Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23

Author Topic: The Chasm-Challenge  (Read 29629 times)

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Chasm-Challenge
« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »

I know.  I had taken care of that for about seven z-levels up from the base, with one exception I am channeling out now (edit: and one I apparently skipped).  I think we've successfully managed to suspend this thing like a beehive, for what that's worth!

[ April 02, 2008: Message edited by: Snugglebear ]

"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 02, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »

Such carnage :O
I'm afraid to ask what's the current total-dead-to-currently-living ratio.
Are they tantruming much?
I guess the partying might help it some.

(And how do you know the lever doesn't work? Tried? This seems exactly the sort of thing it was designed for  :D)

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 02, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »

Yeah, I pulled it.  I noticed after that post that I missed connecting some supports, which I can only attribute to someone queueing up like 120 mechanisms I never bothered to cancel.

I'm saved in late autumn.  Population 17.  So far as I am concerned, and this will be reflected in the my log, the Hammerer is in charge now.  He's killed both dwarves who were persistently tantrum, slaughtered the goblins that made it past the "defenses", and generally rocked hard for the past year.

Also, all the past overseers are dead.  I've appointed a legendary woodcrafter to the position of #8.  Currently I am inclined to blame the "Crown of Luring" for this incident.  Or whoever mined out that gold ore.

"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 02, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »

So I'm pretty sure the time is ripe for an abandon/reclaim if you guys would prefer that to carrying on with a devastated population in an oversized fortress.  Thoughts before I finish out the year?

Dopefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2008, 07:35:00 pm »

Abandon/Reclaim sounds like a plan.  The only problem would be that I've little to no experience with setting up a reclaim party, though I'm sure I can work something out.
~Swim, Swim, Hungry.~~

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 02, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »

If reclaim is anything like it was in 2D, it'll be several years before you finally kill the last sneaky "resident."  Good times will be had by all!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 02, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

Don't abandon. I will happily take the position of a rebuilding year if nobody else wants it.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Dopefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2008, 03:06:00 am »

I don't mind my turn being spent rebuilding either, I just suspect things may rapidly become overwhelming from the myriad sieges we're bound to get.
~Swim, Swim, Hungry.~~

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 03, 2008, 06:35:00 am »

Don't reclaim. Things not going according to plan is half the fun of succession forts. And sign me up for it.

[ April 03, 2008: Message edited by: Mlittle ]

[ April 03, 2008: Message edited by: Mlittle ]

With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 03, 2008, 06:52:00 am »

while I am at it, anyone else going for another turn ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 03, 2008, 08:15:00 am »

The rebuilding year could also include the construction of an elaborate army-sized deathtrap. Or rather, must include :P.

I've tried reclaiming with one of the older saves. All the chasm-dwelling monsters respawn. At least it's not a magic cure, for it will require a lot of effort. Feels less like cheating (especially if you succumb to a siege)

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 03, 2008, 08:17:00 am »

Another turn? Could I take a turn instead? I am quite interested in joining the chasm challenge.
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 03, 2008, 09:41:00 am »

Actually, my main reason for suggesting an abandon/reclaim is concerns about immigration.  17 dwarves in a giant stone beehive is pretty dull (speaking from experience for about half my turn), and with about 55 deaths this year and it being this late in the game we may not be seeing much by way of help arrive.  A reclaim fixes THAT right up if nothing else.

I think this has mainly been a problem of scale: we're trying to build (one square at a time!) and occupy more z-levels than I need for a regular, dug-out fortress.  There are hundreds of stone blocks in the stockpiles (I have been using our virtually-infinite supply of Granite) and we just can't use them fast enough.

But I'll finish the turn out and leave the decision to Dopefish / the whim of hte masses.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 03, 2008, 09:44:00 am »

I think we should only abandon if all dwarves die

which will probably be sometime around the next ambush/siege

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2008, 10:11:00 am »

Nah.  Those bridges are a solid defense.  If I'd noticed and patched the holes in the wall (or if whoever left them there had been responsible and patched them himself...   :D) we'd be in pretty good shape.   As I have now fixed said holes and our food supplies are gigantic I bet we'll be okay just sort of riding the next couple sieges out.

[ April 03, 2008: Message edited by: Snugglebear ]

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23