Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23

Author Topic: The Chasm-Challenge  (Read 29630 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Chasm-Challenge
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2008, 03:57:00 am »

This is great.  For once a community fort with a clear goal:  epic self-destruction.

Remember that if a collapsing floor/wall will break right through a floor (but not a wall).  You can build your WAFD pillars directly beneath the tower if it's made entirely of floor tiles and supports.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2008, 05:08:00 am »

quote:
Hey, wasn't that WAFD thing like an "oh shit" handle? I didn't think the point of this was to build something great the remove it from existance.

(Just wondering, incase I missed something)

HERESY! THROW THE BLASPHEMER INTO THE CHASM!

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Dopefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2008, 07:06:00 am »

I see that somehow, miraculously, I'm still alive.  Anyone got any idea how I suffered that spinal damage, though?
~Swim, Swim, Hungry.~~

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2008, 08:20:00 am »

Yeah, I'm going to take a crack at doing it the way Flea suggested and replace a bunch of the stockpile / work area entrances with bridges, I think.

Kogan (I bet) seems to have done a good job of thinning the area the pillars support down.

No clue where you got the spine injury, but that's probably a "Whoops! Built that wrong!" injury if it wasn't a goblin.

Given the way Dwarf Fortress works, sooner or later any contingency plan becomes mandatory.  I'm not just going to up and pull the lever, have no fear.  What would be the fun in that? Whoever does should consider deliberately leaving some dwarves behind and making them start all over.  :D

"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »

Now, THAT would be hilarious,   Chapter 2  "We all fall down ... again."

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2008, 01:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Snugglebear:
<STRONG>
Kogan (I bet) seems to have done a good job of thinning the area the pillars support down.</STRONG>

*Confesses*
NOW PUT AWAY THE COMFY CHAIR!

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2008, 01:23:00 am »

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

NPComplete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2008, 08:07:00 am »

Hey, sorry fleacircus, I didn't notice that you'd fallen to the goblin hordes.

Assuming we are going to ride this baby down into the earth, perhaps we should set some concrete goals.  Say, a 1x1 (or larger) room for each dwarf (up to 200, I guess), stockpiles of food and booze (however many hundred units of each), etc etc.

Then we can lock each dwarf in his/her room while he sleeps, and leave one or two outside to pull the switch.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »

I am not a fan of WAFD project. The fortress wasn't designed for us to ride it to our doom! Darn Child-Prophet. The Spirit of Kogan Loloklam is doing what he can, but that cursed spirit Olon Kolbufut seems to be whispering in the ears of dwarves. First he sends all the stray animals down into the pit, now he tries to get the dwarves to follow!
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2008, 02:38:00 pm »

Uploaded the newest available map, after NPCompletes turn, beginning of 1058.
Same place as before. (click if you're too lazy to search the tread)
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

Right, so currently I'm about halfway through spring.  I'm going level-by-level detaching the floors from the chasm walls, which is kind of a pain.  Who decided we needed another two floors added to the top of this thing? More substantial notes coming later.
"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

Whoa.

Summer arrived.  So did a vile force of darkness.

Currently there are more goblins here than dwarves.

And I failed to notice a hole someone had left in the defenses digging out that gold vein next to the old door.  The results have been ugly.

[ April 02, 2008: Message edited by: Snugglebear ]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »

oh god so many archers

did ANY dwarves survive ?

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2008, 02:16:00 pm »

21, surprisingly.  The Baron Consort is - I kid you not - throwing a party.  That or he's just attending one thrown by an Engraver who is mysteriously happy about how things have gone.  Possibly she missed 45 dwarves being horribly killed by goblins through being asleep or something.

Also "the lever" doesn't work.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2008, 02:26:00 pm »

judging by the map archieve, there are lots of floors connected to a wall
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23