Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23

Author Topic: The Chasm-Challenge  (Read 29609 times)

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Chasm-Challenge
« Reply #210 on: April 16, 2008, 08:23:00 am »

I was planning, before things got out of hand on my turn / other people's bizarre irrigation schemes made it a little improbable, to try to create a wall of steam surrounding the fortress.  It was not a very GOOD plan, but I think it could be successfully adapted to broil the adamantine pits clean.

There should still be plenty of room in the mass grave at the level you'll get to by hitting f8, but feel free to move the coffins.  The lever to the right of the WAFD one can go.  I was going to hook some bridges down in the chasm up to it but that's a project that can wait, I think.

"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 16, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »

To his majesty Ezum Larablel, the enlightened ruler of the Fortress of Scouring

1st Granite, 1060
I have taken over the control of The Spread Silvers. It had to be done! The civilians will never finish The Tower without some proper military discipline drilled in them and my position as the captain of the fortress guard was not enough. It required no violence to shift the control of the fortress to me, the military authority. Just a little diplomatic persuassion of the previous overseer Dopefish Elbelzefon, to skip the usual elections. There were no complaints and I believe they are actually glad that someone with my authority took over. Dopefish is an excelent worker who makes the most squarish stone blocks, but he didn't have the heart for proper leadership. I also intend to give the control over to my sucessor as my term is over. But I will make shure that he is of the proper stock.
There will be no more loitering in the outside, collecting trinkets for oneself, no more wasting time on pointless hobbies and we shall complete the tower for the glory of yourself and the Fortress of Scouring.
I am also happy to report that the maddness of the posessed child is forgoten, his teachings burried with the dead and no one suspects our involvement in his death.

Your faithful servant, Mebzuth Zonnil Laluzlir Umam, member of the obsidian guard and captain of the guard of The Spread Silvers.

-end letter-

I don't intend to move the coffins, but it should be done some day and I only wanted to make shure I don't do anything with the place where we want to put them.
The levers are a problem as they are scattered around and hard to figure out, some are obsolete and for one floodgate I can't find a lever, although the floodgate has two mechanisms in it. And it's the only one I need to open.
I have forbid most ouf the outside items and many inside, plus removed most of the stockpiles and disabled the ones left. Except the food ones, of course.
I'm focusing on building with "mobile mason units" and setting up a permanent food production chain. Farms on the bottom, plant stockpile above them, workshops on the next level and food stockpile on the next level. I'll turn the entire level 5, looking from the bottom up, into a dinning room. The rest of levels 1-4 should be enough for other industry and store.

Need help with posting images as I'm doing this for the first time. Is it possile to directly link an image on the photobucket and how, or do I need another site for that?

[ April 16, 2008: Message edited by: Mlittle ]

[ April 16, 2008: Message edited by: Mlittle ]

With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 16, 2008, 04:25:00 pm »

If you browse through all the the pages of this topic, you should see some pictures describing some of the lever's actions. If you're really adventurous, try opening it up, pulling every lever, seeing what each one does, and then save scumming and trying again.
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 17, 2008, 08:42:00 am »

1st slate, 1060

The work orders have been handed out and we now have four dwarfs that are to keep the workforce fed and drunk. Urdim Oddomdalzat is the mechanic and Likot Mingkilber takes care of the paperwork. The rest have all been put on the masonry duty. With Dopefish serving as a foreman.

But Urdim the Mechanic got himself killed. He foolishly wandered outside while we were testing the levers. He was stuck outside because we raised the outer bridge. It trully wasn't his day, as the goblin army assaulted us at the same moment and he was shoot and killed before the bridge could be lowered. But it was in time to let the goblins in and Urdim's traps did a beautiful work on them and the rest fled. Next we almost lost the Baroness, as she was the first outside at the traps. I bet it was to get new helms for her collection and not clean traps as she tried to convince Ral. It was the next wave that almost got to her. She can move real fast when in danger and she got past the second line of traps before them. They too fled after witnessing the art of our traps on them. Too bad I wasn't able to personaly engage the goblins, but running this place demands my constant attention. So I had to make Ral Onulostuk the mechanic. He isn't much, but is the only one with the slightest idea how to set up traps.

1st felsite, 1060
I have promoted Libash Matulkeskal into a marksdwarf. I hold no illusions of building an army, but she is needed for sentry duty, so she has been stationed at the top of the tower. She looked at me, kind of strange, when I gave her the orders and her handling of a crossbow is less than I expect from a proper soldier, so she is just a recruit for now. Likot Mingkilber has been given the duty of carving bone arrows for her, next to his regular job. He should be able to do that bit while doing the paperwork. The rest are coming along fine, working harder than ever before. Just Dopefish, he has proven to me once more that he doesn't have what it takes to be a leader. He is too soft. He is spending all his free time caring after wounded animals. Vabok the Miner is a new foreman and I have titled Dopefish an Animal Caretaker, but keep him on masonry because he is bloody good at it.

