Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23

Author Topic: The Chasm-Challenge  (Read 29617 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: The Chasm-Challenge
« Reply #195 on: April 11, 2008, 03:16:00 am »

huh ?

I have no idea what you are talking about

unless you willingly wreck it for everyone, you can do as you wish with your turn

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Dopefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 12, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »

Finally done!  Sorry that took so long, I've had the week from hell.

Link to file: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=109

And I wouldn't mind another turn after the current set get finished.

-------

7th Timber

I've not written for a long time... Been rather busy with other projects.  That aside, the trapped entrances got a test recently, and they worked very well.  Wiped out an entire squad of goblin swordsmen.  As well as that, we seem to have quite the collection of Goblin leaders amassing, though past casting them into the chasm, I'm not sure what to do with them.

I am rather struck by how appropriate it is that my commissioned engravings for this year are perfectly in line with the wall that was built to replace the chunk of stone I dug out to escape here in the first place.  Odd coincidence, I suppose.

22nd Moonstone

I'd like to think I've made somewhat of a difference in my time here. For one thing we can now leave the drawbridges down without fear of goblin incursion thanks to all those traps.  For another, things are a tiny bit tidier indoors after all those bins got made.  The courtyard is still a mess of clothes and other goods, though they're in stockpiles now at least.

Also got some noble quarters built.  Big, big rooms, and still they're not satisfied.  Bah.  Nontheless, I think I'll be staying here rather than leaving.  I never much liked the mountainhomes anyway, and this place has calmed down a touch, especially without that mad child running around...

Speaking of children, I should have mentioned the fey mood the Baroness' surviving child entered.  Yeah, well, we didn't have any shell, so he eventually starved to death.  The Baroness seems to be taking it rather well, but to be honest, I don't think she's all here anymore.  At least she's walking around again.

Since I'm staying, I've opted to change my name. Keeping my old one when I'm listed as dead, well... It just doesn't seem right.  Tulonetur.  It has a ring to it, and it is fairly appropriate.  Roadboulders.  The wagon of my life has certainly hit plenty of those, after all.

23rd Moonstone

Sweet Armok's spinal cavity!  So much for what I said about staying; that's a ruddy Hydra!  I'm going to go hide until this blows over...

24th Moonstone

Well, that was anticlimactic.  It got both lungs stoved in by the first weapon trap it stumbled across, then got peppered with crossbow bolts from another and suffocated to death.  I guess we are okay here after all.

11th Obsidian

Still not sure what to do with those goblin rulers we've captured.  Throwing them into the chasm remains tempting, though unoriginal.  Dumping them in the magma might work...  Hopefully, my successor will have some thoughts on the matter.

31st Obsidian

Right, I'm done here.  If anyone needs me, I'll be downstairs, making rock blocks.

- 'Dopefish' Tulonetur, formerly 'Dopefish' Elbelzefon, third and ninth overseer.

~Swim, Swim, Hungry.~~

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 13, 2008, 04:01:00 am »

Guess it's my turn now. The reports coming... soon I hope.

-edit-
This should be fun. That is so different from my fortress layouts. Any user manual for the levers?

[ April 13, 2008: Message edited by: Mlittle ]

With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 13, 2008, 07:25:00 am »

Some pictures have been posted about that. Don't pull the WAFD-lever accidentally :P
EDIT: Pages 2 and 3.

[ April 13, 2008: Message edited by: nahkh ]

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 13, 2008, 09:57:00 am »

What does WAFD stand for? We All Fall Down?

Hurry up with your turn, Mlittle!

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »

Yes, it is the "We all fall Down" Lever.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »

I figured out how to get my map located in the right place. the Chasm Challenge now has it's proper maps from 1055 to 1058.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 14, 2008, 04:48:00 am »

link ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 14, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »

Same link as the other maps. http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2418-chambergrave-chasmchallenge  will take you there.

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 14, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »

This is just a preview on what I'll be doing with our chasm fort and the first real update should be tomorrow, my time.
I don't plan or expect some exciting story from my year, because at the total population of 24, a typical DF plot could doom the fortress. So I'll focus on building up the place and rearrange the stockpiles plus workshops. Now one more thing, should I plan some room for a graveyard and where? Somewhere on the top so I don't have to bother with it, or on the bottom, together with the magma pool, or bellow the current bottom of the tower? I will also probably deconstruct some of the levers as we have about 15 at the moment and many only serve to confuse.
And to the guy that comes behind me, hope I won't create too many loose ends with my plans that could totaly confuse you.
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

fleacircus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 14, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »

Do you plan on moving the dozens of coffins? If so, I'd suggest moving them into a new layer below the bottom so they don't have to be dragged to far.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 15, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »

The bottom level sounds fine, with one condition.
DO NOT DIG WEST. I repeat, DO NOT DIG WEST. Don't ask why, just don't do it.
Um, the eastern has nicer rock, yes that's it, suitable for proper burial chambers.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 15, 2008, 09:07:00 pm »

But the Antechamber of Darkness needs the perfect mood lighting!

/boatmurdered reference.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2008, 02:04:00 am »

I for one would welcome the big immigration waves that come along with adamantine
just rewall it quickly anough and we will be fine

What's the worst that's gonna happen

- Famous last words, Akroma

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2008, 03:01:00 am »

I recommend flooding it with magma, allowing the magma vent to be channelled into the darkness,to fill it with light as only dwarves can. then cut off the magma with water, to seal them in with its fieriness, and come back later to loot. (after it turns to obsidian. engineering skills probably required) also , if the magma is left in the depths it will light the journey for the intrepid dwarves to their legendary journey to the core.
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23