, weapons and armor done, what will we do with the leftover adamantine ?

I vote that the highst level of the tower will be made of adamantine

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 27, 2008, 11:25:00 am »

I agree, actually. We're looking at about 200 units of raw adamantine, without having to breach the pits. Also:

Yikes. I don't know how they've been wearing out those corpses, but I don't want to know either. Demons are not your friend.

EDIT: semi-important note: When the spirits of fire toasted Erib, they set the charcoal laying around the pits on fire. It's been burning for a little while now, and I hope they turn to ash soon, 'cause it's killing my CPU. Also, I'd hate to pass off my fortress to someone else with an FPS of 2 or 3.

Also, I've decided that one of the original sources of lag is the animals. I'm having just about all of them butchered, which will mean some waste on skins and perhaps meat. If you want to make the system more efficient on your turn, be my guest, but I'm just trying to shuffle as many cows of the mortal coil as I can before my turn ends.

[ April 27, 2008: Message edited by: GeneralValter ]

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 27, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »

Winter time. Raw adamantine estimates are now closer to 300-400. There's a lot of adamantine here. Animal count is down to around 170.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23