Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Generic Arms Race, Blue Faction - Design Phase, 0001  (Read 3959 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Arms Race, Blue Faction - Shift Phase, 0000
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2024, 08:50:48 pm »

Also I kinda like how we're really just hoping that Red Team Shifts in some form of actual battlefield to fight in. Because I don't quite know how to envision the first turn if no such thing is done.

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2024, 06:13:57 pm »

Battlefields are too vanilla

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2024, 08:28:26 pm »

Just a reminder that the soft deadline for the first Shift Phase is in 30 minutes, and making a selection before the soft deadline awards a +1 bonus to your first Design.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2024, 08:47:09 pm »

Hmmm...
Quote from: votebox
Named heroes:(1) Thanatos Russ,
Reverse 6:(3) Tric Magic, Jerick, Failbird
Worst case scenario, it does a funny on turn one and either us or the Red Team Shift it away the very next turn. I figure it's worth that minor risk to get a +1

I wouldn't quite say the vote is decided since it's a 2 vote lead and we have two members who haven't voted, but one hasn't posted at all and the other hasn't given a vote for the entire span of the box so I guess it works?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 08:55:21 pm by Failbird105 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Arms Race, Blue Faction - Design Phase, 0000
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2024, 09:38:00 pm »

And so it begins.

Rook to Bishop
A humanoid construct made of energized metacrystal. Colored a deep version of the faction it belongs to.  Moves at a brisk walk, and may communicate at moderate to long distances. Complex intelligence, may direct other constructs and share information. Emits long-ranged energy beams that deal minor damage, over a wide area, and can provide quick supporting fire.
Armies are balanced between their parts. Where one may need walls of soldiers, or simple numbers, there still needs to be an answer to problems in battle,. A Bishop's magical ai can provide a perfect counter to numbers.

Fairy Gate
A wide ring of metacrystals placed upon the ground, energy jumping between the crystals. Colored a very deep version of the color of the faction it belongs to. May be controlled by other constructs. Allows teleportation between all other Gate-types.. Can be assembled quickly, but fragile. Disassembly is impossible without breaking it.
The Fairy Gates are said to lead to Underhill, where time is a suggestion, and the Fey rule. They use them to travel between their world and ours.

Fairy Gates for the bonus, Bishops totake avantage of the open area. Speed is no issue when you can appear suddenly.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2024, 10:03:48 pm »

Quote from: Reaver
A large(about twice the height of a pawn upright), inhuman construct made of durable metacrystal, colored according to the faction it belongs to. Moves at a slow walk when upright, or a sprint on all fours. Moderate Intelligence, can follow moderately advanced directions, but cannot move in formation due to feral mind. Its forelimbs end in metacrystal scythes that deal moderate damage in broad sweeping slashes.
A solid crowd-clearing shock troop, sprints ahead of the army and then gets up and starts cleaving gashes into the front line when it reaches them. Will serve to massively soften the enemy force before our army proper even engages.

Quote from: Bulwark
A large humanoid construct made of durable metacrystal, colored according to the faction it belongs to. Moves at a brisk walk and in solid formations. Complex intelligence, may follow complex directions and move in complex formations. Wields a pair of metacrystal tower shields that deal minor damage but have a high likelihood of blocking attacks, especially in proper formation.
A living wall. In theory while the Reavers are charging in and opening holes in the enemies lines, the Bulwarks would be marching in front and guarding our front lines from Rook beams or whatever other ranged weapons the enemy potentially develop.

Best case scenario with the Shift: our rolls fuck up and theirs are great, then the reversal rolls a 6. Worst case scenario is the inverse; we succeed, they fail, and the 6 is rolled.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2024, 08:42:49 am »

Honestly too melee focused. Where is the psuedomagic?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2024, 09:57:05 am »

I'm primarily taking things easy this turn to do some difficulty gauging. Once I know about how difficult something like the Reaver, which has so many features compared to our starter forces, would be, I'll be more confident going for more advanced stuff.

Also, I think I'd prefer we get a dedicated builder unit before making any additional static structures.

I also think the straight upgrade from Rook to Bishop is rather obvious and somewhat boring. I'd prefer to do something more unique with the name Bishop than just upgrade the Rook, if we do anything with the name.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2024, 11:23:20 am »

Fair, but simple is a good thing on the first design. Easy bonuses, can get a lead on a foe.

I'm also looking at the battlefield. It's flat. No cover besides what you make. Fairy Gates can allow troops to transport far faster to the front/midline while Gates are set up in the back to produce the troops.

Advance Sprite
A fae-like being being made out of metacrystal, it's capable of swift movement and is capable of complex operations, able to store and build immobile structures from parts via attached floating carts shaped like flower buds. They are capable of working together in courts, and serve as the backbone of our armies supporting structures. (Need Fairy Gate)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2024, 02:19:52 pm »

Should we agree to roll the dice, or can we come to a voite?

Quote from: Voicebox
Bishop ():
Fairy Gate ():
-Primary?: TricMagic
Reaver ():
-Primary?: TricMagic
Bulwark ():
-Primary?:
Roll the Dice, let them fall where they may ():

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2024, 02:29:36 pm »

I would personally have liked to stick with the vaguely chessy theme, but I'm not sure that interpretation of a bishop is really worth it.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2024, 02:31:56 pm »

I'm open to alternate Bishop suggestions.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2024, 08:35:44 pm »

So here's the thing, I do like the idea of going for Chess themes, but I feel like when they've already been handed to both teams like this I'm not a fan.

Because you see, it's too obvious. If we get to the next turn and Red team doesn't have their own Bishop design, then I'd be up for doing more Chess stuff, but I just worry that it's going to get real annoying for us to discuss and Fallacy to write battles for when both teams have a completely different unit with the exact same name.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2024, 10:15:18 pm »

Fear is the mindkiller. Though It'd be silly to be caught with the Wizard chess piece when they have a Bishop.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2024, 11:38:42 pm »

Fear is the mindkiller. Though It'd be silly to be caught with the Wizard chess piece when they have a Bishop.
On the contrary I'd much rather have THE WIZARD
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 11:40:19 pm by Failbird105 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6