Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Generic Arms Race, Blue Faction - Design Phase, 0001  (Read 3963 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Arms Race, Blue Faction - Design Phase, 0000
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2024, 06:03:43 am »

If we're not doing chessy stuff this is my proposal;
Quote from: Swarmer
Swarmers are small, fast, skittering, six-legged assemblies of metacrystal. They have a pincer on their front and their rear is a device used to make other swarmers. Swarmers can only make swarmers (or other very similar swarmer vairents we design in the future) but do so rather rapidly allowing for quick, exponential growth of their numbers. When approaching an enemy they will attempt to either burrow into or latch onto them. Once secured they'll begin to vibrate and resonate quickly detonating in an explosion of crystal shards and released energy

Quote from: Voicebox
Bishop ():
Fairy Gate ():
-Primary?: TricMagic
Reaver ():
Bulwark (1): Jerick
-Primary?:
Swarmer (1): Jerick
Roll the Dice, let them fall where they may ():

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2024, 11:17:56 am »

Fear is the mindkiller. Though It'd be silly to be caught with the Wizard chess piece when they have a Bishop.
On the contrary I'd much rather have THE WIZARD
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Wizard
A purple clothed crystal being specialized in metamagical flow. The cloth acts as conductor for magical energy, allowing the piece to build up a large amount of energy into a compressed sphere before lobbing it at foes. Like most compressed energy when containment fails, it explodes. Violently. Comes with a cool staff topped in a cyan blue crystal filled with the compression spell formula. Fights from the mid/backlines ordering others to protect it. Low Usage.

Bishop ():
Fairy Gate ():
-Primary?:
Reaver ():
-Primary?:
Bulwark (2): Jerick, TricMagic
-Primary?:
The Wizard (1): TricMagic
One Wizard for your wizarding needs.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 06:40:22 pm by TricMagic »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2024, 03:26:17 pm »

I like the thought of the Wizard + Bulwark combo. Though I don't know if we actually have cloth, squishy high-damage Caster hiding behind a big tank is a tried and true combo. I'll still vote for the Reaver(will vote when I get home) but I'll switch to Wizard if nobody has sided with me when the soft deadline starts to close in.

Also a concept I want to

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2024, 03:46:55 pm »

Deign phase is usually when you design things. Given the lack of a revision phase. (In which you revise stuff you already have.)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2024, 05:06:36 pm »

Didn't realize I didn't finish what I was saying last time before posting, guess I got caught up in something and just hit post. I was gonna say that a concept I want to Shift next turn is the addition of some typical fantasy 'elements' for magic+monster purposes.

Also, Fallacy did explicitly say that designs made using non-metacrystal materials(and presumably more complex 'magic' than "throw energy at it") are more difficult unless you Shift those materials/concepts into being.

Edit: remembered to vote
Bishop ():
Fairy Gate ():
-Primary?:
Reaver (1): Failbird
-Primary?: Failbird
Bulwark (3): Jerick, TricMagic, Failbird
-Primary?:
The Wizard (1): TricMagic
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 05:47:40 pm by Failbird105 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2024, 06:40:59 pm »

Fair. Will change back to just explosions then, cut the beam. Cause when you stuff enough into something, it tends to explode. And AoE is a good tool to have.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2024, 07:16:55 pm »

Also, another unit idea I really want to try to do something with.

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2024, 02:23:46 am »

Supporting tric may as well gib majority

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2024, 09:50:23 am »

Supporting tric may as well gib majority
Bishop ():
Fairy Gate ():
-Primary?:
Reaver (1): Failbird
-Primary?: Failbird
Bulwark (4): Jerick, TricMagic, Failbird, Thanatos Russ
-Primary?:
The Wizard (2): TricMagic, Thanatos Russ
Thank ye for thy contribution to magical might and walls.
As a side note, don't need to put your full name in votebox. Russ or Thanatos would do.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2024, 12:13:44 pm »

Okay I've got 3 more hours until I get home, I'll swap my votes then

Edit:
Bishop ():
Fairy Gate ():
-Primary?:
Reaver ():
-Primary?:
Bulwark (4): Jerick, TricMagic, Failbird, Thanatos Russ
-Primary?:
The Wizard (3): TricMagic, Thanatos Russ, Failbird
-Primary?: TricMagic, Failbird
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 03:44:01 pm by Failbird105 »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2024, 10:37:33 pm »

Design Phase 0000:

Quote from: Bulwark
A large humanoid construct made of durable metacrystal, colored according to the faction it belongs to. Moves at a brisk walk and in solid formations. Complex intelligence, may follow complex directions and move in complex formations. Wields a pair of metacrystal tower shields that deal minor damage but have a high likelihood of blocking attacks, especially in proper formation.