1st hematite, 1060
It was a calm month. Lots of work done and no sign of the elves. The goblins must have gotten those weirdos. Good for us. Likot has finally managed to finish the meeting with the human merchant princess. We are also moving the baroness and with all her helms it is the biggest project so far. Her old quarters are now part of the new dinning room. Ar at least what is supposed to be a dinning room. Most love it, as it is, but it should be made better, some day. Libash is coming around fine with her crossbow and is now a proper soldier. Ral the Mechanic has convinced me to start a new project. An access tunnel underneath the road. The front bridge controls which path the invaders have to take. Much fun with the traps we should have.

Mebzuth Zonnil Laluzlir Umam, member of the obsidian guard and captain of the guard of The Spread Silvers.

-edited to try the pictures-
It's easier than I thought and that is why it didn't work first time.

[ April 18, 2008: Message edited by: Mlittle ]

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2008, 09:25:00 am »

1st malachite, 1060
The human caravan has arrived and the merchant princess is back with us. But this time Likot found time to conduct the meeting right away. Could it be I don't give him enough work? I have also found out that there can be too much discipline. When I gave him the trade orders he didn't seem satisfied, but kept quiet. Later I found out I made  mistake with the order and now we have even more animals. Like we need them. At least the booze and the metal bars were a good purchase. Lokum kilrudneth Olonud Bumal has been reelected as a mayor. He is a good friend and a dedicated guard, so he is a good choice. Ral the Mechanic has found some dead goblins, but can't say if two or three, as the traps completely butchered them. A kobold thief tried to sneak in and was spotted. Unfortunately Libash the Marksdwarf missed it and it got away. I had to lighten the workorders as miasma started spreading and Vabok the miner informed me, that the workers don't have time to clean it up, with all the masonry they have to do.

1st galena, 1060
It was the calmest month so far. Not that I'm complaining as we were able to do a lot of work on the tower. The merchants have left, ridding us of some goblin junk.

1st limestone, 1060
The water system for the new farm is operational. It isn't finished and there are some design flaws, but it works. We are left with the mess made by water, but next time it will work better. With the end of summer and half point of my service I'm holding a meeting today to discuss the work done and the future plans.

Mebzuth Zonnil Laluzlir Umam, member of the obsidian guard and captain of the guard of The Spread Silvers.

The farms, still with some water. The grate in top left is the drain and water comes down at a bottom right corner. It's much bigger than what the fortress needs at present.

The plant stockpile above the farm. Bones are leftovers from before.

Food precessing workshops in the making, above the plant stockpile.

The booze and prepaired food stockpile, one level up from the workshops. Again bigger than needed. But there are more than enough barrels to fill that up.

This should be the legendary dinning room. The baroness has been moved, the rest of the noble quarters should be soon, but it will be left to someone else to redesign and decorate it.

The top of the farm watering system. Works but needs improvement. The water should probably come in, one tile right from the grate. I hoped it could be made without permanent attachment to the tower, but couldn't find a good way.

Comments on the pictures, as I'm doing it for the first time.

[ April 18, 2008: Message edited by: Mlittle ]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2008, 09:29:00 am »

why is there a chair in the irrigation system ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

Why is there a chair in the irrigation system, how come lava is pouring into the farms?

WHAT IS WITH ALL THE QUESTIONS! Accept that the answer is "Because someone wanted to sit and think" and back off!

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »

suddenly I have the feeling that it was not Mlittle who is responsible for the irrigation chair *eyes Kogan supsiciously*
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 19, 2008, 10:43:00 am »

for ridding permanent attachment, do pillars hold in water? My thought is having a cistern above the farm, and a z level where the pillars act as a spigot. Attach the pillars to the WAFD lever, and while it may be attached in theory, the lever takes care of that. Of course with what I can tell of your current setup, you'd need to rebuild an entire section... just a thought though.

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 19, 2008, 11:46:00 am »

1st sandstone, 1060
The caravan from the mountain homes has arrived and Likot made some good trades. We were able to get metal bars and some gems for the goblin junk. Who will want it back in the mountain homes is beyon me, but they are the merchants. While they enjoyed our hospitality a siege happened, but I was asleep at that time and no one woke me up. It was Zon Fikodbudam Ilusangrir Tishak the Hammerer, who made the decision. We lost no one so I shall not press the matter. He even made some sketches of how it all went

He called the first one, the narrow bastards marching to their doom.

This one is titled, having fun with a lever, apparently he personaly operated the lever for the bridge.

This is, the narrow bastards get some reinforcements and feel brave again.

Next is, more fun with the lever makes narrow bastards run away.

This one he calls, the spectators, but I'd say the scavengers lack discipline is more fitting.

Next in the collection is, run, narrow bastard, run.

The last one he named, smart narrow bastards never fight.

1st timber, 1060
Libash the Marskdwarf reported a couple of kobold thieves got away with some goblin junk. I do wonder how did she notice them get away, but failed to spot them when they came in and took the items. I will have a few stern words with her. Even if it was junk, it is about the principle, that we kill all intruders. The merchants left us and work is continuing according to plan.

1st moonstone, 1060
So far I was able to talk the nobles out of making any special demands, on account of importance and the amount of work that has to be done, but not anymore. Once the baroness made the first demand, there was no end to them. Luckily there were no problems meeting the demands, but that took precious time away from the important work. The Hammerer had a party, don't know what it was for. I just forbade any workers to attend. Can't have them partying when there is work to be done. I'm shure the Hammerer didn't mind, to party just with the Baroness. The stone smoothing skill of Atir the Engraver has made him a legend and maybe I will find some actual engraving work for him.

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 19, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

1st opal, 1060
Another kobold thief, but this time Libash the Marksdwarf shoot and killed it. With the last season, time is running short for all the work to be done. The floor on the level four is finished and the food properly stored, but there are still the walls on levels six to nine to finish.

1st obsidian, 1060
More miasma. Again there was no one free to clean up and the remains started to rot. The masonry is mostly done, but now there are other things to take care of. It all has to be made less chaotic for the next overseer. To ease the transition. Sarvesh Tarmisfikod is growing fast, she is now big enough to look after herself, to some extend and will grow to be a capable adult.

1st granite 1061
Today marks the end of my service as overseer. Nothing much happened in the last month outside of work being done. I have promoted Libash the marksdwarf into an elite marksdwarf as my last act. Now I am to hand over the report on the fortress status to my sucessor.

The save on DFFD.
GeneralValter, if you have any questions regarding the situation in game just ask.

fleacircus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

Aren't I after GeneralValter?

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 19, 2008, 02:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
<STRONG>why is there a chair in the irrigation system ?</STRONG>

That is not a chair, but top tile of one wide bridge. I wanted to use raisable bridges to bring water to the tower. One in the middle and one more at each side. With so much spilover and with the water coming in at a poor location I abandoned that and just walled in, the one bridge in the middle.

quote:
Originally posted by Donkringel:
<STRONG>for ridding permanent attachment, do pillars hold in water? My thought is having a cistern above the farm, and a z level where the pillars act as a spigot. Attach the pillars to the WAFD lever, and while it may be attached in theory, the lever takes care of that. Of course with what I can tell of your current setup, you'd need to rebuild an entire section... just a thought though.</STRONG>

I'm not sure I understand your plan and if you understand what bothers me with the setup. It is the permanent connection between the well room and the water source that I would prefer to be without. So the issue is, how to fill the water tank without permanently connecting the tower to the surroundings, given the situation at hand.

The trade depo is full of items that can be sold. I forbid them so the little fellas don't move them away. Can just reclaim them when the merchants are present. There are two operational finished goods stockpiles with also forbiden items in them on top of normal ones. It's messy but there is so much of that junk.

I didn't do much with the levers, except probably added to the mess. Didn't want to invest more time into them as it is impossible to say where they fit best, with the present state of the tower.

I left holes on floor 4 on purpouse, so who ever lays down the stockpiles and workshops can decide if he wants pillars or solid walls. Just don't do another room of doors and beds.

I didn't like the entrance from outside into the walled area and also don't like how I made it, but I believe that the tunnel is the step in the right direction. Now I think that the aboveground entrance should be walled, screen wall removed, the tunnel extended closer to the tower and a screen wall around that. With raisable bridges that can separate the courtyard from the invaders, or something.

Next idea was one raisable bridge on each level, connecting the tower to the rest of that level. How that sounds?

quote:
Originally posted by fleacircus:
<STRONG>Aren't I after GeneralValter?</STRONG>

You are not on the list on the first page, so I doubt it.

Akroma, can you put me at the bottom of the list for another turn?

[ April 19, 2008: Message edited by: Mlittle ]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 19, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »

@fleacircus

oops I must have missed you request to have another turn

I will put you in after generalvalter, if that is ok with you

@Mlittle

sure

I am amazed how popular this has become, seeing how many other succesion challenges barely can fill their list

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 19, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »

And so it begins. Or continues. I guess it all depends on how you look at it. Anywho.... let's get this thing downloaded.

EDIT 1:

1st of Granite:

First impression: What the fuck. Second impression: well, heck, I guess this could be fun.
  Third impression:

OH SHI- wait a sec, they're in cages, never mind (NOTE TO SELF: make arena on one of the chasm-thingy floors!). This will take some getting used to.

Note: I'm currently using the printscreen button and pasting images into a microsoft paint document, which then goes on imageshack. If you have better ideas, feel free to divulge them.

[ April 19, 2008: Message edited by: GeneralValter ]

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23