Bulwark:
(5, 2) = 7

The Bulwark stands among your Rooks, its metacrystal shining blue. Much like your other units, it has a humanoid form. Its legs are optimized enough to allow it to move at a brisk walk, despite its relative bulk. The fact that it's fully made from durable-pattern metacrystal does mean that it's not exactly the easiest thing to produce, though. It does not communicate, but it does listen, and the three Bulwarks you've produced as a test easily align themselves into a shieldwall. They have no manipulation digits at the ends of their arms, instead they carry a pair of shields.

Two things are very apparent. The Bulwark will be very difficult to destroy (at least without innovation in destructive methods), and it can't be produced in great enough numbers to make up any sort of bulk force. Low Usage.

The Wizard
A purple clothed crystal being specialized in metamagical flow. The cloth acts as conductor for magical energy, allowing the piece to build up a large amount of energy into a compressed sphere before lobbing it at foes. Like most compressed energy when containment fails, it explodes. Violently. Comes with a cool staff topped in a cyan blue crystal filled with the compression spell formula. Fights from the mid/backlines ordering others to protect it. Low Usage.

Wizard:
(6, 3) + 1 - 2 = 8

While metacrystal is malleable enough to form energy-channeling cloth, it's not exactly the simplest process. Your new Wizard stands humanoid, shining blue underneath the purple crystal-cloth you've opted to armor him in. It's not exactly programmed to move in formation, nor to cooperate with your other units. Instead, it specializes in one thing and one thing only. The Wizard specializes in destruction. When it lifts its stave tool and fully charges a destruction orb, it can leave behind a small crater in the blank granite of the base battlefield, leaving a few sacrificial Pawns in fragments. It seems likely that Knights and Rooks will fare better, though.

Considering the volatility of the energy it channels and compresses, it is likely that striking it while it is charging an attack will not end well. Your Rooks will ensure that it is well guarded - perhaps even by your new Bulwarks.

While it is not made of durable metacrystal, and thus its form is easier to produce, the complexity of the channeling cloth ensures that it will nonetheless be fairly costly to produce. Low Usage.

Reversal Die: 2.

The force of chaos that is the Reversal Die does not strike this Design Phase.

Spoiler: Current Designs (click to show/hide)
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Arms Race, Blue Faction - Battle Phase, 0000
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2024, 11:13:49 am »

Cloth Shroud should at least make it simple to form alts. Also got an idea to use the stuff to form golems with a central core, using it as a conductor. Overall a very productive turn.

Bulwarks can have a lesser version. Keep the shield, standard metacrystal durability. Perhaps we should shift a Revision Phase into being?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Arms Race, Blue Faction - Battle Phase, 0000
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2024, 07:07:25 pm »

Cloth Shroud should at least make it simple to form alts. Also got an idea to use the stuff to form golems with a central core, using it as a conductor. Overall a very productive turn.

Bulwarks can have a lesser version. Keep the shield, standard metacrystal durability. Perhaps we should shift a Revision Phase into being?

I think Revisions would be helpful. Especially because it'll allow us to adjust or fix things that the Reverse 6 might hand us.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Arms Race, Blue Faction - Shift Phase, 0001
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2024, 09:28:12 pm »

Alright, I don't have much time for idea-making right now, but I'm gonna say it before it potentially happens:

It will be hilarious if we design a structure-breaking unit, they design a structure-repairing unit, and we roll the 6.

We, with no Structures to repair, now get a repair unit and motivation to design structures next turn, while they, with no enemy structures to break, get just a basic artillery unit.

It'd be a worse deal for us overall, but still funny.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Arms Race, Blue Faction - Shift Phase, 0001
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2024, 10:17:09 am »

Well before designs we need to come up with a shift. How do people feel about inventing more resources?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6